Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Jurnul for this as hes a very old model:

All in one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I, glitchkrieg, oath for the month of April this 1991 Imperial Assassin (GW, 28mm)

How do I go about doing Save the whale? Do I need to re-oath a mini or just use the original oath?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Addition!

one Sci Fi Generator, in 28mm, from Reaper Bones

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath that I will paint this 1988 Blood Bowl Werewolf (Wilhelm Chaney) (28mm, GW) in the month of April!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of April two old space marines and two plastic bases

The space marines were painted by a friend eons ago, so I plan to Rescue them while remaining suitably vintage. The bases are from some of the new DnD preprimed models that I grabbed to check out, and they will become a couple of tokens.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

:orks101: January Judgement :orks101:

Third Place (1 Point): - Uroboros

I really your bikes. You strike a good balance between matte and metallic. Your highlighting always comes through very well in these photos.

Second Place (2 Points): - Electric Hobo

This guy jumped right out at me. The depth on his clothes contrasted by the dull metal really caught my eye. The basing is lovely and I was worried your March oath had somehow got mixed in the January archive.

First Place (3 Points): - SRM

drat, dude. Black and white and red? Mine would look like the proverbial penguin in a blender but all these guys are v. smooth.

Bonus Point (1 Point): - Signal

This is a real nice "used" white. Grimey but it looks like they hose him down after every encounter.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Signal posted:

Oath Addition!

one Sci Fi Generator, in 28mm, from Reaper Bones

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I, with a rebel yell she QQd, Oath that I will paint this 1988 Blood Bowl Werewolf (Wilhelm Chaney) (28mm, GW) in the month of April!

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of April two old space marines and two plastic bases

The space marines were painted by a friend eons ago, so I plan to Rescue them while remaining suitably vintage. The bases are from some of the new DnD preprimed models that I grabbed to check out, and they will become a couple of tokens.

glitchkrieg posted:

I, glitchkrieg, oath for the month of April this 1991 Imperial Assassin (GW, 28mm)

How do I go about doing Save the whale? Do I need to re-oath a mini or just use the original oath?

Approved!

Re Save da Whales, paging Leperflesh? Not sure if that's even being run any more outside the 'it's a rescue' achievement.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

Two newly rescued very vintage space marines and two Nightmare Fruit tokens.

I didn't paint warhams as a teen, but I have several friends who did, so I'm reliably informed that I have successfully channeled the vintage aesthetic. One friend offered to share the wisdom of an old White Dwarf magazine (and an unopened tub of GW flock), which I have used to faithfully recreate the "flock or sand with goblin green rims" basing style.

The two models are also vintage in another way, being approximate recreations of the pre- and post-Heresy colour schemes of the World Eaters.

The Nightmare Fruit tokens are loosely based on the official art for the fruit.

That's the vintage theme, and the achievements It's a Rescue! and I rolled a six...!.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

:orks101: January Judgement :orks101:
Second Place (2 Points): - Electric Hobo

This guy jumped right out at me. The depth on his clothes contrasted by the dull metal really caught my eye. The basing is lovely and I was worried your March oath had somehow got mixed in the January archive.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how the whole team turned out :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!
I've been busy painting other stuff not much oathing this time.

I did the technical challenge as I painted this guy by looking at these two images:

Not surprising that his colors look nothing like on the box, since the guide doesn't mix anything.

And All for one!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

:orks101: February Fudgement :orks101:

Third Place (1 Point): - Galaspar

I really like what you do with your space marines. I don't know if this is an actual GW pallette but I've never seen any with these colors before. The white and green really make them stand out. I like your heroes purple capes. These guys probably look real nice on the table.

Second Place (2 Points): - Ilor

The wear, dirt, and rust on these is excellent. I think the inside of the treads are particularly well done and give these an extremely well used look.

First Place (3 Points): - Arson Fire

The blue and the bone are my favorite parts on this. You took the standard pinkish exoskeleton and really stepped up the theme with the blue blending. It gives a very clean definition between the two sections without being jarring.

Bonus Point (1 Point): - floppychop

Love these green explosions. They look super toxic and acrid.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how the whole team turned out :)

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the whole team came out very well. This one just really stood out to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath addition, 1 Harbinger of Thoth by Crocodile Games (28mm)

I had some unexpected free time so I thought I'd do the last of these guys for the group photo shot. Last addition, promise!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I, glitchkrieg, oath for the month of April this Night Goblin Archer and Gretchin (GW, 28mm)

Zark the Damned posted:

Re Save da Whales, paging Leperflesh? Not sure if that's even being run any more outside the 'it's a rescue' achievement.

Ah, fair do. I saw it in previous threads and the current thread intro post, so guessed it was still going on - and I wanted to finish off that model that wasn't allowed last month ;)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE!
Not my best work, but I'm pretty happy with how my Heresymans turned out:

More pictures in the painting/Heresy threads.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

OATH COMPLETE!

Trying to claim both theme and technical challenge for April, model being from 1988 and well I hope I painted it old school 'eavy Metal Style.

Edit: I'm sorry about the terrible name tag, I'm out of country for 3 weeks and no access to PS now :P cut it from my previous oath photo.

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 24, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oath Addition!

4 Marauder Guards and 6 Marauder Jacks by Mantic (28mm)

This will be my It's a rescue!, and I'll also be doing this as my theme challenge - they are amongst the oldest minis I own, and they were part of the third oath I ever made, way back in season 4, when I was still painting with model kit paints, using dollar store brushes, and had no idea what washes, details, think your paints, or colour theory were. Gonna bring these up to an acceptable standard.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional oath! A Seraph (Corvus Belli).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Oath addition, 1 Harbinger of Thoth by Crocodile Games (28mm)

I had some unexpected free time so I thought I'd do the last of these guys for the group photo shot. Last addition, promise!

glitchkrieg posted:

I, glitchkrieg, oath for the month of April this Night Goblin Archer and Gretchin (GW, 28mm)

Ah, fair do. I saw it in previous threads and the current thread intro post, so guessed it was still going on - and I wanted to finish off that model that wasn't allowed last month ;)

NTRabbit posted:

Oath Addition!

4 Marauder Guards and 6 Marauder Jacks by Mantic (28mm)

This will be my It's a rescue!, and I'll also be doing this as my theme challenge - they are amongst the oldest minis I own, and they were part of the third oath I ever made, way back in season 4, when I was still painting with model kit paints, using dollar store brushes, and had no idea what washes, details, think your paints, or colour theory were. Gonna bring these up to an acceptable standard.

Red Shoe posted:

Additional oath! A Seraph (Corvus Belli).

Approved!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Cat Face Joe posted:

:orks101: February Fudgement :orks101:

Third Place (1 Point): - Galaspar

I really like what you do with your space marines. I don't know if this is an actual GW pallette but I've never seen any with these colors before. The white and green really make them stand out. I like your heroes purple capes. These guys probably look real nice on the table.

Thanks! It's a variation on the Death Guard Scheme from the Horus Heresy. I like to take the green a lot brighter that the standard scheme though, gives them a little sickly something.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 23, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:siren: Season 8 Announcement :siren:

As there's only about a week left of Season 7, I've gone ahead and made the thread for Season 8 - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818112

If you're interested in joining in for another round, pop along and let me know if you've any questions or suggestions regarding the new rules, challenges and achievements.

I've been working on the new spreadsheet too so it should be a little easier to maintain.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I always used to be confused by people posting oaths this late, but now my job is cratering and I can't sleep right and it makes perfect sense.
I counterspin oath a Gorax for Minion/Circle for Hordes

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

End of semester crunch is hitting me hard. So I'm going to have to take an easy one for this month's Oath.

I Floppychop, oath to paint one Ork Nob by Games Workshop

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ugh, forgot to post this earlier.

I, wdarkk, oath 3 PHR Cruisers for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames

I wanted to do a lot more but April sucks for me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Oath Complete!

And All for One

I apologize for the terrible quality of the all for one. My normal picture method doesn't work for that many models and my house's lighting is atrocious.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

My wife really, really wants to paint one of the figures I oathed for this month, but there'd be no way she could finish it by the end of the month with her work schedule. Is there a way to amend my oath, or do I just gotta take the loss for the month?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

counterspin posted:

I always used to be confused by people posting oaths this late, but now my job is cratering and I can't sleep right and it makes perfect sense.
I counterspin oath a Gorax for Minion/Circle for Hordes

Floppychop posted:

End of semester crunch is hitting me hard. So I'm going to have to take an easy one for this month's Oath.

I Floppychop, oath to paint one Ork Nob by Games Workshop

wdarkk posted:

Ugh, forgot to post this earlier.

I, wdarkk, oath 3 PHR Cruisers for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames

I wanted to do a lot more but April sucks for me.

Approved! (though the last one really should include American Samoa, gonna have to be less lenient next season!)

Takuan posted:

My wife really, really wants to paint one of the figures I oathed for this month, but there'd be no way she could finish it by the end of the month with her work schedule. Is there a way to amend my oath, or do I just gotta take the loss for the month?

It's the last month, I'll allow this. Which model are you dropping?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved! (though the last one really should include American Samoa, gonna have to be less lenient next season!)

That is American Samoa, the black bar I put over stuff just cut off the title bar.

Also, can I claim the Giant Monster/Robot thing for a spaceship specifically noted as transporting giant robots to combat zones?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Late to the start this month, but I have something to work on!

I, LiquidCommunsim, hereby oath to paint these 4 Games Workshop Ork Slugga Boys for my Shadow War: Armageddon team.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

This dude is old-school. "gently caress this Sigmar stuff. For Karl-Franz and the Empire!!!"

Given that this was the oldest unpainted mini I owned, and that I did, in fact, paint his old-school 20mm square slotta-base Goblin Green, I am claiming both the theme and the technical challenges for this month.

I also took some time to clean up and organize my painting space, so I'm claiming the Spring Cleaning achievement. before:

after:

It's amazing how much more enthusiastic I am about painting now that I have a neater, more organized space in which to do it. And how much easier it is now that I don't have a ton of poo poo in my way all the time.

