Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

enri posted:

Likewise, I'm back in too :cool::hf::v:

...now I just need to find something I want to paint for this month :/

Nice to see some other veteran oathers coming back. I'll going to make an oath too, I just need to check if I can find a dragon or a monster or something in my closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

enri posted:

Likewise, I'm back in too :cool::hf::v:

lilljonas posted:

Nice to see some other veteran oathers coming back. I'll going to make an oath too, I just need to check if I can find a dragon or a monster or something in my closet.

Veteran crew checking in, first oath since season 1 or 2. I was going to paint one of the many skeletons in my closet but I decided they should probably stay there for a while. So I went with robots and barbarians and kept my skeletons locked away.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I Grey Hunter, Oath for this first month of the new thread - "Goonville" - a 3mm Scale village made up of 10 interchangeable sections, and 96 6mm WWI German Soldiers (who are about to occupy it.) by Baccaus Minitures.

The village is going to be an interesting one to do, as I'm most likely going to be using wall paint for most of it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

lilljonas posted:

This avatar is one that I won in the first oath thread, yay :D

Ok here goes...

I, enri, hereby oath to paint 4 frostgrave cultists

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I have a few questions! most of them are probably self-explanitory, I'm just making sure I'm doing things right as I get into the swing of things.

should I wait for approval before starting the actual paint? I've got half my may oathed models assembled now, and will take another pic once they are primed.

I can oath as many times a month as I like, as long as they are all completed by the due date? as an addendum to that, assuming I can complete multiple oaths in one month, do you need to complete at least one a month to get the "master" achievement?

on the subject of the starting point, it says "zenithal priming IS allowed, however pre-shading or picking out details is NOT allowed** " I'm not sure what that is, I have 15 Ork Kans that are primed, and then misted with a second metallic primer. a google search seems to confirm this. would they be allowed to be entered in that condition? they have no other paint, just a black base and a silver mist spray.

can you complete multiple challenges/achievements within the same oath, or do they need to be separate oaths? (I.E. would completing a unit of 10 fantasy models within 24 hours complete the May theme of painting a fantasy themed model, speed painting, and squad goals, or can only one be completed at a time?)

for the "It's a rescue!" challenge, can a heavily converted model or scratch-build that is half built but unprimed count, or does it need to be a pure "paint" rescue?

It case it's not obvious, I'm super excited about joining the Oath thread! I'd also like to throw down the gauntlet to any other speed painters out there. I'd love to go head-to-head in either a single model time challenge, vehicle, monster, unit, or anything else y'all can think of! My personal goal is to finish 1,000 models in 12 months.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I Grey Hunter, Oath for this first month of the new thread - "Goonville" - a 3mm Scale village made up of 10 interchangeable sections, and 96 6mm WWI German Soldiers (who are about to occupy it.) by Baccaus Minitures.

The village is going to be an interesting one to do, as I'm most likely going to be using wall paint for most of it.

Now I want a "goon lair" all-year terrain contest.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'll answer what I can! Krush is the official answers man though.

malal posted:

should I wait for approval before starting the actual paint? I've got half my may oathed models assembled now, and will take another pic once they are primed.

Nah, go for it. Your oath pic looks fine to me so paint away!

malal posted:

I can oath as many times a month as I like, as long as they are all completed by the due date? as an addendum to that, assuming I can complete multiple oaths in one month, do you need to complete at least one a month to get the "master" achievement?

You can make oath additions in a month (mention Oath Addition in your subsequent posts) but note you only get credit if you complete all your oath additions in a month. i.e. don't add stuff to the oath unless you're confident you can finish it. Your oath completion post should include everything you have oathed that month.

malal posted:

on the subject of the starting point, it says "zenithal priming IS allowed, however pre-shading or picking out details is NOT allowed** " I'm not sure what that is, I have 15 Ork Kans that are primed, and then misted with a second metallic primer. a google search seems to confirm this. would they be allowed to be entered in that condition? they have no other paint, just a black base and a silver mist spray.

