Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know much about blood, but can't they just check the gently caress out of your blood to make sure it's alright, then allow you to donate?

Blood tests are not perfect, and, well, some people got real hosed up as a result of more lax donation regs in the 80's.

They test all blood as a matter of course but they also request you not donate if you're in one of a number of groups, the recently added an expiry to men-who-have-sex-with-men which used to be a lifetime prohibition also. Other classes that I can remember off my head is people who receive drugs or money for sex, and I think 1 degree of separation from that and MSM (people who have sex with men who have had sex with men/for money)

Broadly, the notion I think is that the blood service actually has plenty of blood, so they can afford to be restrictive to improve the quality of the supply.

1941, in one of the most depraved and horrifying atrocities of the second world war, Adolf Hitler personally requires all Blackletter typefaces in Germany to be replaced with Antiqua.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

kustomkarkommando posted:

If you have an Irish granny apply for Irish citizenship and claim the freedom of movement rights. This covers approximately 2/3rds of the UK

last I checked this has got more difficult

I've checked recently.

Steve2911 posted:

That's an odd thing to do. Is he interested in their cultural significance/rarity or does is he just a ball of hate?

his nan started him off and now it's a rarity thing. He's a lovely guy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Steve2911 posted:

I don't know much about blood, but can't they just check the gently caress out of your blood to make sure it's alright, then allow you to donate?

No, as no test is perfect and increasing the number of risky donors will inevitably increase the number of false negatives, which are potentially catastrophic (in a lethal kind of way).

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I don't think there is a quick, cheap test for prions in blood yet. Unless things have changed recently, vCJD can only be diagnosed definitively post-mortem. Hopefully an actual medic is reading...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

last I checked this has got more difficult

I've checked recently.

You just need a ridiculous amount of documents but you can still get entered in the Foreign Births Registry if one of your grandparents was born in Ireland - need to scrounge up copies of their birth/death certificate, marriage certificate and the same for your parents as well.

There's been in a big spike in British born applicants in the last few months coincidentally...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
"Ere Bloke-Mate, did you 'ear about 'ow much a European Minister gets paid just for turning up?"

OH WHAT YOU MEAN JUST LIKE WESTMINSTER DOES GARY

Jesus loving christ :cripes: are they literally trying to bribe people to join Leave? This is how out of touch the campaign are with both the people and their own issues, it's not a loving lottery you jackasses.

JFairfax posted:

None of us would be eligible to donate blood in America, British people alive in the UK in the 1990s are barred because of mad cow disease
I think frankly only 90% of Americans can give blood really, but only 8% are allowed to give because they're white men. :haw: see I can pull poo poo out of my rear end too, pay me 50million thankyou.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

kustomkarkommando posted:

You just need a ridiculous amount of documents but you can still get entered in the Foreign Births Registry if one of your grandparents was born in Ireland - need to scrounge up copies of their birth/death certificate, marriage certificate and the same for your parents as well.

There's been in a big spike in British born applicants in the last few months coincidentally...

I can't imagine why. If you've got a source compiling what I'd need that'd be fantastic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FinalGamer posted:

"Ere Bloke-Mate, did you 'ear about 'ow much a European Minister gets paid just for turning up?"

The right have hit on "People getting paid for going to work!" as their latest brilliant propaganda wheeze

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Dunno why they're complaining, because Farage is getting paid for not working :v:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

1941, in one of the most depraved and horrifying atrocities of the second world war, Adolf Hitler personally requires all Blackletter typefaces in Germany to be replaced with Antiqua.

Fraktur was illegible rubbish :colbert:

Even Petrarca hated the uselessly calligraphic Gothic type

I mean compare this:

to this:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Freezer posted:

There's a dark part of me that is hoping Leave wins, just to see what happens.

Trump!