And finally, to close out the season, here's my All For One! photo:

A better (?) look:

Not all of that stuff was Oathed (I did a second squad of American GIs and a German Panzer II), but it's all stuff I've painted since starting the last season in May of last year.

I have to say that this was a fun process. I learned a ton of stuff this year, and the technical and theme challenges definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone when it came to painting stuff. But I've attempted stuff in the last year that I would never have tried previously, so that's been cool. And I got a ton of poo poo done!

I'm looking forward to next season!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

Here's the Tethru Scribe, Harbinger of Thoth and Tethru Master of Words

and for the Theme an old Mage Knight Chaos Mage. This is only from 2000, but it's a pre-paint from a booster pack so hopefully it can at least rival the older minis in crumminess. Here's what it originally looked like. No idea why it ended up so glossy, must have something to do with the material the mini was made of or the paint I painted over.

And here's everything I oathed this year (well, I only participated the last 4 months) for the All For One photo.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

TheFinalTuba posted:

I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint for the month of May, one Civilian from Infinity and one Young LaCroix (is that what this thing is?) from Malifaux!

The Civialian will of course be my "It's a Rescue" and the Gremlin has been kicking around in my collection the longest. One of my first models and still not painted. C'mon me.

And OATH COMPLETED!

Claiming Jurnal for painting my oldest model, the Young LaCroix, as well as It's a Rescue! for saving my poor Comm-Tech. Her start of a paint job was awful before and I am way happier about her now. I even had some fun and turned her hat into Ash Ketchum's hat :) After that, I obviously had to make her little data-pad a Pokedex. Duh. If you squint you can make out a rough facsimile of a Pikachu! Now just have to decide if she will be a Wardriver or a High Value Target...

Also! My picture for All for One!

It's REALLY cool to see them all on display like this. And it's not even everything I painted this year. Easily has been one of my most productive paint years ever. Thank you Oath Thread. See you next season!!!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Now that TheFinalTuba has gone home, I can do my own finale.
Oath Complete!

Backstory posted:

All he'd ever seen was conflict. Men fought desperately for the right to die near him, struggling to be the last one to bleed within arm's reach. Hours of pitched battle would see one faction victorious, just for them to be swept off into their darkened holding cells. He, however, got to bask beneath the light; for he was that most blessed of creations: an Objective.

Claiming the Journal and It's a Rescue! For these very old plastic Rhinos from Games Workshop's Epic. (Someone else might be able to know the date they came from, I snagged a bunch off of eBay years back.) Also claiming Backstory for the thrilling tale of an objective marker's life, which also qualifies for I rolled a 6!.

Before/After pics for Spring Cleaning:

Before picture was just after I'd managed to make an extra little paint holder, and cram it into the corner.

I was also a little surprised when I went to my All For One! picture, as it includes only a small fraction of the stuff I actually painted this year. Oath Thread is wonderful at motivation, and I'd sometimes find myself painting 4-5 times as much stuff as I oathed, just as a result of the pace it helped me set.

And with that, I call this Year Complete.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cat Face Joe posted:

Bonus Point (1 Point): - Ashcans

This is basically the theme challenge we all wanted to see.
Thanks a lot! I had a lot of fun with that guy, and he'll probably be a recurring visitor on our tree now. :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Late to the start this month, but I have something to work on!

I, LiquidCommunsim, hereby oath to paint these 4 Games Workshop Ork Slugga Boys for my Shadow War: Armageddon team.

Approved! Good luck, there's not long left :)

wdarkk posted:

Also, can I claim the Giant Monster/Robot thing for a spaceship specifically noted as transporting giant robots to combat zones?

Hmm... is the spaceship itself a robot and/or monster? If not I'd say no, the competition's about big beasties brawling in cities. It'd certainly work as a flyer for the first Jurnal though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved! Good luck, there's not long left :)

They're actually already most of the way done. I may get speed painting out of this one by accident.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Looks like it is. OATH COMPLETE. Painted 'em up to fit in with my old orks, although the colors are a little different because hell if I'm buying Citadel paints.

Start : 28 April 2017 05:33

End : 29 April 2017 03:02

Total elapsed time : 21 hours, 29 minutes.

ACHIEVEMENTS CLAIMED:
Speed Painting!
Kickin' it Old Skool!
#SquadGoals
All for One!

Group shot :

I had to get a couple closeups of this guy, as I think he turned out the best:

And finally, a shot of everything I got done in here this year :

It's not much since I started late, but 2 Heavy Warjacks and 5 soldiers is more than I've painted in the last decade! Looking forward to next year!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

It's the last month, I'll allow this. Which model are you dropping?

One of the two shadow dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Couldn't be arsed to get the lightbox out this month, so plain tabletop pictures.

Airbrush-painted before assembly this time, the kit goes together really solidly - only pins are in the rear feet/tracks attaching it to the base. All other joins are quite snug and/or have massive contact surfaces. Quite nice to finally paint the model I actually got the airbrush for in the first place :-)

• Locked thread