I'd say that'd be fine, it's essentially a single colour (silver). The rule is mainly to stop things like picking out weapons and things in a different colour.

malal posted:

can you complete multiple challenges/achievements within the same oath, or do they need to be separate oaths? (I.E. would completing a unit of 10 fantasy models within 24 hours complete the May theme of painting a fantasy themed model, speed painting, and squad goals, or can only one be completed at a time?)

You can claim as many Achievements as you want in a single post, and can do either or both of the challenges (also called Jurnals). Note even if you do both challenges for a month it's still worth 1 point. Some achievements are automatically scored (1st/3rd/6th/9th/12th completed oath) and the 'all in one' can only be scored in April (iirc you don't have to oath during Arpil for this so long as you post the pic).

For anything you're claiming be sure to add them in bold in your oath complete post to ensure they aren't missed.

malal posted:

for the "It's a rescue!" challenge, can a heavily converted model or scratch-build that is half built but unprimed count, or does it need to be a pure "paint" rescue?

I'd say it applies to anything you rescue, e.g. a badly assembled figure from eBay you're taking apart and fixing up would count - however Krush has the final say on this.

malal posted:

It case it's not obvious, I'm super excited about joining the Oath thread! I'd also like to throw down the gauntlet to any other speed painters out there. I'd love to go head-to-head in either a single model time challenge, vehicle, monster, unit, or anything else y'all can think of! My personal goal is to finish 1,000 models in 12 months.

Welcome aboard! Adding personal challenges / competitions etc. is always welcome, just post and paint :) - it'd be neat to have an 'everyone speed paint the same mini' type competition but it's probably not that practical sadly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, something for the terrain nuts among us would be good. I know I've made a whole bunch of stuff I need to post into the Terrain thread at some point - but this is a nice resin set, so I thought it fitted in here.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I, JackMack, oath one GW Bloodthirster and one GW Keeper of Secrets

The daemon stretched its many limbs out for the first time in aeons. It had been trapped too long with the minion of war. They had been lured into the jar of Bonne Mammon many years back and held there, deep under a dark brown potion brewed by the sorcerer Daniel Ettol. The daemon sniffed, he could smell the stink of it still on him. He felt washed out and colourless. He gazed across at his cellmate who was crouched, panting. He looked similarly pale. They had made an oath that bound them together, and had exchanged true names to bind this. The sorcerer Daniel Ettol, or whatever successors lived now, would suffer... They were too week to manifest straight away, it was either an aeons wait to recover, or a possession. He sniffed the metaphysical air again, apart from the stench of the liquid of D.Ettol, he could smell weak minds, they were close and they were open....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, something for the terrain nuts among us would be good. I know I've made a whole bunch of stuff I need to post into the Terrain thread at some point - but this is a nice resin set, so I thought it fitted in here.

I remember that I made a custom terrain piece as a prize once, would people be interested in something like that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm always buying things that I think would make great terrain, but then I never get around to it, so yeah.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

With my first ever oath, I, INinja132, Oath to paint these three Faramir's Rangers from GW's Lord of the Rings line

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath to fail paint the following minis:

(the different colors are dyed plastic, the minis are untouched by paint)

Contents:
9 assorted skeletons
12 assorted zombies
3 ghosts
3 zombie trolls
1 dragon

Everything is roughly 25mm scale, from Dungeon Saga / Mantic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

I'm happy to report that Mr. Green will be guiding you all through the Oath Thread this season, thanks to some awesome webcomics done by goon moths and his wife! This one features, as past drawings did, the intrepid Mr. Green, the Ork With No Name (but he actually...does...have a name? don't worry about that!)

It should probably be noted that until the day before this thread went live, the first month's theme was about painting your oldest model! We promise future themes will be more relevant to the webcomic!

I'm so happy to see art in the Oath thread again! I was bummed that I had too much going on and couldn't do it anymore, but I'm glad the reins have been passed to more capable and talented goon artists.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Grey Hunter posted:

Probably be the best way to go if you need serious quantities of paint. The paint store I work at you can get a quart of "sample" paint for about $7-8, some others do bottles of several ounces for around $3-4 and you can get it in basically any color you want. My store's samples only come in satin sheen though, but that doesn't matter since you'll probably be layering it all in matte sealant anyways.

