Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Weirdo posted:

How about "Girl with the dragon tattoo"?

Would that actually count? I don't mind missing out on the monthly theme, but I could try some freehand work if that would qualify...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Would keeping track of oaths and achievements be easier if there was some unique code associated with them that you'd put in your poast? Like the May oath would be as simple as MAYS7 and the 6 pack would be 6PACKS7. Then you're only a find function away from all the poasts.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cat Face Joe posted:

Would keeping track of oaths and achievements be easier if there was some unique code associated with them that you'd put in your poast? Like the May oath would be as simple as MAYS7 and the 6 pack would be 6PACKS7. Then you're only a find function away from all the poasts.

If someone wants to work that out, it'd be pretty awesome, but we're in the stone ages here with manually putting links and points in the spreadsheet.

Ashcans posted:

Would that actually count? I don't mind missing out on the monthly theme, but I could try some freehand work if that would qualify...
I suppose if you want to paint a dragon onto your model that would count as a dragon-y theme!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

We have enough trouble with people remembering to claim things at all, getting people to post special codes is probably a no-go :)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

krushgroove posted:

If someone wants to work that out, it'd be pretty awesome, but we're in the stone ages here with manually putting links and points in the spreadsheet.

I think I might be making this sound too advanced. When someone makes their May oath they just include MAYS7 in it somewhere. Then when you're looking for oaths to approve you can just F5 down a page or use the search function on the site. It's not a perfect system as there's people who will forget to use it but it saves you having to squint at every single poast.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

We have enough trouble with people remembering to claim things at all, getting people to post special codes is probably a no-go :)

Yeah, that's the big hole in it. Just trying to save krushgroove's eyes and time.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
To be fair, it's Zark's eye's actually, as he is the scorekeeper - but yes this time I'll be putting a little more effort into watching out for that stuff!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

I, JcDent, oath a (Infinity/Corvus Belli) Hexa, a Swiss Guard and an Aquila Guard, as well as a Hind from either Heroics and Ros or Scotia Grendel for the month of May

Those of you who never forget stuff might notice that I haved oathed several of the models before. Yup, those Infinity dudes have had a swim again.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JcDent posted:

I, JcDent, oath a (Infinity/Corvus Belli) Hexa, a Swiss Guard and an Aquila Guard, as well as a Hind from either Heroics and Ros or Scotia Grendel for the month of May

Those of you who never forget stuff might notice that I haved oathed several of the models before. Yup, those Infinity dudes have had a swim again.

Swimming? You could use these models for the water theme challenge! :v:

Oath Accepted!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I, brand new member TheFinalTuba, oath to paint the Closing Time crew from Malifaux

Looking forward to getting going!

TheFinalTuba fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 3, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

PierreTheMime posted:

Alright, that's it. I'm getting back in on this. I've been lazy and complacent and this will get me back into the spirit of things. I'll post an oath later on today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow).

I, PierreTheMime, oath to paint a Space Marine Devastator unit and a Imperial Knight heraldry banner from Warhammer 40,000!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
One more question, what happens if you fail the oath? Mocking? Slannesh avatar? The hatred of your fellow oathers? Must shave head like a slayer due to your wronged honor? Can only post in the Star Citizen thread for one month?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Euphemism for stripping, friend! I'll be going for the fantasy theme with Hind, because it's a detail-less piece of junk otherwise

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of May, oath 10 Graveguards and 1 Empire Wizard. 28mm GW.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

I, Scowny, oath that I will paint these 5 28mm GW Alpha Legion Headhunters

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of May, the Dark Debts crew box for Malifaux, 32mm by Wyrd Miniatures.

Edit - fixed link.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 4, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, Oath a Contemptor Dreadnought for Warhammer 40k, 28mm, by Games Workshop

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

malal posted:

One more question, what happens if you fail the oath? Mocking? Slannesh avatar? The hatred of your fellow oathers? Must shave head like a slayer due to your wronged honor? Can only post in the Star Citizen thread for one month?

Only your own shame and sense of inadequacy.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

malal posted:

Past seasons had 'Oathbreaker' avatars but that hasn't been done for a while. Just your own sense of failure :)

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

I, SatelliteCore, Oath that I will paint these 5 Space Marine Scouts from GW.

I don't play any tabletop games. I have a lot of miniatures and WW2 models. I need this thread as I have never finished any of them.

imgur isn't working and this site rotated in preview it with no controls. I give up.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Only your own shame and sense of inadequacy.

Awesome, that's manageable.

I'm not worried about my current oath, just trying to figure out how much I want to bite off for June since you really only get one shot at the actual oath. (Adding more later resets the oath.)

