Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DLAO posted:

My husband is an alcoholic, drug addict, and has been in trouble with the law quite a few times. He has a good job, but mine is better. We bought a house last year. When we met, he had a crappy job, no license, too many court fees, and no car. Since then, we've paid off all the fees, gotten his license back, a car, etc.

He doesn't want to divorce me. He wants me to be fine with him disappearing in drunken, drugged out binges for days at a time, not answering any calls/texts and then just returning. No apologies, no explanations.

Well, I am not. I am not a drug addict. I don't drink. I've never been in trouble with the law. Everything is under MY name, though, both cars, the house, etc because I have good credit and his is poo poo.

He said that if I try to divorce him, he's going to take everything I have. Is that possible? We've been married for almost 3 years now. I understand they say that marriage is hardest in the first 5-6 years.

So, divorcees out there. Have you divorced someone? What was the process? Has anyone divorced a POS that doesn't WANT to stop being a POS but also doesn't want to be divorced so they can continue to suck the life and money out of you?

I haven't been divorced but have seen family members go through it with drugs/alcohol situations, so here's my quick $.02

- As someone else mentioned, figure out WHY you married this guy in the first place. He had terrible credit, terrible background history (that you KNEW about before marriage) and is all-around a lovely human being. People are attracted to others for a reason, time to see a therapist to figure out why before it happens again.

- Document everything - fines paid, assisting with getting him his license back, proof that he hasn't (and probably won't) learn his lesson because he keeps making retarded life choices.

- See point above - if you've got proof of all his failings and indiscretions, that'll help you in the long run. Highly unlikely he'd be able to "take everything" with his past history, especially when any reckless/criminal behavior will be on record with authorities.

Doesn't matter if he wants to divorce you or not, if you feel that your life or lifestyle are somehow in danger because he's a careless idiot, you have every right to divorce and kick him to the curb. The judge makes the final decision, NOT your husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread