Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

I blew so many souls on an absurd amount of firebombs so I could avoid tearing up my main weapons.

I just brought a whip in the second weapon slot - wide enough to sweep out a whole bunch in a single swing, reasonably light and enough durability to get through the statues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

scamtank posted:

I don't think I've ever cleared out Black Gulch without abusing the fact that while bonfires respawn the enemies, the statues reassemble themselves only behind loading screens.

Same.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I had a huge, wide swinging sword that would take multiple out at a time. The great club is super brittle though. And I thought crossbows could break them, though I haven't played for awhile and might be wrong.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Phuzun posted:

I had a huge, wide swinging sword that would take multiple out at a time. The great club is super brittle though. And I thought crossbows could break them, though I haven't played for awhile and might be wrong.

Probably depends on the bolt type.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

PleasingFungus posted:

Probably depends on the bolt type.

Yeah, wood arrows and bolts won't break anything, but other types will. Statues, jars.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If you have the faith for it, aiming Emit Force with the binoculars is pretty great for taking out the statues at a distance.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Play sorcerer and use up all your spellcasts on breaking statues halfway through the area.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Just run through and heal through the poison what the gently caress

It's like 10 meters long

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Yeah. Life gems stack, so 2-3 of those make poison a non issue.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Simply Simon posted:

Just run through and heal through the poison what the gently caress

It's like 10 meters long

You're not wrong, but the first time you play the game you have no idea how big the area is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A little late to the party, but fall damage is actually a fixed amount based on falling distance and equip load in this game, not a percentage of your max HP. For example, you need 1343 HP to survive the drop into the pit without any modifiers and completely naked. The silvercat ring reduces the damage by 600. You'll still die if you fall far enough to take 1600 damage unmodified, no matter how much HP you have, though.

Interestingly enough, falling distance includes your horizontal distance. You'll take more damage with a running jump rather than just falling straight down.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Interestingly enough, falling distance includes your horizontal distance. You'll take more damage with a running jump rather than just falling straight down.

This is probably the thing that makes fall damage seem so completely unpredictable and is definitely why sliding is so frequently much more fatal than it seems like it should be.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You're not wrong, but the first time you play the game you have no idea how big the area is.
That is absolutely true, and the first time I did break all the statues, but people are sharing hot tips on how to prepare using this spell or those arrows and special equipment, you know, things you bring after knowing what to do, and it befuddles me because "just run" is the only preparation you need once you have already figured out the place.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Those [insert minor spoilers for the next video here] complicate the "just run" strategy somewhat.

EDIT: Ack! Sorry. I was assuming from the discussion that we were further into the gulch.

moller fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 29, 2016

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty impressed by the way you handled Victor, I remember that fucker taking a lot longer to kill. Anyway, Green Gulch doesn't really get rude until you happen to die in it... Or try looking for that door by trial and error.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
The creatures with the grab attack (like the ones at about 21 minutes in) remind me of one of the monsters from Beyond Good & Evil

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I always cheesed those guys from the chest room.

I have heard that physical exercise helps keeping the brain in shape as well. Maybe Goonther should ask Lucatiel out for a walk?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Man, good job with the Giants, Geop. I always just cheese them with overpowered spells because gently caress dealing with those hitboxes.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
Darth Wheelchair is just a character I don't get. He's kinda trying to be like the Serpent Geop missed in the first Dark Souls LP, except nothing he says has anything to do with anything.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh hey it's a Domz attack.

edit:

Dr.Smasher posted:

The creatures with the grab attack (like the ones at about 21 minutes in) remind me of one of the monsters from Beyond Good & Evil

:sassargh:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Man, good job with the Giants, Geop. I always just cheese them with overpowered spells because gently caress dealing with those hitboxes.

Yeah, taking them head on with melee was intense to watch. I usually save all my urns and throwing knives just for dealing with these two giants. If you bring summons down there, the giants will not only have more hp, there will also be +1 giant for every summon you have. :gonk:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

As a note, that was the last bit of stuff we've recorded. Scheduling stuff has kinda hit both LPs, so we're temporarily out of backlog :v: I'll also be gutting my desktop (which does all the encoding), so there'll be a potentially lengthy break before the next update.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Toma posted:

Darth Wheelchair is just a character I don't get. He's kinda trying to be like the Serpent Geop missed in the first Dark Souls LP, except nothing he says has anything to do with anything.

Ehh, Kaathe was mainly an opposing force who questioned Gwyn and the need for flame. IMO, dark was more of a means to an end for him.

Satanic Santa here is more of a connoisseur who reveres and studies Dark. It's a shame about Goonther's mental faculties that he can't really learn more at the moment, since we have actually met another ur-goon who likes to sit around in fancy chairs in dark caves, who would actually be glad to tell more about Dark, if Goonther would just understand.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Oh hey it's a Domz attack.

edit:

:sassargh:
I wish they had that kickass battle theme.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toma posted:

I thought that was the point; he babbles on about Dark but doesn't know what it truly is.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Honestly the worms are really easy--if you get up to the side of the wall, they can't even hit you unless you step in front of their 'go back in and lunge out' attack.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip goonther's pole, broke from overhandling

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
A little funny that you guys told Geop to homeward bone out of the dark zone. Couldn't he have just fallen back down to the giant cave and taken the elevator back up, again? A pity to waste such a nicely cleared-out area.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly the worms are really easy--if you get up to the side of the wall, they can't even hit you unless you step in front of their 'go back in and lunge out' attack.
Absolutely

so try running (refer to previous posts of mine)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

PleasingFungus posted:

A little funny that you guys told Geop to homeward bone out of the dark zone. Couldn't he have just fallen back down to the giant cave and taken the elevator back up, again? A pity to waste such a nicely cleared-out area.

And then do what, walk the entire way back to Majula?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
There was one specific thing he could've done before leaving that would've saved him some time for whenever he comes back. Not a big deal in the end!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PleasingFungus posted:

There was one specific thing he could've done before leaving that would've saved him some time for whenever he comes back. Not a big deal in the end!

IIRC there's another specific thing they want to happen that will be more relevant now.

The pyromancy you get from the Royal Rat Vanguard's soul is really good against those giants (and many other things in the game, it's worthwhile on any PvE build that can spare even one attunement slot).

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Note how every place you find him requires you to fall down somewhere, and he is in a wheelchair.

That's some quality Dark Souls storytelling right there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mazed posted:

Note how every place you find him requires you to fall down somewhere, and he is in a wheelchair.

That's some quality Dark Souls storytelling right there.

Honestly I think this is just part of DS2's quirky sense of humor

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe he can walk just fine and the wheels are to make it easier to drag his chair everywhere :pseudo:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Just finished watching episode 43, and holy poo poo, Geop finally equipped the Drangleic shield (seemingly by accident after messing around with the greatshield) and got that sweet 100% physical block after... how many episodes has it been since we got that thing?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
The first thing I thought when you looked up Lucatiel's ring:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OH Jesus Christ, remember that statue back in the tutorial area?

I can barely keep track of all the idiots who got themselves petrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

A little late to the party, but fall damage is actually a fixed amount based on falling distance and equip load in this game, not a percentage of your max HP. For example, you need 1343 HP to survive the drop into the pit without any modifiers and completely naked. The silvercat ring reduces the damage by 600. You'll still die if you fall far enough to take 1600 damage unmodified, no matter how much HP you have, though.

Wow thanks for the concise explanation, always suspected it but never read it so clearly.

By the way, I'm a bit ahead of Geop now, doing DLC stuff that I've found by chance and I only have one thing to say: use the goddamn great club and upgrade it to +10, you'll be literally swinging a loving tree.

• Locked thread