Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

With summer coming up and yard work season in full effect, it might be worth doing a single-month competition that's focussed on terrain, though. If you terrain dudes want to come up with a simple set of rules that will work across all scales of terrain we can get something going. I can toss in a new bag of flock or something (it'll be cheap to post, too!) and I'm sure some other guys will be able to chip in. Rules can be simple as: Anyone who completes an Oath that includes terrain will be entered into a one-time-only prize draw for some stuff donate by goons!

I was planning on sponsoring such a thing already, so....

Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

For the month of July, include some terrain in your oath to get entered into a special prize drawing. Any scale will do, but it should be suitable terrain, not just a scenic objective marker, unit filler, or the like. You can gain multiple entries in the drawing (up to 4 including the original entry) by:

Epic: Painting a "sufficiently epic" amount of terrain. This could be a single large, complicated piece, or a number of smaller pieces that go together. One huge castle. A village. A table's worth of terrain. If you think what you did was epic, say so. If I agree, you'll get a bonus entry.

Picture Time: Take a photo of your terrain being used in a game, or as part of a scene with other miniatures you have painted for another bonus entry.

Rules Lawyer: Write a short set of rules for a terrain feature you oathed. The rules can be for any system, but should allow you to use a piece of terrain you painted in a unique way during a game. Toxic sludge that emits poisonous fumes? Tavern that can distract nearby troops with promises of ale?

The winner of the prize draw will get a selection of resin terrain from Worldsmith Industries. I'll work out with the winner the specifics of what they want, but expect something in the range of $75 worth of terrain. Anything on the we store would be fair game, as would anything I've prototyped but is not yet available for public sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

GoodBee posted:

It looks like you can use them all together as terrain or take off the inserts and use them as objectives, depending on your needs for a particular game. Is that how you can use them?

I generally prefer to play with flat terrain but would like to use better objectives than just empty bases. The area terrain bases look like they're pretty flat without the inserts.

You can use them that way, for sure. I designed them that way mostly because, though 3d terrain looks great on the table, it can get in the way of models. I like being able to temporarily take pieces out so troops can fit in on the (mostly flat) bases, but still look good on the table.

For flat terrain, if you painted a mousepad or equivalent to look like a pond or the like, that would totally count as terrain for the contest!

lilljonas posted:

My hobby side-project, Mura Miniatures, will also add prize support to the July terrain bonanza. If you don't win Garm's prize, you'll get a chance at a runner-up prize:

A gift voucher for your online hobby store of choice, at the value of 20 USD

or

A custom made piece of terrain, made by myself, in whatever scale and theme you want

Note that I'm not really a sci-fi gamer, so I have limited experience with making sci-fi stuff, but I'll give it a shot if you want. :) The rules for qualifying are exactly the same, except that the first prize winner is not eligible for the runner-up draw.

Awesome, thanks so much! July should be a fantastic month for gaming tables.

Germ
May 7, 2013

For the month of July, include some terrain in your oath to get entered into a special prize drawing. Any scale will do, but it should be suitable terrain, not just a scenic objective marker, unit filler, or the like. You can gain multiple entries in the drawing (up to 4 including the original entry) by:

Epic: Painting a "sufficiently epic" amount of terrain. This could be a single large, complicated piece, or a number of smaller pieces that go together. One huge castle. A village. A table's worth of terrain. If you think what you did was epic, say so. If I agree, you'll get a bonus entry.

Picture Time: Take a photo of your terrain being used in a game, or as part of a scene with other miniatures you have painted for another bonus entry.

Rules Lawyer: Write a short set of rules for a terrain feature you oathed. The rules can be for any system, but should allow you to use a piece of terrain you painted in a unique way during a game. Toxic sludge that emits poisonous fumes? Tavern that can distract nearby troops with promises of ale?

The winner of the prize draw will get a $75 of resin terrain from Worldsmith Industries. The winner will get to choose what they want. Anything on the web store would be fair game, as would anything I've prototyped (and posted pictures of in last season’s Oath Thread and the Terrain Megathread) but is not yet available for public sale.

