Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
To quote Captain Barnacles, "Octonauts, let's DO this!"

I, Ilor, do oath this squad of 28mm WW2 American GIs (manufacturer unknown, they were a rescue)

This is my first oath. I'm so screwed. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, but there's a word for how the rest of us feel now that you've told us: schadenfreude. :downsrim:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OATH COMPLETE!

For this month's Oath, I am also claiming the following achievements:
It's a Rescue! - I got these minis third- or fourth-hand from a friend. They were based on squares of thick card-stock (who the gently caress does that for 28mm minis?), primed (badly), had the faces and hands painted, and had two different colors of green on the pants, both of which were applied thinly and unevenly. Oh, and the original assembler hadn't cleaned off any of the flash, mold lines, or gates. Some gentle caresses with a file and an X-Acto knife and an overnight bath in Super Clean got them ready for some hot Oath action!

#SquadGoals - They are, in fact, a WW2 US infantry squad; An NCO (the guy in the foreground with the Tommy gun and mounted on the larger base), a 3-man BAR team, and an 8-man rifle team. My original Oath photo only showed 10, but I saw at some point that a full squad was 12 so I dug out and Super Cleaned two more (I got a whole box full of them) to round out the unit. Should that have counted as an "Oath Addition" ???

This was my first Oath, thanks for giving me motivation to actually get some stuff painted in a timely fashion!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Drone posted:

Achievements Claimed:
May Technical Challenge: Dragons (it's a Dragon battlemech)
I saw what you did there.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, oath these two Infinity Models (Corvus Belli) - one Hassassin Barid Hacker and one Hassassin Fiday.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ooooh, those are some good-lookin' bugs!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

I am claiming the June Theme Challenge for this guy, 'cause he's just chillin. Pay no attention to the huge knife, he's not threatening in any way. Promise.

And I'm claiming Box Art for this guy. I ain't no Angel Giraldez, but we've all gotta start somewhere, right?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, oath this SdKfz 222 (28mm scale by Warlord Games) for the month of July!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I should probably have my head examined for starting something with only 2 days to go, but it's time for an Oath Addition!!!

I, Ilor, do Oath this homemade oasis terrain for the month of July!

I don't think the required drying time for water effects will allow me to get credit for speed painting, but I've already got the base colors roughed in, as you can see in my WIP photo:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 29, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Another WIP shot:

You can see the boo-boo I had with my Agrellan Earth (pro-tip, it'll also crackle the acrylic texture paste underneat), but mitigation is in progress, as you can see.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
And another WIP photo:

Highlighting on the cracked mud is done, sand is applied, and I'm ready for water effects. Fingers crossed!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath (with addition) complete!

For this Oath, I am claiming:
* theme challenge - because it's an oasis, a beach in the middle of the...well, beach!
* technical challenge - because I actually used water effects!
* work in progress - see photos above!

In addition, this will also be my entry into:
Would July-ke to paint some terrain, My Lord?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, oath one crazy-rear end Kum Motorcycle Trooper for the month of August (28mm, Infinity, Corvus Belli)

Ilor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 17, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ooooh, that Culexus Assassin turned out [u]really[/]u nicely! Bad rear end!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

I am claiming the theme challenge, because what psychotic, shotgun-wielding, cycle-ganger's ride is complete without FLAMES!?!?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Thanks!

Yeah, some of the Infinity minis are just goddamn inspirational sculpts. You know those minis where you look at the bare metal and you know more or less instantly exactly how you want it to look? I cribbed the concept of the hot-rod flames from the Studio mini (mainly because this was really pushing the envelope of my painting abilities and I wanted a decent visual example to use for reference), but I'm super stoked about how he turned out. There's also some subtle stuff on him that doesn't show up very well in the pictures but (as BlackIronHeart and selnaric can attest after seeing him in person this evening) show up nicely on the tabletop. The color variation in the flames is nicer in real life, and in particular I was happy with the way the "razor stubble" effect on his scalp and jaw-line turned out - that's an effect I've never quite gotten to work right before and this time I think I nailed it. Though I think next time I do tattoos I'll mix in just a touch of flesh-tone with the black to give them a more faded look, because this guy looks like he got his ink like yesterday. But he's probably the best mini I've ever done.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LordAba posted:

What is Aetherium? An awesome board/miniatures game.
Can confirm, Aetherium is rad as gently caress.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Grey Hunter posted:

Ain't no Senators son's here.
...and now I know what song's going to be stuck in my head for the next three days...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do Oath another crazy-rear end Kum Motorized Bike Trooper (28mm Infinity by Corvus Belli) and one Picketer (28mm Aetherium by Anvil 8) for the month of September.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ugleb posted:

Assuming that you aren't mostly Google constructs anyway. I can only verify two other people I interact with here in reality.
Same.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So, whoever decided that this month's theme would be yellow? Yeah, gently caress that guy. I'm soaking my poo poo in SuperClean right now because I couldn't get an even enough coat with full coverage without everything looking like thin_your_paints.jpg. Time to crack out the airbrush and be super careful with the black/NMM parts, I guess. Grrrr :argh:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

Yeah, that's right, Punks love Dick...Dick Butt, that is! :downsrim:

quote:

Kevin had searched the quantum noise for hours, and had yet to find any image, icon, or slogan that could adequately express his contempt for the Axiom's iron-fisted attempts to control Aetherium. He was getting desperate - the protest was tomorrow. He couldn't very well show up with an empty sign - all the other Picketers in his Subroutine would laugh. And then, like a bolt from the blue, trolling an old archive from the internets-before, he found it; it was so ridiculous, so absurd, that he knew in an instant it was perfect. He'd show those Axiom assholes something ancient, something irreverent, something...awful. This would be his message to the Axiom - try all you want, but Aetherium would always be free, especially for dick-jokes.

I am obviously claiming:
Technical Challenge for the yellow motorcycle (plus also, gently caress whoever came up with this month's challenge)
Theme Challenge for the motorcycle - it even has black stripes like a school bus!
Backstory for the Aetherium Picketer

I also claim "Master Shitposter" for responding to a dick joke with another dick joke.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Grey Hunter posted:

I the guy on the left wearing rear end-less chaps?

All chaps are rear end-less. If they had an rear end, they'd be called "pants." :P

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Scowny posted:

I'm a firm believer that this thread is great for forcing me to learn new techniques and ways to paint. In this case, it has taught me never paint yellow again.
^^^ This.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, Oath to paint one Space Marine Captain for the month of October!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

I am claiming both Speed Painting and the Journal Technical Challenge for painting a model that's black (both literally and figuratively). Oh, I'm sorry, were you expecting a white Black Templar? What, a brother can't fight heresy too, cracker?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Iceclaw posted:

I am. Do... Do I need to hit the biggest, nastiest looking poster I can find in order to settle in the hierarchy? :ohdear:

It's either that or PM dick pics to Zark the Damned. Your choice.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What is up my awesome homie? :cool::hf::cool: I too am hoping for some RNG love, 'cause I ain't won poo poo yet this Oath season.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, is e-mailing Krushgroove to claim prizes no longer the thing to do? Because I did that and heard naught but crickets. I'm in the US, if it helps.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I just did a couple tea-light explosions myself! They turned out really well, and look great on top 28mm tank hulls with the turrets removed.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Heh. I just started today. But I can't post my Oath pic for some reason. I think my Picasa box is having issues.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, oath one Aetherium Picketer (32mm scale, Anvil 8 Games) for the month of November.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

"Live Free or Die" sign? Check. Cultural appropriation via Day of the Dead get-up? Check. Yoga pants? Check. Pink Chucks? Check. Proletariat-approved red bandana worn babushka style? Check. Fashionable leather purse? Check. Authentic "Holla at my Peeps" tank-top? Check. All right, let's get ready for some protesting, bitches!!!

Claiming both the technical challenge (for the skull on her sign) and the theme challenge (for her Day of the Dead make-up) on this one.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Because I need my head examined for pledging something so close to the holidays...

I, Ilor, do Oath these two Khorne Berserkers (Games Workshop)

These fuckers have been in my painting queue for drat near two decades. And they're not even the oldest minis I have unpainted... :cripes:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

I am also claiming the technical challenge for painting modes that are mostly red.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do oath these two Khorne Berzerkers (GW, 28+mm) and one Axiom Avatar for Aetherium (32mm, Anvil 8) for the month of January!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

I'm claiming the Technical Challenge for all the white on Lady Amelia.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do oath two M4 Sherman Tanks (1/56 Warlord/Italeri)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath complete!

I'm claiming the theme challenge for the jurnal[sic], as these bad boys are straight out of Hollywood greats like "Patton" and "The Big Red One."

• Locked thread