Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hyrdofluoric acid is really bad at desolving bodies unlike what breaking bad might lead you to believe. it will destroy all the calcium in your body though

still not sure an enema of the stuff is ever a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

JFairfax posted:

it's just one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of, it's not quite as bad as injecting industrial silicone sealant into your arse cheeks but it's up there.

Why that and not, just for instance, smoking? What is it about needles that sends IQs into freefall?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

JFairfax posted:

it's just one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of, it's not quite as bad as injecting industrial silicone sealant into your arse cheeks but it's up there.

*injects botulism into face*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

hyrdofluoric acid is really bad at desolving bodies unlike what breaking bad might lead you to believe. it will destroy all the calcium in your body though

I think the incredible blobfish corpse is maybe even more interesting than a dissolved one.

TomViolence posted:

Why that and not, just for instance, smoking? What is it about needles that sends IQs into freefall?

Smoking makes you look cool.

A silicone arse doesn't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well, I mean, I suppose in theory if you gave yourself a big enough hydrofluoric acid enema you would quite effectively kill and subsequently dissolve yourself. Certainly an interesting one for the police.
Despite what Breaking Bad taught people, hydrofluoric acid isn't even that good for that. There's far better acids to pump into your rectum to dissolve yourself from the inside out.

Is better the right word here?

efb

e:

TheHoodedClaw posted:

*injects botulism into face*
And that doesn't even get you banned from giving blood.

Nor does getting a tattoo/piercing overseas somewhere with lax licensing, I think that's a 6 month exclusion though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I need to watch this breaking bad thing because everyone keeps referencing it.

I think the last series I watched properly was stargate SG1.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^^Yes watch it, you wont be disappointed.

One of the funny things about Breaking Bad is finding all the little things which Walter was a complete idiot about.

It's a good show.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Smoking makes you look cool.

A silicone arse doesn't.

It wasn't the silicone arse I was referring to, but injecting tanning thingies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OwlFancier posted:

I think I need to watch this breaking bad thing because everyone keeps referencing it.

I think the last series I watched properly was stargate SG1.

Indeed.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

OwlFancier posted:

It's a good thing because it demonstrates that free health care should still be a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Injecting spray tan doesn't make you look cool either.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

I've heard things far stupider: the leave campaign, Nigel far age, your opinions regarding Catholicism

The catholic church literally awarded one of it's highest honours to Britain's most notorious pedophile and has a long history around the world of covering up and facilitating the abuse of children. You can't argue with that. There may be many nice Catholics but really the organisation is a club for nonces.

TomViolence posted:

it's also the fact that we have the sun, will always have the sun and it's by far the best way of getting tan. also we have fake tan in bottles and fake sun in sun beds.

there is no need to inject anything into your body to improve your tan.

injecting anything for the sake of beauty seems ridiculous to me, with the notable exception of tattoos.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Can we agree all religion is bullshit?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not unless you make me regress to age 14.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Extreme0 posted:

It's a good thing because it demonstrates that free health care should still be a thing.

That's a very superficial reading of the show.
Like did you forget the entire conversation Walt has with Skyler in the last series when he finally admits the truth that was obvious to everyone else - he wasn't doing it "for the family" but because he enjoyed it

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

My body is a temple dedicated to the One True God.

Unfortunately it's one of those weird religions where they sacrifice animals in the temple basement.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Injecting spray tan doesn't make you look cool either.

I was under the impression that it wasn't spray tan they were injecting, but some specifically made intravenous tanning solution.

Extreme0 posted:

The most depressing thing about Breaking Bad's cultural impact is that it's probably convinced more Americans that creating a personal meth emprie is cool and good than it has ever convinced to change their mind about free healthcare.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

namesake posted:

My body is a temple dedicated to the One True God.

Unfortunately it's one of those weird religions where they sacrifice animals in the temple basement.

I too read pratchett

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

it's also the fact that we have the sun, will always have the sun and it's by far the best way of getting tan. also we have fake tan in bottles and fake sun in sun beds.

there is no need to inject anything into your body to improve your tan.
I guess if it was properly tested it could work as a harm reduction, because something that allowed you to get the same tan with a quarter of the amount of UV exposure or whatever would still reduce skin cancer.

JFairfax posted:

injecting anything for the sake of beauty seems ridiculous to me, with the notable exception of tattoos.
Full body light brown tattoos?

Cerv posted:

Like did you forget the entire conversation Walt has with Skyler in the last series when he finally admits the truth that was obvious to everyone else - he wasn't doing it "for the family" but because he enjoyed it
"Chemistry is enjoyable" is a good positive motto for a TV show :yum:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

namesake posted:

My body is a temple

i like to desecrate mine all the time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My body is also a temple.

