Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Doing some research it seems there is no way to guarantee a Ryzen 3rd Gen working motherboard at my budget ? what madness is this ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hello thread! It's been a long time and hopefully I won't forget that I posted in here like I usually do--

I am looking to slot in some more ram on my machine, given I upgraded on the cheap. However, seeing the recommendation in the OP about it being recommended to do beefier pairs over four stacks, I've come to ask; should I be too concerned about getting, in total, 4x4 Crucial Ballistix blahblah sticks over 2x8s or no, not really?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ItBreathes posted:

Don't remember about the 2080ti specifically, but the A chips were just a better binning and I'm pretty sure Nvidia stuck them in the FEs.

The FEs and also the higher-end AIB cards. The difference between the "A" chips and those that weren't was that nVidia only allowed AIBs to do stock overclocks on cards using the "A" chips.

It didn't necessarily mean the non-"A" chips wouldn't overclock, but nVidia mandates that AIBs have at least one SKU that matches the launch price MSRP.

But that was at launch and a few months after. I *believe* that "A" chips aren't a thing anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mfny posted:

Follow up on this, forgot I have some amazon credit so I can get a 3600 now, but I need a motherboard that supports 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box guaranteed that is around £65. Also needs 2+ case fan headers and decent fan control to go with it.

MSI B450M-A PRO MAX
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mfny posted:

Doing some research it seems there is no way to guarantee a Ryzen 3rd Gen working motherboard at my budget ? what madness is this ?

Guaranteed to work:

Any X570 board, any of the MSI MAX boards, and and board with a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on it, if you have access to a retail computer parts store. The MSI B450 boards also allow for CPU-less bios flashing.

I've got to imagine they've run through the old stock that had an unsupported bios by now, and some goons have reported they received updated boards, but of course I can't guarantee that.

Ram guy:

Going 2x8 means you've got half as many things that can have issues / have free slots to add ram later if need be. Consumer platforms are only dual channel anyways, even if they have 4 DIMM slots, so there's no benefit to a 4x configuration.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Welp, ordered all the stuffs. Should be here middle of the week.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking to replace my gaming PC that I use to play in the living room, here's what I'm thinking right now:

Drive: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, M.2 (single drive for everything, this one seems to be a good mix of price and performance from the reviews)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU cooler: Noctua D9L
GPU: my old GTX 1080 till the 2080ti successor comes out
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL18-22-22-42
MB: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI (thinking I might upgrade the GPU twice in this build, once next year and then again a 3 or 4 years down the line, by which time PCIe 4.0 should(?) be beneficial)
Case: Cougar QBX mini-ITX (one of the very few that fits under my TV)
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX (the only SFX power supplies that are more than 500w that aren't this one are a Silverstone and a Corsair 600w one, both only marginally cheaper)

I kinda splurged on RAM and SSD but both are cheap right now and I'm hoping to not have to upgrade either for the lifetime (6-7 years) of this system. Any feedback on my selections and reasoning behind it would be much appreciated, I don't follow hardware news too closely so I may very well be wrong on some of this stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The included wraith prism cooler is supposed to be quite good. I would just wait on the Noctua until you've tried it especially since it's a living room PC. You probably won't even hear the fans anyway. 32 gigs of RAM is overkill for the foreseeable future if you're just gaming on it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
One reason I went with the Noctua is that, unlike the wraith prism, it's a tower cooler which would allow me to do this airflow idea:

basically taking air from the rear of the case and exhausting it out the front. For reference, this is where I intend to put it:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like you thought it all out. It would be a pain in the rear end to remove the wraith cooler and replace it in that case so I guess it's better to just do it the first time.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
I ended up ordering the MSI B450M-A PRO MAX motherboard wise, as for stock, price and compatibility reasons its the one that made the most sense .. tho pairing such a budget board with a 3600 seems a bit odd ? (£56 Mobo, £178 CPU) but if it works it works right ?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No, it's a perfectly fine pairing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I’ve asked this elsewhere but didn’t really get an answer so I’ll try here:

I’m doing my first AMD build so I don’t know what motherboard manufacturers tend to make quality stuff and which ones cheap out. What brand(s) should I be looking at or avoiding for an X570?
I can go up to $250 so plenty of options are out there.

