Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Inkspot posted:

Freedom Beast is from South Africa. He's pretty rad.

Jeez guys, his pants aren't that tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His dad wasn't a mutant and he looked like a wolfman too, so that might not be a mutation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Havok's powers are cooler than Scott's but they're both pretty big dorks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xavier hiring Dark Beast to do some dirty poo poo to try and reverse M-day was pretty fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish people would shut the gently caress up about what a horrible monster Hillary Clinton is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Bernie supporters are actually the most vicious, which is weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So is Gerry Conway supposed to be like... good? Because I've been reading some Marvel Team-Up and his stories tend to be at the Spidey Super Stories level of creativity and logic without the charm. This guy named Basil Esks became The Basilisk, and then robots caused earthquakes to loosen Manhattan from its foundations so they could use a submarine to pull the entire island out to sea and hold it ransom. That particular story was so ridiculous that it had an editor's note jokingly apologizing for how far-fetched it was. Was he just trying to keep the book accessible to younger readers or something? Or is this just what comics were like in the 70s and I've been spoiled by reading actually good books from the era?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I suppose I'm not painting a very clear picture with just those two examples.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Since I'm kinda tired and not feeling up to trying to mount a cogent argument for why I can accept Stan Lee goofiness over the goofiness of Conway (other than to just shrug and say that it's clumsily written and lacks charm), I'm going to post these panels out of context to make him look bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They've both written some things I really enjoy, but they've also written a bunch of loving garbage that I'm annoyed I wasted my time reading.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do you want to try that question again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean, I suppose Stan, Steve and Jack were all quite far along their careers when they turned out their best work. But even they have Stripperellas and Hawk and Doves tarnishing that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Brubaker's X-men was horrendous, so maybe he counts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Blackagar did nothing wrong.

Eliminating the X-men has always been a noble cause.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 6, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He had a run on Spider-man, it was surprisingly bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was locked in a room with sweaty nerds making games again. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I told my friends about how Psylocke used to be a british white woman with no martial arts ability and they all thought I was loving with them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Aaron story was subtle in that take on Penguin as being completely unbalanced in his own way despite outwardly being a rather sane mob boss, but Hurwitz made it fairly caricatural.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

GMo kicks off his first issue of Heavy Metal with an oil painting of himself and freeverse gibberish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ76ckSPSGE

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Honestly, if you wanted to go for a dark reboot, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines would be the way to go. The tale of a poor child courier, trapped behind enemy lines, desperate to keep his plane operational by any means necessary, pursued by a mad Nazi pilot and his increasingly deranged inventions, his constantly snickering hound, his cowardly yet omnipresent sidekicks...

:suicide:

I'm generally not a fan of slapstick done by people who's approach to slapstick involves "stuff in as much blood and gore as you can".

This style humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQg07Jf9XM

doesn't really work if he's not actually flat, and bantering sarcastically with the announcer. You can argue that it doesn't work at all and it's terribly cheesy, which, fair enough, but I doubt adding in cracked ribs, exposed vertebrae, and buckets of blood would make it funnier. That it's being written by Ken Pontiac of Happy Tree Friends fame doesn't inspire confidence that this isn't the route they're going, but he's also done more tame work (LazyTown, Bump in the Night), so who knows? If they nail the narration and don't try and turn Dick into Lobo, it could be its own weird thing.

I kind of agree with you in principle but Turbo Kid is an awesomely hilarious movie full of horrible gore, and playing that movie dead serious would completely ruin it.

This is the worst year.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda thought 2016 would stop after it took my grandpa.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just learned that George Zimmerman is auctioning off the gun he used to murder Trayvon Martin. I am officially considering cryogenically freezing myself until 2016 is over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm not in favor of killing anyone, even Zimmerman, but, hypothetically, if someone bought that gun just so they could kill Zimmerman with it, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

That sounds like the twist ending to one of these:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

GBS has been bidding on it.