Fun Fact: Worldsmith Industries originally grew out of the SA Oath Thread (Season 5, I think – or maybe 4?). The monthly theme involved painting battle damage, so I made up some wrecked vehicle markers in resin for my 40k Necron army. That sparked the first Kickstarter, and when GW dropped wrecked vehicle markers from their rules with the new edition, I started making terrain. Thanks for the continued inspiration, SA Oath Thread!

Special thanks to Zark the Damned for the awesome image!

Germ
May 7, 2013

I love all of the terrain oaths from last month! I'll collate all of the prize draw entries over the next several days and should have them posted to be double-checked next week. After that... The prize draw!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Holy smokes but it looks like y'all painted a boatload of terrain in July! By my count that's a total of 56 entries into the drawing. Please take a look at the poorly formatted list below and let me know if I missed any entries. I'll leave this up for about a week and then do the drawing.

Entries Name Terrain Epic Picture Rules
1 The Impaler 1 0 0 0
3 tallkidwithglasses 1 1 1 0
1 Scowny 1 0 0 0
3 Lord Hypnostache 1 1 1 0
2 headlor 1 1 0 0
3 Ugleb 1 1 1 0
3 Indolent Bastard 1 1 0 1
2 Grey Hunter 1 1 0 0
3 Red Shoe 1 1 1 0
4 Dr. Gargunza 1 1 1 1
3 GoodBee 1 1 1 0
4 Nichol 1 1 1 1
4 NTRabbit 1 1 1 1
2 moths 1 1 0 0
1 Pash 1 0 0 0
2 jubelio 1 1 0 0
1 enri 1 0 0 0
3 JerryLee 1 0 1 1
1 Ilor 1 0 0 0
2 Lord _Hambrose 1 1 0 0
2 LordAba 1 0 0 1
4 Zark the Damned 1 1 1 1
1 Electric Hobo 1 0 0 0
1 nesbit37 1 0 0 0
1 Loxbourne 1 0 0 0
1 head58 1 0 0 0

Germ fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 11, 2016

Germ
May 7, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have four 1s but a total of 3?

My mistake - I've corrected it. I ended up not giving you picture time, as your picture was just the oath photo, and not a staged diorama or a photo of the terrain being used in a game.

Germ
May 7, 2013

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Sorry to be a bother but I included battle reports, cross posted from the historical thread. I didn't bold it though, my bad.

Not a bother at all, that's why I'm checking! Fixed!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

My hotel complex is 13" tall and about 20" across, is that big enough to count as epic?

That's admittedly pretty drat epic. Updated!

Germ
May 7, 2013

And, the random number generator says that the winner of the Terrain Prize draw is ....

NTRabbit!

Goon NTRabbit, please let me know what you'd like, and where you'd like me to send it. Either drop me a PM or shoot me an email at worldsmithindustries@gmail.com . You're welcome to select up to $75 in terrain from http://worldsmithindustries.com/ or from the new stuff I'm working on, which you can find in this kickstarter preview link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/164386443?token=3bfb28ea The kickstarter should be live later this week, but whatever you'd like, I'm happy to cast up and send it your way beforehand.

Thanks a million to everyone who oathed terrain!

And, of course, if you're in the market for some MORE terrain, feel free to check out my latest set of terrain, coming soon to a Kickstarter near you!

Germ
May 7, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

:woop: CHICKEN DINNER! :woop:

I've been eyeing off some of your area terrain since the last KS, I'll do some calculations and email you about it soon.

Thanks for running the comp!

Cheers! Don't sweat if it's in stock in the store or not. I'm due some casting, anyhow.

Germ
May 7, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Thanks Germ, I will enjoy it! Thanks for sponsoring the competition, and thanks Oath Thread :peanut:

Yea! Glad to hear it arrived. Now Oath it and get it painted, you layabout!

INSERT OBLIGATORY PLUG ABOUT HERE

Speaking of which.... Only about. Two weeks left! Get your goon-made resin goodness on Kickstarter while the getting is good!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-wargaming-scenery-and-terrain-ancient-ruins

Germ
May 7, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

However, I'll be taking over the management of putting together the monthly Judge galleries - I intend to set up some sort of image hosting account and getting on with the ones for this Season over the weekend.

Great! I feel like I've been the laziest Judge ever this season. I'm looking forward to taking another look at everything!