I had been looking at either a Gigabyte Aorus Elite or Pro but while the professional reviews for them are great the Newegg reviews are a cesspool of broken boards and lovely BIOS complaints, so I don’t know what to make of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

99% of people will be fine with the B450 Tomahawk Max

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

ItBreathes posted:

Don't remember about the 2080ti specifically, but the A chips were just a better binning and I'm pretty sure Nvidia stuck them in the FEs.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The FEs and also the higher-end AIB cards. The difference between the "A" chips and those that weren't was that nVidia only allowed AIBs to do stock overclocks on cards using the "A" chips.

It didn't necessarily mean the non-"A" chips wouldn't overclock, but nVidia mandates that AIBs have at least one SKU that matches the launch price MSRP.

But that was at launch and a few months after. I *believe* that "A" chips aren't a thing anymore.

That all sounds helpful! I'll stop worrying so much about their A chips, then. Thanks again, both of you!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Probably better to buy an EVGA variant as well.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hey goons, how good is the Adata sp580ssd (480gb)? It seems real cheap so there has to be a catch, right? Does it not have DRAM?

If it's a bad deal I believe I'll get a WD Blue NVME instead on tomorrow's 11/11 sale on Aliexpress.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

macnbc posted:

I’m doing my first AMD build so I don’t know what motherboard manufacturers tend to make quality stuff and which ones cheap out. What brand(s) should I be looking at or avoiding for an X570?

I had been looking at either a Gigabyte Aorus Elite or Pro but while the professional reviews for them are great the Newegg reviews are a cesspool of broken boards and lovely BIOS complaints, so I don’t know what to make of them.

I have had good experiences with Asus, MSI, Asrock and Biostar.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

macnbc posted:

Every company can and has produced good boards. Every company can and has made bad boards. There is no manufacturer that is safe on any given product. The best thing to do is to select a series of boards that have all the options you want, start with the cheapest one and google forums to see if there are sustained, specific complaints about that board. If so, move on to the next one. That said most boards do not have crippling issues on them.

Newegg or other vendor reviews are kind of not helpful sometimes. You get 1-star reviews for DOA products when they got shipped a lemon which has no bearing on the utility and usability of the board. I have seen people leave bad reviews for a board not having a feature they wanted when it was never advertised to have that feature to begin with. When looking around, things that should raise red flags are consistent issues on a specific component (ie several people reporting say the USB connector is faulty or several people complaining that a BIOS option is not doing what it should be doing etc).

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Hi guys I have a GTX 1080 running on i5 4690K.
-- I want to upgrade my mobo, CPU, and ram.
-- Do not want to overclock.

What is the best value Intel processor right now? I heard Ryzen requires overclocking the memory so don't want to mess around with it. Just want to upgrade so that I can stretch out 3-4 years out of the GTX 1080 before building a completely new rig.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Does anyone have any experience with the Corsair Carbide 678 case? It seems to tick all the boxes I need, mainly EATX board support and six 3.5” drive bays. Hoping to use it to build a new Threadripper box this spring.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eames posted:

Vendors must be wondering who’s still buying all those 8600Ks and 750tis in late 2019 when it’s actually readers of the OP.
The “luxury overclocker” build also recommends a Z270 board with a 8700K which afaik doesn’t even work out of the box (if at all).

Maybe it is time to just link a to site like logicalincrements.com instead of giving outdated component recommendations.

Don't report your own post (???) if you think an OP is out of date. Contact the OP if you would like an update, or agree here to start a new thread if you're volunteering to maintain an OP. Thanks.

eames
May 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't report your own post (???) if you think an OP is out of date. Contact the OP if you would like an update, or agree here to start a new thread if you're volunteering to maintain an OP. Thanks.

