Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
So Zeke Elliott is the 1.01 pick in redraft leagues, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'd honestly take ODB over anyone else but I do think Elliott's a candidate for RB1 in a weak year for RBs. He could make magic behind that line.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Personally, I am not touching a TE coming off ankle surgery. Bothersome ankle injuries can easily ruin a dude's season.

Besides, Jordan Reed is going to be the only non-Gronk TE worth owning anyway.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Reed is going to be outscored by at least three non-Gronk TEs. Walker, Olsen, Eifert, random guy we've never heard of, Ertz, Kelce, Green, Jimmy Graham's ghost, etc etc. TE is a shitshow, don't reach for Reed after he's had one healthy, contract year season.
Reach for Reed all day, every day. That Washington offense is going to produce, they're going to do it through the air, and Reed will be the number one option. Gronk is better than him because Gronk is a monster but watch Reed's tape and you'll see none of the other TEs have his chops as a receiver. I absolutely believe this is breakout talent in his prime and will provide a competitive advantage at TE this year even if drafted early.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 25, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'm bullish on Bennett too. The Pats use two TE formations a lot more often than you'd think just by looking at the reception totals for guys like Chandler/Wright/Hoomanawui. He'll see a lot of red zone usage too as he'll be able to create excellent opportunities for one-on-one mismatches. Even Tim Wright had 6 TDs when he was with the Pats. Bennett should get 8+ so I really like him as bargain TE2 option.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I just don't get it. Wright had 250 yards to go along with those 6 touchdowns. Chandler had 250ish yards and 4 touchdowns. Chandler's numbers over the years look pretty similar to Bennett's, except for Bennett's breakout (/outlier) 2014, and was billed as a pass catching tight end that the Pats would use in two tight end sets to create mismatches.
The difference is talent. Chandler is an aging average talent. Wright is a replacement-level talent. Bennett is a cut above that. He forced more missed tackles than any WR/TE in the league in 2013 and 2014. Dude can play on a level the previous TE2s couldn't reach. I didn't think the others were more than role players but I am a believer this one makes a difference for the Pats offense and he'll be on the TE1 map. And since everyone is so burnt out on the misses, his ADP is super low currently so he's basically an end of the bench flier. I assume that'll rise though.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'm all about taking the guy YOU want in the first above all so I can't blame a dude if he decides that's David Johnson this year. LVB's injuries worry me at this point. I'm leaning Todd Gurley as my RB1. He's a legitimately special talent as a runner and this offseason he gets to work out instead of recover from ACL surgery. I think that'll make a difference for year two. And Fisher is such a conservative coach too so his workload should be pretty consistent.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

MrSargent posted:

I mean if he is in your league I would encourage him to take HIS GUY if his guy is a huge reach where he's drafting. Otherwise you can absolutely blame him and ridicule him for making an extremely risky first round selection.
It's "extremely risky" to you but David Johnson is a top ten pick this year. Taking him in the top five or top three really isn't that much of a reach.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Not buying the ASJ hype. I think Cameron Brate is going to give him real competition at TE and Kenny Bell will take over the slot so ASJ will be sharing the middle of the field with a talented player no matter what. Doubt ASJ will be a fixture of that passing game although I'm sure he'll have some highlight weeks that'll be hard to predict.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 30, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

They cut Brate last year, then resigned him when ASJ went down. He's not legitimate competition imo. ASJ was on pace for 45-700-8, which is pretty great for a sophomore TE that lost half his rookie year to injury. We also don't actually know what kind of competition Bell is, but a 5th round red shirt rookie is far from a guaranteed talented player, at least in terms of taking a lot of looks from other receivers.
Well the Bucs don't seem to agree about that.

quote:

The Buccaneers won’t kick off their first training camp under new coach Dirk Koetter until late July but Koetter can already tell you who most of his starters on offense will be.
The only exceptions are at center, where Koetter wants to see if Evan Smith or maybe even Ali Marpet can prove to be a better option than incumbent Joe Hawley and tight end.
That of course is where Brate comes in.

That has Koetter thinking he may have a better option at the pass-catching tight end spot than Seferian-Jenkins, who first has to prove he can stay healthy and then may have to prove he’s got a better connection with quarterback Jameis Winston than Brate.
“Yeah, we talk a lot about chemistry, because you never know how or why certain guys connect, but Jameis and Cam, they really connected last year,’’ Koetter said.
“They had a real good feel for each other in the red zone and on seam routes and just all over the field really. And Cam, well, he really made the most of his opportunities.’’