Really I just need to pay attention to what's assembled and primed versus what's in the unopened boxes. Turns out marines have a lot more parts then when I last assembled some, haha.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

I, Chance II, Oath this Spriggan & Butcher 2 from Privateer Press as well as a Goblin archer and Halfling Archer from Games Workshop for the month of May!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

krushgroove posted:

IT'S OATH-CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Congrats on being the first to Oath! However, your models to be Oathed need to be a single color (primer or basecoat) OR you can use the 'It's a Rescue!' Achievement (see the OP) to 'save' these models - please quote this part of this post to let us know what you intend to do.

Krush - My thought was that if the Infinity models (the ones with two colors) weren't eligible I'd just oath the two models with just primer, they're on the far right, and just ignore the 4 models in the middle. Is that alright with you? If not I'll just oath something else tonight/tomorrow and paint the whole lot anyways!

Korwen fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 4, 2016

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I counterspin oath 10 Immortals and Dominar Rasheth, Skorne, Hordes, Privateer press.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Are people here using phone cameras,. or reguilar cameras? Everyone's photos here look great. I just can't seem to get a non-blurry photo any more. I must have taken close to 50 pictures with differetnt light configurations and angles and settings (such as turning auto-focus off). Even using my (old) digital camera didn't work.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Foolster41 posted:

Are people here using phone cameras,. or reguilar cameras? Everyone's photos here look great. I just can't seem to get a non-blurry photo any more. I must have taken close to 50 pictures with differetnt light configurations and angles and settings (such as turning auto-focus off). Even using my (old) digital camera didn't work.

I stopped using my camera and started using my iPhone 6. The camera on that's lovely. The lighting is what really does it, IMO.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

Using HTC Something-Sonething, no cameras here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Oath photos usually work pretty well with the flash on. It's one of the rare times it helps.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I use my phone and find that turning the torch on helps compensate for the screen glare and lights up my models. I frequently struggle with oath complete pics though, as I have no lightbox setup.

Not sure if my oath pic link is working, the imgur app is weird. I'll fix it later if needed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Foolster41 posted:

I usually end up using my camera, because my tablet is busted, so I need my phone for the worldtimeserver.com display. Before my tablet broke, I'd usually use my phone, an original Xperia Z. For the completed oaths though, always my camera, but that's because I have a nice one.

Ugleb posted:

I use my phone and find that turning the torch on helps compensate for the screen glare and lights up my models. I frequently struggle with oath complete pics though, as I have no lightbox setup.

Not sure if my oath pic link is working, the imgur app is weird. I'll fix it later if needed.

For some reason your image isn't loading on the page, but is when I open it in a new tab :shrug: e: Oh, you've img linked to the page rather than directly to the image, that's why it isn't working

Also my poor man's lightbox is a white Ikea SKUBB box, with an Ikea DIODER 4 piece strip lighting set on top for the light.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 4, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It could also be due to how close the camera is. A lot of them have a "close" setting (usually a flower icon) for photographing things up close.

No matter what the camera or phone has a minimum safe distance that you can take a non-blurry picture.

It could also just be holding the phone, I use various make-shift tripods to eliminate that. (Or the burst setting when in lazy.)

Lastly, the lens itself could be fogged. I use a Life-Proof case and the film that covers the lens gets dirty really easy. I either clean it before taking the picture, or I pop the phone out of the case.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I, rkajdi Oath that I will paint these four Retribution models:

Apologies for the low quality image, but the only thing working at the moment is an old camera that I can't be assed to figure out how to adjust resolution.

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

With summer coming up and yard work season in full effect, it might be worth doing a single-month competition that's focussed on terrain, though. If you terrain dudes want to come up with a simple set of rules that will work across all scales of terrain we can get something going. I can toss in a new bag of flock or something (it'll be cheap to post, too!) and I'm sure some other guys will be able to chip in. Rules can be simple as: Anyone who completes an Oath that includes terrain will be entered into a one-time-only prize draw for some stuff donate by goons!

I was planning on sponsoring such a thing already, so....

Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

For the month of July, include some terrain in your oath to get entered into a special prize drawing. Any scale will do, but it should be suitable terrain, not just a scenic objective marker, unit filler, or the like. You can gain multiple entries in the drawing (up to 4 including the original entry) by:

Epic: Painting a "sufficiently epic" amount of terrain. This could be a single large, complicated piece, or a number of smaller pieces that go together. One huge castle. A village. A table's worth of terrain. If you think what you did was epic, say so. If I agree, you'll get a bonus entry.

Picture Time: Take a photo of your terrain being used in a game, or as part of a scene with other miniatures you have painted for another bonus entry.

