Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Why's he red?

Maggott briefly split into two beings, Maggott Red and Maggott Blue, a short while after his intestine slugs were replaced with electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Generation X kids were created and written by Scott Lobdell for years and somehow things were worse for them afterwards.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bobkatt013 posted:

He was pretty great in X-Factor.

He was still living in his brothers shadow, dating a woman who would eventually turn evil and try to kill everyone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Beast can be a really neat character but he almost never is. He was cool on the 90s cartoon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The last X-Men run I enjoyed was Whedon's Astonishing run, and before that, it was early '90s Claremont/Lee Mutant Genesis-era X-Men. But I'll always have a soft spot for Iceman due to Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. I always wished they had more of a friendship in the comics as a result of that, or worked together more.

Have you read Ultimate Spider-Man?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just the first TPB, many years ago. I thought it was solid enough, but I never got into the Ultimate universe.

Him and Iceman do become pals later on and recreate the Amazing Friends lineup with Johnny Storm in the Firestar role. It's cool.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AlmightyBob posted:

Stopped reading comics as a kid right in the beginning of the age of apocalypse and didn't pick them back up until about a year and a half ago. I started at Avengers Disassembled and have slowly made my way to the Initiative and the only thing that really confuses me is why is Beast a cat now?

Secondary mutations, m'dude! Same reason Emma Frost can turn into diamonds and Archangel's blood can heal people. Except I guess Emma's was done by Cassandra Nova wasn't it?

Beast isn't a cat anymore anyway, he's some kind of sasquatch looking thing now.

Were there any other memorable 'secondary mutations' that survived New X-Men? I honestly can't remember anyone else's.

e: beaten like Catbeast with a baseball bat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AlmightyBob posted:

I had a ton of 70s and 80s xmen too but yeah mostly.

Xmen was so good in the 70s and 80s

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maxie Zeus, as long as you don't mess up and imply that he's not a God, is going to be a pretty chill boss. Black Mask is definitely out, as is Joker, Zsasz or any of the serial killer guys. Poison Ivy might be alright if you were a woman. Harley has that Gang of Harleys now, they seem to be doing alright.

Scarecrow is definitely going to test new kinds of gas on you. That's a given. Riddler would probably be the best balance of a high profile name and least likely to murder you.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

We disqualified Catwoman because she never really had any henchpeople.

Selina recently took over the mob to stop a violent gang war. I think she'd be pretty good to work for especially if Batman maybe goes easy on you because he's schtupping the Don.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I told my friends about how Psylocke used to be a british white woman with no martial arts ability and they all thought I was loving with them.

Does nobody remember that her loving name is "Betsy Braddock" or do they just not care?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Im just saying that's like Benedict Cumberbatch. That's an incredibly british name. Like Steve Rogers is the ultimate American name.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Action Jacktion posted:

Wacky Raceland:

So when does DC come out and tell us this is all a joke?

Dogs with cyborg hologram emitters is the new high collars and undercuts.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair there's no source-faithful interpretation of Wacky Races that would've made me at all even vaguely interested in the product, this is at least fun to pay attention to just to rubberneck the possible trainwreck, and everyone was saying much the same thing with Afterlife With Archie, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, or Archie meets The Punisher. On the other hand the writer has zero comics experience and most well-known prior work is probably loving Happy Tree Friends. But I'm at least interested to see where it goes.

Well the thing is that DC Comics was not involved with any of those.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Technically, any food item could become a hat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

God drat it 2016 give it a loving rest for like a second

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

2016 took my grandma too. Don't have any more. Only got one grandad left too.

2016 don't you even loving think about it

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

loving hell.

I literally don't think he produced anything bad. Writer or artist, I can't think of anything he worked on that's not good. This is Dwayne McDuffie all over again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Well I hope it's a mistake. Even so, post your favorite Darwyn Cooke art here if you'd like. I'm on my phone or I'd post that recent cover he did with Batman passed out asleep in his suit where Alfred is tending to him. I love that cover so much.

Allow me. I have a few of those variant covers saved for my desktop rotation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Timeless Appeal posted:

So my middle school students have started getting into New Teen Titans. And because I have red hair and a beard, they think I look like Terry Long. And they've started calling me Mr. Long.

I'm considering making it an automatic detention or just quitting my job.

This is really your own fault for letting your face happen in that particular way.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Your only hope at this point is to shave the beard, give them a bunch of John Byrne Superman issues and try to get them to call you Mr Luthor

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still get bummed about Mike Weiringo every now and then

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Skwirl posted:

Unless they bring back Superman's red underwear DC will still be complete poo poo.

The last panel of Rebirth will be Superman's battered figure emerging from a smoking crater, holding his little red trunks aloft like a flag, rippling in the breeze, as the assembled superheros cheer wildly and Jason Todd crawls back into a grave.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zoux posted:

I don't read DC and I don't want to get in a whole thing about it but I just want to know: Is Rebirth a reboot or something?

If anything it's a de-boot. They're returning a lot of things that were lost when New 52 launched. With the idea that someone took the DC universe and altered it, removing a decade of experience, relationships, and new characters. Rebirth seems to be trying to bring them back.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't keep all these Caps straight.

Caps look cooler tilted to the side anyway.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's not, but everyone expected DC to do something stupid. Nobody really expected Marvel to turn the star of the hottest new summer blockbuster into a Nazi today. I think more people are freaking out about that because it was pretty out of nowhere.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well Rebirth was spoiled something like four days ago. The release of the actual comic book is pretty insignificant, honestly. It's barely even a story despite being 80 pages long.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

The only time that sort of twist worked was the original Thunderbolts #1.

Can we take a moment again to appreciate how amazing Thunderbolts #1 was

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

What is the story here with Iceman?

I think people took it to mean that being gay was a choice since older iceman wasn't gay? But he's gay now anyway I think.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Darkwing Duck, obviously.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Arguably every single TMNT ripoff (Biker Mice from Mars, Cow Boys of Moo Mesa) could potentially qualify under the Super Sentai clause.

Was WITCH adapted from anything?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Underdog.
Meteor Man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

How the heck did all of us forget Captain goddamn Planet?!

That was nonfiction, that doesn't count.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Keith David will do your kid's birthday party for $100.

Will he refer to me as "the Playa" the entire time or is that extra

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

My friend and I once agreed that a GTA style game where you bounce around as a henchman for various Gotham villains until reaching a crucial decision at the end where you can side with Batman after one too many betrayals or become your own supervillain would be a pretty darn good game.

For the record I'd work for Bane. He's not as likely as most of the others to murder you for no reason, and while he is likely to just sacrifice you as part of some plan of his, at least his plan has a pretty good chance of succeeding for a while. I'd rake in the dough while things go well and just run out the back door once someone informs him Batman survived after all.

My idea for GTA: Gotham City was that as your Wanted level rose you'd get chased by progressively more dangerous vigilantes, culminating with Batman himself, who would be pretty much impossible to evade for very long.

1 star would be normal cops, 2 stars would be like, Spoiler, 3 stars would be Huntress, 4 stars would be Robin, 5 stars would be Nightwing, and 6 stars would be Batman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr. Miracle and them flying plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I made a thread in thirty seconds because it's seven AM on June first. I can't believe nobody else made a thread. Look what you made me do. It's pathetic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778473

• Locked thread