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

ASJ had a single top ten week after coming back at the end of last season. Three of those five games, he was TE20 or worse. His targets would have to increase substantially to make him a predictable or valuable player and I just don't see that coming for him.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

He was coming back from an 11 week injury layoff, I don't think it's crazy to think his targets could increase next year. Even if they dont, the number he got the last five games would've been good for ~93 targets on the year, 10th most among TEs. VJax is a year older and closer to death, a whole bunch of garbage Tampa Bay receivers are going to lose their garbage targets, and ASJ has been with the team another year of growth. He's a great TE flier (what kind of backhanded compliment is that, lol). I'd rather Ebron or some others ahead of him, though. Just depends on who falls. I don't think anyone thinks he's a locked in TE1 or anything.
Fair enough. I'm content to agree to disagree. My gut instinct is just that ASJ could be a trap player this year. Like it's easy to default to the predraft narrative he had hyping him last year and I think the Bucs passing game is going to shake a little differently as people are underrating some of their role players. Think they'll be more of a productive regular football than a predictable fantasy group outside of Evans and the RBs.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

MrSargent posted:

How can you call someone currently going in the 12th+ round a "trap player". If a late round selection like that puts up even mediocre numbers, it was a good selection. Just curious, what TE's do you like this year?
I call him a trap player because of the context in which his name is brought up. "Don't focus on a higher profile player when you can get this guy later" only it turns into "don't draft a good player when you can get a dude you'll probably cut instead." I believe in throwing darts at TE; there are just certain scenarios that I find misleading and think will disappoint if relied on.

As for my opinion on TEs this year, I'm willing to be aggressive about drafting the top guys, which I view are Gronk and Reed. Gronk is an easy mid-1st round pick this year and I am willing to move on Reed as early as the third round. I know that's aggressive on Reed and is subject to change as the RB rankings become more definitive and impact drafts more but I did that in the goon slow draft and didn't regret it. I think there'll be a huge drop off after those two and the competitive advantage will matter in matchups. I'm still throwing darts at TEs real late as insurance/potential trade bait but I'll be targeting those two everywhere this year.

The Olsen/Barnidge/Kelce/Eifert/Walker tier from last year is subject to whoever drops the farthest in the drafts. These are the guys you don't want to take too early but I think they can return good value if you're grabbing one in the 6th or later. I'm scared off by Eifert's injury so he's off my board and I think Olsen/Walker will see a dip in their numbers so I'm shying away from them but still worth taking if you're getting a bargain in the draft. I do believe Barnidge can keep up his performance from last year and that sort of reliability probably makes him my target in the middle rounds if I miss on Gronk/Reed. Kelce's ceiling is hurt badly by Alex Smith and seems the most likely to disappoint even if healthy all year.

Coby Fleener and Ladarius Green are probably worth including in that tier as well. I like their new roles and could easily see one of them winding up in the Top 5. They'll probably both be rotoworld faves like Eifert was last year though. Doubt I'd pull the trigger before the 8th but they'd be on my mind. I'm not a believer in Julius Thomas or Zach Ertz; think they'll disappoint even if taken in double digit rounds. I'd wait for them to get picked, then target one or more of Dwayne Allen/Martellus Bennett/Zach Miller/Charles Clay. Love them as TE fliers with TE1 upside. I'm probably avoiding other guys like Eric Ebron/ASJ/Jason Witten/Will Tye. I can see the arguments for Ebron/Tye but I'm disinclined to believe in their upside. Antonio Gates is old reliable and worth taking if he drops too far but age is catching up to him and I like to look at younger players. I also believe Jordan Cameron is still worth keeping in mind as a sleeper depending on what we hear out of OTAs and camp. I like Adam Gase as a coach and think he can work his TE into his weekly game plans again.

This is way too much about tight ends in May but I'm really bored and it's my day off.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

You're legit crazy to have Clay and especially Bennett over that whole tier that you're avoiding. I guess maybe Witten if you're convinced he's going to turn to dust this season, but I have no idea how you can look at Clay and the Pats' TE2 and like them as higher upside fliers than the others.

