Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Let's get this show on the road! I, JerryLee, oath to paint for May this Male Storm Giant by Reaper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oath complete!

I'm pretty happy with the way the skin on this guy ended up coming out. Not so happy with the skirt and pteruges, at least from the front, but the model has reached the point at which I end up saying :effort: and calling it done so I can move on.

Challenge is the fact that he's obviously from a fantasy setting, wearing ye olde armor and wielding ye olde sword.

Also claiming Monster May-hem! for his status as a giant, and claiming an additional entry for the following scene I threw together with some of my Dragons Don't Share minis, showing off his physical presence relative to human-sized adventurers!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint ten Kings of War zombies, by Mantic, for June

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

So I actually took my Oath Complete picture several days ago but have been dragging my feet on actually posting it. I should probably fix that.

OATH COMPLETE!

Challenge - These zombies have been stripped to the waist and are ready to show off their lovely rotting flesh. I might think twice about actually taking them to the beach-- neither the baking hot sun or pounding surf play well with rotting corpses, generally-- but they're certainly dressed for it.

#SquadGoals - might as well claim this just in case I don't get another good chance.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

For starters I, JerryLee, oath to paint this ruined tower base by Reaper

You may be able to see a few traces of paint from a paint test that I wasn't able to strip/scrape off. I'll be painting over these.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JerryLee posted:

For starters I, JerryLee, oath to paint this ruined tower base by Reaper

You may be able to see a few traces of paint from a paint test that I wasn't able to strip/scrape off. I'll be painting over these.

Oath Addition! I further oath to paint this Dungeon Saga well, by Mantic, and this Nekharu Torturer, by Crocodile Games!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE!

During the decades-long wars of sorcery that devastated the land in past ages, it was common practice to establish wells inside fortifications at or below ground level. The well itself would give troops a source of fresh water during siege, but when properly enchanted, it would also yield a convenient scrying pool for the army's support mages. At first, some casters also attempted to lure friendly water elementals to their wells, but this practice quickly fell out of favor as it tended to interfere with drinking from the well.

A magic-using unit that ends its turn within controlling distance of one of these wells may peer into the well, granting +1 to the result of any die roll of its owner's choosing for the rest of the game. Multiple players can use this ability should control of the well change hands, but each player can only benefit from this bonus once per game, regardless of how many magic users they bring to the well. (Amend this as necessary to make sense for the game system in question.)

Note: the practice of lashing the water's surface with a whip in order to command the well to give up its secrets-- known as the "Xerzes Method" in some ancient books, for reasons unclear-- is only one possible approach, and those without whips are free to draw on the well's powers also.

Aerial shot showing the water surface I painted.

Closeup of my vulture man.

Some in progress pictures of the tower ruin:

Basecoated

Washed in black ink

First layer of sponging done, a couple more lighter shades yet to come

Claiming the Challenge for the well with water
Backstory for the blurb I wrote above
WIP Photos
Box Art if possible-- I tried to copy the manufacturer's store picture; you be the judge how well I succeeded

Oh, and I can't forget Germ's terrain contest! Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord? Why yes, don't mind if I do...

I'm claiming 3 entries into the draw:
1 entry for doing it at all, obviously
1 entry for Picture Time for the scene I arranged with my other pieces for this month
1 entry for Rules Lawyer for the rules option in my blurb at the beginning of this post

Whew! I think that's all!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Clarification on the challenge, can we paint a source of glowing heat (fire, molten metal, etc.) even if we don't do proper OSL?

The oath thread is usually super chill and cool about stuff like this but I figure it doesn't hurt to make sure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath for August: Four Abyssals and one Efreet, for Mantic's Dungeon Saga boardgame

I think everything is legible, but let me know if there's a problem, obvs

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH SHAMEFULLY COMPLETE

This is probably the least proud I've been of an oath job since I started, and it's not gonna win any prizes, but it wouldn't win any more prizes if I burned the midnight oil to add more touchups and detailing so I'm just going to put it in the books as done, which I think it justifiably is. I really overestimated both my creative time and my enthusiasm for these models. I'll have to work on doing better for that.

