Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Love me some sick pre-pre-pre-season Rotoburns:

Rotoworld posted:

Giants RB Andre Williams lost 10 pounds this offseason.

He now checks in at 220 pounds. The lost weight should allow him to slam into the backs of his blockers with more velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I don't like to draft anything but sure things* in the first, even at the end of the first. If it means grabbing a WR where normally I would have gone RB, so be it, but ideally you'd want to save that first round capital on one's historical production and likelihood of continuing that production.

*I know

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
My favorite observed reach last year in my buddy league was TY Hilton in the 2nd because poop.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
His nickname is Black Unicorn. And he gave it to himself. Tell me who else is more worthy of pre-season prognostication.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I guess the question I have is, does it matter that Coleman may be the better runner? As a coach in the NFL, looking at the season Freeman had last year, I can't see a reason not to let that play out. The Falcons offense last year was honestly really weird. Who would have though they would have torn poo poo up in the run game, while really struggling to score in the red zone with anyone other than Freeman. I still don't know how Julio had such a great season when the Falcons passing offense looked like dogshit at times. Definitely a testament to his ability to fight through double coverage to make plays. I really don't have much hope for Sanu drawing coverage off of Julio, but its at least intriguing in the new offense.

Sanu had a beastly barrage of output either last year or the year before, was it when AJ Green went down? My recollection is hazy but he's got the length to pull coverage.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Hyde vs the Vikings last season in Week 1 was probably the most exciting begin to a season I've ever had.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Imagine being there as a Hyde owner and a 49er season ticket holder!

Now imagine the rest of the season.

... :(

I can imagine ... as a lifelong Niners fan and fellow Hyde owner :(:hf::(

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
How does one even pronounce "Spoeank"?

Spoink?

Spank?

Spaynk?

Inquiring minds must know.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
There are a few words that contain "oea" but they are all snooty British variants on English words. I present to you:

Diarrhoea
Mesogloea
Apnoea

Being that these are pronounced "ee-ya", I maintain and posit that Spoeank is correctly pronounced as "speeyank" and therefore we are all wrong and everyone is dumber for having read this rambling, incoherent response.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
- Prepare to lose some friends

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

As long as you don't get a CJA in the first :laugh:

Thanks for the trigger warning.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I still can't believe CJA in the first was a thing

You too, rear end in a top hat

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

For any IDP people, Hau'oli Kikaha, 2nd round LB pick of the Saints last year that looked like he'd transition to DL this year and therefore probably be a nice pick up, tore his ACL.

Last year taught me not to trust hyphenated IDP.

I'm looking at you, Uani' 'Unga.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Goddamnit. This offseason was relatively decent until now in terms of players being shitlords.

This brings up an interesting question. When you draft players in fantasy, do you shy away from players who have done terrible things? Thinking Roethlisberger and AP would likely be at the top of people's hate list. I'm not saying I would never draft a player like this, but I haven't up to this point and I certainly don't look to draft them.

My friend and his wife tried trading Vick on the cheap when he rejoined the league. Nobody was interested and we were more like Why the hell did you draft him to begin with?

Same folks avoided Roethlisberger. I think it's silly but I have the moral standards of a den of Nazis.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I'm currently getting tut tutted and lectured on Twitter because I don't think ODB should be picked over AB84.

Why do I discuss this poo poo outside this thread.

Because they are right.

in Dope Catches leagues.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Also the Steelers will convert more 2-point plays than anyone else in the league because that how dey roll

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Why are we doing this T*m Br*dy thing? Is it like saying Voldemort's name or something?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Quote my post and read the text.

Tom Brady
Ted Cruz

Tom Brady
Ted Cruz

Oh but this is fun

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I also plan to cull my league from 8 to 4ish but I'm having trouble deciding which ones to drop.

You can take the goon out of the tier, but you can't take the tier out of the goon.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Well one of those tiers is supremely awesome and the other is milk-soaked dogshit, just so that we are clear

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
It may have been a perception thing. I noticed Jordan Matthews' dropsies more than others because I drafted him and they were probably wide open catches.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Such a Dolphins move.

I don't know what I mean by that but I'm sure you do.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
OH GOD

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Can I do this

Is this a thing that I can do

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Yup. When it rains it pours.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I am despondent and we're not even in pre-season yet.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

This sentence is trying too hard:

"Putting oneself in the best situation to weather pitfalls of drafting risky players tends to define the commonality found in those who end up reaping the rewards of these sleepers."

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

Also speaking of mid-tier players how would you guys rank C.J. Anderson, Carlos Hyde, Matt Forte, Latavius Murray, and Thomas Rawls?

In terms of sheer usage I think Hyde and Anderson are going to be near the top but Rawls feels like the safest bet.

