Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

There are probably multiple factors, such as the US military recruits coming from more conservative sections of the country, the established culture pushing people to identify more conservatively, the successful attempt by Republicans to be perceived as the party of national defense, officers skewing the ratios by virtue of being bags of poo poo, and the legacy of the Afghan and Iraq wars and the general shifting of attitudes to support wars once they're being fought that has been identified among both conscripted and volunteer militaries.

In my admittedly anecdotal experience I've noticed that enlisted tend to skew liberal while the officer corps is certainly more conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Give the Air Force credit. Their academy is basically a school inside a giant megachurch.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cravius posted:

In my admittedly anecdotal experience I've noticed that enlisted tend to skew liberal while the officer corps is certainly more conservative.

I figure it probably also somewhat depends on MOS too.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Brainiac Five posted:

I figure it probably also somewhat depends on MOS too.

Yeah, MI vs Infantry probably has a pretty large difference for example

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

I agree, tax the rich.

I think that its the role of Congress to determine whom is deserving of GMI and whom is deserving of higher taxes. I believe in Congress' ability to work together and come to a compromise on this issue.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think that its the role of Congress to determine whom is deserving of GMI and whom is deserving of higher taxes. I believe in Congress' ability to work together and come to a compromise on this issue.

c'mon man, this is just too obvious

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mittromney/status/737802980607557632

:lol:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

They can't be loving serious.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
e: this post should really go in another thread.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 1, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Amergin and MIGF debate policy

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Amergin and MIGF debate policy

Wait is MIGF a gimmick? Like Amergin's admitted he's a literal Copy-Paster[1] with his Derren Brown analogy, but I always figured MIGF actually was a D-level staffer for some C-list politician in the Midwest.

[1] - for the record, I enjoy Amergin's posting. He's inconsistent quality-wise, but when he's on-point he's been the last line of defense against this place going full circlejerk.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jackson Taus posted:

Wait is MIGF a gimmick? Like Amergin's admitted he's a literal Copy-Paster[1] with his Derren Brown analogy, but I always figured MIGF actually was a D-level staffer for some C-list politician in the Midwest.

[1] - for the record, I enjoy Amergin's posting. He's inconsistent quality-wise, but when he's on-point he's been the last line of defense against this place going full circlejerk.

Same here Amergin serves a very good purpose. Whiel Rahm just annoys everyone and I wish he would go back to just covering up for the CPD.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
:ohdear:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-31/credit-suisse-warns-that-workers-are-gaining-ground-and-u-s-equities-may-suffer

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MIGF is a gimmick. I'm genuinely impressed with his posting, he can always put the right amount of ill-thought out opinion in a concise way that you always read that poo poo before your brain has the time to go "dude stop it's MIGF the gently caress are you doing?"
And he always manages to take the unpopular side of the issues.

Amergin dreams he could pivot like MIGF can.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SSNeoman posted:

MIGF is a gimmick. I'm genuinely impressed with his posting, he can always put the right amount of ill-thought out opinion in a concise way that you always read that poo poo before your brain has the time to go "dude stop it's MIGF the gently caress are you doing?"
And he always manages to take the unpopular side of the issues.

Amergin dreams he could pivot like MIGF can.

Spinning around 360 is technically a pivot!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I love that articles like this exist, goes perfectly with the complaining about having to pay people for the work they do thanks to the new overtime rules.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Rising wages crimp corporate profitability, thereby weighing on the ability of S&P 500 companies to increase earnings. Credit Suisse found that for more than three decades, this gap between nominal GDP growth and wage growth has tended to correlate with the rate of profit growth. The S&P 500 has typically peaked roughly 12 to 18 months after profit margins, which tend to hit cycle highs 29 months after average hourly earnings trough.

My rising standard of living is literally suffocating corporate profits.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalman posted:

And photo ID would help... How, exactly?

A store owner willing to commit fraud by buying an EBT card at a discount isn't going to hesitate to use that card whether it has photo ID or not. They'll buy it at a discount and run that poo poo through their own tills fraudulently.

(It's kind of like how voter ID doesn't actually prevent voter fraud.)

Interesting how this correct point went completely ignored by the guy defending Alabama's photo ID law, huh.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
"Hmmm I wonder what effect another Reign Of Terror might have on corporate profits?" - no one in research at any bank ever, apparently

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's like, I realize that article is perfectly neutral, just like Credit Suisse's analysis is perfectly neutral and correct. Making wages trough makes profits spike.

Maybe that's what's so alarming about it, there's no hatred behind it. It's like Skynet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Good. gently caress 'em.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SedanChair posted:

It's like, I realize that article is perfectly neutral, just like Credit Suisse's analysis is perfectly neutral and correct. Making wages trough makes profits spike.

Maybe that's what's so alarming about it, there's no hatred behind it. It's like Skynet.

I'm sure there's hatred from the intended Bloomberg audience that stocks and CEOs matter more than the American public at large.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kilroy posted:

"Hmmm I wonder what effect another Reign Of Terror might have on corporate profits?" - no one in research at any bank ever, apparently

Oddly enough, the first one lead to a boom in land speculation and currency manipulation by the elites that went on through the whole thing while the politicians and mobs were busy chopping one another's heads off..

