Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, but a 31 day sticky wasn't an option. Had to opt for 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not manual?

What a weird site.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CapnAndy posted:

I think the count's swung back Lee's way now, but there was a period where Mark Millar had had more of his comics optioned for movies than Stan Lee. Although Civil War was Millar? I dunno anymore, but it's really close.
There's really fuzzy math involved with that.

Lee has
1) Spider-Man (five with a sixth coming)
2) Avengers (two with two more coming)
3) X-Men (at least seven of them though they feature a lot of non Lee/Kirby characters)
4) Iron Man (three)
5) Thor (two with a third coming)
6) Hulk (twice)
7) Ant-Man
8) Daredevil

Plus
9) Doctor Strange (coming out this year)
10) Black Panther (in production)

This is only including modern feature films that are actually made, Marvel/Lee optioned a shitload of things throughout the 1970s-1990s that never got made: Silver Surfer and Nick Fury were definited optioned for long stretches but never got their own movies.

Meanwhile Millar has:

Actually Made
1) Wanted
2) Kick-rear end
3) Kingsman/Secret Service

4) Superior (optioned in 2011, now moving forward)
5) Chrononauts
6) Jupiter's Legacy
7) MPH
8) Empress

Then I think the math used past that was
9) Civil War is named Civil War and he wrote Civil War
10) He consulted on the 2015 FF so it's based on his Ultimate FF
11) There are rumors the next Wolverine movie will be based on Old Man Logan

So based on that math, he has eleven films hypothetically being made, and Stan Lee only has ten.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Nick Fury got that not terrible David Hasselhoff TV movie back in the 90s...though if we're going backwards there's a ton of old stuff you're not counting that for better or for worse still exist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD was totally a movie that was made starring David Hasselhoff, and Cumberbatch will be the second Doctor Strange movie.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

You have to add a shitload of asterisks to make the claim "Mark Millar has more movies than Stan Lee" and at least a few of them are

* in the past twenty years
* major theatrical releases only, no TV or direct to video
* only count Stan Lee movies that are actively in production at Marvel

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
*And sequels/reboots don't count.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

So based on that math, he has eleven films hypothetically being made, and Stan Lee only has ten.

The 3 Fantastic Four movies are Stan Lee too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's four fantastic Fantastic Four movies because the condition was "made" rather than "actually released".

Also Man-Thing which I am still yet to watch.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ghostlight posted:

Also Man-Thing which I am still yet to watch.

You'll be disappointed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stan Lee also created Groot and Ronan.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Who is going to create an awesome discussion thread for next month? I suggest a Condiment King appreciation OP

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Edge & Christian posted:

There's really fuzzy math involved with that.
I think the claim pre-dated Ant-Man and also gave a point to Millar and Lee each for Avengers, because there's more than a little Ultimates influence.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I found the exact wording from the AV Club about a year ago:

quote:

Here’s a fun fact: If you don’t count sequels and remakes, eight or nine comics created by Stan Lee—probably the most famous comic book writer in history—have been made into movies. That includes Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, The Avengers, The Hulk, The X-Men, and a handful of others. By contrast, nine comics created by Mark Millar—a writer who most non-nerds have never heard of—have either already been made into movies or are in the process of becoming movies. And that also doesn’t include sequels, the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot, or Captain America: Civil War, both of which are reportedly based on storylines written by (or co-written by) Millar. If we did count those—keeping in mind that all of Millar’s in-development projects came out before Lee’s Ant-Man, Black Panther, and Inhumans—Mark Millar would be a more prolific comic-book adaptation machine than Stan Lee. That, frankly, is crazy.
So they assumed that maybe Millar would manage to secure funding, shoot, edit, and release six movies between April 2015 and June 2015, the announced release date for Ant-Man. That would in fact be crazy!

Their count for Lee was (presumably)

1) Spider-Man
2) Iron Man
3) Thor
4) The Avengers
5) Hulk
6) X-Men
7-9) "a handful of others" that I guess includes Fantastic Four and Daredevil and ???

Millar's list is three that were out/finished at the point the article was written:
1) Wanted
2) Kick-rear end
3) Secret Service

Three options explicitly mentioned in the article:
4) Jupiter's Legacy
5) MPH
6) Kindergarten Heroes (an option announced in 2013 based on a comic that still hasn't come out

And then uh...

7) Superior has been optioned with no real movement for about five years now, four years then
8) Starlight got optioned in 2013
9) War Heroes got optioned but the comic never got finished?
10) Someone bought the rights to Nemesis a long time ago

Like pretty much every creator owned book Millar has put out has been optioned, but so far three of them have actually been made into films.

