Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
That post was from before the AMD 3600 released, which I think is pretty much the best value CPU. But in general I would say don't buy anything that's only 4 cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Spiderdrake posted:

If you're in GTA, Canada Computers has this for $110.

Also the Sapphire Pulse is generally rated better than the gigabyte OC 5700XT it is just usually more expensive. Here it's $530 at mike's or vuugo or whatever. And I think the 1TB HP 920 is a little less on the nvme front.

You're buying nearly the identical computer I am, it's eerie! Also if the DRP4 isn't a good cooler I don't know how, just taking it out of the box, it's beautiful and beefy.

Oh sweet, yeah I'm in Hamilton and ultimately I'll probably buy everything from Canada Computers unless it's way more expensive that way. Are you near here? We should probably meet up and rub our computers together.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

prom candy posted:

Oh sweet, yeah I'm in Hamilton and ultimately I'll probably buy everything from Canada Computers unless it's way more expensive that way. Are you near here? We should probably meet up and rub our computers together.
Milton. The worst spot in the GTA for buying computers! At least we have a CC now.

Note that Mike's (just opened a hamilton location recently) which is near you will price match CC near you, with a supposed 10% discount on top, though I think they try to weasel out of it a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can anybody tell me what ray tracing is and if I as a humble 1080p gamer should care about it?

I just saw this post on Reddit and was confused. It suggests waiting for the next series of nVidia cards for the game I want a new comp for, Bloodlines 2.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vtmb/comments/dtf8zp/bloodlines_2_ray_tracing_and_black_friday_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you like running everything on ultra and making sure everything looks super pretty and nice, then yes, you should care about ray tracing if your game supports it (in my opinion).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anybody tell me what ray tracing is and if I as a humble 1080p gamer should care about it?

I just saw this post on Reddit and was confused. It suggests waiting for the next series of nVidia cards for the game I want a new comp for, Bloodlines 2.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vtmb/comments/dtf8zp/bloodlines_2_ray_tracing_and_black_friday_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

The problem with waiting - and I present this information with an entire container of salt, since the only source is the oft-wrong/prone to exaggeration and lying WCCFTech - for the next gen is that ~supposedly~ nVidia is delaying the release of them to the end of 2020 and possibly into the first two quarters of 2021. The only thing they'll supposedly put out between now and then will be (again, supposedly) the 2080Ti Super, at the same MSRP as the original 2080Ti.

You'd probably be pretty okay with a 2060 Super or non-Super 2070, *especially* at 1080p. The latter might be getting a decent price cut soon, again, per sketchy and possibly untrue information.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The problem with waiting - and I present this information with an entire container of salt, since the only source is the oft-wrong/prone to exaggeration and lying WCCFTech - for the next gen is that ~supposedly~ nVidia is delaying the release of them to the end of 2020 and possibly into the first two quarters of 2021. The only thing they'll supposedly put out between now and then will be (again, supposedly) the 2080Ti Super, at the same MSRP as the original 2080Ti.

You'd probably be pretty okay with a 2060 Super or non-Super 2070, *especially* at 1080p. The latter might be getting a decent price cut soon, again, per sketchy and possibly untrue information.

People in here were suggesting a 1660 TI or Super and they s em to be capable of this ray tracing thing. Plus cheaper and with only slightly worse performance from the review video I just watched.

Thanks for the info, though. I'll just keep an eye out then since I have to save up some more money anyhow.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reposting for the new page:
Hi thread, I am working on building my new PC.

• What country are you in? I am in the US
  • What are you using the system for? I am building this system for gaming
  • What's your budget? I only need the tower. I already have a brand new 1tb M.2 SSD, I will re-use my currently in-use 256 SSD, and also bring along my 2tb storage drive. I would like to spend around $1,500.00. I'm inclined to go Intel and I understand that Intels are more expensive. I want to have 16g's of RAM.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? n/a
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I have two Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H, Full HD 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz (I think that answers this question?)

A friend suggested I look at an Intel i7s but the OP's SA Performance Gamer suggests an i5. If I want to be able to run Warhammer Total War 2 (or eventually Total Warhmmer 3, which we do not know the specs of yet though it is expected to release next year), a browser with ~6 tabs, Discord, something playing music, and maybe occasionally stream a football game or movie while I play a game.... should I spring for the i7, or will a good i5 do the trick?

Also, would I benefit from using the 256 not-M.2 SSD for Windows, Browsers, and Discord, then install all games on the 1tb M.2 SSD? Or am I over-thinking it?

edit: I was hoping to get stuff on sale, but I have the week of Thanksgiving off so I am thinking of getting it built by then. I also have the two weeks around Christmas off so if you guys know that something like Cyber Monday or whatever it is called will have huge discounts on the parts I want, I may decide to wait.

Hackan Slash posted:

That post was from before the AMD 3600 released, which I think is pretty much the best value CPU. But in general I would say don't buy anything that's only 4 cores.
Interesting, thank you, I'll keep doing research.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

People in here were suggesting a 1660 TI or Super and they s em to be capable of this ray tracing thing. Plus cheaper and with only slightly worse performance from the review video I just watched.

Thanks for the info, though. I'll just keep an eye out then since I have to save up some more money anyhow.

A 1660Ti is capable of RTX in non-hardware mode. Again, by the time Bloodlines, Cyberpunk, and MW5 (the RTX-enabled games most people are waiting for) come out, I wouldn't be shocked if Vulkan wasn't working better for raytracing. nVidia jumped the gun on RTX; better (and free) implementations of it will likely be superior.

-----

Also, for those of you building Ryzen 2 PCs on an X570 board, Amazon has Sabrent Phison E16 NVMe drives on sale for a pretty fair price: https://techbargains.com/deals/sabrent-rocket-ssd

Again, to get the full performance out of these drives, you need PCIe 4.0, and the 1TB 4.0 drive, even with this coupon, is ~$50 more expensive than equivalent Phison E12 PCIe 3.0 drives, and 1000-1500MB/sec extra is not going to be a noticeable speed gain. But if you need/want ~the fastest drive you can buy~ for as little money as you have to spend, can't really beat those post-coupon prices at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 8, 2019

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Milton. The worst spot in the GTA for buying computers! At least we have a CC now.

Note that Mike's (just opened a hamilton location recently) which is near you will price match CC near you, with a supposed 10% discount on top, though I think they try to weasel out of it a lot.

Small world. poo poo posting from Caledonia. Micro Center opened up in Hamilton Mountain. They seem to be pretty good too.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

prom candy posted:

Ok, time for a new computer! Dual purpose, primarily running Xubuntu using lots of docker containers/compiling lots of Typescript for work, but then also gaming on a 2560x1080 144hz freesync monitor. At some point I may upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor. I would like to play some older titles (Rocket League, Overwatch) totally maxed and never drop below 144, and I'd like to play newer AAA games here and there on medium-high and never drop below 144.

1. Any reason to go 3600 X instead of 3600?
2. I've heard some poo poo about the 5700 XT causing BSOD and having "bad drivers," is that something I need to be concerned about?
3. Is this a good CPU cooler or should I get something else? I have an H100i in my current machine but this machine is going to be repurposed as a Plex server and is running a decent OC so I don't want to take it out.
4. My current build is in a Fractal Define r5 and with the H100i it is really nice and quiet. By going with a meshify case and an air cooler am I in for a lot more noise?
5. Any specific concerns with any of this stuff for running Xubuntu? A big impetus for the upgrade is being able to have a nice fast dev environment for work.

This is faster RAM at near the same price https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZzK8/gskill-ripjaws-v-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc. Free shipping off Newegg Canada.

So about never dropping below 144 FPS, that is gonna be hard one chief. A 5700XT will probably not do it. You might average close to 140 fps @ 2560x1080 in that tier of graphics cards on med/high settings. Very few people bench games at medium so its kind of hard to tell for sure but if you *need* 144 FPS min then you are probably looking at 2080 Super territory. You might also need to check CPU benches to make sure a 3600 will not bottleneck the games you are looking at for 144 FPS min.

1. No, unless you get a bundle and you either want Outer Worlds or Borderlands that comes bundled with a 3600X but not the 3600. Basically, if the price difference justifies the game then go for it, otherwise, just get the 3600. Keep in mind Outer Worlds is currently on XBOX game pass and any AMD CPU gets you 3 months for free at participating vendors. So if you don't care about owning it, you can still 'get' Outer Worlds with just a 3600 until it rotates. You kind of missed out, several weeks ago Memory Express was running a bundled promotion where the 3600X came with an ASUS X570-P board for 460 or so.

2. I have been on a 5700XT for 6 weeks or so, no issues. Their ReLive software overlay is kind of funky though. It doesn't like some games and can flicker or not show up. That said, Shadowplay with Nvidia did the same thing for me too. The Gigabyte OC and the Sapphire Pulse are now both 530 dollars at CC this weekend.

4. Mesh cases can be as good or quieter if you tune the fan curves on a decibel to decibel comparison. "Silent" cases with foam to dampen sound and closed off fronts often require fans to run faster to compensate for poor airflow when the system is under load and cause the very noise you don't want to hear. The noise-dampening foam can change the sound profile to something more suitable to the ear though so a decibel to decibel comparison might not be 100% apples to apples.

Hamilton also has a newish Memory Express. The folks there will also flash b450 motherboards for free there as long as you buy the CPU from them too if that is the reason why you are getting X570.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi thread, I am working on building my new PC.

• What country are you in? I am in the US
  • What are you using the system for? I am building this system for gaming
  • What's your budget? I only need the tower. I already have a brand new 1tb M.2 SSD, I will re-use my currently in-use 256 SSD, and also bring along my 2tb storage drive. I would like to spend around $1,500.00. I'm inclined to go Intel and I understand that Intels are more expensive. I want to have 16g's of RAM.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? n/a
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I have two Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H, Full HD 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz (I think that answers this question?)

A friend suggested I look at an Intel i7s but the OP's SA Performance Gamer suggests an i5. If I want to be able to run Warhammer Total War 2 (or eventually Total Warhmmer 3, which we do not know the specs of yet though it is expected to release next year), a browser with ~6 tabs, Discord, something playing music, and maybe occasionally stream a football game or movie while I play a game, should I spring for the i7, or will a good i5 do the trick?

Also, would I benefit from using the 256 not-M.2 SSD for Windows, Browsers, and Discord, then install all games on the 1tb M.2 SSD? Or am I over-thinking it?

edit: I was hoping to get stuff on sale, but I have the week of Thanksgiving off so I am thinking of getting it built by then. I also have the two weeks around Christmas off so if you guys know that something like Cyber Monday or whatever it is called will have huge discounts on the parts I want, I may decide to wait.

The OP system guide is totally out of date and unusable.

Several questions, are you married to that monitor for the long term? 1080p @ 60hz is pretty much entry-level gaming these days and the GPU you need to power it is pretty modest for gaming on 1 screen. Or are you gaming on 2 screens? With respect to the CPU, if you want intel, the cheapest CPU I would advise is the 9700k. There have been reports that the i5 9600k has frame time delivery issues on a few titles probably due to a lack of cores and hyperthreading. The 9700k doesn't have hyperthreading either but it at least has 8 cores. New consoles late next year will have 8 cores AMD processors in them and 4-6 core CPUs without hyperthreading are in danger of being left behind due to cross-platform development on AAA titles. Hell, some people are saying a 6 core 12 thread CPUs is in danger of aging poorly in the near term. I think that is unlikely but we just don't know for sure atm. I am mentioning this because you want to play Warhammer and stream, with a browser, and have discord and poo poo open. You need cores and threads for that.

I haven't research Intel much since I decided on AMD early on when I built my system recently so here is a low effort first pass. Well under 1500 assuming one screen gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($233.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $914.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-08 18:44 EST-0500

I don't know the US market but people are saying don't expect big discounts on components, more likely on peripherals.

NikkolasKing posted:

1660 Supers are perfect for 1080p @ 60Hz right now. If you have a high refresh monitor and want extra frames, thats when you need to step up to the next class of GPUs.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
The crappy and incredibly underpowered laptop I'd been using for music stuff died, and after looking at the price/performance ratio of laptops I dunno if I can justify the extra expense for worse performance. Anyway:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Music production/performance, in particular running high end guitar amp simulators with the most oversampling I can.
What's your budget? $500-1000. Cheaper is better since it'll give me more money to blow on software.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Reaper, using CPU-intensive VSTs and VSTIs.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Not gaming on this, and if at all possible I will run it without a monitor connected most of the time. Don't know anything about remote desktop stuff though, so I need to look into that more. Would welcome guidance even though that isn't technically a hardware issue.

Bonus constraint: I want to build this in a rack case. It would be really nice if I could fit what I need in a 2u case, but I've never built in a server chassis before so I dunno if that's realistic. 3u would work too but 4u would be annoying. Was aiming to mount it in a case with a 1u audio interface.

