Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Railtus posted:

Second, a drug addiction, while an illness and a problem, is his responsibility to at least take action about. If he was actively seeking treatment, then there would be a case for it. However, if he clearly has no intention of fixing anything, then staying with him would be enabling his destructive behaviour and addictions. Sometimes stepping away is the kindest and most helpful thing you can do.

This is sort of half-true. Even if someone seeks treatment, it isn't necessarily going to work unless the person in question feels like they can succeed with it and has the motivation (which is something they only have limited control over), so I don't think that an addict that isn't currently trying to quit is necessarily a bad person. That being said, as an addict myself I can't even imagine trying to be involved with someone else and, largely due to my experience actually being one, I would never date an addict. I don't think it's really possible for someone to advance other aspects of their life while addicted; it just exacts too much of a heavy toll on you in terms of both physical and mental stress and trauma (note: this doesn't necessarily apply to maintenance therapy, like people on suboxone/methadone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread