Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Lumping all minority groups into one amorphous blob. Yikes.

If it makes this country browner sure.

I'm sorry you didn't get the memo. This is bad because it would have more white people getting help and this is bad until they are the minority population.

who are you even trying to dunk on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Weird, it's almost like we don't think our political opposition should be starved out of existence. This doesn't line up with my understanding of leftism at all!

It's sort of like how someone who cheats and takes advantage of others can't understand why another person wouldn't.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Snap.photo IDs are dumb because it's the family that receives the card not the individual so saying "x is the only one that can use this card" is stupid because that would mean only one member has exclusive access to the funds. It'd be like having a shared bank account but only one person could access the funds.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The documents on Trump U have been unsealed in case no one noticed during this slap fight.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zelder posted:

who are you even trying to dunk on

Myself. Always myself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Snap.photo IDs are dumb because it's the family that receives the card not the individual so saying "x is the only one that can use this card" is stupid because that would mean only one member has exclusive access to the funds. It'd be like having a shared bank account but only one person could access the funds.

This is true. It is hard enough for a kid to have to use the card if they are home alone and need to walk to the grocery store for milk, bread, and eggs. Why make it more difficult?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

An official government channel answered by Humana, Healthnet or United Healthcare.

Haha, well I may have had some of the few patients who were happy with it then because looking into the reviews of Health Net (who runs Tricare North that I dealt with) it looks like they're got a pretty awful track record overall

The extremely frequent grumbling I heard about Tricare taking 2-3 times to get the beneficiary information correct (if everything doesn't line up perfectly nothing will get paid and there's no way to make that happen until it's fixed, well, no "official" way) makes a bit more sense now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

The extremely frequent grumbling I heard about Tricare taking 2-3 times to get the beneficiary information correct (if everything doesn't line up perfectly nothing will get paid and there's no way to make that happen until it's fixed, well, no "official" way) makes a bit more sense now

Thats just private insurance for you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats just private insurance for you.

Medicaid had this problem too, though funnily enough I could get it resolved in one phone call whereas with private insurers it would take weeks, and probably half the time it was NEVER resolved and we just had to change the patient information in the system to match whatever poo poo they put down to get the claims to process

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Lost in all the chatter was that the reform passed and subsequently kicked some 35000 people off SNAP in Alabama

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Boon posted:

Okay sure, but we're talking about two different things. If you want to fix the VA you need to invest in it and a fundamental level. The electoral politics of the VA is something else entirely.

This is the sad truth. The problems with the VA can be lessened by more funding. Unfortunately the conversation is not about VA funding but dismantling/rebuilding and/or privatizing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

This is the sad truth. The problems with the VA can be lessened by more funding. Unfortunately the conversation is not about VA funding but dismantling/rebuilding and/or privatizing.

At least with private insurance you can go to another hospital.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

No not necessarily.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DemeaninDemon posted:

No not necessarily.

Or you can, but have to pay out of the rear end if it isn't in your special insurance hospital network.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

That is a problem if you do not have reliable transportation or the next hospital being over an hour plus away.

Most of those people are not on or even have insurance, private or other, anyway so whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The documents on Trump U have been unsealed in case no one noticed during this slap fight.

Anything worth note? I mean, other than the fact that it makes it blatantly obvious is a scam, like the fact that their first playbook encouraged recruiters to assign students rankings by their liquid assets so they could be assigned more coursework.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 31, 2016

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Nessus posted:

I'm waiting for some kind of rhetorical shift that lets the GOP continue being idolatrous of The Troops while making GBS threads directly on individual groups of troop. It may just be that they'll do all the pious observances and then go up to the state house and pass the Veteran Earned Assistance Labor Citizenship Urinalysis Time-Limited Electronic Tabulation Act, requiring veterans to prove they have jobs before they get gov't benefits.

I'm skeptical this could happen (at least successfully) - The Troops seem to have really good solidarity. Most soldiers or veterans won't go in for smacking down on other soldiers or veterans.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm skeptical this could happen (at least successfully) - The Troops seem to have really good solidarity. Most soldiers or veterans won't go in for smacking down on other soldiers or veterans.

Let me tell you about the Swift Boaters for Truth, the fine young soldiers who were at the same base as Bowe Bergdahl, and Chris Kyle.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Let me tell you about the Swift Boaters for Truth, the fine young soldiers who were at the same base as Bowe Bergdahl, and Chris Kyle.

I meant turn against whole groups of soldiers, not turn against individuals. But even in those cases, look how the soldiers in question needed to be charged with things like false valor (Kerry, Kyle) or going AWOL (Bergdahl), which are offenses against The Troops themselves.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You could probably get a majority of veterans/active duty servicepersons to vote for anything, up to and including gutting their own benefits, if it was pitched as FREEDOM FREEDOM free market anti-liberal with very little emphasis on the actual benefit cuts and as long as it was a Republican doing it

If you asked 100 active duty people if they wanted to die in a stupid, unnecessary war they'd probably say no, but they still voted for Dubbya in 2004

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bill Kristol continues to be so loving stupid.

