Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It does seem kind of insane, do artists on top 10 selling books even make that much?

I have to assume the writer is being paid as much too and I'm trying to figure out how many issues you need to sell to pay 20,000 plus the colorist and the letterer and all of the publishing costs, and make a profit for the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The real money is in the licensing deal they'll make for movies/motion comics/merchandise.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

My buddy and I were having a few drinks the other night and the question was asked "if you could be any Batman villain's henchman, who would you chose?". I ruled out Joker because he is pretty likely to kill you for no reason at all. Mr. Freeze would require you wear something warm everytime and you would have to deal with his terrible puns. Two-Face seems very vindictive and will also kill you. I was leaning towards Riddler because at least he isn't homicidal and you just have to let him think he is smarter than you all the time, but you would also have to settle for his stupidly over complicated schemes. In the end I picked the Penguin because while he can be vicious, he is more of a traditional mob boss kind of guy and not as homicidal as others.

Who would you goons like to work for, if you picked that kind of work?

Since I missed this whole conversation when it was happening:

I'd want to find a version of the Wrath who was way committed to the "Batman of Crime" thing, and join his inverse Bat-Family as the Jason Todd figure. Where Jason fights some crimes by doing other crimes, I'd interfere with the Gotham police and Batman through legitimate, above-board means: vexatious lawsuits, embarrassing/burdensome Freedom of Information requests, staging (properly permitted) parades and protests that impede police activity, generally being a public advocate for to-the-letter procedural propriety—that sort of thing.

My villain name would be the Red Tape.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

The real money is in the licensing deal they'll make for movies/motion comics/merchandise.

Yeah, but the character has already been in movies and was popular. I don't know why a Hit Girl comic needs to exist for a Hit Girl movie to happen.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Squizzle posted:

Since I missed this whole conversation when it was happening:

I'd want to find a version of the Wrath who was way committed to the "Batman of Crime" thing, and join his inverse Bat-Family as the Jason Todd figure. Where Jason fights some crimes by doing other crimes, I'd interfere with the Gotham police and Batman through legitimate, above-board means: vexatious lawsuits, embarrassing/burdensome Freedom of Information requests, staging (properly permitted) parades and protests that impede police activity, generally being a public advocate for to-the-letter procedural propriety—that sort of thing.

My villain name would be the Red Tape.

About a billion percent chance you'd be killed by Red Hood in a fit of adolescent rage.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but the character has already been in movies and was popular. I don't know why a Hit Girl comic needs to exist for a Hit Girl movie to happen.
Maybe there's a clause in the Miller works that states any sequels have to be based off existing books.

Even if they change some of the beats or whatevs.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Maybe there's a clause in the Miller works that states any sequels have to be based off existing books.

I'm assuming some kind of top-level IP farming. Or some kind of comic books Robin Hood thing? The studio offered Millar a ton of money and he decided to redistribute the wealth to the poor (artists)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would guess this is largely being paid for by the Kick-rear end licensing money and Millar is expecting good trade sales

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

About a billion percent chance you'd be killed by Red Hood in a fit of adolescent rage.

He'd never get near me, after I get a restraining order against him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Would the larger forums be too disrupted if we got a filter on the word 'Jason'?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Keith David will do your kid's birthday party for $100.

Worth every single penny

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Would the larger forums be too disrupted if we got a filter on the word 'Jason'?

I want mods to be able to set subforum-specific wordfilters so badly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My friend and I once agreed that a GTA style game where you bounce around as a henchman for various Gotham villains until reaching a crucial decision at the end where you can side with Batman after one too many betrayals or become your own supervillain would be a pretty darn good game.

For the record I'd work for Bane. He's not as likely as most of the others to murder you for no reason, and while he is likely to just sacrifice you as part of some plan of his, at least his plan has a pretty good chance of succeeding for a while. I'd rake in the dough while things go well and just run out the back door once someone informs him Batman survived after all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

My friend and I once agreed that a GTA style game where you bounce around as a henchman for various Gotham villains until reaching a crucial decision at the end where you can side with Batman after one too many betrayals or become your own supervillain would be a pretty darn good game.

For the record I'd work for Bane. He's not as likely as most of the others to murder you for no reason, and while he is likely to just sacrifice you as part of some plan of his, at least his plan has a pretty good chance of succeeding for a while. I'd rake in the dough while things go well and just run out the back door once someone informs him Batman survived after all.

My idea for GTA: Gotham City was that as your Wanted level rose you'd get chased by progressively more dangerous vigilantes, culminating with Batman himself, who would be pretty much impossible to evade for very long.