Rapidly falling apart and lacking sufficient funding.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Spangly A posted:

right, but some of these people have HIV and some don't, and some of them are in relationships, and in a sexual relationship the odds of not tramsitting fluids slowly reaches 0%

one pill a day vs the eventual certainty of a HIV infection and dozens of pills a day. The cost/benefit given the cost of HIV treatments has to be counted on the other side, not just the original medication.

There is absolutely no medically ethical reason not to prescribe this drug to statistically at risk populations, and I'd be loving shocked if the cost/benefit analysis sides with letting people get their HIV treated by the NHS. On top of that the idea prophylactics are out of the NHS remit is frankly opposite to the idea of a public health system and reality. If there's a legal problem, crush it.

This is going back a page or two, but you have missed the point of PrEP here. It's not for people in a committed relationship with an HIV sufferer. It's for people who have high-risk sex with multiple partners of unknown HIV status.

If you are in a relationship with someone who is HIV positive then we treat them until their viral load reaches zero. After that point several long term studies have shown your chance of transmission is basically zero, even with regular unprotected sex. The advice is still to use barrier methods, but that will hopefully be changing once the evidence filters through. So you don't need PrEP in that situation because your chance of infection is basically zero.

Where you DO need PrEP is if you are a gay man having casual anal sex, since even with cautious use of condoms your risk of infection is still considerably higher than someone having vaginal sex, and your population (MSM) is statistically at higher risk of being infected. So PrEP for these people would be useful, but it's massively loving expensive and difficult to know whether it would be justified. So I guess NHS england have decided against it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My body's like the sort of temple which is full of smoke and alcohol at weekends.

Which is more like a Catholic church, but JFairfax would get the wrong impression from that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Namtab posted:

I too read pratchett

You are not Jonathan Jones.

*gives you five pounds*

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Extreme0 posted:

Can we agree all religion is bullshit?

it's not all bullshit, it can be very useful for people and religious folks can do good things and perform important functions in certain societies and cultures. however it is also a force for repression.

however the institution of the catholic church is quite clearly a massive enabler of child abuse by it's members, actively protecting them for many years in numerous countries around the world.

also it's hardly a friend to gays, women or minority groups around the world.

we're talking about the NHS not giving drugs to reduce the number of the 2500 men in the UK who get aids each year. The catholic church with it's proclamations on contraception and condoms has probably helped millions of people get infected with AIDS.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Cerv posted:

Thanks for spoiling it.

It wasn't suppose to be a in-depth serious reply.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I can't imagine why. If you've got a source compiling what I'd need that'd be fantastic.

It's a long old list but go to supporting documents here

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Catholics killed his father and ate his mother

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Namtab posted:

Catholics killed his father and ate his mother
He's the son of a Huguenot and a wheat cracker?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rape and sexual molestation were "endemic" in Irish Catholic church-run industrial schools and orphanages, a report revealed today.

The nine-year investigation found that Catholic priests and nuns for decades terrorised thousands of boys and girls in the Irish Republic, while government inspectors failed to stop the chronic beatings, rape and humiliation.

The high court judge Sean Ryan today unveiled the 2,600-page final report of Ireland's commission into child abuse, which drew on testimony from thousands of former inmates and officials from more than 250 church-run institutions. Police were called to the news conference amid angry scenes as victims were prevented from attending.

More than 30,000 children deemed to be petty thieves, truants or from dysfunctional families – a category that often included unmarried mothers – were sent to Ireland's austere network of industrial schools, reformatories, orphanages and hostels from the 1930s until the last facilities shut in the 1990s.

The findings prompted the new Archbishop of Westminster, the Most Rev Vincent Nichols, to say that it took "courage" for those clergy involved in child sex abuse to confront their actions. In an interview to be broadcast tonight on ITV News at Ten, he said: "I think of those in religious orders and some of the clergy in Dublin who have to face these facts from their past which instinctively and quite naturally they'd rather not look at. That takes courage, and also we shouldn't forget that this account today will also overshadow all of the good that they also did."

The Irish Survivors of Child Abuse (Isoca), an organisation set up to help victims, condemned the newly appointed head of the Catholic Church in England and Wales for his remarks.

"Rubbish is too kind of word for what the archbishop has said. I believe I have heard this kind of twaddle uttered by politicians in Ireland like Bertie Ahern, the former prime minister. It is the verbiage of un-reason and it leaves me cold. What the Archbishop really has to do is take a long hard look at the character and nature of the people he is talking about and ask himself if they are capable of being good," said Patrick Walsh.

The report found that molestation and rape were "endemic" in boys' facilities, chiefly run by the Christian Brothers order, and supervisors pursued policies that increased the danger. Girls supervised by orders of nuns, chiefly the Sisters of Mercy, suffered much less sexual abuse but instead endured frequent assaults and humiliation designed to make them feel worthless.

