Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
BeerSheets!

old dog child posted:

Goon Fantasy Football IRC
There's always people idling. Stress about your flex in real time!
#fantasyfootball
irc.synirc.net
Mibbit link

Welcome back Fantasy Sports Fans, it's 2016. It's officially time to be wrong 40% of the time at best get ready for some fake football!

In addition to the links below you can also check out this list from Dynasty League Football. This Reddit post also has a ton of useful information.

Free League Hosting Services
  • ESPN: ESPN is stable and reliable system that's fairly powerful. It's the one I personally use and have no complaints.
  • CBS: The grandaddy. There are both free and premium subscriptions.
  • Yahoo: Yahoo has a somewhat clunky interface and terrible “experts” but it’s free and not terribly hard to use.
  • NFL.com: Flashy interface and integrated video, the NFL seems to be sinking some money into the site. The draft interface is unfortunate.
  • Fleaflicker: It’s a free site and very highly reviewed. The interface is spartan and information-driven and league customization options are deep.
Premium League Hosting Services
  • My Fantasy League: Allows the greatest range of league customization options (both the league web site and rules). Winner of multiple FSTA League Manager Product awards. Fantastic for dynasty, and well worth the $60 it costs to run a league each year.
Useful Free Resources
  • NBC Rotoworld: THE source for examining specific players and getting news on them. I don't even bother using their on-site search engine; just Google "Rotoworld (Player Name)" and it'll pop right up.
  • Football Guys: Has a free daily newsletter that I consider mandatory. It provides you with updates and alerts about players. They also have a really nice amount of content should you subscribe.
  • FantasyFootballCalculator: The current standard for mock drafting. It's a good place to find other people and get some experience with the pace of drafting. Another new mock draft site that's generating some buzz is SnapDraft. I haven't had a chance to use it myself.
  • FantasyPros: An immensely helpful aggregrator, taking data from all sorts of sources and providing a consensus of their thoughts. Personally I think this is the best method for looking at projections and predictions, as to be honest at best people will be around 60% correct. They also have a free weekly cheat sheet where you can input your team and get back projections; if you have multiple teams it's worth dropping the cash for the premium edition.
  • Reddit Fantasy Football: They're very active and frequently post new information and articles. Probably one of the easiest ways to pick up new info, and the community is well moderated.
  • Bleacher Report Fantasy Football Newsletter: Varg recommends this newsletter as a useful source of NFL information and sit/start advice.
  • Pro Football Reference: More statistics than is probably healthy for any particular person. If you're at the point in your fantasy football progression where you're consulting sites like this for information then congratulations, you're one of us.
Useful Premium Resources
  • 4For4: Known for their accuracy, and one of the premium services I subscribe to.
  • Rotoviz: Premium article-heavy site full of interesting analysis and data driven projections. One of my favorites.
  • Dynasty League Football: This site offers advice specific to dynasty leagues. I consider this a mandatory subscription unless you're in my dynasty league.
  • Pro Football Focus: Additional projections and fantasy news.
  • DraftCalc: Known for bold projections. Also a fair number of fantasy articles and projections.
Useful League Resources
  • LeagueSafe: Online fantasy league escrow service. It has some limitations (no in-season transactions), but the fees are low and I had a great experience with it.
  • Clicky Draft: Online free draft board. I used this last year in my family league to put the board on our flat screen.
  • Draft Night: Online draft web board with multiple apps. I haven't used it yet.
ADP, Rankings and Projections

Twitter
Want to know when a previously unheard of player is starting, or that your stud is out for the game because of a DUI? Twitter is your friend! These recommendations come from Dirt Worshipper and Azhais.

Football Guys
@Sigmundbloom Produces the excellent "Audible" podcast. My favorite follow.
@MattWaldman Writes the Rookie Scouting Portfolio. I'm not sure he sleeps.
@JeneBramel MD and Football Guy, excellent for injury updates on gameday morning and IDP advice

Misc. Writers
@4for4_Paul - from 4for4, most accurate guy the last couple years
@ChrisWesseling Former writer for NBC rotoworld, works for Falcons media now I think. Not sure if he's still gonna do fantasy when 2013 rolls around. If he does, he's one of the best, and well worth the follow.
@dpbrugler Dane Brugler, former NFL scout and writer for CBS, good follow.
@SC_DougFarrar Doug Farrar of shutdown corner
@LanceZierlein Runs thesidelineview.com, great follow
@Dumonjic_Alen Bleacher report/sidelineview contributor, player evals. Smart kid.

Pro Football Focus
@MikeClayNFL Accurate, prolific, one of the better writers
@JeffRatcliffe Great for IDP
@PFF_RossMiles Also great for IDP, does a weekly IDP show with Ratcliffe
@dynastytim used to write for Dynasty League Football, just joined PFF. Great dynasty follow.

NFL Guys
@AlbertBreer
@gregcosell
@mortreport
@AdamSchefter

Varg posted:

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Podcasts
Just listen to Azhais:

Azhais posted:

:words:

I listen/have listened to approximately all the podcasts. A common theme in the ones I don't like: acting like they are funnier than they are/trying to make it like some sort of morning talk show. I like my (fantasy) football news to be as dry and informative as possible. Ordering here is pretty much straight off the podcast app on my phone so don't read into the ordering.

The Most Accurate Podcast (4for4.com): So far it is pretty content lite (it only started up in March and is focused on redraft leagues, so not real surprising) and is mostly an advertisement for itself (:iiam: if I'm listening to the podcast I probably already know about it). 4 for 4 has been one of the most accurate sites for a few years now, so I'll give this one a go til the start of the season anyway.

Shutdown corner (Yahoo): Football news, not fantasy, but Greg Cossell knows his stuff. If you're just interested in general football chat/draft talk, this one is pretty good.

Under the Helmet (DLF): Done by Chad Parsons of dynastyleaguefootball.com (and formerly of PFF I believe). This is about as dry and informative as it gets, even for me. Chad talks like someone on classical NPR, almost whispering into the mic. But he's very informative and very stats/numbers heavy. Primarily focused on dynasty and keeper leagues and he's big on discussing measurables and doing player comparisons.

Fantasytaz: Fantasy Football Power Hour: Not a fan and I don't listen to it anymore. He's got some good information for redraft leagues, but I can't deal with his personality. Lots of people like him, and I follow him on twitter because he actually has some good observations, but he's a little more boisterous than I like out of my radio shows. Shallow complaint to be sure.

Draft Countdown (draftcountdown.com): NFL draft and prospect talk. I like to keep up on the up and comers for dynasty purposes and Scott Wright puts on a good show. Minimal fantasy value outside of dynasty, but if you want to know all about the trials and tribulations of your favourite team's newly drafted backup right guard, this is the place to be.

DLF podcast (dynastyleaguefootball.com): One of my favorites for the offseason anyway. Lots of discussion of the teams and depth charts and waiver advice and sleepers for your dynasty league. Of marginal value for redrafts I expect, but if I can only listen to one or two podcasts some week, this is one of them.

NFL draft tracker (NFL.com): More prospect talk. I rarely end up listening to this one because it ends up being mostly sportscaster style interviews with the recent draftees (aka every running back Who do you feel you pattern your game after? Adrian Peterson), but leading up to the draft they had some pretty decent views on the prospects. Again, very low fantasy value.

Pro Football Focus Fantasy: They have 4 shows.
Quick Snap- Redraft focused. Like all of PFF's podcasts they are heavily numbers based, and being the offseason they are fairly content light at the moment, mostly discussing mock drafts and early projections. I quite like both of the hosts and this is on my short list to listen to each week, tho they need to drop their fake sponsors because the bits aren't that funny (This week's show brought to you by S-Mart!).
The Dynasty Slant- Their dynasty show. Like all dynasty shows the present discussions are on new startups, a lot of trade analysis in the offseason, breakout candidates, waiver stashes, etc. Also on my short list each week.
The Nickel- Their IDP show. Redraft and Dynasty discussions about all things IDP and who is gaining/losing value based on position and scheme changes, who is likely to acquire more or less work, how new rookies are going to displace veterans. Ross Miles breaks it all down with a sexy British accent (if you're in to that sort of thing). An absolute must listen if you do IDP leagues, and Ross has been one of the most accurate IDP analysts for a while now.
The Mike and Taz show- Redraft oriented. Another Fantasy Taz show, which means I don't listen to it because I don't like loud.

Fantasy Football Weekly (KFAN): One of the grand daddy fantasy football radio shows from KFAN in Minnesota. Entirely redraft oriented and offline during the offseason. This airs for two hours every Saturday morning during the regular season which means they aren't at all helpful for Thursday games, but I quite enjoy them overall. They might fall off my list somewhat depending on how I end up liking 4for4's regular season content as one can only listen to so many Sit/Start radio shows, which is the primary focus of this one.