Rules Lawyer: Write a short set of rules for a terrain feature you oathed. The rules can be for any system, but should allow you to use a piece of terrain you painted in a unique way during a game. Toxic sludge that emits poisonous fumes? Tavern that can distract nearby troops with promises of ale?

The winner of the prize draw will get a selection of resin terrain from Worldsmith Industries. I'll work out with the winner the specifics of what they want, but expect something in the range of $75 worth of terrain. Anything on the we store would be fair game, as would anything I've prototyped but is not yet available for public sale.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
The Oath threads have been a fun excuse to motivate my lazy self, even If I fail as many oaths as I succeed.

I Weirdo Oath one Dragon + Elven lord :vd: (Mantic games, 28mm) and six Bones orcs (Reaper, 28mm).

The dragon is the older metal dragon and iirc has been replaced with a new plastic one. The orcs are from the Bones 2 core set and are sculpted by Tre Manor, who has done several kickstarters, and makes great musclemens.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

For some reason your image isn't loading on the page, but is when I open it in a new tab :shrug: e: Oh, you've img linked to the page rather than directly to the image, that's why it isn't working

Also my poor man's lightbox is a white Ikea SKUBB box, with an Ikea DIODER 4 piece strip lighting set on top for the light.

I do not understand the logic of the imgur app's UI, my brain just doesn't get it at all. :shrug:

Will check out that ghetto lightbox though, cheers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ugleb posted:

I do not understand the logic of the imgur app's UI, my brain just doesn't get it at all. :shrug:

Will check out that ghetto lightbox though, cheers.

The lights aren't so ghetto, but I bought them for something else and just haven't installed them yet, but the box is super cheap and you can use any strong light.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dragons, you say? I think I can do that.

I, Drone, hereby oath one Dragon DRG-1N 'mech from Catalyst Game Labs' Battletech introductory box for the month of May 2016.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

The lights aren't so ghetto, but I bought them for something else and just haven't installed them yet, but the box is super cheap and you can use any strong light.

I use a blank white science project board (the tryptic kind,) three sheets of white foamcore board, and two clip lights with 75W natural light bulbs. (The entire rig costs about 35 bucks with coupons.)

Step one, put one of the foam boards on the table.
Step two, open the project board and put it on the foam board.
Step three, clip the lights to the table facing away from the photo booth.
Step four, get two chairs and put the remaining two foamcore boards.
Step five, aim the lights to bounce into your photo box till you get the light levels where you want.

Really, the most important part is to not have direct light shining on the model. His removes a ton of glare and lens flare. I like the cheap setup because I can photograph even giant models.

I haven't taken pictures in a while, I'll put the rig together and show how I set it up and the ensuing results.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Germ posted:

For the month of July, include some terrain in your oath to get entered into a special prize drawing. Any scale will do, but it should be suitable terrain, not just a scenic objective marker, unit filler, or the like.

The winner of the prize draw will get a selection of resin terrain from Worldsmith Industries. I'll work out with the winner the specifics of what they want, but expect something in the range of $75 worth of terrain. Anything on the we store would be fair game, as would anything I've prototyped but is not yet available for public sale.

I was going to ask what if we painted up a whole bunch of scenic objective markers but then I saw the area terrain system on Worldsmith Industries and that actually looks even better.

It looks like you can use them all together as terrain or take off the inserts and use them as objectives, depending on your needs for a particular game. Is that how you can use them?

I generally prefer to play with flat terrain but would like to use better objectives than just empty bases. The area terrain bases look like they're pretty flat without the inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Germ posted:

I was planning on sponsoring such a thing already, so....

For the month of July, include some terrain in your oath to get entered into a special prize drawing. Any scale will do, but it should be suitable terrain, not just a scenic objective marker, unit filler, or the like. You can gain multiple entries in the drawing (up to 4 including the original entry) by:

Epic: Painting a "sufficiently epic" amount of terrain. This could be a single large, complicated piece, or a number of smaller pieces that go together. One huge castle. A village. A table's worth of terrain. If you think what you did was epic, say so. If I agree, you'll get a bonus entry.

Picture Time: Take a photo of your terrain being used in a game, or as part of a scene with other miniatures you have painted for another bonus entry.

Rules Lawyer: Write a short set of rules for a terrain feature you oathed. The rules can be for any system, but should allow you to use a piece of terrain you painted in a unique way during a game. Toxic sludge that emits poisonous fumes? Tavern that can distract nearby troops with promises of ale?

Well, I was just about to start painting some terrain, but I guess I'll save it until July :) Seriously, this is a great competition!

• Locked thread