Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PierreTheMime posted:

Alright, that's it. I'm getting back in on this. I've been lazy and complacent and this will get me back into the spirit of things. I'll post an oath later on today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow).

Likewise, I'm back in too :cool::hf::v:

...now I just need to find something I want to paint for this month :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

lilljonas posted:

Nice to see some other veteran oathers coming back. I'll going to make an oath too, I just need to check if I can find a dragon or a monster or something in my closet.

This avatar is one that I won in the first oath thread, yay :D

Ok here goes...

I, enri, hereby oath to paint 4 frostgrave cultists

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

My proposal for new Oath avatars is for every month to offer one or two avatars to Oathers who complete their Oaths (and have opted in to get an avatar, because many people like their avatars), and for an avatartist (see what I did there?) to give them an Oathkeeper avatar. This could be Pierre (whose avatars you can see in this very thread), SRM (he of Dawn of Awesome fame), grassy gnoll or anyone else handy with Photoshop and armed with a... <snip>

I can get behind this, my current avatar was from the original oath thread, though I can't remember who the artist was (give me a break, it was like 6 years ago!)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

OATH COMPLETE!

Ok, so this has been a lovely month.. I only oathed 4 minis, I got a good start on getting them undercoated and some base coats done early on, but *sob story time*, the company I was working for went into liquidation leaving me sans job, so the latter half of the month I've had to focus my energies in other places and these guys have had the dirtiest of 'quick' paint jobs :smith:

The good news is, I have a new job lined up and ready to go again for June.. phew. :unsmith:

So... I'd like to claim:

- WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?! (theme challenge)
- #SquadGoals
- Se7enth Hea...
oh wait, you said I don't actually need to claim this one because it's automatic, yay!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I, enri, hereby oath to paint a savage orc archer and an imp (old GW familiar) to add to the frostgrave warband

I may add more, will take this month easy whilst I ease myself into a new job and all that jazz.

Hoping the familiar is 'at rest' enough... or that Mr Orc is flashing enough of the green stuff to count for this months challenge

Nichol posted:

This is a stretch. If my area looked this sorted after spring cleaning I would be proud.

Agreed, I can see the desk! That's too clean for my liking ;)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

GoodBee posted:

I've got a question about the July terrain challenge. I'm thinking about building a couple of small terrain pieces using balsa wood and maybe a small pond using water effects. I don't quite have a plan yet and I'm wondering at what stage should I oath it? I'm thinking parts of it will be painted before I build the rest. Should I do WIP pics on that to be safe? The other idea I might go with is some area terrain on mouse pad material.

I'm kinda hoping stuff that's built but not yet painted is going to be ok, it's a good question. I've got a few bits built that I'm holding off undercoating because I'm saving them for July, but if it has to be built in the same month... well that's a different story, it takes me months to start and finish a piece of terrain :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

enri posted:

I, enri, hereby oath to paint a savage orc archer and an imp (old GW familiar) to add to the frostgrave warband

I may add more, will take this month easy whilst I ease myself into a new job and all that jazz.

Oath complete!

Cutting it fine, only got these two finished tonight (and only got started on them last night), no bonus points this month other than:

- Summer’s here! Time to relax...

Quick question on July's theme challenge, can an entry for It's a Rescue! count towards the challenge? I have some guild ball fishermen guys that have been languishing on my desk for the best part of 10 months waiting to get finished off, they're kinda sea themed :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: ENRI!

Yay me! However, I am swimming in brushes, quite literally (I have 3 full pots of brushes that all see use!); that and I'm still using the springer-pinsel brushes I won in one of the previous oath years.... can I donate them to this fellow instead who I think would get more use out of them?

Electric Hobo posted:

Just keep oathing! I'm personally still waiting for the RNG to award me some brushes.

:)

Germ posted:

Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?

This is awesome, thank you for running this, I've been holding out on undercoating some terrain for this specially :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I, enri, hereby oath to paint... 1 Warmachine Cygnar Lancer, 10 stands of 6mm evil robot not-necrons and 2 pieces of ruined terrain (the colour on which is textured paint, which has since been undercoated - any issues with these, let me know and I'll show a progress pic)

I definitely need to add something later in the month, I've got nothing I can do this month's challenge with at the moment.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Oath Addition!

Because this is the only way I can get that pesky bonus point, THIS IS A RESCUE!.. Sakana, from Guild Ball's Fishermen Team... hopefully he triggers the 'somehow related to water' clause of the technical challenge for the month!

He's half finished because I was losing interest in the fishermen team and had picked up Butchers just before I got hold of him, he got half painted and left to gather dust whilst I dived into the butchers with both feet. It's about time he gets finished off.

His skin is done and his blue-y turquoise armour bits are done, beyond that he's got some base colours on his trousers and that's it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

OATH COMPLETE!

By the skin of my teeth, I'm on holiday from tomorrow so had to blitz the last few bits tonight.

I'd like to claim... er...

- this is a rescue! for sakana, of the fishermen's guild (guild ball team)
- would july-ke to paint some terrian, my lord? for er.. the terrain
- life's a beach with Sakana... who is a fisherman! and is riddled with nets, rigging and various fish hooks.. and plays for the fishermen's guild (theme challenge, not technical!)

Cygnar Lancer

Sakana, Fishermen's Guild

Epic scale necrons

Terrain

enri
Dec 16, 2003

SRM posted:

It's necessary if you want to get an army out. To a certain point it's totally worth it. Batches of 5 or 10 guys are definitely doable. Earlier this month I did a batch of 20 Empire Crossbowmen and I wanted to slit my wrists though, that was the worst.

I batch paint for 4-5 different systems / armies at a time, all the benefits of batch painting without the soul crushing repetitiveness of batch painting. Naturally, it still means it takes forever to get an army painted up.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I, enri, hereby oath to paint... TRUFFLES! Guild Ball Butchers Mascot

There'll be more to oath later in the month, I just haven't gotten around to making the bastarding things yet.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Oath Addition!

1 epic scale Necron Destroyer Lord

I was going to make some objective markers for the sake of the technical challenge, but decided I'd just throw this little chap together instead.

I might have also nailed the speed painting achievement with this, but I'll save that photo for the oath complete post :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

OATH COMPLETE!

I'd like to claim...

- Speed painting!
- Feeling hot! hot! hot! it’s the hottest time of the year!

Truffles

6mm Necron Destroyer Lord

Close up of OSL for the technical challenge

Speed painting before / after

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Red Shoe posted:

Oath Complete!

I love this model to bits, love seeing it done well; good job :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I should probably get off my backside and oath something sooner rather than later, the whole 'paint something yellow' is leaving new cooks though so still not sure what.

It may end up just being a single epic scale land raider at this point in time :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I, enri, hereby oath to paint... a single epic scale land raider (of the imperial fists chapter, out of necessity)

I've really struggled to find anything I wanted to paint this month, especially something in yellow, so this is the oath thread equivalent of 'phoning it in' I'm afraid :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Oath Bodged Complete!

I abso-blody-lutely hate painting yellow, this month left me feeling cold and lacking enthusiasm, so I totally accept that this is phoning it in. Lessons learned: even a grey undercoat is not a fantastic starter for a yellow base, even with the old citadel foundation paints (3 bloody coats it took!) - and then highlighting was a total poo poo, couldn't get a clean coat of yellow on the top and it looks messy as bloody hell. I hate it.

So thank you oath thread for reminding me to not start anything yellow for a long while yet.

Claiming
- the monthly challenge thingy for the sake of completeness

Dear October, please don't have a horrible technical / theme challenge thingy.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Generic terrible question:

quote:

theme challenge: paint any type of scary monster, in any style you like! This can be something like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Alien, Cloverfield, a large doll, whatever!

any scary monster? so not specifically tied to a particular horror convention? i.e. is a big zombie troll enough to tick this box? or say... some genestealer hybrids? :) just want to get a feel for the 'scary' part, basically is 'anything not nice' a good enough marker to aim for?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Anything monstrous or scary really, the theme challenges are deliberately open to allow for your imagination. Zombie Trolls and Genestealers are fine. A Hybrid could easily be 'a man in a rubber suit' for a costume party or B-Movie :D.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification :)

Time to go put that order in...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I, enri, hereby oath to paint the following:

1 x Genestealer Hybrid Acolyte Iconward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

Time for prizes!

And now the GRAB BAG prize!
The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: ENRI!

Forgot to quote this in my oath post, I've emailed KG just now but realised I hadn't gotten around to emailing him re: the brushes from a previous month, I mentioned I'm happy for you to have them in my place as I'm suffering extreme brush overload, assuming you still want them :)

• Locked thread