Seriously that urge? It's the same one telling you to put your hand in the fire. 'How bad can it get really?' is not a reason to do anything.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Because it's kind of hard to present a general case where people are going to be at particular risk of contracting HIV.
it's really not since we have decades of evidence about groups being at particular risk

OwlFancier posted:

It would be like, erm, giving people anticonvulsants to stop them getting epilepsy in the event of a head injury or something, you could conceivably prescribe them to the entire country because everyone is at risk of head injuries.
no it would be nothing like that at all. if you think about it for even a second. you even used the word "risk" yourself but somehow didn't make the mental leap to consider that risks can be quantified.

in case anyone's interested, even though Dean St is an NHS sexual health service, they also operate a private PrEP clinic. £400 for a month's supply of 30 pills which is them selling at cost price. plus they'll do the regular blood tests to monitor you
or you can take your chances online and pay about an eighth of that. obviously seek medical advice first

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/31/john-mcdonnell-sharing-eu-platform-with-tories-discredits-labour

quote:

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, has said it discredits Labour to share a platform with Tories arguing to stay in the EU – the day after the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, appeared on stage with David Cameron.

McDonnell said it reflected badly on the party and would demotivate its supporters to see senior figures on a stage with their political opponents.

So naturally Guardian retards are commenting how childish this is despite not remembering what happened to Scottish Labour back one year ago.

Also from that same poll posted eariler

quote:

Support for Brexit is also split along class and geographical lines, according to ICM. Among skilled manual workers, known by pollsters as C2s, support for Brexit is running as high as 62%. Scotland is for remain, while voters in England and Wales would back Brexit.

Please end up with Scotland narrowly saving the in-EU vote somehow so we can see a meltdown of epic proportions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

They test all blood as a matter of course but they also request you not donate if you're in one of a number of groups, the recently added an expiry to men-who-have-sex-with-men which used to be a lifetime prohibition also. Other classes that I can remember off my head is people who receive drugs or money for sex, and I think 1 degree of separation from that and MSM (people who have sex with men who have had sex with men/for money)
This ones a weird one. Anyone who has been the recipient of money or drugs for sexual services, even once, using protection, is banned for life, but if you have given money or drugs for sexual services even if it's with a different person every weekend it's a 12 month wait, regardless of any how many different people or what protection was used.

The other main category that is banned for life is any interjecting drug user. Any. So those tanning injections that were all the rage a few years ago and came with sterile saline and hypos, banned for life. You can share all the straws and crackpipes you like though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think banning injecting drug users is fair enough really.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

namesake posted:

Trump!

Seriously that urge? It's the same one telling you to put your hand in the fire. 'How bad can it get really?' is not a reason to do anything.

Oh I agree with you. I'm not in the UK any longer, and not eligible to vote in the first place. I'm just watching this from the outside with a sense of bewilderment and morbid curiosity.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Extreme0 posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/31/john-mcdonnell-sharing-eu-platform-with-tories-discredits-labour

So naturally Guardian retards are commenting how childish this is despite not remembering what happened to Scottish Labour back one year ago.
I'm a big fan of McDonnell, but he's being a bit petty here. Securing a remain vote is more important than party politics, and if senior Labour figures appearing on stage with Cameron gets the point across that this poo poo is important and people need to vote, then I want the entire Shadow Cabinet up there applauding him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

I think banning injecting drug users is fair enough really.
I bet none of the people buying self-tan thought they'd be put in the same category as communal heroin users though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I bet none of the people buying self-tan thought they'd be put in the same category as communal heroin users though.

Anyone injecting a tan deserves it imo

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
One of the weirdest blood donation deferrals is that women who sleep with MSM who aren't deferred are automatically deferred themselves.

So my bisexual friend can give blood, but his girlfriend can't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nonsense posted:

Immigration seems to be the only real issue.

voters are incredibly dumb, as your av shows

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'm a big fan of McDonnell, but he's being a bit petty here. Securing a remain vote is more important than party politics, and if senior Labour figures appearing on stage with Cameron gets the point across that this poo poo is important and people need to vote, then I want the entire Shadow Cabinet up there applauding him.