Germ
May 7, 2013

:ducksiren: May Judgement :ducksiren:

Well, so it turns out that I may be the worst, most tardy judge of all Oath Threadom. Apologies for that! With that said, it’s judgement time!

Third Place (1 Point) Lazy Angel : I’m really wishing for some more angles (and better lit photos) of this, as I have a suspicion that the painting is pretty incredible. From what I can see, it’s a dwarf riding on the back of an armoured war-sparrow, which I like to imagine is a hatchling Roc. The subject is delightful, and the painting is top-notch. In my book, that’s worth a point!

Second Place (2 Points) Nesbit37 – So, I was going to give it to you on the basis of the ship with the glowing death ray, then I kept going and kept seeing more. Then I saw the … cotton candy beholder? I don’t know what that is. But whatever it is, it compels me to reward you with points. The orange and blue on the ships makes for a great contrast, particularly with that well-blended orange. Using brown as the base coat to set it off makes it pop even more. Glowing blue stuff? Even better. Excellent color choice and great execution. Also, that … thing.

First Place (3 Points) – Red Shoe – Holy poo poo, man… are you getting … better? Is that possible? I mean, seriously, how much better can you get? Aren’t you going to hit some point where you start breaking some of the laws of thermodynamics? Smooth-as-silk blending. Gorgeous color choice. An attention to detail that made me select a brown loving pouch as something worth highlighting. Well done!

Bonus Point (1 Point) Moths – I was really digging the old-skool Dark Elves, and then I saw those harpies. You tickled my nostalgia button while putting out a big chunk of well-painted minis. I love that you kept things cartoony (as befits that era of GW) while letting your color palette go dark and gloomy. Well done!

Germ
May 7, 2013

:vomarine: June Judgement :vomarine:

Third Place (1 Point) Galaga Galaxian – A nice, simple color scheme, well-executed is a big part of what makes a cohesive team/gang/army. You’ve pulled that off well here, with solid techniqye that highlights, but doesn’t overpower the models. I particularly like the shading and highlighting on this fellow’s face. Shades of Kevin Dallimore.

Second Place (2 Points) – Bucnasti – I’m loving the paint on that treeman. That’s a lot of color in what could be an otherwise dull model. I’m particulalrly fond of the green you worked into the stone of the base. The eyes of that otherwise well-painted monk almost did you in (gods, but the things he has seen!) but the eyes of the treeman make up for it by far.

First Place (3 Points) - TheFinalTuba – Hey goon, nice cock. Your color selection and execution perfectly captures the fun and unpredictability of the Gremlins. Bold color choices and a sense of humor that shows off the models. That’s some drat fine brushwork. Seriously, though… I really like all of your cocks.

Bonus Point (1 Point) – Master Slowpoke – The photos aren’t all the best, but I’m really liking this assassin. You worked the proper amount of blue into the highlights on the black, but mostly I just love all of the contrasting metals. The silver and brass are varied, and add a lot of visual interest to what could be an otherwise dull model. Plus, you nailed the levels of the green liquid in the vials.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I can do it. Not oathing this season, but no pm's. Sansvoir at gmail.com

Yea! Join me I need raining (belated) firey judgement onto the heads of unsuspecting goons!

Germ
May 7, 2013

:ducksiren: July Judgement!!!! In February!!!! :ducksiren:

Whose got two thumbs and is the most tardy judge ever? This guy!

Third Place (1 Point) - Dr. Gargunza Ok, so we all have our own predilections. Like, for instance, if you’re playing Apples to Apples, my family pretty much knows that, if they have the word “tentacle” or anything horror-related, I’m going to pick that card regardless of the clue. In addition to anything vaguely Lovecraftian, I also happen to really like terrain. It turns out that Dr. Gargunza not only painted terrain, but painted a huge chunk of it. And painted it pretty well. That’s worth a point in my book.

Second Place (2 Points) – MasterSlowPoke Another personal bias here. I love blue and gold Tomb Kings. It reminds me back when I was a wee goon and first saw Sean Lukey’s Tomb Kings at a GT in Texas. It had a color palette that just popped off the board. That army is what inspired me to be more thoughtful about my painting, and led me down the path of extreme highlighting. These models are great. The blue and the gold go together so well, and the brightness of the blue adds tons of visual interest – I can’t look away! Wonderful colors, and solid execution. Well done!