Lots of stuff gets optioned, though now that Marvel is owned by a studio they don't really 'option' things anymore. It's to the point that even relative unknowns who solicit a book through Image get calls about optioning their comic before it's even out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be fair, it is a pretty cool stat when you miscount and intentionally downplay Lee's adaptations while including all of Millar's possible adaptations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Now I want to know who the true king is if you really play loose. It's probably Frank Miller.

1) Sin City
2) 300
3) The Dark Knight/all the post-1989 Batman movies
4) Daredevil
5) Elektra
6) Martha Washington (was optioned at some point)
7) Ronin (was optioned at some point)
8) Robocop 2/3
9) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
10) The Spirit
11) The Wolverine movie where they go to Japan

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

After doing this crazy-rear end Gillen Loki reading order, and having read his Young Avengers run and Ewing's Loki: AoA previously, I'm fairly certain that Loki is in fact my favorite Marvel character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loki lied, Loki died

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm glad that Loki's basically become a metatextual tragedy character sorta like Morrison's idea of Joker being "hyper-sane" but from the opposite direction, of instead of that turning you into a nihilist monster it turns Loki into a person who tries to do good despite its inherent pointlessness but fails, and often. The innate hope of Loki's constant attempts to improve make for a more compelling character, I think.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It would be cool if the MCU goes on long enough for actors to age out of their roles, and we get super meta textual Journey into Mystery movie that does the Gillen story and replaces Hiddleston in- and out of universe

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I liked the Earth X Loki where he's the only god to have lied so much that he can understand that his entire godhood is a lie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I do not like current pube stache Loki, I want God of Stories Loki that ran away at the end of Agnet of Asgard

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Now I want to know who the true king is if you really play loose. It's probably Frank Miller.

1) Sin City
2) 300
3) The Dark Knight/all the post-1989 Batman movies
4) Daredevil
5) Elektra
6) Martha Washington (was optioned at some point)
7) Ronin (was optioned at some point)
8) Robocop 2/3
9) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
10) The Spirit
11) The Wolverine movie where they go to Japan

I know TMNT was created as a parody of Miller's Daredevil, but was he ever actually involved beyond that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm pretty sure Jack Kirby has done more actual TMNT work than Frank Miller.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Do you guys remember that kerfuffle when some comics guy claimed on twitter that Jack Kirby was yet another straight white man who's deified by the "immature comics fanbase" and Kirby was super overrated, and then basically every comics creator ever poo poo on him? Because that level of combined schadenfreude was hilarious and I'd like to revisit it.

ed: It was the Dresden Codak guy. Man, was that poo poo loving hilarious.

ed2: Man, it's even funnier than I remember. He shits on Eisner, deletes the tweet, blocks anyone who mentions it, then issues a non-apology days later saying he really meant to go after Kirby.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 31, 2016

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

It was Eisner, not Kirby. Same difference, though. The idea of Aaron Diaz calling anyone else mediocre is one of the funniest statements possible.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One (or both) man revolutionized comics into an artform, another writes stupid tweets. We will see where history judges these men.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

There is Kirby TMNT art?!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Time to send this thread off with a big hurrah, so I will pose this question to you educated goons. We all know of Ghost Rider and his awesome flaming bike, and we know about Silver Surfer silver surfing on his Silver surfboard, but what other characters are there that are characterized by their mode of transportation?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Madkal posted:

Time to send this thread off with a big hurrah, so I will pose this question to you educated goons. We all know of Ghost Rider and his awesome flaming bike, and we know about Silver Surfer silver surfing on his Silver surfboard, but what other characters are there that are characterized by their mode of transportation?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Madkal posted:

Night Thrasher and his awesome skateboard!

Everyone should read Contest of Champions

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Madkal posted:

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Madkal posted:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Madkal posted:

Black Racer, deadly skis.

Edit: Also Orion and his astro harness and Metron on his mobius chair.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 31, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Cabbie and his space cab

That black soldier fit and his racist haunted tank

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Do transportation powers count, like Nightcrawler, Falcon, and The Hood? Wait is The Hood still teleportation now instead of an invisibility cloak?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Do the Transformers count, a bunch of them are modes of transporation sometimes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

Ulysses Solomon Archer, of course!

Nobby posted:

Night Thrasher and his awesome skateboard!

Everyone should read Contest of Champions
:agreed:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Little Mac posted:

There is Kirby TMNT art?!

Yeah. Apparently googling Jack Kirby TMNT also shows he's been a character on the cartoon. He also almost had a fifth turtle named after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah. Apparently googling Jack Kirby TMNT also shows he's been a character on the cartoon. He also almost had a fifth turtle named after him.

He was in the comics as well. I believe that episode is loosely based on his comic appearance.

• Locked thread