After some basic research, here's where I'm at:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is really the only sensible choice.
Motherboard: I think I'd be good with a B450 but I'm having trouble figuring out which ones are compatible with the Ryzen 3 stuff. Maybe an x470 would be better for thermal reasons? Appreciate suggestions.
Case: I'm completely clueless here. Need to settle on a mobo before I pick a case so I can determine whether stuff will fit.
RAM: 16gb of whatever the cheapest ddr4 3200 is.
PSU: Dunno. With a 2u or 3u case I might not be able to use a normal power supply...
Storage: Cheapest reliable 128gb NVME/M.2 SSD I can find. Amp sims don't take up a lotta space (unlike sample libraries) and I can always add more later.

I realize this is kind of different than what most people here are trying to build, and I'd be very grateful for any guidance, especially with the motherboard/case/psu.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Ugh I was going to wait until black Friday to make my move on components for a new pc but I just got a camelcamelcamel alert that the 3700x just went on sale from 329 to 309 on Amazon. What are the odds it will dip even further late this month?

I want to pair it with a gtx 2070 super and one of these fancy new pcie ssd's to replace my 9.5 year old computer. Speaking of which it just poo poo the bed and I'll have to reinstall windows this weekend, otherwise I'd post a pc parts picker list but I'm posting from my phone for now :v:

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 9, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

adebisi lives posted:

Ugh I was going to wait until black Friday to make my move on components for a new pc but I just got a camelcamelcamel alert that the 3600x just went on sale from 329 to 309 on Amazon. What are the odds it will dip even further late this month?

I want to pair it with a gtx 2070 super and one of these fancy new pcie ssd's to replace my 9.5 year old computer. Speaking of which it just poo poo the bed and I'll have to reinstall windows this weekend, otherwise I'd post a pc parts picker list but I'm posting from my phone for now :v:

If you have a Micro Center even remotely close to you, their price on a 3700X is $319.99, and they have a $30 bundle deal when you buy a motherboard from them.

Fake edit: Wait, you're talking CanuckBux, I think/hope.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

adebisi lives posted:

Ugh I was going to wait until black Friday to make my move on components for a new pc but I just got a camelcamelcamel alert that the 3700x just went on sale from 329 to 309 on Amazon. What are the odds it will dip even further late this month?

It comes with Borderlands 3 or Outerworlds and 3 months of Xbox game pass. You can play through the new Gears of War in that time period. Good deal if you want those 8 cores.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you have a Micro Center even remotely close to you, their price on a 3700X is $319.99, and they have a $30 bundle deal when you buy a motherboard from them.

Fake edit: Wait, you're talking CanuckBux, I think/hope.

Oops I meant to say the 3700x, and it's USD.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm thinking of using an Aquaero 6 to manage my 7 fans and 2 pumps, but due to the trend of towers not coming with 5.25 bays, I can either go with the 6LT without a screen or using an external 5.25 shroud inside my tower for the one with a screen + remote
Ideas?

Iwasted10bucks
Mar 5, 2017
So I'm considering upgrading my build and would appreciate some advise. I mostly use the computer for gaming (1080p) and more recent games (The Outer Worlds, RDR2) are definitely getting too demanding to run properly at high quality settings. I also work with specialized software for visual interpretation and interpolation of large 3D spatial datasets , and that requires many CPU cores to not be a total pain (hence the Xeon CPU) and lots of memory. 32 GB are definitely a requirement.

Current build:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X150-PLUS WS-CF
RAM: 32 GB (Crucial DDR4-2132 / PC4-17000)
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 (4 GB)
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO
PSU: BeQuiet PurePower 530 W

VR capabilities would be nice to have in the future, 4K is not required though. If possible, I'd like the new build to be powerful enough to not have to worry about upgrading for a couple years.
I realize the GPU needs upgrading, but will the CPU start bottlenecking if I do? If so, what would you recommend as a replacement? Will I have to replace the PSU?
I'm in Europe (Germany) and my budget is 700 - 800 euro (800 - 900 USD), but can be stretched a little if necessary.

Build suggestions would be highly appreciated!

e: added country of residence and memory requirements

Iwasted10bucks fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 9, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Vendors must be wondering who’s still buying all those 8600Ks and 750tis in late 2019 when it’s actually readers of the OP.
The “luxury overclocker” build also recommends a Z270 board with a 8700K which afaik doesn’t even work out of the box (if at all).

Maybe it is time to just link a to site like logicalincrements.com instead of giving outdated component recommendations.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 9, 2019

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Iwasted10bucks posted:

Build suggestions would be highly appreciated!