Ever since I started working there I look at these half ounce bottles from P3, GW, etc and their $3-4 price tag and wince.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 2, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, I've got a nice selection of tester pots, so I'm going to be using them and cheap store acrylics to cover the bulk of it, then I can switch up to the more expensive stuff for fine details.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

richyp posted:

Veteran crew checking in, first oath since season 1 or 2. I was going to paint one of the many skeletons in my closet but I decided they should probably stay there for a while. So I went with robots and barbarians and kept my skeletons locked away.

Oath veteran checking in. I crashed and burned out of one of the previous threads a few years ago, and I have been goaded into trying again this year. Going to take it easy to start, I haven't painted since I failed out last time.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hot drat. I had forgotten about oathin' and maybe this is just what I need to get my painting back on track. Will think about what I'll do.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
I am also jumping back into this after I think oathing once way way back when. Currently in the process of actually figuring out what I have got, before deciding on oathing something. Probably only a little bit to start off with, thinking kicking off with 30k Alpha Legion since I have a trip to Warhammer World/Forge World coming up..

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I, Uroboros, Oath 5 Assault Marines and one Dreadnaught.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Welcome to the newcomers, and welcome back to the old people :v:

I, NTRabbit, open my Season 7 account by oathing to paint

1 Dragon Turtle by Reaper Minniatures (25mm)

If that's not dragony enough for Krushgroove, or monstery enough for Zark, then I'm only just getting started :unsmigghh:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Let's get this litany of failure on the road.

I, Thundercloud, Oath the following - 4 Dreadball extreme robot players, 9 Brokkr, 1 Mining Laser, 1 Helfather and 1 Freya for Deadzone (making a complete faction and 2 mercenaries)

Pictures are going to suck this year as well.

Hoping to get a few Deadzone gangs done. Will put me in the right place for warpath when that hits.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I, jadebullet, oath one Zombie Dragon and building thing for the oath of May

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

jadebullet posted:

That looks like a nice jar of grandma's peach tea!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Liter o' beer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok I guess let's get this started.

I, Ashcans, pledge this Reaper Miniatures Rosie, Chronotechnician (25mm) for May

As for the monthly theme, uh, I guess I can say that this oath is dragon me back into painting? v:v:v Maybe I'll add something else that fits if I can get this done.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I, Lord_Hambrose, do hereby oath one (1) Beastmen Cygor. 28mm. Games Workshop.

I am super excited about doing this. The monster challenge is just the thing I needed to build and paint this model that I had been putting off for years. I have never done anything this big before so fingers crossed.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

As for the monthly theme, uh, I guess I can say that this oath is dragon me back into painting? v:v:v Maybe I'll add something else that fits if I can get this done.

How about "Girl with the dragon tattoo"?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
To quote Captain Barnacles, "Octonauts, let's DO this!"

I, Ilor, do oath this squad of 28mm WW2 American GIs (manufacturer unknown, they were a rescue)

This is my first oath. I'm so screwed. :cripes:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Hey, just a heads-up: the Oath Countdown page (https://oath-countdown.appspot.com/) doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Just in case no one's clicked on it yet. I lived by that thing this past season, and I'm sure others did too. Are we just using the World Time Server for now, or will this app be fixed or substituted? Thanks!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
IT'S OATH-CLOBBERIN' TIME!

darnon posted:

I, Darnon, Oath to paint these Minion pigs from Privateer Press.

Milky Ren posted:

I, Milky Ren, oath to paint this PanOceanian Father-Knight from Corvus Belli's Infinity range:

Signal posted:

I Oath for May:

4 Jaguars, 5 Alguaciles, and Lupe Balboa. All in 28mm from Corvus Belli.

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for the month of May 47 dropzone commander scourge vehicles, 1 dragon from bones, and 1 eye tyrant from someone on shapeways (28mm). I'll also have some resin work and should get to a couple of electronics this month as well.

richyp posted:

I, richyp oath to paint for the month of 2 Unidron Batroids from Corvus Belli 28mm and the 4 Heroes (Barbarian, Elf Mage, Dwarf Warrior and Elf Ranger) from Mantic's Dungeon Saga (25mm?)