The best internet pranks are the ones that result in a murderer getting more money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It seems like a lot of people on twitter don't understand what palliative care implies with regards to Darwyn Cooke's situation. I don't have the heart to disillusion them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That was incredibly fast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The theory I am seeing in the FB discussions is that he kept it a secret and must have taken a bad turn and that's why it became public.

It's just, my grandfather got diagnosed with incurable doom and somehow lasted 3 months, and he was a blind skinny 90 year old man. Either he was in palliative care for a while now, or it got really bad really fast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Either way, I still feel really bad for people who read an article written by someone who doesn't understand what palliative care means and are tweeting "Darwyn will beat this!" and such things.

Like I thought it was just readers being confused, but apparently some people rewrote the original article and botched the part where he's BEEN fighting cancer and is now in palliative care and are reporting it as "Is fighting cancer". Those are not equivalent stories at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish I could ever smile like a Darwyn Cooke drawing. No one's been happier.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Another legend of comics taken from us way too soon. McDuffie, Wieringo, Cooke... sigh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alan Young died. Scrooge McDuck may have been Don Rosa's baby, but Mr Young did an amazing and steadfast job giving him voice for a new audience.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This one was 97 years old, so it's not really 2016's fault.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

He acted in that Ducktails videogame just a year or two ago, right?

In 2013, yeah. The game has like a goddamn hour of cutscenes, which is not a great gaming experience but is like a neat little extra episode for the fans of the show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

I think you mean Carl Barks.

Everyone needs to be reading the Barks collections being put out by Fantagraphics, they're great.

Let's just agree that they are both names that are strongly associated with that most famous of ducks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Can I say I'm not over the Darwyn Cooke thing yet? Because I'm not over the Darwyn Cooke thing yet.

Dwayne McDuffie's been dead for 5 years and I'm still not really over it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon Cap would be the villain of that - a notorious car thief.

Wrong Captain America.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

It's pretty amazing that anyone that's ever picked up a comic believes this is an actual thing and not just a storyline.

Other than CapnAndy, I don't think a single person bitching about it actually has read a comic in their life.

What's insufferable is that the complainers think they can somehow force a retcon, and will think they've "won" when the storyline concludes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Axis was mostly thought of as poo poo.

That was just forgettable.

Aphrodite posted:

The way they portrayed Iceman coming out.

Yeah, this might be it.

When people ask that my mind immediately goes to One More Day because there's people who are still mad about it, and nobody thought Peter selling his marriage to the devil was a good thing that they liked. Even the people who swear up and down that Brand New Day wasn't a lovely disjointed mess and was totally worth the horribly clumsy retcon wish it had been done more elegantly and without involving the devil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There were a lot of jokes about Deadpool having mancrushes and gay sex dreams over the years, and you could do worse than turning those somewhat homophobic gags into him actually expressing his sexuality.

E: As an example, this is the "pleasure dream" he sees when hit by Black Mamba's power.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It was less 'obvious' stuff like 'I totally have a girlfriend in Canada...we make out...all the time. I like girls, guys!' and more like he was pretty much the only young guy X-Man in the core roster who didn't have a ton of romance subplots, and the ones he did have he always kinda seemed half-hearted/forced into. It was something a lot of gay fans could kinda identity with at that age, a weird kinda 'going through the motions' that no one else really seemed to deal with unless they were like...robots or aliens who straight up didn't get dating, you know? It was a very coded feeling thing.

There has also been some times when it's felt like they were dancing around with the whole 'ok guys Bobby has daddy issues because he's a mutant...get it? He has a rift with his family and wants to show them he can be a normal person to please them even if it means hiding his mutant nature....right???' thing. Of all the characters who got the 'being a mutant...kinda like being some...other minority group...right? Can't really talk about them but you know who I mean....' he got it the hardest, especially in the main cast

http://www.tor.com/2015/04/23/iceman-gay-coming-out/

There was also that great coming out scene in the second X-men movie.

"Have you tried not being a mutant?"

• Locked thread