Edit: Ebron outscored Clay last year with Megatron playing. Witten seems incredibly safe for 70-700-4 (ie blowing Clay and every team's TE2 out of the water). ASJ we can disagree on :) Tye put up 34-400-3 in 8 games as starter (that is, not a whole lot worse than Clay in 13 games). Your rankings of a few guys just confuse me so much, haha. Allen and Miller I'm fine with, good dart throws imo.
Maybe "avoiding" was the wrong word. I just don't view them as any better than streaming options so why leave a draft with one of them is my line of thinking. I don't see a reason to roster Witten with him as old as he is and as run-heavy as the Cowboys want to be this season. And Ebron... Ebron is a dude who needs to get much better at football before I'll seriously see him as a sleeper. He is not a player who consistently executes on his assignments and I'm not sure at this point if that's going to change this year and cause his role to grow. If I hear news otherwise, I'll re-consider him but he needs work as a player, not just a target void in the passing game.

Re: Clay
I just think he's an underrated player. He's a well-rounded TE. Dealt with injuries last year but he's still a good passcatcher. And entering 2016, the Bills still don't have many targets in the passing game. Watkins is recovering from foot surgery and Robert Woods isn't one of the better #2s in the league. Rex and his staff wanted Clay on this team so I think they could view him as an underutilized asset going into this second year and he could become a bigger factor in the passing game. Not one of my favorite late round targets, but I do think he could surprise this year.

Re: Bennett
As a Pats fan looking at their offense, I could easily see Bennett carving out a sizeable role. Gronk is the obvious top dog but Edelman/Amendola are both recovering from surgeries this offseason. Their WR corps is basically just them plus Chris Hogan rotating around while a rookie, Malcolm Mitchell, breaks in as the X receiver. Basically I think Dion Lewis and Bennett will be the next options where Brady gets creative in terms of creating one-on-one mismatches anywhere he wants. And Bennett is the healthiest of the group outside of Gronk right now. Back in 2011 when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez, they ended the year as TE1 and TE3 (in 14 games) and ran two TE sets I think it was 55% of the time. The Pats are still going to run two TE sets probably something like 45% of the time this year so I think there's plenty of room for Bennett to get his numbers. Doesn't have to be TE3 but TE6-8 wouldn't surprise me. And then if Edelman gets hurt, his role in the middle of the field ought to increase. If Gronk gets hurt, his value skyrockets to every week top three play.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Why do people believe that the Jaguars passing offense won't regress this year? I have trouble buying that Hurns, or even Robinson, will repeat last year's numbers. The Jaguars were 9th as a team in red zone opportunities per game, but 19th overall in terms of yards/drive and red zone scoring efficiency. Looks prime for regression, especially touchdowns, to me.

Also, Dion Lewis is a total loving boss and, if healthy, will repeat his performance from last year. Belichick and Brady loved what he could do for that offense and he was making dudes whiff in space constantly.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Sweet, good info. And yeah, I want to have some piece of a Chip Kelly team, but beyond Hyde (probably), I have no idea what piece. I felt like Kaep probably would win out if he gets healthy, and Torrey Smith might be kinda boom/bust but get a good number of targets.
I'm in a similar spot regarding the Niners. I buy into the opportunity-based arguments regarding their players but it's hard to fully sell myself on them. Torrey Smith could see a huge spike in his numbers a la Jackson/Maclin but I also believe he isn't as good as those guys so maybe that doesn't work out.

If Torrey Smith can't fit Chip's ideal WR1 mold, I'm buying on Bruce Ellington and TE Vance McDonald since they're so cheap in drafts. Elllington could be an interesting slot WR in Chip's offense and McDonald could be a nice flier in another weak year for TEs. He was a useful streamer at the end of last year and should pick up where he left off with Gabbert. I think Gabbert wins that job as making the quick and routine reads will matter more to Chip Kelly and Kaep was literally the worst at that in 2015.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'd take ODB over AB without a second thought. ODB is a HOF-level talent constantly making sick plays and his best football is still to come. I absolutely believe his ceiling is higher than AB's. And he's insanely entertaining to watch and root for. Plus, I get to invoke Ol Dirty Bastard references constantly when he's on my teams. He's my #1 player going into this season.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

MrSargent posted:

ODB is a great player, and I don't outright disagree that his ceiling could be higher, but I don't think you are giving enough credit to AB84. Brown is just as much of a HoF talent as ODB, even moreso I would say because he has maintained an extremely high level of play for longer. Brown has more yards/catches in each of the last 3 years and it isn't even close. Their TD production is pretty even, with Beckham leading by 2 over the last 2 years.