1 star would be normal cops, 2 stars would be like, Spoiler, 3 stars would be Huntress, 4 stars would be Robin, 5 stars would be Nightwing, and 6 stars would be Batman.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Bane is probably the closest thing to a reasonable choice.

Pretty much everyone else loves torturing and killing people for no reason too much.

And if you're someone who usually doesn't go kill/torture crazy (Catwoman, some versions of Penguin or random mobsters) then you know that like the all-new hardcore version of the Ventriloquist or Crazy Quilt will slaughter a warehouse full of you in order to prove they're on the scene. Or some cult/drug/demon/corrupt mayor will make the police murder you in a jail cell.

Basically there is no escaping a gruesome death in Gotham City.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just to prove I'm still working on the Battleworld thread, even if it takes way longer than holds anyone's interest, here's a picture of Psyklop, the Sexy One:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just made what I think was a major life mistake but I have this video so I'm calling the day even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3WnE3d32s

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Jeez, I didn't expect to see Plaza St. Hubert of all places in a music video this morning, let alone whatever Zoobizarre is now.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Did anybody else apply for the DC Talent Workshop?
I know a shitload of indy cartoonists desperate for work/recognition and I only know one who applied to that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I know a shitload of indy cartoonists desperate for work/recognition and I only know one who applied to that.

Yeah I also have those friends who complain about not having a job but won't apply for anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Just to prove I'm still working on the Battleworld thread, even if it takes way longer than holds anyone's interest, here's a picture of Psyklop, the Sexy One:

Oh sure you do drawings AFTER Wrestlevania.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

I've heard that the one trait setting Millar apart from a lot of other comics creators is that he's meant to be very good at the business dimension of it.

(I think he quit an economics degree to write comics, didn't he?)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Seeing that Millar's entire gameplan is "make comics that get optioned for films" I think he is a pretty successful creator.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Seeing that Millar's entire gameplan is "make comics that get optioned for films" I think he is a pretty successful creator.

Warren Ellis tried that years ago but but it didn't really pan out for him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Oh sure you do drawings AFTER Wrestlevania.

If the angles look all hosed-up on the sword, it's because Psyklop has but one eye and so is v. bad at generating a mindsword with any sense of perspective.

And if it looks like I took the Psyklop head cameo from Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, the mind-butterfly effect from Psylocke's one appearance in Wolverine & the X-Men, and a piece of Kanjar Ro concept art from Brave and the Bold and edited them in Inkscape, GIMP, and paint.net before putting the result onto an old Filmation Original Ghost Busters painted cel background, well, I guess you've just got brain problems!!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What do you mean, it looks like it was done on an eight-year-old Thinkpad with overheating problems? Haha, another classic BSS joke, you comedical jokesman!!!!!!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

Warren Ellis tried that years ago but but it didn't really pan out for him.

That probably comes down to writing style. Ellis' writing has been many things, but "lowest common denominator" is not among them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Please do not disparage the pure revelation of Saint Martha Comicbooks, it is very important to me. :pray:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chaos Hippy posted:

That probably comes down to writing style. Ellis' writing has been many things, but "lowest common denominator" is not among them.
And really how many movies about sarcastic angry white men in trench coats who are also always there smartest man in the room do we really need?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'd be okay with a few more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I supported you before you hit it big, Squizzle. I better be getting something here.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I supported you before you hit it big, Squizzle. I better be getting something here.

X-O can confirm that in the secret subforum for mods and top-level best posters, Forums Business and Cybersex, I've been advocating p. strongly for you to receive the Mod's Cup Blue Ribbon Poster award (bantamweight subforums division) in recognition of your posting in BSS.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Literally the only two things I know about that show is that it had Keith David & Summer Glau in it.
Not even Keith David will admit to having starred in the Cape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvldQJEE0A

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bantamweight?!

We're enemies now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

I think the count's swung back Lee's way now, but there was a period where Mark Millar had had more of his comics optioned for movies than Stan Lee. Although Civil War was Millar? I dunno anymore, but it's really close.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Millar also employed by 20th Century Fox as a creative consultant for their Marvel films for a while? He may well still be (though after Fant4stic, who knows?).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't Millar also employed by 20th Century Fox as a creative consultant for their Marvel films for a while? He may well still be (though after Fant4stic, who knows?).

I believe he was hired on to try and help them create their own cinematic universe that bridged the X and F4 franchises but we all know how that's turning out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Bantamweight?!

We're enemies now.

Excuse me but that is in honor of the Sensational Character Find of 1993, the Battling Bantam, and his ceaseless struggle against literal Nazi bigot Steve Rogers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Have some respect on Memorial Day, ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey, there's still another day in May.

• Locked thread