First Place (3 Points) – Moths Having painted my fair share of rust-encrusted metals, I know that the difficulty in painting good rust is not the color or the texture. Stippling browns, black, and orange goes a long way. Instead, the trick is in how to place it convincingly. I ignored that by just slopping it anywhere. Moths, on the other hand, nailed it with these models. The overall painting is solid, but he really hit the chipped battleship-grey paint with corroding metal beneath. Also, the strong highlighting on the acid green is great – it gives the impression of an over-heating warp-fueled soul-forge. Finally, the warmth of the rust and the brightness of the green just does it for me. A great contrast within a limited color palette that screams CRYX!!!!

Bonus Point (1 Point) – Zark the Damned My ethics oversight committee wouldn’t let me give Zark the Damned Third Place, because of a potential conflict of interest. drat them! But the bonus point is mine to give out as I see fit, and Zark did an incredible job with a large amount of terrain. Fantastic work! Plus, Cthulhu! Which reminds me that I really need to find an excuse to paint mine sometime.

Germ fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2017

Germ
May 7, 2013

:ducksiren: August Judgement!!!! In February!!!! :ducksiren:

Who still has two thumbs and is the most tardy judge ever? This guy!

Third Place (1 Point) – Electric Hobo The characters are neat, but I’m really quite smitten with this Aztecish fire-giant model. The flames and glowing runes on the sword exude heat, and I really appreciate it when folks shade flames the proper way (light at the source to dark at the tips. The contrast of the dark skin and glowing runes are fantastic. The red eyes make for a great focal point. Overall, it’s just a smooth, well-done paint job.

Second Place (2 Points) – Schmetterling Another great example of flames, taken out to an extreme level of brightness and contrast. Add to it the dark metal and that bright, vivid blue, and you’ve got a real eye-catcher. These are dynamic, exciting models and the paint job serves to accentuate it. Great work!

First Place (3 Points) – Red Shoe Well, hello gorgeous! I’ve always loved the look of this model, and this has to be the best version of it I’ve ever seen. The blending and highlighting are fantastic, and are most noticeable on the skin. I love the choice of using a warm tone for the rock – it sets off the coolness of the skin exceptionally well. Red Shoe is always gangbusters, but this really hits it out of the park. Of course, the Infinity models are likewise incredible; with smooth-as-silk blending that baffles the mind, particularly on such tiny models.

Bonus Point (1 Point) – Ugleb I love the bright, clean paintjob, the crisp lettering, and the fact that the godsdamned thing is an MDF ambulance. This is a solid piece of work!

EDIT: Corrected the images!

Germ fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

:ducksiren: September Judgement!!!! In February!!!! :ducksiren:

Who for three judgements in a row, continuously has two thumbs and is the most tardy judge ever? This guy!

Third Place (1 Point) – Arson Fire I’m really feeling some not-backing-this-Kickstarter regret after seeing what you’ve done with these models. I love that you went with subtle, pale colors. The greens, bones, and purplish hues blend together into one nauseating though hauntingly beautiful mess. Very tastefully done!

Second Place (2 Points) – SRM I’m really loving these scouts. Each one seems an individual (be it through weapons, skin tone, or details), yet they all fit together perfectly as a squad. You can really imagine the banter that must go on as they’re trudging through the jungle to their extraction point. While models go a long way toward creating such a narrative, a good paintjob is what really brings it alive. You’ve also carried it through to the basing – plenty of variety, but enough cohesion across models so that they still feel like a squad. A squad of individuals, but a squad. Plus, who can ever say no to hazard stripes on a chainsword?

First Place (3 Points) – Signal Infinity models are such unforgiving things to work with. All of that fine detail makes it too hard to highlight and shade, unless you’re just putting a wash over everything. Not so with what Signal’s done here. The highlights are thoughtfully applied, and makes all of that classic Covus Belli detail just sing. The clear bases were a wonderful touch. The freehand tartan is likewise great. Nice work!

Bonus Point (1 Point) – TheFinalTuba What the hell? Was this paint Infinity models with kilts really well month, or what? I love your skin tones and, most of all, your eyebrows. It might sound silly, but most folks neglect the eyebrows and yours are spot-on.

• Locked thread