Also, this isn't HoF, it is fantasy, and Brown's clear advantage in yardage/catches last year was enough to put him 50 points ahead of ODB at the end of the year in half ppr. 50 points!! That's an average of 3 points more per game which is HUGE.

Edit: Thinking more, I don't think it is clear that ODB's ceiling is higher than AB84. Brown had 1834 yards last year with Big Ben missing 4 games. I think its safe to say he hasn't hit his ceiling yet and is already well ahead of ODB.
Antonio Brown's career numbers at ODB's age: 85/1275/2. ODB's numbers stand at 187/2755/25. Brown's target/catch numbers are off the charts but to say his TD production is pretty even with ODB is just not true. Brown has 23 TDs in 32 games the last two years while ODB has 25 TDs in 27 games. So ODB is basically scoring TDs at the same rate as Gronk and also he has the most receiving yards of any player through their first two years. And I still think there's another level to his game wherein he becomes outright unstoppable. What Brown did the last two years is impressive but my gut usually tells me not to bank on a player repeating as WR1 or RB1. But with ODB, I have no problem drafting based on the expectation of what I think he'll become. And I think he'll become a fantasy God.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 15, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

gtkor posted:

PPR probably matters there a bit. If it is a non PPR league, I think the whole OBJ is ahead of AB84 is a lot more understandable (even if i'd still go with AB). I am having a hard time seeing why anyone is "without a second thought" ahead of a guy who is probably going to catch 100 passes a year, while putting up yards and TDs at a high level.
Because ODB is the best of both worlds for me. Elite fantasy production plus watchability. He plays actual football like I play Madden and it's just so much fun to root for. If it's a snake draft and I only get to pick one elite player, I don't mind taking the guy I like most, even if it's over AB. That I honestly believe he can be better than AB is a bonus.

Plus Return to the 36 Chambers is literally one of my favorite albums of all time.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

ODB is going to be one of the best of all time and y'all fuckers better respect. AB is having his 15 minutes of fame at the moment but this is ODB's game from now on.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

MrSargent posted:

I think its really dumb comparing these two players as rookies. Some players take more time to develop and settle in than others. Brown had Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, and Heath Miller ahead of him when he came in as a rookie. ODB had 0 competition. I'm not going to go into more because the situations are completely different and comparing them is dumb because it has little to no bearing on where they are at now in their careers. You are right that I didn't account for ODB playing less games than Brown when comparing Touchdowns. The difference still wasn't enough to make up for the catches/yards that Brown gets. Essentially what you are doing is banking that the next year will be a huge step forward for ODB because that is the only way he can match Brown's current production, which I don't think has seen its peak yet. Antonio Brown is already a fantasy god (20 points/game average last year) and has been for the last 2 seasons.
I thought I made that pretty clear in my post. I think ODB's start to his career is historically good and that he is not yet a finished product. As such, I believe that going forward, he is capable of matching or besting Brown's PPG numbers, with a big help coming from the fact that he scores TDs at a fantastic rate.

I don't have any specific hate for Antonio Brown. But it's REALLY hard to three-peat as WR1. Kings can't reign forever. Fantasy football is just a little too chaotic like that. The biggest difference maker is usually injuries though and it wouldn't surprise if the Steelers got bit by that bug again. There's a legitimate risk at the QB position with Big Ben getting beat up all the time. And Brown's own workload gets him hit plenty by defenders. After a few years of that, poo poo can start to takes its toll. Calvin was a big boy but the game still took it out on him. Brown is a lot smaller than most WR1 archetypes and while it hasn't slowed him down yet, it's still a concern to me. Especially if the Bengals keep head-hunting. But that's awful tempting, since all you have to do is take Brown out of the picture and the Steelers offense changes dramatically.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Metapod posted:

The Tennessee wr order should not be taken seriously until preseason because no one loving knows :bang:
Basically this. Reports said DGB was dealing with a tweaked hamstring about a month ago and his overall game lacks refinement in general, so I'm really not too surprised he hasn't been looking smooth in practices. Coaches/front office wanting to send a message makes sense to me as well. Mularkey was pretty transparent about the effect he wanted to have on DGB/Hunter.