He's pushing a staff writer for the National Review as a potential independent conservative candidate for president lol.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

GalacticAcid posted:

Bill Kristol continues to be so loving stupid.

He's pushing a staff writer for the National Review as a potential independent conservative candidate for president lol.

David French, a man so notable that he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Well, that's not quite true. He has one, it's just a disambiguation to three other, better David Frenchs.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Teddybear posted:

David French, a man so notable that he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Well, that's not quite true. He has one, it's just a disambiguation to three other, better David Frenchs.

(h/t @ebruenig)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

GalacticAcid posted:

(h/t @ebruenig)

Well, that's evangelicals lost.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hahaha David French. This fucker defended that horrible Kevin Williamson article calling for the destruction and depopulation of middle America because the white working class can't seem to get its act together.

Kristol really thinks the reader base of the National Review is a perfect microcosm of the whole country doesn't he.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

That's exactly the answer. Don't give them money for food, give them money for drugs and alcohol and cigs.

Its a more efficient means of injecting cash into the economy. You seem to be really selling GMI.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Crowsbeak posted:

Its a more efficient means of injecting cash into the economy. You seem to be really selling GMI.

Somehow I feel that healthy folks spend more money than folks who spend it on nothing but heroin.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Amergin posted:

Somehow I feel that healthy folks spend more money than folks who spend it on nothing but heroin.

Uh, hello McFly, if they're spending all their money on heroin they're not saving anything and by DEFINITION are spending more money?????

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Healthy folks at least use their own money.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

So how about GMI for deserving Americans, and higher taxes for undeserving folk with senses of entitlement?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

You could probably get a majority of veterans/active duty servicepersons to vote for anything, up to and including gutting their own benefits, if it was pitched as FREEDOM FREEDOM free market anti-liberal with very little emphasis on the actual benefit cuts and as long as it was a Republican doing it

If you asked 100 active duty people if they wanted to die in a stupid, unnecessary war they'd probably say no, but they still voted for Dubbya in 2004

Yeah the troops are so fuckin dumb, as long as its an R on the ticket they'll vote for 'em. Unlike us more educated folks.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jimbozig posted:

Ah yes, Cicero, famous for bringing the two sides together and ending the partisan strife that threatened to tear apart the Roman republic.

Cicero is a great historical example against the idea that eloquence and respect can overcome these sorts of fundamental differences of belief.

We've already got Crassus running for consul this cycle. And if he wins, he might get to personally take over and plunder Syria for its wealth, and use it as a jumping-off point to start a war with Iran Parthia.

I remember when Obama did a speech talking about he regretted being unable to bridge the partisan divide and saying maybe someone with the skills of Lincoln would have been able to do so, which I found to be an odd suggestion since Lincoln got consensus by waging an immensely blood civil war.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

My Imaginary GF posted:

So how about GMI for deserving Americans, and higher taxes for undeserving folk with senses of entitlement?

I agree, tax the rich.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

Who said anything about Heroin? I was talking about the many convenience and liquor stores that would be helped by GMI as you alluded to.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

UrbicaMortis posted:

I remember when Obama did a speech talking about he regretted being unable to bridge the partisan divide and saying maybe someone with the skills of Lincoln would have been able to do so, which I found to be an odd suggestion since Lincoln got consensus by waging an immensely blood civil war.

Obviously Obama regretted not invading the south

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Epic High Five posted:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now do one from this decade.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Explorer posted:

Now do one from this decade.

A Profile of Post-9/11 Veterans
 Politically, post-9/11 veterans are more likely than adults overall to identify with the
Republican Party—36% are Republicans, compared with 23% of the general public. Equal
shares of these veterans and the public call themselves independents (35%), while 21% of
post-9/11 veterans and 34% of the public describe themselves as Democrats.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2011/10/veterans-report.pdf

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

A Profile of Post-9/11 Veterans
 Politically, post-9/11 veterans are more likely than adults overall to identify with the
Republican Party—36% are Republicans, compared with 23% of the general public. Equal
shares of these veterans and the public call themselves independents (35%), while 21% of
post-9/11 veterans and 34% of the public describe themselves as Democrats.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2011/10/veterans-report.pdf

now why do you think that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

now why do you think that is?

There are probably multiple factors, such as the US military recruits coming from more conservative sections of the country, the established culture pushing people to identify more conservatively, the successful attempt by Republicans to be perceived as the party of national defense, officers skewing the ratios by virtue of being bags of poo poo, and the legacy of the Afghan and Iraq wars and the general shifting of attitudes to support wars once they're being fought that has been identified among both conscripted and volunteer militaries.

• Locked thread