You didn’t specify country so I just used Germany for reference. You would probably benefit from the new AMD CPUs since they own the multi-core market right now. GPU wouldn’t hurt to update.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.00 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€111.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€73.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€117.89 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB OC Video Card (€295.52 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €897.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 12:05 CET+0100

Regarding your PSU it depends on how old it is. The guideline typically is to replace it when your warranty expires, since if it fails it could take out your whole rig. Wattage wise it looks fine though. If it’s still within warranty you should be fine to keep it.

I put a new SSD in there because you didn’t specify how big yours was or if you needed more space, but yours is an older model so I assume so.

This is just a quick one I threw together as a reference point. You might be able to do better with some deal searching or if I got your home country wrong.

Iwasted10bucks
Mar 5, 2017

macnbc posted:

You didn’t specify country so I just used Germany for reference. You would probably benefit from the new AMD CPUs since they own the multi-core market right now. GPU wouldn’t hurt to update.
This is just a quick one I threw together as a reference point. You might be able to do better with some deal searching or if I got your home country wrong.

Cheers, much appreciated. I'm in fact currently located in Germany, so good guess :)
I will have to check on the PSU warranty, but I am fairly sure it's 5+ years old, so certainly out of warranty.

I should have mentioned that my spatial data applications also have huge memory requirements, so I kinda need 32 GB even if it's overkill for gaming.

Does the Ryzen come with a decent stock cooler?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The cooler has no problem keeping it cool. It just might get loud.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ak Gara posted:

I'm thinking of using an Aquaero 6 to manage my 7 fans and 2 pumps, but due to the trend of towers not coming with 5.25 bays, I can either go with the 6LT without a screen or using an external 5.25 shroud inside my tower for the one with a screen + remote
Ideas?

I would just get the 6LT without a screen, there are going to be a lot of wires going in and out of the unit that would be obnoxious to work with going into a shroud. Plus if you are using an Aquaero you should probably be setting all the throttles based off of the coolant to ambient temperature delta which only requires a couple sensors, and once you get that dialed in even a simple linear throttle curve should just work amazingly well and never require adjustment which makes the screen and remote pretty much pointless feature bloat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can afford to buy a new computer now so I guess it's time to invest in something that I use every day but haven't been able to enjoy for gaming purposes for years now.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming, Internet Browsing, Office
What's your budget? $1000
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Minimal photoshopping for school projects
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I have an old monitor that my dad gave me... unknown, could use an updated model probably.

I was hoping that I would be able to build this thing myself and/or start and get frustrated, then bring it to someone else to do. I looked at the OP, but it appears that some people think it's outdated. Browsing Logical Increments is helpful, but I'm still a bit bewildered by it all. Any help would be appreciated!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Iwasted10bucks posted:

I should have mentioned that my spatial data applications also have huge memory requirements, so I kinda need 32 GB even if it's overkill for gaming.

In that case just go for whatever RAM is on sale, though try to get 16x2 rather than 8x4. A lot of people will be trying to min/max their setups but for your purposes you’re not likely to see a big performance difference between like, 3000 or 3600 RAM.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeC posted:

The OP system guide is totally out of date and unusable.

Several questions, are you married to that monitor for the long term? 1080p @ 60hz is pretty much entry-level gaming these days and the GPU you need to power it is pretty modest for gaming on 1 screen. Or are you gaming on 2 screens? With respect to the CPU, if you want intel, the cheapest CPU I would advise is the 9700k. There have been reports that the i5 9600k has frame time delivery issues on a few titles probably due to a lack of cores and hyperthreading. The 9700k doesn't have hyperthreading either but it at least has 8 cores. New consoles late next year will have 8 cores AMD processors in them and 4-6 core CPUs without hyperthreading are in danger of being left behind due to cross-platform development on AAA titles. Hell, some people are saying a 6 core 12 thread CPUs is in danger of aging poorly in the near term. I think that is unlikely but we just don't know for sure atm. I am mentioning this because you want to play Warhammer and stream, with a browser, and have discord and poo poo open. You need cores and threads for that.

I haven't research Intel much since I decided on AMD early on when I built my system recently so here is a low effort first pass. Well under 1500 assuming one screen gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($233.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $914.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-08 18:44 EST-0500

I don't know the US market but people are saying don't expect big discounts on components, more likely on peripherals.
Thank you so much for this! Does the PCPartPicker fully account for CPU/Motherboard compatibility and power needs?