Pash posted:

I, Pash, oath for the month of May 1 Privateer press Glacial King and one Privateer press Epic Magnus (magnus the warlord)

3 pictures because its hard to get the light right with a primed black Glacial King.
Thanks for the multiple pictures! I appreciate the effort :)

Flippycunt posted:

I Flippycunt oath to paint these here four viking fellows from Gripping Beast for use in my SAGA warband and probably Frostgrave as well.

Foolster41 posted:

I, Foolster41 oath to paint these Reaper Bones Male Centaur and Female Centaur.

It's a rescue (Because i'm dumb and oathed right before I had to go to bed on the last night)

Fuegan posted:

I'm doing a bunch of rescue stuff at the moment as my army is a half-painted pile of poo poo, but since it's only one model for rescuing I guess this guy will have to do!

I, Fuegan, oath to paint one Space Marine Librarian. It's a rescue! (because for some reason I only ever painted one leg in a slightly different shade of blue :smith:)

JerryLee posted:

Let's get this show on the road! I, JerryLee, oath to paint for May this Male Storm Giant by Reaper!

overthefalls posted:

I, overthefalls, oath for May 2016: 3 GW Lictors.

Let's get back in the saddle, I guess. Hopefully these count as monsters since they go all Predator on things.

malal posted:

I am going to complete an oath for the first time in many, many years. I'm essentially new to this, so anyone feel free to tell me if im doing anything wrong.

I, Malal, do hereby oath to complete the following models. All four assassin models, the Battle of Calth box set, 30th anniversary Marine, and an Ork Bomma piloted by a Saurus Shaman. (for my dragon choice, of course.)

I haven't painted anything for six months or so and I'm going to be writing a speed painting guide while I go, so I figured I'd go light for my first oath. (45 models counting the pilot.)

For monster May-Hem, can we do big robots? (Gorkanought, Knight, Stompa, etc.)

LewdMonocle posted:

I, LewdMonocle, Oath to paint Hoarluk and a stone scribe elder. Gonna be putting these guys on smaller bases for frostgrave, that cool?

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Well I was gonna oath for some other stuff but I happen to have a dragon I was looking forward to practicing airbrushing with so welp:

I, forums poster tallkidwithglasses, oath to paint a fuckin dragon.

GoodBee posted:

I, GoodBee, oath one Skorne Archidon Heavy Warbeast for WarMachine/Hordes.

Grey Hunter posted:

enri posted:

This avatar is one that I won in the first oath thread, yay :D

Ok here goes...

I, enri, hereby oath to paint 4 frostgrave cultists

JackMack posted:

I, JackMack, oath one GW Bloodthirster and one GW Keeper of Secrets

INinja132 posted:

With my first ever oath, I, INinja132, Oath to paint these three Faramir's Rangers from GW's Lord of the Rings line

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, oath to fail paint the following minis:
(the different colors are dyed plastic, the minis are untouched by paint)

Contents:
9 assorted skeletons
12 assorted zombies
3 ghosts
3 zombie trolls
1 dragon

Everything is roughly 25mm scale, from Dungeon Saga / Mantic.

Uroboros posted:

I, Uroboros, Oath 5 Assault Marines and one Dreadnaught.
[quote="NTRabbit" post="459427439"]Welcome to the newcomers, and welcome back to the old people :v:

I, NTRabbit, open my Season 7 account by oathing to paint

1 Dragon Turtle by Reaper Minniatures (25mm)

If that's not dragony enough for Krushgroove, or monstery enough for Zark, then I'm only just getting started :unsmigghh:

Thundercloud posted:

Let's get this litany of failure on the road.