We also only really talk about the Reign of Terror because of how it impacted Paris. Because Parisians are self-centered assholes.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SedanChair posted:

They're also not strictly wrong in suggesting that a loss of corporate profits isn't great. I mean I'm as much of a gently caress-all-corporations-forever lefty as anyone, but historically corporate earnings recessions tend to precede actual recessions. I'm not trying to suggest doom and gloom or anything, it's just that this recovery has been anything but typical (and we're almost definitely past the mid-point by even optimistic standards) and a lot of pretty smart people are flailing around trying to figure out what's actually going on with the economy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

I'm sure there's hatred from the intended Bloomberg audience that stocks and CEOs matter more than the American public at large.

The investor class now looks on us with the same scorn that Republicans looked down on welfare moms with. Only instead of begrudging them welfare, they're begrudging us our own wages.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

They're also not strictly wrong in suggesting that a loss of corporate profits isn't great. I mean I'm as much of a gently caress-all-corporations-forever lefty as anyone, but historically corporate earnings recessions tend to precede actual recessions. I'm not trying to suggest doom and gloom or anything, it's just that this recovery has been anything but typical (and we're almost definitely past the mid-point by even optimistic standards) and a lot of pretty smart people are flailing around trying to figure out what's actually going on with the economy.

In normal economies sure, but how much of these profits they're talking about are actually things that Joe Sixpack actually sees or ever touch the reality outside of the finance bubble they live in? If all that money goes away from that bubble, it's probably going to outside the bubble, meaning a hit to their bottom line would be a net positive. All these places that are raising the minimum wage and expanding medicaid aren't burning to the ground so I doubt anything bad happens if we stop letting them skullfuck anybody who wasn't born a millionaire

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Epic High Five posted:

All these places that are raising the minimum wage and expanding medicaid aren't burning to the ground so I doubt anything bad happens if we stop letting them skullfuck anybody who wasn't born a millionaire

That wasn't really what I was saying.

Like, the fact is that wage growth is still pretty tepid, it's just that overall GDP growth has been even worse. It's great that workers are actually taking a larger share of the pie, but you're also crazy if you think big corporations are simply going to endure a long term period of reduced profits without cutting back on spending in ways that will have real economic effects. The market just isn't structured in a way that corporations can say "yeah, our profits are going to stink for the foreseeable future and we're not going to do anything about it. oh well!" I don't think we're really there yet, though, and that article basically agrees:

quote:

Full employment — the point at which wages really start to accelerate — might still be a long way away, Garthwaite cautions. The U6 unemployment rate (which includes part-time employees who'd rather be working full-time, discouraged workers, and people who say they want a job but aren't looking for one) stands at 9.7 percent versus an average of 6.8 percent in the new millennium.

If U6 unemployment is still that high then we're nowhere near the point where the labor market is "too good." Or if it is, then we're in real trouble.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SedanChair posted:

It's so comically tone-deaf it almost reads as parody. Workers are just barely starting to see the sun peak from behind the clouds after getting ground into dust for eight years and the masters of the universe can't even put on a fake smile and pretend it's a positive.

The article isn't even arguing that increased costs driven by labor will spur another recession, just that it will slow the growth of their already overstuffed portfolios.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"Credit Suisse Warns Good Thing Might Happen."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

That wasn't really what I was saying.

Like, the fact is that wage growth is still pretty tepid, it's just that overall GDP growth has been even worse. It's great that workers are actually taking a larger share of the pie, but you're also crazy if you think big corporations are simply going to endure a long term period of reduced profits without cutting back on spending in ways that will have real economic effects. The market just isn't structured in a way that corporations can say "yeah, our profits are going to stink for the foreseeable future and we're not going to do anything about it. oh well!" I don't think we're really there yet, though, and that article basically agrees:

If U6 unemployment is still that high then we're nowhere near the point where the labor market is "too good." Or if it is, then we're in real trouble.

If they slash hours and benefits as a response to anything at all, it would actually just be the status quo. If they're worried it's because they feel like they're running out of poo poo to cut, meaning their short term profit generation scheme is reaching the end of its shelf life and now they have to face blowback from both the workers AND the shareholders. This isn't a culture or business philosophy that is doing us any favors and lancing this boil will only cause good things.

I still say it gets worse before it gets better though because nothing's getting better until unions see a resurgence

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

SedanChair posted:

The investor class now looks on us with the same scorn that Republicans looked down on welfare moms with. Only instead of begrudging them welfare, they're begrudging us our own wages.

Less scorn and more complete dispassion. Wages are a value to be tweaked, just like other various overheads and inefficiencies. The cost to humans is irrelevant.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's time to disrupt the capital class

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

It's time to disrupt the capital class

So long as by disrupt you mean drop out of a thirtieth floor window

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Not following very closely... has the thread discussedTrump's meltdown yet?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Or even, could pursuing massive profits at all costs, including rubbing consumer wages' face in poo poo like a bad dog, possibly contribute to boom and bust cycles??

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh for fucks sake can somebody start up the June thread already?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Or even, could pursuing massive profits at all costs, including rubbing consumer wages' face in poo poo like a bad dog, possibly contribute to boom and bust cycles??

Nah, the trend of young professionals living with their parents is just laziness and not an entire generation getting priced out of living within 2 hours of work via speculative rentiers or anything.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

Oh for fucks sake can somebody start up the June thread already?

I never start the thread until midnight, Pacific time. Eat it Eastern time havers :smug:

Anyway, time to start writing the OP...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Please no more uspol may yodatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Please no more uspol may yodatars.

It'll be something worse