I am gaming on one screen; use the other for Discord and browser needs. I am not married to the monitor but I doubt I would notice much of a difference. I dont play any FPSs or care overly much about running things on MAXXX settings; I more prefer to have things run smoothly and quickly. For example, right now I have to run Seven Days to Die on minimum settings because it is poorly optimized and my current system is 5+ years old.

What would be the best option if I wanted to upgrade the CPU to have hyperthreading?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 9, 2019

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What would be the best option if I wanted to upgrade the CPU to have hyperthreading?

AMD Ryzen 3700X. It’ll have slightly less single core speed than the Intel on that list, but will blow it out of the water on multi core due to hyper threading.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So, am in need of an overhaul to my 5 year old AM3 platform based setup, budget is around £300 or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/3OGC4H5FM50BB?ref_=wl_share

That is what I have so far..

Upgrading from a FX 6350. Transferring my existing RX 570 8GB to new setup, reusing PSU/Case. Changing cooling in case to hopefully be a bit better while I am at it. Upgrading from a 120GB 2.5in SSD to a 512GB NVME thing.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

mfny posted:

Upgrading from a 120GB 2.5in SSD to a 512GB NVME thing.
Regardless of anything else probably buy the SSD immediately, there's a chance it sells out before the deal period ends like the 1TB model has already.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

mfny posted:

So, am in need of an overhaul to my 5 year old AM3 platform based setup, budget is around £300 or so.

Upgrading from a FX 6350. Transferring my existing RX 570 8GB to new setup, reusing PSU/Case. Changing cooling in case to hopefully be a bit better while I am at it. Upgrading from a 120GB 2.5in SSD to a 512GB NVME thing.

By changing your cooling in the case do you mean you intend to install the NF-P12s in your wishlist as case fans? If so you might want to get a pair of NF-S12Bs instead, the P12 is a higher pressure fan optimised for heat sinks and radiators, the S12B is better for airflow.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

MikeC posted:

This is faster RAM at near the same price https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZzK8/gskill-ripjaws-v-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc. Free shipping off Newegg Canada.

So about never dropping below 144 FPS, that is gonna be hard one chief. A 5700XT will probably not do it. You might average close to 140 fps @ 2560x1080 in that tier of graphics cards on med/high settings. Very few people bench games at medium so its kind of hard to tell for sure but if you *need* 144 FPS min then you are probably looking at 2080 Super territory. You might also need to check CPU benches to make sure a 3600 will not bottleneck the games you are looking at for 144 FPS min.

1. No, unless you get a bundle and you either want Outer Worlds or Borderlands that comes bundled with a 3600X but not the 3600. Basically, if the price difference justifies the game then go for it, otherwise, just get the 3600. Keep in mind Outer Worlds is currently on XBOX game pass and any AMD CPU gets you 3 months for free at participating vendors. So if you don't care about owning it, you can still 'get' Outer Worlds with just a 3600 until it rotates. You kind of missed out, several weeks ago Memory Express was running a bundled promotion where the 3600X came with an ASUS X570-P board for 460 or so.

2. I have been on a 5700XT for 6 weeks or so, no issues. Their ReLive software overlay is kind of funky though. It doesn't like some games and can flicker or not show up. That said, Shadowplay with Nvidia did the same thing for me too. The Gigabyte OC and the Sapphire Pulse are now both 530 dollars at CC this weekend.

4. Mesh cases can be as good or quieter if you tune the fan curves on a decibel to decibel comparison. "Silent" cases with foam to dampen sound and closed off fronts often require fans to run faster to compensate for poor airflow when the system is under load and cause the very noise you don't want to hear. The noise-dampening foam can change the sound profile to something more suitable to the ear though so a decibel to decibel comparison might not be 100% apples to apples.

Hamilton also has a newish Memory Express. The folks there will also flash b450 motherboards for free there as long as you buy the CPU from them too if that is the reason why you are getting X570.

Awesome, thank you! 2080 Super is way, way out of the price range so maybe I'll have to settle for ~90-120 on fancy new games. Most of the time I'm just playing competitive games anyway, but I do want to be able to play the odd AAA with decent settings and not have the graphics dip down into the 40s during complex scenes.