Fantasy Focus Football (ESPN): Matthew Berry's daily fantasy show. Rapidly falling off my list just due to how much random crap they do that isn't all that focused on fantasy football (this goes back to my morning radio complaint up top), but I do make a point to listen to the Thursday (or Friday? its been a while since the regular season) show when they do the injury updates/training camp reports. Other than that they have a lot of gimmick shows, and a lot of sit/start type advice. As entertaining as listening to some pro wrestler grade trades is I spend my time elsewhere most of the time.

The Audible (footballguys.com): Pretty much everything FBG does is decent, and the Audible is no different. Others have already discussed this one, so I'll leave it there. I could do without the rap intros however. FBG also does "On the Couch" which is their live show with various guests, and that one is pretty hit or miss depending on the guests/topics.

FFToolbox: Fantasy Football Toolbox, in contrast to their name, is a pretty general fantasy sports site. I've found its real hit or miss if the show is going to be about football, or baseball, or hockey (or all three). Perhaps during the regular season it is more focused, but I've taken it off my subscription list just because I don't like the Fantasy Sports Roulette that the podcast seems to be. I might give it a shot again once the season starts up, but I've got enough to listen to :effort:

Tuesdays with Aaron: Aaron Rodgers' weekly show :allears:

There are a variety of others that I've taken off my subscription lists just due to volume of things I listen to, low content, or just being too gameshow-y (or just not liking the hosts for one reason or another.) CBS's podcast, NFL fantasy live, dynasty football warehouse, the fantasy football guys (not to be confused with the football guys), probably others.

tl;dr- Send Help

Also Dren:

Dren posted:

You should add Christopher Harris's Fantasy Underground (available on iTunes) podcast to the podcast list.

Introduction
Fantasy Football is the ancient art of nerds pouring over statistics in the hopes of predicting how infinitely more athletic and successful men will perform over the course of a professional football game. In recent history it has become a billion dollar industry while infusing itself into the collective psyche of the NFL. Countless podcasts, articles, websites, and every other source under the sun have sprung up in support of what is essentially glorified socialized gambling. There's even a television show about a league. Fantasy Football is basically Dungeons & Dragons for jocks football fans. You assemble a roster of individual players from across the National Football League, and then each week the individual performance of the player is tracked and scored. Positive actions like passing, catching, scoring touchdowns, or making field goals give you points. In some leagues negative actions like fumbles, interceptions, or missing a field goal can take away points. At the end of each Monday Night Football game your total score is added up to determine how well you did that week. In many leagues you are pitted against another team for a head-to-head match that determines a winner and a loser. At the end of the season the teams with the most wins will participate in a playoff tournament. The winner of the playoffs will be the champion.

The leagues themselves vary from friendly to insane, including at least one where the loser gets a tattoo chosen by the winner. Other leagues have pots worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or byzantine rules about relegation, delegation, salary caps, and every other statistic under the sun. We are collectively insane, and we can't get enough. Fantasy Football itself is a lot of fun. Not only do you get to make a game out of watching football, but it also forces you to learn about the sport as a whole. I would never have known (or cared) that last year Darren McFadden was struggling with the Raider's transition from a power blocking scheme to a zone block until he became my first round draft pick and started costing me games. It makes you a better fan when you know all the players on the field. Dirt Worshipper said it best:

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Before I played fantasy I despised it. We all know the obnoxious guy at the sports bar in the Brady jersey, running in between TV’s screaming ”Throw Jennings the ball!”. They disagree fundamentally with the lessons our fathers taught us about football: You root for your home team, through good years and bad. The bad years are meant to be borne with grim fidelity, the good years are our reward. Fantasy was just wrong.
But then I tried it. I joined a work league and had a blast. Rooting for your “real” football team and your fantasy one are not (usually) mutually exclusive. You need not become that guy. Fantasy has not made me a worse fan. On the contrary, my knowledge of the entire league has grown. I’m able to really enjoy more than one game every Sunday. If you love football, give fantasy a try.

The Basics
A league consists of several owners (typically 12), one of whom is the commissioner who manages the league. At the beginning of the season each owner drafts a roster of players. Rosters are typically fifteen players and consist of starters and a bench of reserve players to replace starters who are injured or on bye weeks. A typical starting lineup that will mirror NFL positions and consist of 1 Quarterback (QB), 2 Running Backs (RB), 3 Wide Receivers (WR), 1 Tight End (TE), a Place Kicker (PK), and a Team Defense/Special Teams (DST).