Mike Mularkey posted:

"I am hoping they are taking it personal, and they are going to come back in here in better shape, and better prepared and healthy and ready to go out of the gate,’’ Mularkey said when asked about Green-Beckman and Hunter. “(We want to see that) from the first practice on.”

Let's see what happens when the pads come on first. The rookie is running against air in non-contact practices at the moment and we know DGB's athleticism can play at the NFL level so I'm still inclined to buy him as a breakout candidate. If DGB's stock is trending downward though, it'll probably be Rishard Matthews who trends up.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Are you not a believer in Mularkey's "exotic smashmouth" offense? :v:

I get the feeling he's only around cause they didn't really like the crop of available coaching candidates and are still going to replace him eventually with a coach they fully endorse. Hopefully it doesn't hurt Mariota but I think he just needs to stay healthy and get his reps on the field and he ought to be fine.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

The odds of someone repeating three times are long, if you are predicting the future. But if you already have two #1s and they're in the past, the odds of them being #1 in the future are unaffected by the past: they're the same as if you had no past data. E.g., you're invoking the gambler's fallacy.
I think you bring up a valid point but I do believe you are underestimating the role attrition plays on football players. If you're seeing a monster workload for several years, the hits are going to add up over time. We kind've saw that last year when Ant Brown was knocked out for the second round of the playoffs and that hurt the Steelers big time. Calvin was a monster #1 WR before Brown was and had two WR1 seasons in 2011-12 before his aches and pains started impacting his numbers.

My big problem with expecting Brown to repeat his numbers is that his target numbers are ridiculous. 193 targets last year, 181 in 2014. Target numbers are increasing for WRs since this is a new era for passing offenses, but still consistently seeing 180 targets is really loving hard since a number of things have to break right for such a workload to last all season. Prior to 2012, you just didn't see players with these kind of target numbers. And in 2012 where three guys exceeded 190 targets (Calvin, Reggie Wayne, and Brandon Marshall), none came close to that mark in 2013. Last year saw three guys exceed 190 targets (Julio had 203 and Hopkins had 192) and I again expect those numbers to go down this year. Drop his targets down to a more reasonable 166 like in 2013 and Brown is still a top 3 receiver, but not the sure thing #1 pick.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Veritek83 posted:

If anything, I think AB getting closer to 180-190 is more plausible than not this year, due to the Bryant suspension, Heath Miller retiring and the prospect that Roethlisberger stays healthy or healthier than last year.
What if Sammie Coates/Markus Wheaton/Ladarius Green aren't a bunch of assholes like everyone assumes? Coates has been talked up a lot by Steelers coaches this offseason and it wouldn't be hard for Green to be an upgrade on Heath Miller. I'm not sure this is a terrible supporting cast.
What if Le'Veon Bell stays healthy and sees another 104 targets like he did in 2014? DWill ain't a slouch in the passing game either so RB targets could be in the 120+ range combined. They only had 73 targets last year so that's one change we can expect if Bell stays upright.
What if Big Ben doesn't stay healthy? Dude is in his 30s but still plays a very physical style of football. He's definitely one of the higher injury risks at QB.
What if Brown doesn't stay healthy? He's not injury prone, I know, but all it takes is one bad hit. What if the constant double teams leads to a defender falling on his ankle? Or he takes a bad hit to the dome and we have to start worrying about concussions? Or maybe Marvin Lewis takes Vontaze Burfict aside and tells him to sweep the leg?

There are plenty of reasons to think Brown's target share of 33% last year is going to go down and I think viewing his situation critically rather than just penciling him as the number one player in June is a worthy intellectual exercise.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Sure, but I'm much more worried about Beckham and Hopkins seeing a decline in targets due to improved supporting cast than Brown and Julio. If anything, this concern with respect to the top receivers makes Brown an easier first pick for me.
Hopkins ain't seeing 190 targets again but I don't know why you have worries about ODB's targets. He was on a 16-game pace of 167 last year, which isn't that high. Shephard takes Randle's targets and the TEs are "who gives a gently caress"-level talents for the most part. ODB sees 165+ targets again easily.

quote:

He played 16 games in 2013 and 2014, has averaged 14.3 games played each season for his career, and has never missed more than 4 in a season. I don't think you're at all right that he's a high injury risk amongst QBs, but if you want to do the same sort of thing for other QBs in the league, I'm happy to be proven wrong.
He's a 34 year old who has taken more hits than anyone else in the league by a pretty wide margin. His play style results in defenders taking him down violently and he dealt with a knee/foot injuries just last year. Are you really not concerned about Big Ben getting injured?

quote:

How is this at all a specific concern for Brown that you don't also have for the other superstar WRs? Are you saying Brown is more likely to be targeted than Beckham or Julio or Hopkins? Why?
In general, I think veterans who have seen high workloads for multiple years are at higher risk than the younger players just now proving what they're capable of. Brown and Julio have been taken the hits over the years and Julio at least has shown the wear and tear that results from that. I believe it will affect Brown's play inevitably as well. Hopkins and ODB are the spry young bucks ready to take on those kind of workloads (until it eventually kills them) so I have a little more faith in them physically holding up through the beginning stages of the beatings the NFL dishes out. Also, I do kinda believe Brown will be targeted more than others. He does have to play the Bengals after all, who do go headhunting.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Metapod posted:

Shepherd is really drat good and is going to command more targets than Reuben what route am I supposed to run Randle
I love Sterling Shepard as a prospect and think he has a great spot opposite ODB to offer late round fantasy upside this year but I do wonder if people are expecting too much out of him in year one. Randle had a 57/797/8 line last year. He's a poo poo player but Shepard beating those numbers as a rookie is no guarantee. He could do considerably less than that and still have a productive rookie season.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

The only issue with Harmon's methodology is that the Seahawks are probably going to be passing way, way, way, way, way, way way way waywaywayway less than the "oh poo poo down 30" Jags.
Maybe. But the Seahawks passing offense is trending upwards as of late. Wilson's attempts have increased every year (393->407->452->487). The run game is a legitimate question mark going into 2016 too since we don't really know what condition Rawls is in currently and after him, we're talking rooks and Christine loving Michael. Probably not nearly as reliable as Marshawn Lynch.

If you look at the pace Russell Wilson was on in the second half of last year, things get REAL interesting. He was as hot as Cam down the stretch, averaging 3 passing TDs a game.

Lockett's improvement in the second half was notable as well.

His TD scoring potential is legit given Wilson's great deep ball. A bump in targets in his second year could produce some real interesting results.

FFC has him as a borderline 7th/8th rounder right now and MFL10 data has him as a mid-6th round pick. That's not really a bargain for Seattle's WR2 but I don't expect his ADP to rise as high as Allen Robinson's last year. I don't think the narrative will be there to push Lockett into the 5th rounds in normal leagues unless he seriously impresses in the preseason. But I could see him settling around the same draft tier as John Brown occupied going into last year's drafts. I think I'm buying at that price, depending on who else is on the board. And I'd probably take him before most rookie WRs. I'm definitely buying in dynasty as I do believe he'll pass Doug Baldwin as WR1 eventually but probably not this year.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'd rather have #6 than #3 for strategic purposes. There's better value in the top half of the second round than the bottom half/top of the third, I feel.

Although if I can get ODB at #3, I do that every time, but that's just me.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'm bored. Someone convince me that DeAndre Washington isn't one of the best sleeper RBs available late in drafts this year. I think I'm already sold on the idea that he'll be a steal.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'm trying not to give him a MJD comp cause Jack Del Rio is his coach but it's REALLY hard not to when looking at the metrics.

pre:
                                     DeAndre Washington            Maurice Jones-Drew
Height                                      5'8"                          5'7"
Weight (Combine)                            204 lbs                      207 lbs
40-yard Dash                                4.49s                         4.39s
Vertical Jump                               34.5"                          36"
Broad Jump                                  118"                          116"
3-Cone Drill                                7.03s                         7.08s
20-yard Shuttle                             4.20s                         4.41s
Bench Press                                24 reps                        18 reps
Raiders knew what they were doing at RB this offseason. Don't waste money on the position, just scout carefully and find a bargain you like. Marcel Reece is suspended for the first three games too so even if he's just a backup to start the year, he ought to have immediate PPR value.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 25, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm good with that. Other possibilities: Devontae Booker, AlfMo or DMC if he gets healthy, Paul Perkins, Charles Sims (!; is he a sleeper?), Alex Collins, not in that order
I'd add Josh Ferguson's name to the mix as well. Apparently Chud hand-picked him for the Colts offense with a Sproles-type role in mind.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I like the article. Great work on the write up.