Spiderdrake posted:

Milton. The worst spot in the GTA

Agreed! :v:

quote:

Oh good to know, thanks! Never even heard of Mike's, I've just been going to CC forever out of habit/because they were the only game in town.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

Follow up on this, forgot I have some amazon credit so I can get a 3600 now, but I need a motherboard that supports 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box guaranteed that is around £65. Also needs 2+ case fan headers and decent fan control to go with it.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Looking to build a nice compact gaming PC for 1440p and maaayyybe hooking up to my 4K TV. I think I've mostly settled on this build but had a couple of questions before pulling the trigger.

1) I want to keep it small but I've never built a micro ATX rig before, so are there any heat risks or obvious benefits to going full ATX that I'm missing out on? I'm fine with the 2 RAM slots on that mobo and don't plan to ever SLI or anything.

2) Are we past the days of Samsung SSDs being the go-to recommendation? The Sabrent I picked seems to be cheap and popular, but I'm allergic to load times and if the Samsungs are noticibly faster then I might be willing to shell out the extra $.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($504.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1200.80

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You don't save much space at all with that matx case. It's practically the same size as the define c. Only reason to buy matx boards is to save $30 cash.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You get nicer boards in full ATX, but unless you're putting a >=10 core in there it doesn't really matter.

Unless you go super cheap DRAMless differences in SSD speeds arent going to be notable.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I want to get a 2080 Ti. I heard from some random person that the founder's edition runs hot and something about needing to make sure your card has Ann"A" chip?

Does any of this matter?

I'm replacing a regular founder's edition 1080. No extra cooling in my PC, my 1080 just has the fans that come built into it. I'm surprised to hear that the 2080 Ti "runs hot" and that I should try another manufacturer or add extra fans, though... Is that bullshit?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

oliveoil posted:

I want to get a 2080 Ti. I heard from some random person that the founder's edition runs hot and something about needing to make sure your card has Ann"A" chip?

Does any of this matter?

I'm replacing a regular founder's edition 1080. No extra cooling in my PC, my 1080 just has the fans that come built into it. I'm surprised to hear that the 2080 Ti "runs hot" and that I should try another manufacturer or add extra fans, though... Is that bullshit?

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but the 2080Ti Super is evidently coming out in the next few months. No one knows if it'll just be a clock boost or if they'll actually do something more substantial like widen the memory bus to allow for 12GB of GDDR6 instead of 11GB, but the Super cards have come in at the MSRP of the original RTX SKUs thus far.

Not only does the FE run hotter - it's more expensive and the nVidia HSF unit's a royal bitch to get off and doesn't do the best job. I think they stopped doing the "A" chip thing a while ago, too.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

adebisi lives posted:

Okay got my current computer maybe fixed for now so here we go:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Mostly gaming, also browsing, movie watching, other low intensity stuff.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'm shooting for around ~1500, not including a possible monitor purchase on black friday.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - my current monitors are also 10 year old cheap widescreen LCD's. I'm planning on replacing the lousier of the two with a fancy 2560 ultrawide curved thing if i can find a good deal for one under $500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1427.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 16:31 EST-0500

I'm curious to see if this seems like a decent match of CPU/GPU for the money. I know the Intel 9700 has a marginal advantage in gaming over the 3700x but I'm thinking long term it'll be a good idea to have the extra threads and multi-tasking performance. I'd love it if this new build could be make it as long as my current system has. I'm also curious about the best bang for the buck on a 1 tb PCIE ssd for OS and games. The memory and PSU are also things I'm not entirely sure about. Any thoughts? I'd love to try to get some deals on some components during black friday.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It hasn't been confirmed yet, but the 2080Ti Super is evidently coming out in the next few months. No one knows if it'll just be a clock boost or if they'll actually do something more substantial like widen the memory bus to allow for 12GB of GDDR6 instead of 11GB, but the Super cards have come in at the MSRP of the original RTX SKUs thus far.

Not only does the FE run hotter - it's more expensive and the nVidia HSF unit's a royal bitch to get off and doesn't do the best job. I think they stopped doing the "A" chip thing a while ago, too.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into the Super!

As for the "A" chip, it seems like I wouldn't be able to choose the one I wanted anyway, but it does sound like at least a minor reason to avoid the FE.

The higher price and higher heat sound like bigger reasons to avoid it, though.

Does matter much if I choose virtually any other brand? As long as I see fans on the side, it should be cool enough without me having to add anything extra to my case, right?

Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't remember about the 2080ti specifically, but the A chips were just a better binning and I'm pretty sure Nvidia stuck them in the FEs.