Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Any early keeper thoughts given this setup?

League rules: 10 teams. 2 QB, 2RB, 3WR, W/R Flex, TE. .5 PPR. Draft order is decided by cornhole tournament - the winner sets the draft order.

Keeper rules: keep 3 players each year in which they were last drafted. UFAs are kept in the 19th. Can have a player be on your roster for 3 seasons, then they go back into the pool.* Or you can trade them and the clock starts for their new team.

Possible Keepers:

Name - Round - Years of keeper eligibility remaining

Julio Jones - 1 - 2
Cam Newton - 2 - 2
LeVeon Bell - 4 - 1 (last year, will not be able to keep next year)
Allen Robinson - 7 - 2
Carson Palmer - 9 - 2
Latavius Murray - 19 - 1
Thomas Rawls - 19 - 3*

I figure chalk is keeping Jones, Newton, and Bell, and being happy that I arguably have the best players at each major position even if they are expensive picks. I have to keep Newton and Bell - either will definitely be the top overall pick if I don't keep them. Remember, this is a two QB league. Newton's probably the #1 overall player.

If I'm really confident in my cornhole skills (and I'm probably in the top 3 of this league, but the #1 guy is a savant) I could keep someone over Julio, counting on winning the tourney and giving myself the first free pick. Decision there is between Rawls and Robinson. Rawls has better value in terms of pick cost. Robinson is the better overall player. This is the one that I keep turning over in my head.

Carson Palmer is kind of a weird dark horse pick. The 2 QB rules really make it tough to find good players, and starting Newton and Palmer last year was a big part of my championship (Jones, Bell/Deangelo Williams, Tyler Eifert, and Allen Robinson helped a bit). If Palmer stays healthy and performs, it would be devastating to be rolling out 2 top 5 QBs again.

*There is a redshirt rule - since I picked up Rawls last year and never played him, 2015 doesn't count against his eligibility and I would get him for the next 3 seasons

Giodo! fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Chen Kenichi posted:

Could you clarify the keeper rules? It reads like you can keep 3 from each draft year, but do you mean you can keep 3 total, and the draft year only applies in terms of how long you can keep them?

Sorry, each season you can keep 3 players from your end of season roster. The year only matters in determining how long you can keep them. You basically get to keep a player a maximum of two times after their first year on your team.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

The three year clock is super dumb and super exploitable since as you said, it resets with a trade, and the draft round is preserved. Keep your three best guys and then trade them for other top talent with late round pick numbers just before your league's trade deadline.The best players will never become draftable and as time goes bye, many of them will be permanently tied to late round picks.

Chen Kenichi posted:

Assuming by winning you will draft last in the first round (no confidence in your cornholing) I would go with your original thought of Julio, Cam, and Bell. You are getting three 1st round talents (roughly picks 1, 6, 8 IMO for 2QB) with your first draft position being 10. You do have a resetting keeper clock and Bell is in your last year of keeping - what are your trade window rules? Once the season is done you lose him immediately? Trading during the season? I would be thinking about a swap of some sort so you can keep that first round talent if you have another owner in a similar position with similar value with the intention to keep who you swap for. Also can you do trades for draft picks? Robinson and Palmer are keeper-quality in their draft rounds that you cannot keep. Maybe trades for better picks with the two of them? This is quite complicated for a true analysis on what is best because there are so many variables involved.

Belatedly wanted to thank you both for the responses. The three year clock is dumb, but I've made the argument in the past and it is what it is. Adrian Peterson has always been a 6th round pick and has constantly changed hands.

Really appreciate the thoughts. Will be working trades to try to get something out of some of my keeper candidates whom I likely won't be hanging onto.

• Locked thread