Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dastardly posted:

Pretty sure the wicked eye shield was one of the shield design contest winners.

hell yeah it was, I think they did the original justice

one of these winners actually got visually changed in Scholar, I hope the shoulder devils will bring that one up when it comes

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
You've probably already gotten through The Gutter by now but Vicas isn't wrong about this area being way easier when you light all the sconces you find.

The random guys with torches aren't all that dangerous, it's the guys with the dark swords that hit hard. And the rats when they don't fall off of stuff.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Parts Kit posted:

You've probably already gotten through The Gutter by now but Vicas isn't wrong about this area being way easier when you light all the sconces you find.

The random guys with torches aren't all that dangerous, it's the guys with the dark swords that hit hard. And the rats when they don't fall off of stuff.

It's also fun and neat to see the area slowly light up as you progress.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Geop posted:

As handy as bonfire warping is in this game, I think it ruins some of the isolation that DS1 gave, particularly nearing Blighttown.

Yeah... You know how Scary getting back up from Quelaag is? I had the good idea to get Ash Lake and the Dragon covenant out of the way while I was down there.

I will never think bonfire teleporting is a bad idea after making it back up from that.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Veloxyll posted:

It's also fun and neat to see the area slowly light up as you progress.
Yeah, very much so.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Get that gal some clothes Geop, jeez!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Use the great club already dang.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So now that we've left The Gutter, what happens when you light all the scones in sotfs?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The Kid had to go to Black Gulch to get some shards, rebuild the Bastion.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

SgtSteel91 posted:

So now that we've left The Gutter, what happens when you light all the scones in sotfs?

as soon as it's done, a secret bagel spawns at the bottom

scamtank fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 23, 2016

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
No spoiler tags, dudes.

Anyways, welcome to the fun zone that is Black Gulch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know why but I always thought the sconces had bones in them instead of kindling.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bones of the undead burn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

At the 11:00 mark - which one of you have a Deadite in the house?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Parts Kit posted:

Use the great club already dang.

Geop's been pumping souls into strength, but does he have the stats for it yet?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

He has enough to two-hand it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
lol if you think geop is giving up his comfort blanket

this is the guy who in the previous video switched from the torch to a shield to kill a slow undead guy when there was an unlit sconce right in front of him

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It really should've been Green Gulch.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Kuvo posted:

Shield blankets are too warm and soft to just throw away.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kuvo posted:

this is the guy who in the previous video switched from the torch to a shield to kill a slow undead guy when there was an unlit sconce right in front of him

Obviously he needs to equip his shield in his right hand.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Obviously they need to just get Geop really, really drunk for the next recording session.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
There is a friend in Black Gulch who can be a bit tricky to find, but I hope Goonther gets to drop by for a visit.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Graph getting real boring without Kuvo around...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Laputanmachine posted:

There is a friend in Black Gulch who can be a bit tricky to find, but I hope Goonther gets to drop by for a visit.

I don't like that guy. However, there are some very nice musicians in there who play the drums, and I always pop by for a little beat.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

double nine posted:

At the 11:00 mark - which one of you have a Deadite in the house?

Sounded like Geop to me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I guess it's more 11:05 but seriously that's a deadite alright

Swork
Sep 5, 2011

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
to be funny
What about that evil Goonther clone around 4:55?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Once a Goonther finds its shield, it bonds with it for life.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Once a Goonther finds its shield, it bonds with it for life.

It's mother won't take it back now that he got his scent on it.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Don't y'all worry, the game is going to start beating Goonther up with his own shield sooner or later (depending on the paths taken).

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 24, 2016

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh man i waited so long for Black Gulch. That area is just one huge gently caress you to the player.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Frionnel posted:

Oh man i waited so long for Black Gulch. That area is just one huge gently caress you to the player.

They made it even ruder in SotFS, if you haven't seen it yet.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Anime Reference posted:

They made it even ruder in SotFS, if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh yeah, i played SotFS :getin:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh yeah, it requires 26 and I think he's at 19. Of course if he had even looked at the item :manning:

Frionnel posted:

I blew so many souls on an absurd amount of firebombs so I could avoid tearing up my main weapons.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Black Gulch is a really cool and atmospheric locale with a classic D&D "descent into the Underdark" kinda vibe, which other areas accessible past this point follow through with really well, but it's just such a goddamn pain in the rear end. I took a wide-swinging polearm and used that to break the statues, my first time through this, and the whole thing just left me with an intensely sour impression.

Of course, later playthroughs I just said gently caress it, ate a million life gems, and just moseyed on through, making it all the more enjoyable. :v:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
For me it wasn't the poison that pissed me off so much as each spit at me stuns just enough to gently caress up any dodge I attempt while running across Green Piss Hole, not to be mistaken for Green Piss Valley.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I don't think I've ever cleared out Black Gulch without abusing the fact that while bonfires respawn the enemies, the statues reassemble themselves only behind loading screens.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I love the Black Gulch, but we've got to go deeper. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Vantablack Gulch

• Locked thread