Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's nothing edgy or rebellious about super bad opinions here.

It's actually my entire posting strategy,and I'm the very model of a modern BSS white noise poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I've got extremely good opinions but I'm withholding them to punish y'all, and instead you get whatever this is.

Nice new skull, btw.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Trump were to win, at least we'd get four(? Barring impeachment, total war, or the collapse of Western civilization, I guess) years with more unflattering appearances of the real-world POTUS in superhero comics than even Reagan had. That's at least some sort of entertainment.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blackagar did nothing wrong.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy moley! $.99 per pound cherrystone clams! You get three per pound and they are usually $3.99 per pound. Nice deal!

Post some bivalve recipes itt.

Except oysters, because if you're cooking them, your wrong.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what the--

Remember the old pack-in comics from He-Man toys? Bruce Timm did the pencils on those. He was also a character designer for She-Ra. I had no goddamn idea before now.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Stan Sakai lettered a bunch of them, too. :wtc:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I tried to warn everyone. :(

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

JOKE INCLUDES MAJOR REBIRTH SPOILER

Johns reveals that Dr. Manhattan stole Superman's trunks, neatly solving the Dong Problem that kept the Watchmen characters from joining the DCU.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

JOKE INCLUDES MAJOR REBIRTH SPOILER

Johns reveals that Dr. Manhattan stole Superman's trunks, neatly solving the Dong Problem that kept the Watchmen characters from joining the DCU.

Also I'm proposing that BSS be renamed Manhattan Dong Problems.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Well him and the Shield, but who the gently caress cares about The Shield?*

I did, once.

Years ago, I had a "mash all the superheroes into one reality, except some of the creator-owned stuff" what-if nerdversation, and my chum and I ended up with the Shield being a super-soldier created after Steve was iceberg'd, who later left soldiering to found an intelligence agency. He was Nick Fury's boss in the modern day.

The hardest superheroes to fold into one world in this exercise were the Power Rangers, btw.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There's a storytelling style that's essential to them actually feeling like Power Rangers, though, and it starts to fall apart in a world bring with superheroes. At best we could get it like Captain Marvel and the Shazammies in the broader DC universe: changing up most of what was so distinctive about the property originally, but at least nodding toward it every so often.

We did manage to have both the Green and White Rangers by having the latter be older Tommy who time-travelled from the future for some reason.

And now I'm remembering all sorts of details about this whole idea, like how we folded the Mortal Kombat characters in to it because why not, right? I think Spawn and Scorpion and Ghost Rider had a three-way mutual resentment thing going.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Iceman should date a frost giant.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You'll have to give a better idea of what you mean by superhero, because anything from Karen Rider to Ben 10 to Buffy the Vampire Slayer might fit what you're looking for.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Darkwing Duck, obviously.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwlXRVWCCI

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And, hell, can't forget The Adventures of T-Rex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqGyRGv1N8

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Do things based off toylines count as adaptations, in this? Because that could open the goddamn floodgates.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I went looking for some old Hanna Barbera intros to show off non -adaptation superheroes (Mighty Mightor, Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles, Samson & Goliath, Space Kidettes...), but ended up abandoning that entirely in favor of watching old Fox Kids commercials.

After 20ish years of having little snatches of this song pop into my head, I've finally been able to listen to the whole thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3sEH3K9B8

It's like a great weight has left my shoulders.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Here, just to actually contribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafqJc3IOug

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How the heck did all of us forget Captain goddamn Planet?!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Two bass players and a guy on ukelele. The instrumentation is more impossible than their superpowers.

Travis343 posted:

That was nonfiction, that doesn't count.

I'm still pissed at Gaia, the Spirit of the Earth (who could no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet) for not releasing the designs for those solar-powered supervehicles the Planeteers cruised around in. Does she want to fight pollution and corporate profiteering or not?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

My buddy and I were having a few drinks the other night and the question was asked "if you could be any Batman villain's henchman, who would you chose?". I ruled out Joker because he is pretty likely to kill you for no reason at all. Mr. Freeze would require you wear something warm everytime and you would have to deal with his terrible puns. Two-Face seems very vindictive and will also kill you. I was leaning towards Riddler because at least he isn't homicidal and you just have to let him think he is smarter than you all the time, but you would also have to settle for his stupidly over complicated schemes. In the end I picked the Penguin because while he can be vicious, he is more of a traditional mob boss kind of guy and not as homicidal as others.

Who would you goons like to work for, if you picked that kind of work?

Since I missed this whole conversation when it was happening:

I'd want to find a version of the Wrath who was way committed to the "Batman of Crime" thing, and join his inverse Bat-Family as the Jason Todd figure. Where Jason fights some crimes by doing other crimes, I'd interfere with the Gotham police and Batman through legitimate, above-board means: vexatious lawsuits, embarrassing/burdensome Freedom of Information requests, staging (properly permitted) parades and protests that impede police activity, generally being a public advocate for to-the-letter procedural propriety—that sort of thing.

My villain name would be the Red Tape.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

About a billion percent chance you'd be killed by Red Hood in a fit of adolescent rage.

He'd never get near me, after I get a restraining order against him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Would the larger forums be too disrupted if we got a filter on the word 'Jason'?

I want mods to be able to set subforum-specific wordfilters so badly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just to prove I'm still working on the Battleworld thread, even if it takes way longer than holds anyone's interest, here's a picture of Psyklop, the Sexy One:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Oh sure you do drawings AFTER Wrestlevania.

If the angles look all hosed-up on the sword, it's because Psyklop has but one eye and so is v. bad at generating a mindsword with any sense of perspective.

And if it looks like I took the Psyklop head cameo from Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, the mind-butterfly effect from Psylocke's one appearance in Wolverine & the X-Men, and a piece of Kanjar Ro concept art from Brave and the Bold and edited them in Inkscape, GIMP, and paint.net before putting the result onto an old Filmation Original Ghost Busters painted cel background, well, I guess you've just got brain problems!!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What do you mean, it looks like it was done on an eight-year-old Thinkpad with overheating problems? Haha, another classic BSS joke, you comedical jokesman!!!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Please do not disparage the pure revelation of Saint Martha Comicbooks, it is very important to me. :pray:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I supported you before you hit it big, Squizzle. I better be getting something here.

X-O can confirm that in the secret subforum for mods and top-level best posters, Forums Business and Cybersex, I've been advocating p. strongly for you to receive the Mod's Cup Blue Ribbon Poster award (bantamweight subforums division) in recognition of your posting in BSS.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Bantamweight?!

We're enemies now.

Excuse me but that is in honor of the Sensational Character Find of 1993, the Battling Bantam, and his ceaseless struggle against literal Nazi bigot Steve Rogers.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Have some respect on Memorial Day, ffs.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If no one else steps forward, I nominate Teenage Fansub to hastily throw a new chat thread OP together.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

I'm sure this will reveal my turbo-nerd status to all you guys who think I'm really cool, but if I had a time machine and after I did the basic kill hitler/make billions on the stock market/save loved ones from death, going back in time and hanging with Kirby would be pretty high on The List.

You wouldn't bring Jack with you on a Hitler-killing cosmic adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Follow-up question: Besides Silver Surfer and Ghost Rider, what characters spent a whole lot of time personally battling the devil in their solo series?

• Locked thread