Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of May a Dropzone Commander PHR starter set by Hawk Wargames (plastic, 10mm).

I'm going to claim where are my dragons for the Neptunes, since they're a sci-fi unit that flies and shoots things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Oath complete! Claiming Monster MAYhem, Squad Goals, and the DRAGONS theme!

Squad goals is for all of the scourge this month, there are almost 100 of them painted. We'll start off here with this desolator that I made a clear resin base and flight stand for to represent it's main weapon and I also added a blue and white LED for extra effect.

Next up is a Death Tyrant someone put up on shapeways. I made some clear pink resin that I cast from a mold of a ball bearing to use as the floaty eyeballs. I tried to also cast clear resin for the phantasmal limb stalks that hold those spectral eyeballs in place but hot glue ended up being easier to work with and a lot faster despite it not being as clear as I would like.

For my monsters we'll start with a Reaper dragon...

Then a Lord of the Rings giant vampire thing

and finally a 10mm scale monster called the screamer, shown with some exotic (and larger than average) infantry for scale that I also painted this month. In the second picture it is riding it's dropship.

Then to finish off this month's oath we have a whole bunch of Dropzone Commander stuff

Fukkin nice!
:drat:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Whew, painting an entire starter box and trying new things made this a bit of a challenge. Still, Oath Complete!

If you're wondering how the hell I painted the moonrunes on, I didn't! I took a pdf file to FedEx (formerly Kinkos) and had them print it on transparent adhesive paper. A full sheet of custom decals for 53 cents (including tax)!

I magnetized the vehicles. It was quite a pain, mostly due to the fact that I couldn't figure out a way to get the part of the mechs I needed to drill into to actually lie flat.

Also, I discovered that I subconsciously stole the color scheme from the shoes of someone I know.

Claiming Where are my dragons for sci-fi flying shooting things and #squadgoals for the "it's an entire starter set" bit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Meant to put this up earlier.
I, wdarkk, Oath two Dropzone Commander PHR Helios skimmers for the month of June (10mm, Resin).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath complete!
Kind of a lousy month but eh Oath's done.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I, wdarkk, oath one Dropzone Commander Nemesis Command Walker (Dropzone Commander, 10mm, Resin) for the month of July.

This is my first time using the airbrush "in action" for a model rather than some sort of test object.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jubelio posted:

:siren:Hey Krushgroove:siren:

I sent you my pick for last month's grab bag, just wanted to make sure you got the email.

I think he's just busy, I also sent an email he hasn't replied to yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Doing an oath addition for July: 4 Scourge Monitors (Dropzone Commander, 10mm, white metal, Hawk Wargames)

Claiming speed paint (since I plan to have them done by tonight) and life's a beach since they're piloted by jellyfish.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath Complete!

I'm claiming speed paint and life's a beach for those Monitors (they are driven by jellyfish).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I, wdarkk, oath six bases of Razorworms for August (Hawk Wargames, 10mm, white metal).

These guys aren't really going to get anything special done to them, the real deal will be the oath additions. Exactly what will be added will be decided soon.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 12, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath addition: one Reaver Gunship and one Corruptor Gunship for Dropzone Commander (Hawk, 10mm, Resin)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Its going well this month, so lets try an Oath Addition!

[b]1 Overseer, 2 Intruder Betas, 8 Moniters, 3 Stalkers, 2 Falcon B's and 2 Corruptors/Reavers - magnetized so they can be swapped between loadouts.

Did you magnetize your Overseer? I kind of want to do that for mine once it arrives, but that looks like a large hunk of resin to hold vertically with magnets.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Big Oath Addition since I'm changing up my list for Nova Open. One Overseer, one Despoiler, four bases of Warriors, Three Hunter Main Grav Tanks, all 10mm Hawk Wargames resin or white metal.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I, wdarkk, oath six bases of Razorworms for August (Hawk Wargames, 10mm, white metal).

These guys aren't really going to get anything special done to them, the real deal will be the oath additions. Exactly what will be added will be decided soon.

wdarkk posted:

Oath addition: one Reaver Gunship and one Corruptor Gunship for Dropzone Commander (Hawk, 10mm, Resin)

wdarkk posted:

Big Oath Addition since I'm changing up my list for Nova Open. One Overseer, one Despoiler, four bases of Warriors, Three Hunter Main Grav Tanks, all 10mm Hawk Wargames resin or white metal.

Oath Complete! Phew!

I like the basing I did for these guys. It doesn't really come across well in the photo, but it looks pretty good for how quick it was. I'm trying to simulate the "urban rubble" you see in places like Syria, so I used coarser basing grit, grey paint, and Elmer's glue. For some reason the photo is MUCH browner than the real thing.

These guys didn't come out well for some reason. I think the primer I used might not work very well with metal 10mm minis, so I switched primers for the Warriors (which were done after these guys). The warriors had a lot less "detail obliteration" than these guys did. This was also the first attempt at a basing style like I did for the Warriors, but I didn't use the basing grit. Glue by itself just didn't have enough body after it dried. You might see these guys as a rescue in a couple months since I'm mad about how the detail got obliterated. Don't really want to totally redo them right now, had enough to do this month.

Hunters came out fine, they'll make my old plastic hunters look like crap (not because the resin version is better, but because I learned how to use a wash properly between then and now).