However... I cannot stop laughing at how Randle is the accompanying picture for the article but a forgotten man when the Eagles are brought up. It's very fitting. gently caress Rueben Randle.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I can't even trust Jordan Matthews at his current mid-round ADP anymore than their other guys. He's their "#1" but all of his production comes out of the slot and I would guess they're going to use 3 WR formations a lot less than Chip Kelly did.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Papes posted:

I'm pretty sure a guy who clowned the SEC from the X will be better suited to play on the outside than nelson agholor and josh huff.
But NFL coaches seem to view him best as a slot option. Chip Kelly hand-picked him and used him exclusively in the slot. And while Doug Pederson talked about experimenting with him on the outside more, that appears to have not been as successful as they were hoping for in practices.

""Philadelphia Inquirer" posted:

THIS WAS DOUG Pederson in March when asked about using wide receiver Jordan Matthews less in the slot and more on the outside: "I think he can play outside. I'm going to look at him outside as we go through this spring. With his skill set, I think he can play both (inside and outside)."
This was Pederson Friday when asked the same question about Matthews: "Jordan, again, he's been good on the outside. (But) he's better inside, because he's got that big body and he knows how to sort of use it in space.
Pederson and his staff have not made any etched-in-stone decisions on anything. But they clearly have developed some early impressions. Judging by what he said Friday, one of them would seem to be that the Eagles might be best served keeping Matthews in the slot.
Again, it's early and things could change. The media have been allowed to watch only three of the team's spring practices. But for the most part, Matthews has lined up inside. When the first unit has lined up in two-wide-receiver sets, it's usually been with Nelson Agholor and Josh Huff.
There's also Rueben Randle who should see plenty of time as one of their outside options; he was recovering from gallbladder surgery and missed the first part of OTAs. And from what I've read, they've liked what they have seen out of Chris Givens in practices. His speed could win him a role as a deep threat option. This WR corps feels a lot more jumbled to me than just "Jordan Matthews plus a bunch of poo poo." The article is speculative and does expect guys to be moved around more but it still feels like Matthews is going to be used best as a big-bodied slot guy like a Marques Colston-type.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Please note I don't think DGB is trash just that he may have Christine Michael Disease aka Just Doesn't Get It Syndrome
Your hate for DGB seems almost irrational at this point. He was playing ~50 snaps a game by the end of last season so to put him in a "just doesn't get it" category already seems like nonsense to me. Why do you believe he is so worthless?

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

If coaches are putting a rookie out there for 50 snaps a game, then he isn't a C-Mike shithead who couldn't even get on the field until his reunion with the Seahawks. He may be a flawed player but he GETS football. He just needs to get better at it, like pretty much every rookie player.

drat you are harsh on a dude who was definitely not the worst rookie ever.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

But what if DGB was white showed more hustle?

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Oh I'd take several guys before DGB at his 9th round ADP. Jamison Crowder and Mike Thomas are two youngsters I like more. Kamar Aiken too, although I expect his ADP to move above the 9th before drafts but if it does, change it to V-Jax then who can also be had after DGB. Could even take Rishard Matthews in the last round and probably outproduce DGB. But I'm always going to target dudes like DGB somewhere in drafts who have the physical profile of WR1s and just need to make that jump to the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Benne posted:

I'm having a hard time ranking Jeremy Hill right now. He was great in 2014 and kinda garbage last year, but still had 11 touchdowns. The running game lost Hue Jackson, but at the same time Gio has decisively proven that he's a COP flex back at best.

The volume and goal line touches should be there, but which version of Hill will show up? I'm legitimately torn.
I like Hill if I'm going BPA for the first four or five rounds and then need to grab like four RBs in a row and hope a couple pan out. The volume and goal line touches should be there and at least he's not recovering from an injury and we're wondering what he'll look like after. With plenty of film to study, coaches should be able to point out to him what he was doing wrong in 2015 and what he was doing right in 2014 and work from there. So I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he'll bounce back closer to 2014 levels. I do believe the Bengals will favor the run like they did in 2014, given the hits they've taken to the passing game.

Frank Gore is probably a safer pick in the same range while carrying a similar upside but I'd likely take him over the Latavius Murray/Matt Jones/Jay Ajayi/Jeremy Langford tier.

• Locked thread