"In some schools a high level of ritualised beating was routine ... Girls were struck with implements designed to maximise pain and were struck on all parts of the body," the report said. "Personal and family denigration was widespread."

The report concluded that when confronted with evidence of sex abuse, religious authorities responded by transferring offenders to another location, where in many instances they were free to abuse again.

"There was evidence that such men took up teaching positions sometimes within days of receiving dispensations because of serious allegations or admissions of sexual abuse," the report said. "The safety of children in general was not a consideration."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

namesake posted:

^^^^Yes watch it, you wont be disappointed.

One of the funny things about Breaking Bad is finding all the little things which Walter was a complete idiot about.

It's a good show.

I'd put a quid on them getting more than a few things wrong on purpose to screw over any idiots who try to use the show as a "How to Become a Meth Kingpin and Destroy Lives" guide, like deliberately leaving out steps in the meth production.

Cerv posted:

But not inaccurate, everything that happens stems from a poor healthcare and social security net. Of course the journey reveals some very unpleasant things about various characters and the lengths they're willing to go to or not, but it all starts with Walt needing money for treatment and to secure his family's future if it fails.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tomorrow's papers: immigration primarily. Vote leave so we can be more like the aussies

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ALBANY — Not leaving it to divine chance, the state Catholic Conference has turned in recent years to some of Albany’s most well-connected and influential lobby firms to help block a bill that would make it easier for child sex abuse victims to seek justice.

The Catholic Conference, headed by Timothy Cardinal Dolan, has used Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker, Patricia Lynch & Associates, Hank Sheinkopf, and Mark Behan Communications to lobby against the Child Victims Act as well as for or against other measures.

All told, the conference spent more than $2.1 million on lobbying from 2007 through the end of 2015, state records show. That does not include the conference’s own internal lobbying team.

Filings show the lobbyists were retained, in part, to work on issues associated with “statute of limitations” and “timelines for commencing certain civil actions related to sex offenses.”

“They are willing to spend limitless money in order to basically keep bad guys from being accountable for their actions,” said Melanie Blow, chief operations officer of the Stop Abuse Campaign. “I think they’re doing it because they don’t want to have to pay out settlements.”

Added Kathryn Robb, an advocate and survivor who says she was abused by her brother as a 9-year-old: “If they need to spend that much money on lobbying, clearly, then, they have some pretty big secrets to hide.”

While a far cry from the millions in lobbying top special interests spend in Albany each year, advocates for child sex abuse survivors say the $2.1 million spent likely represents a worthwhile investment to the Catholic Conference if it can continue to block legislation that would eliminate the statute of limitations on child sex abuse civil cases and open a one-year window to bring lawsuits for victims who can no longer sue under current law.

The Catholic Conference has argued that opening a one-year window to revive old cases could ultimately bankrupt the Church.

The firms the Catholic Conference chose is also telling.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/catholic-church-hired-lobby-firms-block-n-y-kid-rape-laws-article-1.2655010

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

But Catholics ≠ The Catholic Church Hierarchy and this all started when you said you wouldn't trust a Catholic to be prime minister because who knows where they are getting their marching orders from

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Today I woke up to Goves promises, and I'm going to bed with more promises

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'm a big fan of McDonnell, but he's being a bit petty here. Securing a remain vote is more important than party politics, and if senior Labour figures appearing on stage with Cameron gets the point across that this poo poo is important and people need to vote, then I want the entire Shadow Cabinet up there applauding him.

yeah nothing says "democracy works" like cheerfully sharing a stage with the racist pudgy idiot who called you a terrorist weeks ago

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I'd put a quid on them getting more than a few things wrong on purpose to screw over any idiots who try to use the show as a "How to Become a Meth Kingpin and Destroy Lives" guide, like deliberately leaving out steps in the meth production.
I like the bit where Walt grills Victor on his fitness to run the lab by asking questions that had been sent in by actual chemists nitpicking about the show, like "how can a non-stereospecific reduction yield a product that is enantiomerically pure?"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

yeah nothing says "democracy works" like cheerfully sharing a stage with the racist pudgy idiot who called you a terrorist weeks ago

Ah, the good Friday agreement

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

But Catholics ≠ The Catholic Church Hierarchy and this all started when you said you wouldn't trust a Catholic to be prime minister because who knows where they are getting their marching orders from

In fairness the last one was not a very good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

But then I also wouldn't trust a seventh day adventist, a mormon, a born again christian, a jehovah's witness or any other of a bunch of bat poo poo crazy christian sects with hosed up beliefs and world views.

• Locked thread