Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Havok's powers are cooler than Scott's but they're both pretty big dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just really hate Scott. He's one of the main reasons I hate the X-Men so much, and one of the reasons I love the Inhumans so much. His direct counterpart on the Inhumans side - Black Bolt - is the coolest dude ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, Black Bolt is Magneto.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Black Bolts main characteristic is he is so boring they don't even let him talk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Bolt is like the definition of a "this character is cool when used rarely but gets less cool the more he's used" character to be. Every time someone writes the Big Scene Of Black Bolt Speaking or its counterpart, Super-Cool Tough Guy Tanks Black Bolt it loses impact and the character himself just seems to work better as a side character and not someone getting focus.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mostly agree. Medusa's really the main character, and the fact that he doesn't ever talk works to his benefit because it makes his relationship with Medusa far more integral, balanced, and interesting than the awful and boring as poo poo will-they-won't-they that Scott and Jean Grey have. God drat it if there's one thing worse than Scott it's Scott and Jean Grey.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's been dead for like 15 years. it's Scott and Emma now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Emma is the second worst X-men character.

She is still better than Beast tho.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is still better than Beast tho.
Who isn't?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark Beast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the worst X-Man is the one Jean scrounged up for Eve of Destruction whose mutant power was having invisible skin.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
An awful lot of Beast haters in this thread today.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Beast in Avengers better than I like him in X-Men. He was best when he went about dressed like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and was best mates with safari jacket Wonder Man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Are any of the original team liked here? Bobby? Warren?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you don't like Nightcrawler you stink.

ed: Unless you meant ORIGINAL original, over reboot original, in which case not really, no.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I enjoyed Bendis' kid versions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cyclops and Jean Grey are cool, but both have had unfortunate decisions foisted on them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Beast can be a really neat character but he almost never is. He was cool on the 90s cartoon.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The last X-Men run I enjoyed was Whedon's Astonishing run, and before that, it was early '90s Claremont/Lee Mutant Genesis-era X-Men. But I'll always have a soft spot for Iceman due to Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. I always wished they had more of a friendship in the comics as a result of that, or worked together more.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The last X-Men run I enjoyed was Whedon's Astonishing run, and before that, it was early '90s Claremont/Lee Mutant Genesis-era X-Men. But I'll always have a soft spot for Iceman due to Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. I always wished they had more of a friendship in the comics as a result of that, or worked together more.

Have you read Ultimate Spider-Man?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Have you read Ultimate Spider-Man?

Just the first TPB, many years ago. I thought it was solid enough, but I never got into the Ultimate universe.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I am reading Cable/Deadpool because I have heard good things, and man this starts so boring with the blue man cult, but then gets really cool with the Cable is a God stuff. Does it stay this good? or does it fall back off?

Also, early 2000's photoshop brown and grey bloom effect colouring is so boring. If you thumb through the 18 issue collection I have each page looks pretty much the same. Photoshop really destroyed comics for a time

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jeff Parker's First Class run of X-Men is my favorite take on the young, original team.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CharlestheHammer posted:

Black Bolts main characteristic is he is named Blackagar Boltagon.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If Maximus wasn't mad do you think people would call him Maxbolt?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just the first TPB, many years ago. I thought it was solid enough, but I never got into the Ultimate universe.

Him and Iceman do become pals later on and recreate the Amazing Friends lineup with Johnny Storm in the Firestar role. It's cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reading a lot of those 1970s Avengers, the West Coast Avengers a decade later and the Vision & Scarlet Witch miniseries in between (and even one story in Fantastic Four), Steve Englehart really had it in for Quicksilver. It's not the usual "Quicksilver is an rear end in a top hat" characterisation that everyone who writes him does; he seems to go out of his way to portray him as villainously as he can. It's so ridiculous it loops back around and becomes hilarious.

Like, all the stuff about being against Wanda marrying the Vision is fairly well-known, but then you get into stuff like the time he was kinda sorta racist against Luke Cage on Martin Luther King Day while arguing that some of his best friends are black, or the time he tried to get both teams of Avengers done for treason, or the time he declared himself "King of the Evil Mutants" after Magneto reformed, or even the time he kidnapped Alicia Masters and abandoned her in a bad part of New York while proclaiming that she'd be at the mercy of rats and roving street gangs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I really enjoyed early X-Factor with them. And I've been digging the time displaced versions we have quite a bit. But I'm not a big X-Men fan in general.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I am the only person who liked The Champions. Does that count?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Beast in Avengers better than I like him in X-Men. He was best when he went about dressed like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and was best mates with safari jacket Wonder Man.

Englehart's happy stoner Beast is good. Glimpses of the weird poo poo he and Brand are into are also good.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The best part of Ellis's Astonishing X-Men was Cyclops describing Beast and Brand's sex life as "crimes against nature."

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Stopped reading comics as a kid right in the beginning of the age of apocalypse and didn't pick them back up until about a year and a half ago. I started at Avengers Disassembled and have slowly made my way to the Initiative and the only thing that really confuses me is why is Beast a cat now?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AlmightyBob posted:

Stopped reading comics as a kid right in the beginning of the age of apocalypse and didn't pick them back up until about a year and a half ago. I started at Avengers Disassembled and have slowly made my way to the Initiative and the only thing that really confuses me is why is Beast a cat now?
Grant Morrison wanted to use Colossus in his X-Men run but couldn't because Colossus was dead at the time, so he invented a thing called "secondary mutations" which means mutants can get an all-new power set at random when they're adults. In practice this worked out to Emma gaining the ability to switch to a diamond form where she's super-strong but can't use her telepathy and Beast becoming a cat, and then it was quietly forgotten about and eventually Emma got retconned into being given the extra powers as part of a plot by an enemy of the X-Men and Beast just being really unstable ever since he first dosed himself with that compound to try and look normal.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Grant Morrison wanted to use Colossus in his X-Men run but couldn't because Colossus was dead at the time, so he invented a thing called "secondary mutations" which means mutants can get an all-new power set at random when they're adults. In practice this worked out to Emma gaining the ability to switch to a diamond form where she's super-strong but can't use her telepathy and Beast becoming a cat, and then it was quietly forgotten about and eventually Emma got retconned into being given the extra powers as part of a plot by an enemy of the X-Men and Beast just being really unstable ever since he first dosed himself with that compound to try and look normal.

Dang was hoping it was something like "beast got split in half so there's a good cat beast and an evil monster beast"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AlmightyBob posted:

Secondary mutations, m'dude! Same reason Emma Frost can turn into diamonds and Archangel's blood can heal people. Except I guess Emma's was done by Cassandra Nova wasn't it?

Beast isn't a cat anymore anyway, he's some kind of sasquatch looking thing now.

Were there any other memorable 'secondary mutations' that survived New X-Men? I honestly can't remember anyone else's.

e: beaten like Catbeast with a baseball bat

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr Hootington posted:

I like Iceman. Cyclops has his moments but overall is a mess. The little kid versions of Cyclops, Iceman, and Jean are all great. Little Beast is okay but not too thrilled. Little Warren is garbage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AlmightyBob posted:

Dang was hoping it was something like "beast got split in half so there's a good cat beast and an evil monster beast"
No, evil monster beast is just from another dimension.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

No, evil monster beast is just from another dimension.

Comics are loving dumb

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AlmightyBob posted:

Comics are loving dumb

Well also another timeline depending on how Marvel feels at the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AlmightyBob posted:

Comics are loving dumb

Well he was actually the Beast from the story you said you quit comics on, Age of Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

X-O posted:

Well he was actually the Beast from the story you said you quit comics on, Age of Apocalypse.

Haha Christ

• Locked thread