SCOTTISH

loving

LABOUR

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

they're loving idiots though, who the hell would inject something to give themselves a tan.

I am glad their blood is not allowed in the system, you might catch a dose of their stupid.

at least you get high when you inject heroin. how much of an idiot do you have to be to want to inject something to give yourself a tan, just go outside fool or get on a loving sun bed.

what the hell. seriously. gently caress them and they should also be banned from having children.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Having reviewed the evidence I'm now strongly in favour of injectable tan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because they inject peptides to increase their tan response to a given amount of UV, either increasing the degree of tanning or reducing the UV exposure, either of which might be desirable?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

One of the weirdest blood donation deferrals is that women who sleep with MSM who aren't deferred are automatically deferred themselves.

So my bisexual friend can give blood, but his girlfriend can't.

Did they not change the wording?

I'm sure it used to be something like "if you have had sex with a man who has had sex with a man in the last year you cannot give blood" or something which made sense when MSM was permanent deferral but obviously doesn't work when MSM itself has a timeout.

Otherwise yeah you can keep deferring yourself by repeatedly having sex with a dude who once had sex with another dude.

E: also who the gently caress wants their loving veins to turn the colour of david dickinson? How the gently caress does injectable tan work?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

opiates are insanely addictive and i'm glad the NHS didn't believe the companies making oxy that its not addictive and totally safe to give to everyone

america is hosed

they're really nice though

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

Because they inject peptides to increase their tan response to a given amount of UV, either increasing the degree of tanning or reducing the UV exposure, either of which might be desirable?

this is really loving stupid. if you want to have a tan, move somewhere sunnier, use that tan in a bottle or go to a tanning salon.

I mean seriously, they're injecting some mysterious substance into their bodies - and these idiots are obviously somewhat retarded so I wouldn't put it past them to share needles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mmm yes I am going to give myself a loving fence paint enema to make myself have a healthy glow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Otherwise yeah you can keep deferring yourself by repeatedly having sex with a dude who once had sex with another dude.
"I don't want to give blood" is my exact excuse for doing that.

OwlFancier posted:

E: also who the gently caress wants their loving veins to turn the colour of david dickinson? How the gently caress does injectable tan work?
It's injected into fatty tissue, same as an epi-pen. The peptides then diffuse into the bloodstream and increase the melanin response to UV light. They're advised against because medicines act and all that, but iirc there's a nose spray version of the exact same stuff that doesn't exclude you from giving blood.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

mmm yes I am going to give myself a loving fence paint enema to make myself have a healthy glow.

thats nothing

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8420252

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol loving hell

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've never seen anyone as mad as goons re: injecting tan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JFairfax posted:

lol loving hell

i'm not sure snorting any amount of coke makes that a good idea frankly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

"I don't want to give blood" is my exact excuse for doing that.

I did realise when I was writing it that it sounded like I was listing it as a feature.

Actually there is probably a particular brand of crazy that worries the gubmint is going to microchip their blood or something so if I could convince them to all sign up to grindr that would be funny if possibly a hate crime.

Guavanaut posted:

It's injected into fatty tissue, same as an epi-pen. The peptides then diffuse into the bloodstream and increase the melanin response to UV light. They're advised against because medicines act and all that, but iirc there's a nose spray version of the exact same stuff that doesn't exclude you from giving blood.

I think I'd probably rather go with just covering myself in balsamic glaze.
WHAT THE gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its not the best way to kill yourself

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

I've never seen anyone as mad as goons re: injecting tan

it's just one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of, it's not quite as bad as injecting industrial silicone sealant into your arse cheeks but it's up there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

its not the best way to kill yourself

Well, I mean, I suppose in theory if you gave yourself a big enough hydrofluoric acid enema you would quite effectively kill and subsequently dissolve yourself. Certainly an interesting one for the police.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

I suspect the clinical language "left lower quadrant direct and rebound tenderness" hides an entire universe of pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've heard things far stupider: the leave campaign, Nigel far age, your opinions regarding Catholicism

• Locked thread