If I can sub-tier them,

Murray
Rawls

Hyde
CJA

Forte

My approach is mostly from a workload + quality of offense perspective.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

Beer do you ever take into account coach profiles when doing these rankings? I've started compiling a data spreadsheet tracking historic total rushing attempts, passing attempts, targets, etc. of teams under current head coaches to try to find a pattern of significance for predicting future totals. This is working under my theory that no players matter except for the obvious elite guys that have the 'knack' and instead I should only be drafting based on usage values.

This is an interesting idea because we always read blurbs about so-and-so's offense as being RB- or TE-friendly, and such. And after the first few rounds, most people do look more at usage and possible threats from the bench.

At some point I think you will need to address coach vs OC and which one wears the play-calling pants.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

RCarr posted:

I decided to go against the conventional wisdom of the thread and kept LeVeon Bell in the 3rd, instead of CJ Anderson in the 18th.

I know the value of CJ Anderson in the 18th is better than LeVeon in the 3rd, but I had to take the sure thing on a great offense, rather than an average RB in one of the worst offenses in the league. I just can't take a season of defenses lining up 9 men in the box against Denver constantly.

Someone tell me I'm not an idiot.

Sup fellow LVB keeper. I don't blame your logic at all. CJA could get the same treatment that Hyde got last season. Good athlete in a predictable offense.

I kept Bell in the first and made getting Deangelo a priority. I recommend you have a plan for when you want to target him.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Spiros posted:

Do you get points for drops?

:thurman:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I'd like some advice on what to do with my No. 2 pick in the draft I'm scheduled to have tomorrow; All 14 teams kept 2 players of their choice and mine are A.J. Green & Drew Brees. Apparently the 1st pick is going to be Ezekiel Elliot and that leaves me next and I'm pretty undecided. It's a 1 ppr league, 6 pt rushing & receiving tds, 4 pt passing, that's pretty much the most important poo poo I guess.

Here's a list of the top 10 or so guys available at WR & RB that will be available to me to take 2nd

RB
Devonta Freeman
CJ Anderson
Doug Martin
Mark Ingram
Lesean McCoy
DeMarco Murray
Carlos Hyde
Thomas Rawls
Latavius Murray
Duke Johnson
Matt Forte

WR
Alshon Jeffrey
Keenan Allen
Demaryius Thomas
Sammy Watkins
Julian Edelman
Randall Cobb
Jarvis Landry
Golden Tate
Tyler Lockett
Donte Moncrief

I like Devonta Freeman here in 1ppr.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Chernabog posted:

Any advice for picking IDP? (just one)
I have no idea who to go for or when.

Look at your scoring and figure out if it prioritizes LBs, DBs or DL the most.

MLBs in 4-3 defenses tend to soak up tackles. For DBs, strong safeties tend to be more in the mix as far as points are concerned. DEs tend to get more sacks than DTs.

These are very very base generalizations that can give you at least some semblance of a strategy.

And do not draft on name recognition. The guys you probably would recognize are oldballs.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 25, 2016

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
This NFL channel bullshit is bullshit.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Rawls is still silly-good so he can't be counted out of the starting job just yet. Draft-discounted, certainly. C-Mike has made a case for potentially being one of those handcuffs that can still provide flex value in a pinch.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Prophecy120 posted:

Drafting 12th in a 12 team full PPR big money league. I'm thinking Zero-RB is the way to go and have been mocking my tail off. Roster usually ends up something like

1st. AJ Green/Brandon Marshall
2nd. Allen Robinson/Keenan Allen
3rd Randall Cobb/Golden Tate
4th CJ Anderson
5th Duke Johnson/Murray/Bernard
6th Wilson/Luck
7th John Brown/E.Sanders
8th Antonio Gates

Obviously you have to take what the draft gives you and planning picks beforehand isn't wise, but 90% of the mocks I've done this is how my lineup has looked. I'm good with having 3 stud WR to start the draft and usually end up with a high end QB in the 6th. My only real concern is the negative feedback I've been hearing about CJ Anderson and Murray this week. I was happy to have either of those guys as RB1&2 but now I'm getting worried.

Which Murray?

Not that it matters a whole lot, because both are OK if not solid RB2s.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I really don't think it'll matter outside of a few DFS plays, but my hot take is that Jared Abbederis is going to the the Packers' #3 WR before the fantasy playoffs start

I was hyping him all up during the Goontier A draft only because I wanted our sole autodrafter to get his players in alphabetical order

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

Is this the place for me to back off my Laquon Treadwell pick?

My-loving-word :barf:

Also, see Zypher's post above. Goontier is looking for fine goons like you.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

His knee is literally gone!

His knee is in a better place :dings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
This news about Jamaal Charles coming on slowly has coaxed me to drop Derek Carr (1 QB league) for Spencer Ware.

• Locked thread