I, Thundercloud, Oath the following - 4 Dreadball extreme robot players, 9 Brokkr, 1 Mining Laser, 1 Helfather and 1 Freya for Deadzone (making a complete faction and 2 mercenaries)

Pictures are going to suck this year as well.

Hoping to get a few Deadzone gangs done. Will put me in the right place for warpath when that hits.

Ashcans posted:

Ok I guess let's get this started.

I, Ashcans, pledge this Reaper Miniatures Rosie, Chronotechnician (25mm) for May

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I, Lord_Hambrose, do hereby oath one (1) Beastmen Cygor. 28mm. Games Workshop.

I am super excited about doing this. The monster challenge is just the thing I needed to build and paint this model that I had been putting off for years. I have never done anything this big before so fingers crossed.

Ilor posted:

To quote Captain Barnacles, "Octonauts, let's DO this!"

I, Ilor, do oath this squad of 28mm WW2 American GIs (manufacturer unknown, they were a rescue)

This is my first oath. I'm so screwed. :cripes:
You'll do fine!

:siren: OATHS ACCEPTED! :siren:

If I missed anyone's Oath, please just let me know in the thread. If you can quote your Oath post that's helpful but it's not required.

If there's an issue with your Oath I'll quote your post and let you know...like this:

Korwen posted:

I, Korwen, oath to paint this Covenant of Menoth from Privateer press. In addition, I have 4 models I already put black on. I'm not sure if this disqualifies them or not, but they're a Infinity Wu-Ming, Imperial Agent Pheasant Rank, and 2x Celestial Guard.

Congrats on being the first to Oath! However, your models to be Oathed need to be a single color (primer or basecoat) OR you can use the 'It's a Rescue!' Achievement (see the OP) to 'save' these models - please quote this part of this post to let us know what you intend to do.

jadebullet posted:

Your Oath is fine (so Oath Accepted) however your picture doesn't show up in my browser for some reason - would you mind using Imgur instead of hostthenpost? It is the preferred image host for SA after all, and no one ever has issues with it. If you can't/won't, it's OK, it just means possibly a slight delay in getting accepted. Minor thing, no biggie!

I'll answer questions in my next post!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 3, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Season 5 was the first time I oathed, and painted anything really, and I focused on painting a lot of stuff to get the basics down. Most of it looked passable, but it was nice to see my progress through the season. Last season I tried to focus more on technique, and I actually managed to get a few judge awarded point! That felt pretty drat good, seeing that I really was getting better and that someone else actually though that my work didn't look like complete crap.
Anyway, I'm here again.

For the season's first oath, I, Electric Hobo, oath the Frost Giant and Fenrir. From Blood Rage by CMoN.

And I started out by doing some much needed spring cleaning.
Before:

After:

Much better!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Does a Warmaster Army General on Dragon count as a Dragon for the monthly challenge? It's huge... for the scale of the game...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

gilljoy posted:

Do legion of everblight war beasts count as dragons? I want to paint up an angelius or Zuriel this month
Looking at this page http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/legion-of-everblight/warbeasts I'd say anything with wings and a dragon-type face would count as a dragon, that includes the Angelius and Zuriel. I daresay that Zark would count it as a monster as well!

TTerrible posted:

I've got a flyer to oath, I'll work out what I get for it at the end :v:
For the purposes of the thread, anything with wings will count as a dragon :) because of the many different models and games that are out there, I try not to be too strict on definitions so that anyone can take part

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is fortuitous as I might finally be getting back into minis with a Guild Ball team. I'll definitely have to oath it once I pick up the team and some painting supplies.
Get going! :) Thanks for joining!

Uroboros posted:

Would a Dreadnaught count for this month's theme? Biggest thing I've got to paint for my Marines.
If you're going for the Technical Challenge (dragons), no. Unless it's got wings or something. (the idea behind the techinical challeng is that wings are big and hard to paint for some with all the blending and large curved areas). However, if you're going for the Theme Challenge, which is fantasy, if you have something like furs, chainmail, armor, sword, etc., on the model, it counts for the Theme Challenge. So by default the dreadnought with its standard armor will work*, but if it's a Space Wolf dreadnought it works even better because of the furs and stuff that Space Wolves have.