Each week your players will score points for your team according to their performance. Scoring can be very simple or incredibly complicated depending on the league, but many leagues use a standard scoring system where passing provides 1 point per 25 yards, 4 points per passing touchdown, and -1 point per interception and receiving and rushing gain 1 point per 10 yards, 6 points per receiving/rushing touchdown. Field goals are typically worth 3 points, and team defense scoring depends on a number of factors including sacks, interceptions, points allowed, defensive touchdowns, etc. Many leagues will use different scoring systems depending on the preferences of the players. One significant difference is PPR, or Points Per Reception, where wide receiver are awarded a set number of points (typically 0.5 or 1) for every reception.

The league season will go for a set number of weeks during the regular NFL season. Typically the last two to four weeks of the regular season are reserved for the playoffs, and most leagues end on the sixteenth week because many NFL teams will sit their star players in Week 17 if the outcome doesn't matter.

Variations
There are many roster variations that different leagues will use. Many leagues use a flex position where different positions can fit into a slot. The most common form of flex position replaces the third WR position in the standard lineup above with a WR/RB/TE flex position. That means that any Wide Receiver, Running Back, or Tight End player could be used in that slot. Leagues where that flex position allows a QB are typically called "2 QB leagues" because quarterbacks typically score far more points that other players. Other leagues utilize IDP or Individual Defensive Players instead of Team Defenses. IDP players score points for tackles, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns, etc. Many leagues are several years old and include rules to provide continuity between seasons. In contrast to a redraft league where every player is drafted at the start of each season some leagues use keepers where team owners are allowed to keep a set number of players per year. Other leagues are dynasty leagues where the entire roster is kept from year to year. Typically dynasty leagues use much deeper benches and include a rookie draft.

The Draft
Every league starts with a draft, where team owner pick their players. There are two major types of draft; the snake draft and the auction draft. A snake draft is where every owner receives a draft position and then picks a player in order for a number of rounds equal to the roster size. It's called a snake draft because the order "snakes" back and forth each round. In other words the owner who picked last in the first round will pick first in the second. Auction drafts are where each team owner has a set budget and they bid for each player until everyone's roster has been filled. There are numerous drafting strategies out there, but ultimately the goal of any draft is to get the maximum amount of value for your players.

Trades and the Waiver Wire
While drafting is essential, the most successful teams typically win by taking advantage of the waiver wire and trades. Trading is precisely what it sounds like; players offer each other trades that are accepted or rejected. Many leagues incorporate an approval process to prevent collusion where two players will deliberately stack one team and then split the winnings; there is no universe where Adrian Peterson is worth Mark Sanchez. Depending on the league trading may either be nonexistent or commonplace. Many leagues will end trading several weeks before the playoffs begin.

The NFL has hundreds of players and most of them will not be on a team roster. As players are injured or fall out of favor team owners will be forced to pick up free agents to replace them. To do this they use the waiver wire. Each week individual players are locked the moment their team starts their game. For the duration of this "waiver period" owners who wish to claim a free agent submit a "waiver claim." Owners who wish to make more than one waiver claim must indicate the priority of their claims. At the end of the waiver period (typically a day or two after the beginning of the new week) the league software checks the standings of the teams. Going in reverse order (worst standing to highest) the teams get their highest priority claim. If multiple teams have submitted waiver claims for the same player it will go the team with the lowest standing, and the other teams will get their lower priority claims. After the waiver period has ended every player is available to be claimed immediately. The waiver wire is extremely important. Alfred Morris, the 5th ranked running back of 2012, was a free agent in most leagues until the first week. Many owners use the waiver wire to "stream" defenses and other players based on that week's match.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

timp posted:

Slow draft time. Let's slow draft.

Slow draft? Slow draft.

Absolutely. Either reply here or PM me and let me know if you want in for a draft only MFL league starting as soon as I get 12 people. I'll need e-mail addresses to invite people.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

coronaball posted:

In again for a slow draft.

The gambling addict in me would like to put a $10 entry fee on the slow draft. Or we could have a free one and a $10 one.

Let's make this one free, but I have no doubt others would be down for some MFL10s.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

I can't slow draft because I'll be in the Bahamas & Santa Barbara on my honeymoon for two weeks
:cry:
(humblebrag)

Also that podcast list may need an overhaul.

Fantasy Underground is out, Harris Football Podcast is in(sufferable).

Fantasy Footballers may be better than any podcast in the OP

I am down for burning the whole list and starting over with Goon Approved sources.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rahzmataz posted:

Got 2 spaces? Me and the missus are looking for a league. She's not a goon, but I can vouch for her.

