Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Hey, just a heads-up: the Oath Countdown page (https://oath-countdown.appspot.com/) doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Just in case no one's clicked on it yet. I lived by that thing this past season, and I'm sure others did too. Are we just using the World Time Server for now, or will this app be fixed or substituted? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint in the month of May, 1 each of the following (l-r): Orc Archer; Orc Berserker; converted Orc Hunter (Spear); Orc Marauder (Sword & Shield); Rogan, Half-Orc Rogue; Kavorgh, Orc Warboss; converted Warg; and Frost Wyrm! All Reaper Bones, 28mm scale. The wyrm is zenithal primed, all the rest are unprimed (though the rogue is just, like, covered in liquid greenstuff).

As noted above, I've made some minor conversions to the warg and the orc-formerly-with-spear; I've added a collar to the doggie and turned speardude into a crossbowdude.
Before:

After:

Also, many thanks to Deanut Pancer for fixing the time-remaining app! That thing's a lifesaver/stress-reinforcer.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming the theme challenge of fantasy adventurers for this oath; these guys will serve to bulk out my :orks101: Orc All-Stars :orks101: (for Frostgrave or other fantasy skirmish games). You can tell they're a team 'cos they all have a similar shade of bloody red cloth on them somewhere, even the dogge. #SquadGoals
The worm (my entry for Zark the Damned's Monster MAY-HEM!) was originally intended to go onto an additional scenic-style base, but my hot glue gun was on the fritz last night, so I'm just using its standard "base" for the oath. (I'll add in pics of the finished product to this post once it's completed.) (Much appreciation for chipping in to the prize pool, ZtD!)

Achievements claimed: Se7enth Heaven, #SquadGoals.

The full album link is here.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for June: (1) Deadlands Noir Houngan and (1) Sascha Dubois, Time Chaser! Both 28mm from Reaper (the Houngan is metal, Sascha is Bonesium).

Just these for now; the rest of the month will be dedicated to building stuff for next month.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete!

I wanted to go for a more limited palette for these two, mostly focusing on shades of brown and black. They're also meant to fulfill the Relaxed theme challenge; both minis are in relatively non-threatening poses, unless you count a pocket watch or a friendly king snake as a weapon. (Sascha's holstered pistol should be considered largely ceremonial in nature.)

Backstory:

Etienne de Minuit surveyed the ice-choked street, calm but apprehensive. He absently ran a finger down Roi's spine as the king snake curled toward the junction of his neck and hat brim, looking for warmth. There was a sudden clatter on the broken flagstones behind him. Etienne jumped; the snake, lethargic from the cold, did not.

"Relax, boss, it's just me." Sascha dropped down from the second floor of a crumbling building, cursing quietly as her boots skidded on the snow. "I told Rollo and the twins to start searching the old storefronts off the high street. Find anything interesting?"

"Odd that you should ask," Etienne smiled, gently tugging Roi's head out of his shirt collar. "I have peered back to ten centuries past, and found the true name of this city on the lips of its former denizens--Felstad."

"Felstad?" Sascha's eyes widened. "The Felstad? The Lost City of the Mages? The last known whereabouts of--"

"--the Eye of Nyx," they finished together, Sascha giggling a bit in excitement. "And it's still here?"

"Indeed. Vortan the Green never returned from his expedition, nor did any of his party. Their trail evaporates on this very boulevard, some thirty years gone now, and no word of the jewel has yet reached civilization. The chances that the Eye has been retrieved by others are nil; our certainty of finding it is near absolute."

"drat right it is." Sascha clapped her mentor on the shoulder. "So, brave leader, where and when have we found it?"

Etienne gestured with his umbrella. "Yonder chapel holds our prize at present. We will have reached it once we escape the dead men."

"Dead men? What--" Sascha stopped short as a low moan echoed up the street. Rounding the corner were eight ragged corpses, some with dry bits of blackened flesh still clinging to their bones. Their frost-rimed fingerbones clutched their rusted weapons loosely in undeath. Their leader, a tall, withered cadaver, pointed its broken staff in their direction and emitted a hateful shriek as the chill wind flapped its faded green robes.

"Oh." Sascha stiffened. "Vortan's still here, too."

"Oui, and his retinue." If Etienne felt any of his apprentice's fear, he did not show it. Roi, for his part, vanished swiftly up his master's sleeve.

"How do our chances look now, boss?"

"Less certain."

"We should've hired more guys."

"Agreed."

The skeletons advanced, creaking. Crouching low, Sascha muttered a spell of haste and waited for an opening to dash through. As the dead men approached, Etienne stretched out a hand towards them, willing the forces of age and entropy to crumble the earth beneath their feet. His eyes began to glow with focused temporal energy; his voice was steady, but with a hint of urgency. "When I say run," he intoned gravely, "you run."

(Full album is here. In case you were curious, these two are meant to be used as Chronomancers in Frostgrave. Also, the photography is sort of godawful; my previous terrible cellphone camera went all bricky the other day, and these are my first pics with the new phone. The moral of the story: cellphones and toilets do not mix.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint for the month of July (clockwise, starting top left): (2) sets of broken tower/staircase terrain from the Dragons Don't Share kit; (1) Ophidian Gateway; (1) Arcane Ruins; and (1) Garden of Morr!

All 28mm; the two broken tower sets are Reaper Bonesium, everything else is Games Workshop. Nothing primed yet, although some of the pieces are covered in liquid greenstuff and filing marks (that's a greenstuff join on the topmost tower piece).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oath Complete! Apologies for the image spam; I haven't set up a decent large photo station yet:

Not-Stonehenge! I went for a faint purplish tinge to the stone, with faint flecks of gold. Also, you're going to be seeing a lot of the oxidized copper, as I kinda went overboard with it.

For the Ophidian Archway, I went with a quasi-medieval style of painting, plus some salt-and-hairspray weathering to make it look more appropriately ruined. Also featured, approximately half my bottle of GW Nihilakh Oxide.

Red castle, blue castle. For contrast. (I based the red stone on a castle ruin I saw in Scotland about 15 years ago, but can't for the life of me remember the name.)

Two views of the Garden: one without the crypts and one with. The theme of "Doc Goes Nuts With The Weathering Effects" can also be seen in the rust on the fences and gates.

The guardian statue actually has a faint tan coloring in the shadows, but I just could not get that to come out in pictures at all. It's very subtle in person. However, I was pretty satisfied with the marbling effect I did on the plinth.

Obviously this is all for Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?. No theme/technical challenge this month, as I ran out of time due to dealing with a minor flood in the basement. After that, the last thing I wanted to deal with was water effects.*

I hope this sheer quantity of stuff qualifies for an Epic entry; it's kind of a snug fit on a 3' x 3' standard Frostgrave table, yet I feel like it's not claustrophobic enough....

Picture Time! (which I didn't realize was so drat blurry until much later; I set up the shot in a hurry before I lost the living-room daylight)

Whoops--looks like Etienne and Sascha have disturbed Usk, Garvo and Fluffy in their grave-robbing amateur archaeology. How embarrassing!

Rules Lawyer: Crypts of the Dead (Frostgrave)
When a roll for a random monster encounter generates any Undead result (Skeletons, Armored Skeletons, Wraith, etc.), the monster(s) emerge from the Garden's crypts instead of a board edge. If the crypts are separated by more than 6", roll 1D3 to determine which crypt the monster comes from. If the Garden is set up with all 3 crypts within 6" of each other, multiply the number of monsters produced by 1D3. Once on the board, monsters behave as normal.

Full album is here. I might post follow-up pics later, as I'm debating whether or not to apply snow effects before the end-of-season group shot.

* In Soviet Russia, water affects you! :commissar:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I, Dr. Gargunza, oath the following models for August: (1) Boar Demon and (1) Minotaur Demon Lord! Both 28mm Reaper Bones.

The minotaur has been converted slightly with a pair of wings from a GW Daemon Prince. (I thought he'd look more impressive that way.) Here's the "before" pic.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm going to have to declare an Oath Failed; due to a combination of trying to do too many things this month and sucking at most of them. Oh well, at least I'll have a couple of potential whales to save!

Oh, and congratulations to NTRabbit on the terrain prize draw! That was some cool stuff you did last month.

e: goddamn phone posting

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Germ posted:

:ducksiren: July Judgement!!!! In February!!!! :ducksiren:

Whose got two thumbs and is the most tardy judge ever? This guy!

Third Place (1 Point) - Dr. Gargunza Ok, so we all have our own predilections. Like, for instance, if you’re playing Apples to Apples, my family pretty much knows that, if they have the word “tentacle” or anything horror-related, I’m going to pick that card regardless of the clue. In addition to anything vaguely Lovecraftian, I also happen to really like terrain. It turns out that Dr. Gargunza not only painted terrain, but painted a huge chunk of it. And painted it pretty well. That’s worth a point in my book.

Thanks for the vote, Germ! It's been so long since I oathed anything, due to most of last year being a pile of ecchhh; this really helped lift my spirits. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's been a bit borked today for some reason. I noticed it was having some trouble pulling up search results, previous entries, albums, etc., so uploading might also be affected. (Nice timing, imgur.)

• Locked thread