* I realize a space robot is not very 'fantasy' but again there are many, many different games and settings represented in the Oath Thread, and we've made a big effort in the past few years to NOT exclude a particular game setting just because of its aesthetic, so on many things I'm quite lenient - if in doubt, just ask! The advantage is lots of people get to take part no matter what kind of game they play, the disadvantage is there are always questions about what is allowed and what's not :)

malal posted:

I have a few questions! most of them are probably self-explanitory, I'm just making sure I'm doing things right as I get into the swing of things.
It's fine! I know Zark already answered your questions so I'll add on to his replies below, as there are a bunch of people who are new or returning after a while away, so it's good to all this out front now.

malal posted:

No - you don't have to wait for approval unless you're unsure for some reason, or have a question that your Oath won't be approved. Please go ahead and start painting, if there's anything questionable I'll post in the thread and *maybe* ask for another picture, and even then usually whatever progress you've made will be fine. Generally this is not a problem at all. Go ahead and start!

malal posted:

Yes, you can Oath as many times as you like in the thread, but weirdly your Oath 'count' resets when you do an Oath Addition. This is a relic of the old way of Oathing from before I took over, but in its own way it adds a gambling element to your Oath: you can add as much stuff as you like to your Oath, even after you've completed your Oath, but will you finish before the end of the month? If you don't, you lose your points! If you do...all you do is get the same number of points you would have gotten for doing a single model. So in keeping with the laid-back-yet-stressful-only-if-you-make-it-stressful ethos of the Oath Thread, you can go all the way from Oathing a single model and coast through the month, to Oathing multiple groups of models one after another and pushing yourself to complete a huge batch job, at the risk of losing all your Oath points that month.
[quote=""malal"on the subject of the starting point, it says "zenithal priming IS allowed, however pre-shading or picking out details is NOT allowed** " I'm not sure what that is, I have 15 Ork Kans that are primed, and then misted with a second metallic primer. a google search seems to confirm this. would they be allowed to be entered in that condition? they have no other paint, just a black base and a silver mist spray. [/quote"]
The 'misting' sounds like they are zenithal painted, you can always post a picture ahead of time or as an Oath to confirm. If you do a Google Image Search for 'panel lining', that is explicitly not allowed, as you noted.
[quote=""malal"can you complete multiple challenges/achievements within the same oath, or do they need to be separate oaths? (I.E. would completing a unit of 10 fantasy models within 24 hours complete the May theme of painting a fantasy themed model, speed painting, and squad goals, or can only one be completed at a time?) [/quote"]
You can claim multiple Achievements in a single Oath, whatever you try to fit in. You can plan ahead or say you're going for any specific Achievements, but your Achievements you declare in your Oath Complete post are the ones that will be counted. You won't be penalized for not doing any Achievement that you declared in your Oath post.
[quote=""malal"for the "It's a rescue!" challenge, can a heavily converted model or scratch-build that is half built but unprimed count, or does it need to be a pure "paint" rescue? [/quote"]
This sounds to me like it's not a 'rescue' in the sense of the Achievement...this sounds like a model that was left to collect dust before paint was applied. The idea of the Achievement is to finish painting a half-painted model, but if you can justify the Achievement for that model with a story of why it's been left behind, go for it! The key goal of this thread is to motivate people to build & paint their models, so if this Achievement helps you do that, go for it!
[quote=""malal"It case it's not obvious, I'm super excited about joining the Oath thread! I'd also like to throw down the gauntlet to any other speed painters out there. I'd love to go head-to-head in either a single model time challenge, vehicle, monster, unit, or anything else y'all can think of! My personal goal is to finish 1,000 models in 12 months.[/quote"]
:) If you want to set up a speed challenge contest one month, let me know! I've got many brushes from our sponsor Springer-Pinsel that I can put together for a pretty sweet prize pack!

lilljonas posted:

Grey Hunter posted:

I remember having a set of terrain oathing rules the first or second thread that I organized, but at the time we were still using the specific sizing rules that included something like 5 30mm Space Marines being the 'standard size' for the Oaths, and that led to the terrain rule being quite complicated because of the different scales and types of terrain! In recent years I've simplified things quite a lot to where you can literally have just a single model of any scale being your Oath, so you can paint any kind of model, including terrain, for your Oath if you like. There's nothing stopping you! :)

With summer coming up and yard work season in full effect, it might be worth doing a single-month competition that's focussed on terrain, though. If you terrain dudes want to come up with a simple set of rules that will work across all scales of terrain we can get something going. I can toss in a new bag of flock or something (it'll be cheap to post, too!) and I'm sure some other guys will be able to chip in. Rules can be simple as: Anyone who completes an Oath that includes terrain will be entered into a one-time-only prize draw for some stuff donate by goons!

lilljonas posted:

I remember that I made a custom terrain piece as a prize once, would people be interested in something like that?
This would be an awesome addition to our Grand Prize pool of loot!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Hey, just a heads-up: the Oath Countdown page (https://oath-countdown.appspot.com/) doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Just in case no one's clicked on it yet. I lived by that thing this past season, and I'm sure others did too. Are we just using the World Time Server for now, or will this app be fixed or substituted? Thanks!
Unfortunately I can't recall who made this app originally, which is a big shame because it was really helpful! If someone remembers (or if you're the awesome goon that did this), please let me know!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Electric Hobo posted:

Season 5 was the first time I oathed, and painted anything really, and I focused on painting a lot of stuff to get the basics down. Most of it looked passable, but it was nice to see my progress through the season. Last season I tried to focus more on technique, and I actually managed to get a few judge awarded point! That felt pretty drat good, seeing that I really was getting better and that someone else actually though that my work didn't look like complete crap.
Anyway, I'm here again.

For the season's first oath, I, Electric Hobo, oath the Frost Giant and Fenrir. From Blood Rage by CMoN.

quote:

And I started out by doing some much needed spring cleaning.
Before:

After:

Much better!

I'm going to try to watch over the Achievements and such this time around (I'll TRY to, anyway), by checking the Achievement and Technical/Theme Challenge pictures individually. It's rough at the end of the month with the flood of stuff that people are finishing up but I just want to keep a closer eye on those things if I can. Basically unless something jumps out at me I won't question anything, I'm not very strict (as hopefully all of you can tell) but I don't want the question of points for Achievements, etc., to rest only with Zark the Damned. (Zark, feel free to email me with questions on anything you spot as well.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Unfortunately I can't recall who made this app originally, which is a big shame because it was really helpful! If someone remembers (or if you're the awesome goon that did this), please let me know!

Thanks to the power of the internet, I can tell you it was originally made by Deanut Pancer

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^ thanks!

One of the New Things for this season is I'm going to do my best to collect questions and answers together into certain posts.

There's an FAQ & Annoucements post in the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774261&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post459374988

and each month will have an announcement post where the details of that month's Challenges are mentioned again, plus the fantastic artwork from moths, and any questions and answers about that particular month. The May post is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774261&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post459375579

If someone asks a question pertaining to one or other, I'll try to post it in the relevant post if I think it will help other participants - if I miss a question just let me know in the thread or by email/PM!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

Krushgroove, just in case... You quoted my oath but didn't do anything with it. Did you forget the oath accepted thing?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Whoops, my bad. I will switch it to Imgur when I get home from work. Sorry bout that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
No worries! I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, and I'm not sure if it's just that image host or whatever, but it just doesn't show. Not a biggie normally but if you post a lot imgur just does work better - sign up for an account and you can always find your past uploads on there really easily.

Electric Hobo posted:

Krushgroove, just in case... You quoted my oath but didn't do anything with it. Did you forget the oath accepted thing?

I was just using your post as the perfect way to point out that I missed an Oath! ;) (not really, I meant to accept it and all that!)

Oath Accepted!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 3, 2016

• Locked thread