This isn't a league, just a draft. You two are welcome to draft though!

Also if you want a rather crazy league my charity one is always looking for more!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rahzmataz posted:

Well I feel like a dumbass. Also, tell me more about this charity league!

It's called "Cheating For Charity" and we all play for our own charities, with the pot going to the top two teams in the championship game. It's an IDP league and a key mechanic is that players can donate to increase their FAAB and cheat by swapping out players after they've done well.

In the three years I have done it we've raised over $7K. The competition is fierce.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rahzmataz posted:

That actually sounds really fun, and we're up for the idea of giving to charity. Can you PM me some details?

Here's last year: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728593

Spoeank posted:

Oh God Cheating for Charity is going to be 20 teams next year isn't it

:stonk:

And the best part is you can cheat in the finals to steal away the title.

Like me. Technically the league champ.

Technical champ best champ.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VietCampo posted:

Top 3 WR's are AB/Julio/Hopkins imo

I would say OBJ has earned the right to be among those names.

For me the unquestioned first rounders this year are Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Odell Beckham Jr, and Rob Gronkowski. Everyone else has a question mark. LeVeon Bell, Jamaal Charles, and Dez Bryant are coming off of injury. Adrian Peterson is getting older. Todd Gurley and David Johnson are sophomores. Allen Robinson and AJ Green have questionable QB situations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RVProfootballer posted:

2QB, dynasty, full PPR, 4 PT passing TD, which side do you like for two teams looking to compete:

Julio Jones, Teddy Bridgewater, pick 1.10
vs
Cam Newton, Allen Hurns

Team getting Cam needs QB help (only has Teddy, Eli, and Foles), but doesn't really have the depth to lose Julio (probably starting two or three of Marvin Jones, Kevin White, and Rishard Matthews weekly). Team getting Julio would be starting Teddy or Alex Smith as QB2 behind Big Ben after losing Cam, but would be rolling out easily the strongest WR corps (Julio, AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Devante Parker).

I would not make that trade if I was the team with Cam Newton. Having Newton and Big Ben is a ridiculously solid core, and in 2015 dropping from Newton to Smith/Teddy would have resulted in a loss of around 7 (for Smith) to 11 (for Bridgewater) points per game. Last year Allen Hurns was the WR14, and the difference between Julio and Allen last year was only 4 PPG. Now is it possible that Newton regresses and Bridgewater improves? Sure. But Cam Newton's worst season since 2011 averaged him 17.8 PPG. In a 2QB league Newton's value is incredible and it would take a king's ransom to let him go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This Reddit link is cool and good.

RVProfootballer posted:

You don't think Hurns likely regresses significantly? 10 TDs seems very unlikely again, no? And are you sure that's his full PPR ranking? Looks like he was WR19 in total points and WR23 in ppg in this league, for what it's worth. Hurns averaged 15 ppg, and Julio 23 ppg.

But yeah, certainly should take a ton to get Newton. I see it as Cam slightly more valuable than Julio, but that small difference + Bridgewater + 1.10 is plenty for a Hurns that'll likely regress and a Bridgewater that will likely improve at least a little over the next few years.

I based the numbers off of FantasyPros, and I thought I had selected PPR. In the end it all depends on our individual perspectives. I think Hurns will regress, sure, but I also think Davante Parker will improve and could easily be a WR1 or WR2 this year. More specifically I think that the PPG disparity between Newton and his replacement will be significantly greater than the disparity between Julio and Hurns or Parker. So in my eyes I wouldn't want that trade.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zypher posted:

Good god do I want to be in another slow draft?

Of course I do

Veritek83 posted:

Definitely down for a goon MFL draft only

Cervixalot posted:

I'm in again this year.

coronaball posted:

In again for a slow draft.

The gambling addict in me would like to put a $10 entry fee on the slow draft. Or we could have a free one and a $10 one.

Rahzmataz posted:

Got 2 spaces? Me and the missus are looking for a league. She's not a goon, but I can vouch for her.

VietCampo posted:

I'd like in on this slow draft if there's still space.

Spoeank posted:

If the slow draft starts a week from Sunday or later I am down, like always. But I know there will be another one otherwise.

There's always another one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774787

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: Two spaces left in the Slow Draft! :siren:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What podcasts do people like? My preference is for the Fantasy Footballers and CBS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Preliminary BeerSheet...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Oh my god, Tom Brady. I guess this takes into account the 4-game suspension.

Would not have figured Olsen was behind anyone but Gronk.

Remind me what's the SK column, again?

