Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aphrodite posted:

Wolverine technically only has the 1 mutation. He has the dumb mutant wolf-like offshoot mutation.
I liked it even better in Earth X where it's revealed that he's not even a mutant - he's just a pure human while everyone else was hosed up by Celestial egg junk and corrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rachel gave birth to the shittiest Richards, so she's garbage by association.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Black Bolts main characteristic is he is named Blackagar Boltagon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

Dang was hoping it was something like "beast got split in half so there's a good cat beast and an evil monster beast"
No, evil monster beast is just from another dimension.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you think this poo poo is nuts, I'm reading a terrible late-90s fantasy novel with thinly veiled caricatures of the Clintons and man, I forgot how insane the right was about those dudes before we got to this level.

They wife swap and give half the liberals turbo-AIDS.
I didn't know Heinlein wrote fantasy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It would be Trumps branded because really, it's the exact same meaning.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It sounds no less far-fetched than when Dr Doom had the Puppetmaster hook the Fantastic Four up to a machine to transport their consciousness into doll-sized clones just so that he could pretend to be a professor and poo poo on an artificially-stupid Reed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Squizzle posted:

what the--

Remember the old pack-in comics from He-Man toys? Bruce Timm did the pencils on those. He was also a character designer for She-Ra. I had no goddamn idea before now.
Remember? I still have all of mine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think Anarky would be a pretty cool boss. He's not violently crazy, he's ideologically focused on benefiting the proletariat so he's going to look after you and not sacrifice you for a goal, and he's probably open to byocostume.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't know anybody that cares about Psylocke, no.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Dogs with cyborg hologram emitters is the new high collars and undercuts.
According to this holographic display...

...I can't read

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Gay Blade is still the best manga ever based on children fighting each other with spinning tops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that's not how I read it. They can't come out and say "boy, the writers sure shat the bed these last five years in a realm we're not aware of" in the actual comic book. So they say the version they can actually put into their characters mouths without breaking kayfabe. "Ten years of our lives and a great deal of the joy got taken away from us by an antagonistic force and we need to fix it" is a full throated apology. Yes, DC is saying, the New 52 was a mistake, for all the reasons all of you stopped reading, and we're give what we did to the bad guy as a start towards showing you that we know what we did was wrong.

And the thing that does it is an omnipotent entity from another reality who tinkered with the DCU and made it worse just because they thought it'd be an interesting change. And he's from one of the iconic books that launched the Dark Age poo poo that poisoned the New 52 right from the start. I'd say that there's literally no way they could make it clearer without going full Grant Morrison, but seriously, this is the Monitors in Final Crisis, except turned up to 11 and with the subtext even less present.

"They" in this is Geoff Johns, a major contributor if not the architect of New 52, who has made cake out of the Dark Age. He's now writing a comic which blames the whole thing on an "antagonistic force outside of the universe" and it's not him - it's not a rip of Morrison showing up in Animal Man - it's Doctor Manhattan from the well-plundered graveyard of Moore's Watchmen. The Watchmen, which is to be blamed for ushering in the Dark Age of Comics the same way that Jaws is to be blamed for Transformers 4.

The cold unfeeling grip of Doctor Manhattan himself reached in and remade the bright world of DC comics as they existed before 2011 into the nightmare of New 52. It's all his fault. It's Watchmen's fault for poisoning the comics industry with cynicism and pessimism. Johns agrees, the creators of New 52 (he talks as if this doesn't include himself) incorrectly believed Watchmen to be a manifesto of how to write comics, and the DC universe is going to fight that incorrect belief within the comic itself - as he says about Manhattan being the bad guy “If you’re going to have a conflict between optimism and pessimism, you need to have someone who represents a cynical view of life and also has the ability to affect this. I know it’s crazy but he felt like the right character to use.”
That's right, the figure of Doctor Manhattan will be the bad guy in a comic written by Geoff "Everything sucks because people don't understand The Watchmen" Johns that rejects the cynicism of the New 52 as portrayed by Geoff "What can I do, I'm only the Chief Creative Officer?" Johns.

Literally the last third of The Watchmen could be subtitled "How Manhattan Got His Groove Back" as he leaves the book the most hopeful and optimistic of the characters having been transformed from a detached otherworldly superbeing into a god filled with renewed interest at the wonders of the universe. The idea that Manhattan is to blame directly for New 52 and by proxy misunderstanding Watchmen is to blame for the Dark Age presented by a writer who doesn't admit he holds a significant contribution directly to the Dark Age and New 52 in particular, and who is currently giving interviews which clearly demonstrate he either still does not understand Watchmen or is yet to even read it, is not an apology. It's literally just Geoff Johns retreading Infinite Crisis but insisting this time it's different I swear, and by issue 3 or 4 someone will have lost an arm again.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 24, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

poo poo sorry.

Rhyno spoiled something for me once so he's to blame for there not being spoilers in my post.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Changing someone's reality to alter their behaviour counts as mind control and therefore it cannot be that because this is really Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

He wasn't back in those halcyon days of the Brubaker run. I miss non-jerk Comics Steve Rogers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's a loving shame they only have like the first 4 issues on Marvel Unlimited before skipping to like issue 38.
The paucity of the back catalog outside of the headliners is my one criticism of Unlimited.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Angel is gay as gently caress, just not the same kind of gay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hancock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wait, I want to change my answer to Forever Knight. Not for any particular reason, but just because that Night Man poster reminded me of terrible 90s tv promotional material.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I scrolled down until I hit a Starfire pencil where she was showing off both boobs and a butt plus her face and flexing for the camera while kneeing(?) the air and I was like "wow, this guy should work for DC".

Then I scrolled past his artwork and it turns out he already does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD was totally a movie that was made starring David Hasselhoff, and Cumberbatch will be the second Doctor Strange movie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's four fantastic Fantastic Four movies because the condition was "made" rather than "actually released".

Also Man-Thing which I am still yet to watch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be fair, it is a pretty cool stat when you miscount and intentionally downplay Lee's adaptations while including all of Millar's possible adaptations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I liked the Earth X Loki where he's the only god to have lied so much that he can understand that his entire godhood is a lie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Do transportation powers count, like Nightcrawler, Falcon, and The Hood? Wait is The Hood still teleportation now instead of an invisibility cloak?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lady Stilt-man

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Kirby

Guess I'm going to have to find that comic.
After nanobots render her sterile April goes back in time and discovers that the magic drawing crystal introduced in that story was her father's and she was actually a sentient drawing the whole time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If the X-Men Lucifer counts as "the devil" then so does Loki who posed as Satan in the Venus comics and lived in Hades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's June 2nd though? :confused:

• Locked thread