Challenge is the flamingly obvious (:downsrim:) fire on two of the models.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Frostgrave gnoll by North Star / Osprey Games

Trying one small model this month to hopefully get it done to a decent quality without burning out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oath Complete

My strategy of scaling my expectations way back this month paid off, I think. I only got one mini done but I'm very happy with it, compared to last month where I shat out 5 of them in mediocre (even for me) condition.

Challenge is the fact that it's a bright yellow tunic on a slightly more golden-brown-yellow gnoll. Xzibit, eat your heart out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath this hellhound, made by Mantic for Dungeon Saga

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oath complete

Challenge for the shaded and highlighted black.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint another Frostgrave gnoll by North Star Miniatures/Osprey Games

("another" in the sense that I did one in a previous month, not this month)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Challenge is the Day of the Dead-inspired facepaint (and complementing clothing color).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Friar Stone miniature, by Reaper

The differently colored portion is a Santa-style hat I greenstuffed on. No paint has been applied.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Aside from the weapon shaft, which returned to its too-bendy state after a hot/cold water treatment and which I probably should have just replaced, and the metal which is still too bright and shiny for me, I'm decently happy with both this model and the job I ended up doing on it.

The challenge needs no words of explanation, hopefully.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath a Beastman Warrior by Reaper

Shaky as hell photo but everything should be legible, I think

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oath complete

For the Challenge, I made this goatperson so white that he probably listens to N*Sync between raids.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint yet another Frostgrave Gnoll

This is by North Star Figures for Frostgrave, which is made by Osprey Games

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

What is this, a crossover episode?! No, it's just me doing the Challenge by giving this gnoll the fur and clothing colors of Mr. Peanutbutter, of Bojack Horseman fame. I even picked a torso with a V-neck (though you can't see it very well) and a head with tongue hanging out. :woof:

Not that happy with the picture, but I don't really have time to take a better one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Zombie Troll for March 2017

This is a model by Mantic for their Dungeon Saga boardgame.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Challenge: Who says undeath and new life have to be mutually exclusive? This deceased troll may be shambling around the battlefield under the power of necromantic energy, but the new greenery spreading on his gravedirt-caked form is pure old-fashioned nature.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Question, could I satisfy this month's challenge by using some of the oldest paints in my collection? I still have some of the paint pots from my very first GW starter kit years ago. I'd be willing to take pictures of the paints and post them with my oath, and all. :)

Not sure this is what I'd do, but it's an idea I had!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oh, nice, I knew there was a reason I kept participating in these threads. :v:

Iris of Ether, can you please remind me of how to contact you?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

Please be aware Iris hasn't posted for over a year now and most likely doesn't check the forums :(
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=84825

I don't have plat and can't see that link :(

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

That sounds perfectly in the spirit of the challenge! Take pics of the paints you use ;)

All right! I, JerryLee, oath to paint yet another Frostgrave Gnoll by North Star / Osprey Games

To paint this one of my newest minis, I'll be using some of my oldest paints:

The left three were in the very first painting starter set I bought back in... must've been 2012? (Yeah, I'm way newer to this hobby than some of you.) The Tallarn Flesh I bought shortly thereafter. Ahh, the days when I was still stupid enough to give GW money.

I'm not going to use only these paints, of course, but they will form the majority of the base colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oath Complete

For the Challenge I followed through with my original plan of using my oldest (and gummiest, as it turned out) paints for the base colors. Pictures of the paint pots are in my original oath post. I used the brown for the fur, blue for the clothing, "flesh" for the spear shaft, and gold for the metal bits. Of course, I supplemented it with other paints for the base, some other details, and the highlighting.

No group picture this season as I can't be arsed.

• Locked thread