Really like the colors. Really like the names being separate from the team/bye week, makes it easier to sort ranges, copy/paste into rotoworld, etc.

Not sure I'd put Zeke above Charles, even with Charles' injury history.

SK is skewness. I'm goofing around with using nonparametric skew since it's easier for me to comprehend and the Wikipedia article includes a quantitative definition of a significant amount of skew. It represents the extent to which the data is unevenly distributed, suggesting the possibility that a player's calculated value could change significantly if the highest or lowest values were truncated. A positive sign indicates that someone might be dragging down a player's value, negative sign means the opposite. I use it as a way to differentiate players within a tier.

If someone with a background in statistics could help me understand if this is a terrible idea I'd appreciate it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I know, it's tough to frame it accurately. Anything like "I would have so and so ranked higher" implies Beer ranked them lower, at least that's the default for me. Insert an implied "[than Beersheets have them]" rather than "[than Beer ranked them]" and I think it's good.

It's okay. I don't take it personally and since I'm the one aggregating all these projections it's fair to call my methods out. For example Tom Brady definitely doesn't deserve to be that low.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Is it really a methodology issue? You are just stating what the current consensus is?

Yup. I don't put any personal input into the system if that's what you mean. What I do is have each estimate calculate player value relative to a baseline and then run statistics on the collection of values. The method inherently depreciates anyone who misses games due to injury or suspension. For example if I took Brady's projections and divided them by 11 games instead of 15 it would result in a much higher value and he would likely be viable at his ADP. You could probably stream a QB to make up for the lost games, but the sheets don't take into account the possibility of streaming two players for a season. It's one of the reasons I added the result of the previous season; I wanted a rubric for showing how consistent a player could be. For example last year Eric Decker was at least a WR3 in all fourteen games he played, but he was only a WR1 for one of them. That's a pretty good floor; even Antonio Brown missed out on being a WR3 in five of his games. Obviously previous performance is not always an indicator of future potential, but it's better than nothing.

Some folks use my sheets like a ranking list and grab whoever has the highest value. That method can work, but I'm doing my best to make a tool that's even more powerful than that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silly Burrito posted:

Early question for the upcoming year. Who to keep out of Jamaal Charles, Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and CJ Anderson? No penalties or rounds to worry about, just keep 2.

I've been thinking Charles/Rawls but keep hearing that Lacy looks really good. I got burned by him last year...am I missing something?

Keep two this year, one next is interesting. What are the actual rules? That you can keep two players for their first year or one player for their second?

I would keep Charles and Lacy. I don't like that Seattle picked up all that competition for Rawls.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silly Burrito posted:

It's on a three year cycle. You keep any two players this year (my only other keepers I'd consider would be Mike Evans/Tom Brady). Next year, you only get one keeper (does not have to be the same as previous year). The third year, there are no keepers and everyone is in the draft pool.

We also determine draft order by who wins the consolation bracket of the playoffs, not worst team. Whoever wins that bracket gets whatever pick from 1-14. Second in that bracket gets next pick, and so on. Worst two teams end up picking seventh/eighth, and then the playoff bracket teams in reverse order.

Using the consolation bracket gives everyone something to play for and discourages deliberate tanking. One guy pulled all his starters in the last week (he forgot about the rule), giving his opponent an easy win, and he slid to second worst record, just missing the consolation bracket. We laughed at him. :)

That's kind of cool, and honestly depending on the rules Mike Evans might not be a bad pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Super fun kicker chat.

I'm starting to think that drafting Gostkowski a few rounds before the end of the draft isn't the dumbest idea in the world.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VietCampo posted:

So you're telling me to draft him with my next pick in the slow draft?

Probably.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Drunk Nerds posted:

How many more points did he average per game than the 12th highest-scoring kicker? In 2014 it was a slim 2.2

2.2 PPG is the difference between the WR24 and the WR12. It's not slim.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

MFL10 ADP since May 10:

:stare::stare::stare::stare: Zeke at seven

It's scary how good his prospects are. The best line in the league with a team showing signs of emphasizing the power running game. It's pretty tempting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Drafting near the end and getting a stud WR and AJ Green on the turn seems like a good way to go about things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
drat, solid analysis.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I'm experimenting with a way to prognosticate the selection of players based on ADP. I'm not sure how useful the method here is going to be, but it provides a pretty graph in the lower right and gives me a chance to talk about it. The basic idea is that I take Fantasy Football Calculator's ADP data and use the mean and standard deviation of each player to establish a probability curve. I then use those curves to determine the probability that a player of each position (QB, RB, WR, TE) will be taken. I do this by determining the probability that each player of a given position won't be taken, multiplying all of them together to get the probability that none of them will be taken, and then subtract that from one to get the probability that at least one will be taken.