Reaver and Corruptor lookin good. I decided to add some purple to the color scheme since having a big blue surface was kind of meh. I think it works pretty well. I'll try and improve my blending by the time Dropfleet is here, since that there is 2/3 of the color scheme I'll be using.

Desolator. I did some more blending there. Something caused the paint on the lower left wing to be a little weird but I mostly fixed it.

Overseer, the star of the show, even if it's really just there to make everyone else work better. Camera seems to make it look dirtier than it really is.

I'm planning on using it for Dungeons and Dragons as well, as a far-realm monster.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, forgot to post this.

I, wdarkk, Oath one Eden's Dinosaur for Dropzone Commander (Hawk Wargames, Resin, 10mm).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath Complete!
Not as happy with it as I could be, but there was a ton of humidity down here and I've been feeling kind of icky.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My Dropfleet pledge still hasn't showed :(

Oh well.

Oathing 3 Ravagers by Hawk Wargames (Dropzone Commander, 10mm, resin).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Quick and dirty pic, but Oath complete!

It's beautiful. Layering?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath Complete!

Not much of an oath this month, just keeping myself in practice while I wait for Dropfleet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I, wdarkk, Oath for November a PHR starter fleet for Dropfleet Commander. This consists of three cruisers and four frigates. Hard plastic 1:9150 scale by Hawk Wargames.

I'll do the rest of my starter fleets as Oath Additions if the Kickstarter can get here before halfway through the month. Success-cursed kickstarters strike again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

WIP pic. Basecoating is completed for both colors (you can see some of the masking failure there, stupid tamiya tape has too gentle an adhesive).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath Complete

I had a lot of learning experiences with this oath, and it's not quite as good as I'd like, but I still think it's a great color scheme.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

One way or another I'm oathing some Dropfleet stuff next week. Fingers crossed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of December three Scourge cruisers and four Scourge frigates for Dropfleet Commander (Hawk Wargames, plastic, 1:9150).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath Complete

I feel a bit bad about how much better LazyAngel's are.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My pledge is finally here. Time to strap the man pants on.

I, wdarkk, oath a UCM and Shaltari starter set for Dropfleet Commander. A total of eight frigates, six cruisers, and 3 voidgates. Hawk Wargames, plastic, 1:9150 scale.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oath Complete!

With the UCM, a good wash (or really just a decent wash) is cruise control for good-looking. Slapping on wash instantly made everything look better.

I feel like my Shaltari scheme ended up being too dark, but hell with it. I also absolutely do not have the patience to paint the ten million dots on those things. Ugh. Also the first time I worked with glaze medium, so it ended up a little goopy. Still a nice tool in my box when I want, say, red metal or something.

Also, now that this is done, I have starter fleets for all four Dropfleet factions.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Meant to post this last night.
I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of February 4 Scourge Cruisers and 4 Scourge Frigates (Dropfleet Commander, Hard Plastic, 1:9150 scale).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gonna do an Oath Addition of two Scourge light dropships by Hawk Wargames (10mm, resin).

Going for speed painting as well, so see you in 24 hours or less.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Time!

Kind of a lovely picture but I'll post a clearer one with the rest of the oath.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Time!

Kind of a lovely picture but I'll post a clearer one with the rest of the oath.

Oath Complete!

I forgot how hard it is to work with Umber Wash so things are a little browner than I'd like but on the whole it worked pretty well. I feel ready to paint my Battlecruisers and Battleship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It's nice to just set deadlines for myself in a semi-public fashion.

That said, I wdarkk oath for the month of march: two Scourge Battlecruisers (plastic and resin), four Scourge Frigates (plastic), four :siren: converted Scourge Corvette proxies, and sixteen launch asset stands (plastic), all for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames.

With this, I'll have my 1250 point fleet done. After that it's on to Space Stations and other factions.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

It's nice to just set deadlines for myself in a semi-public fashion.

That said, I wdarkk oath for the month of march: two Scourge Battlecruisers (plastic and resin), four Scourge Frigates (plastic), four :siren: converted Scourge Corvette proxies, and sixteen launch asset stands (plastic), all for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames.

With this, I'll have my 1250 point fleet done. After that it's on to Space Stations and other factions.

Oath Complete

The BCs came out a bit shinier than I intended since I had a brand-new can of glosscote rather than a nearly-depleted one, but it's not really a problem.

Since you can build two different BCs and I can't buy any more of the model since it's Kickstarter exclusive, I magnetized them.

Claiming the scratchbuild for these corvette proxies.

Close up of the launch asset tokens.

This is a pic of the current state of my fleet, at the present 1250 point tournament standard. It's exactly the same as the second-place LVO Scourge list, but I was already thinking of going in that direction.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, forgot to post this earlier.

I, wdarkk, oath 3 PHR Cruisers for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames

I wanted to do a lot more but April sucks for me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved! (though the last one really should include American Samoa, gonna have to be less lenient next season!)

That is American Samoa, the black bar I put over stuff just cut off the title bar.

Also, can I claim the Giant Monster/Robot thing for a spaceship specifically noted as transporting giant robots to combat zones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Ugh, forgot to post this earlier.

I, wdarkk, oath 3 PHR Cruisers for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames

I wanted to do a lot more but April sucks for me.

Oath Complete!

Not really feeling it this month. April is usually lovely for me thanks to allergy crap.

Next month should be really good though.

All For One

Busy year!

• Locked thread