It's not a perfect system (ideally it would always add up to 100% for each draft spot, in reality it's closer to 90%) but it does provide some interesting results and trends.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

Being a top-10 pick based on your ADP does not make you worth that pick. Do we need to remember what happened to CJA last year when he was a top-10 pick? If anyone can explain to me why DJ is actually WORTH a top-10 pick, and not just say that's where his ADP is, I would love to hear it.

It's a valid question. I think his high ADP is a reflection of the uncertainty of the RB position. He is one of the few players to have a high chance of being an actual bellcow in a high tempo offense, and when he was finally given the starting role last year he performed at an extremely high level. He averaged 4.6 YPC over 125 carries and in spite of getting single digit carries for the first 12 Weeks he ended up as the RB7 in standard scoring. A significant portion of that performance was through the air; nearly half of his yards and a third of his touchdowns were receptions. All offseason signs are that he'll have an ever greater role to play in Arizona's offense, and with little in the way of competition there isn't much to hurt his floor of a RB1.

Other RBs are just as unproven. Bell was severely injured (again), Gurley had a solid season but who knows about the sophomore slump and the situation in LA, Freeman has Coleman as competition, Peterson is old, Elliott is a rookie, Charles is coming off of injury, and Miller is on a new team. So his first round grade is a combination of high performance, great opportunity, and a lack of elite prospects.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ingram scares me. His injury history is extremely high and if history is any indicator he'll miss around 4 games. I would gladly take Martin over him, and with respect to ADP it's pretty easy to do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
FYI anyone up for spending money on Fantasy, Rotopass is cool and good. They have a code (EARLY) for 10% off.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Benne posted:

Today in "hey remember that guy?" news, former The Next Aaron Hernandez Except Without the Murder Tim Wright tore his ACL

This has been your daily "hey remember that guy?" update

And so It Begins.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

So, Beer, have you ever considered trying out something like UNU to generate your beersheets?

http://unanimous.ai/

What the hell is that?

EDIT: Huh. Kind of cool. So it's a wisdom of the crowds kind of thing. It's actually very similar to how BeerSheets work.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Anywho, I'm about to write an article that's basically FF for newbies (the site I write for is primarily a lifestyle site). I'm thinking:

- K/DST late
- stream QBs or get 2 of the QB 10 - 15 range (QBs would be how I would explain VBD)
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

Anything else I might be overlooking? I'm pretty much the fantasy football guy so I have no one to bounce anything off of there that's of any value.

Check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/4h6n0i/draft_strategies_tips_2016_edition/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Draft Gostkowski in the 8th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Updated BeerSheets and did one for 0 PPR. Also shows off the draft predictor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/4mb3dy/beersheets_early_june_0ppr_edition/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

Okay we need some action in this thread so here are a few "sleepers" or guys who will be under-drafted that I have been considering far too early.

1. Allen Hurns - I actually don't see his production as a #2 regressing that much next year. I think the Jags have something special with the Allens and Hurns will continue to produce as at least a WR3 for a pick in the 6th or later.
2. Mark Ingram - He will likely go higher in competitive leagues but as a fellow poster pointed out to me, I completely undervalued him in my initial projections. It's easy to do when his numbers are more consistent than flashy.
3. Devante Parker - He finished out the season with some stellar numbers and with the departure of Matthews, he is definitely the #2 receiving option and has a chance to break out this year when defenses focus on Landry.
4. Marvin Jones - He is a receiver I will target at 10+ because I think the risk is worth the reward. He has shown flashes of great play and is going into an offense where the #1 receiver has exited. I am absolutely not saying he can fill Megatron's shoes, but his only competition is Tate and Ebron so the potential is there.
5. Austin Sefarian Jenkins - Loved Spoeank''s post on Tight End and i will be hitting the late round flier group like I did with Eifert last year
6. Eric Ebron - Same reasons as Jones in terms of opportunity, saw a lot of red zone targets and hopefully he continues to develop
7. Alfred Morris - I feel like he will be a TD vulture in the Cowboys offense and has the potential to carry a decent burden of the carries if Dallas decides to ease in Elliott. 10+ pick for me.
8. Dion Lewis - Currently going in the mid 5th but I think he slips to at least the 6th where I will be happy to take him.

I'll do more as they come to me. As always feel free to tear it apart.

Comments are based on a 10 team, 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1FLX league with 0.5 PPR.

Allen Hurns: Not much has changed between this year and last when Hurns put up 8 games as a WR3 and 4 as a WR1. Last year's WR14, I'm not entirely sure why his ADP is the middle of the 6th and his value projection has him as a borderline WR3. At least based on my projections I won't be drafting him. Jordan Matthews is a full two tiers ahead of him and goes around the same time, and his tier is filled with other late round gems like Devante Parker, Marvin Jones, and Torrey Smith. That said there's nothing preventing his upside from going high and the Jaguars look to be heading in the right direction so anyone who feels the need to "reach" for him isn't really looking terrible.

Mark Ingram: I won't be drafting Ingram. While he pulled RB2 or better games in 10 of the 12 games he played last year, he hasn't had a full healthy season since 2012. Of course there's nothing preventing you from drafting Tim Hightower late (he's currently undrafted) as a handcuff, but given the depth at RB this year I'd rather use that third round pick on a Brandon Marshall (assuming Fitzmagic is back) or Demaryius Thomas.

Devante Parker: Projections have him in the same tier as Hurns but going a full round later. He pulled WR3 numbers in 3 of the 8 games he played, but again the opportunity cost is a question. Should I draft a player like Parker on upside, or go for a player like Decker (again assuming Fitzmagic is back) who scored WR3 numbers in every game he played? I like Parker and have high hopes for the Miami offense in general, but it's hard to grab him when there are so many value plays I could pick up instead.

Marvin Jones: Once again we're in the same tier as Parker and Hurns, only now with an ADP of 11 there's a solid chance he'll be available. I think Detroit is going to do well with their new offensive coordinator and think everyone in this offense is underrated.

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins: He's basically free at this point. Projections remain super low (he's barely above Jimmy Graham and four of the seven players in his tier go undrafted), but if you believe the injury label is off and Tampa's offense will improve then he's worth taking a flyer on. That said there are other players ranked up in a higher tier that are drafted behind him and might be worth taking instead, like Julius Thomas or...

Eric Ebron: Ebron is projected as the TE11 in an offense that I expect to do well. If you're not interested in going with an elite prospect (incidentally Reed is currently projected to be in the same tier as Gronk) then drafting him late is a solid idea.

Alfred Morris: I love Alf and was sad to see him leave Washington. That said I'm not convinced he's worth drafting. I think it's more likely that if Elliott isn't the bellcow people expect (and I am not a fan of drafting rookies as starters), but there's nothing about Morris that stands out relative to McFadden. I mean he's a reliable and awesome guy, and behind that line it's hard not to love him, but I consider him to be solidly a flyer in a season where there are plenty of other RBs to snag late.

Dion Lewis: His ADP is 5.3, his ADP is 5.3, but his projections lump him in with the likes of Duke Johnson and Jay Ajayi (albeit with a skew that suggests a high level of upside). The reason? Two projections (FantasySharks and Rotowire) have him basically unstartable and that's dragging his value down. My guess is that they aren't as wiling to trust a NE RB as others.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/RotoPass/status/739536822913671168

I've been pretty drat happy with RotoPass myself.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

I'm putting together a piece called "ADPs That Make No Sense" and Dion Lewis is the reason why. Total steal.

Is it? He's recovering from an ACL tear, and while we've seen significant improvements in recovery there's no guarantee that he comes back in the same form he was last year. While New England did nothing to address the RB position in the draft, LeGarrette Blount is only 29 and has plenty left in the tank. Lewis's ADP of 5.3 is not a place I would be drafting a player with that level of risk. There are plenty of other RBs going around him that would be worth considering like DeMarco Murray, Carlos Hyde, and Latavius Murray. WRs going around that point include Golden Tate, Jeremy Maclin, Randall Cobb, or Doug Baldwin. You could even luck out and get Jordan Reed who has an ADP in the middle of the fourth but could easily slide.

The earlier the pick the lower my tolerance for risk, and I don't think the upside Lewis offers is sufficient to warrant drafting him at his ADP.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Forever_Peace posted:

Why is Cobb going so late? Didn't he play nearly all of last year with a shoulder injury?

I assume it's a combination of poor performance, the return of Nelson, and a run on RBs in the round ahead of him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

draft_helium.png

LOL Rookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
In the end Fantasy Football is just dumb entertainment. How people choose to enjoy that entertainment is up to them. For some that entertainment is better experienced by avoiding certain players. For others it's purely a competitive numbers game.

• Locked thread