I thought that was the encouraged way to get attention of mods, but apparently that was on a different sub forum. OP appears to be busy with other things, I’ll just leave it be. Worth a try to save people from buying quad cores in 2020. :shobon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just make the op a link to logical increments or pcpartspicker

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eames posted:

I thought that was the encouraged way to get attention of mods, but apparently that was on a different sub forum. OP appears to be busy with other things, I’ll just leave it be. Worth a try to save people from buying quad cores in 2020. :shobon:

It is, but your report also made no sense and didn't even mention that. I can't be responsible for maintaining OPs, and it's not appropriate for me to edit others posts without permission like that. Please start a new megathread if the current OP has vanished, I would be happy to lock this one and direct people to the new one, sticky it, whatever. That's how this kind of issue should be handled!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Howard Phillips posted:

Hi guys I have a GTX 1080 running on i5 4690K.
-- I want to upgrade my mobo, CPU, and ram.
-- Do not want to overclock.

What is the best value Intel processor right now? I heard Ryzen requires overclocking the memory so don't want to mess around with it. Just want to upgrade so that I can stretch out 3-4 years out of the GTX 1080 before building a completely new rig.

Literal best value is probably this: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-9100F-Desktop-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07R7Q3JZH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=i3+9100f&qid=1573422680&sr=8-2

Otherwise amazon has the 9600kf (no integrated graphics) for $200 which is also a really good value, but you need to buy a cooler. Look at the i5-9400f if you want a cooler: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MRCGQQ4/ref=psdc_229189_t1_B07MQP5LNM

You also don't have to overclock your RAM?? You can just buy RAM that's 2933Mhz or even 3200Mhz? Or if you have 2666Mhz that's also fine, it works great, it's a tiny probably barely noticeable difference.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 10, 2019

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Also, "overclocking your ram" generally just means turning on XMP in the bios.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Thinking about snagging a Black Friday deal that'll let me run Cyberpunk 2077. What I need is a new cpu. Currently have a 2500k - what should I be looking for? Looking around it seems like the Ryzen 5 3600X is what I should keep an eye on but the motherboards seem pretty expensive? Is it possible to get a cpu, ram, mbo under $500?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait for the game to come out. We do not know the ideal specs yet. Also the game might suck.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Thinking about snagging a Black Friday deal that'll let me run Cyberpunk 2077. What I need is a new cpu. Currently have a 2500k - what should I be looking for? Looking around it seems like the Ryzen 5 3600X is what I should keep an eye on but the motherboards seem pretty expensive? Is it possible to get a cpu, ram, mbo under $500?

You could do it now, especially if you have a microcenter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4M4XPG?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PV7GL6C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A25SITGFW0OQJA&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQBFN2D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

$494.35 today, 32 GB of RAM is also super optional I'd say?

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 11, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I wrote the start of an OP a while back if someone wants to dig that up and run with it.

Considering the volatility in PC parts and my general lack of desire to keep an OP up to date all the time, how would the thread regulars feel about an OP that was just an FAQ and the template with instructions to just post? Because I can do that.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah it's probably a good idea to not post specific parts in the OP because it always gets outdated and people get confused.

eames
May 9, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah it's probably a good idea to not post specific parts in the OP because it always gets outdated and people get confused.

That’s the reason why I tried to get mod attention. If nobody wants to make a new OP then just editing out the outdated, now actively misleading examples and replacing them with logicalincrements / pcbuilder would go a long way.

I get that mods don’t have he time/expertise to keep user content updated, though. I also understand that modifying user content can be questionable so maybe it’s better to have that new topic ItBreathes suggested, with a barebones FAQ + links + template.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eames posted:

mods don’t have he time/expertise to keep user content updated....also understand that modifying user content can be questionable

This is it right here. Thank you for understanding. Please feel free to ping me when a new OP is ready/posted, and I can close this one, link to the new one, etc. Cheers.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Looking to build a high-end gaming machine that will let me play whatever for at least the next 3-5 years.
What's your budget? ~$3000

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red (Retail Kit) 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($116.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($484.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($144.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($496.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2331.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 21:29 EST-0500

So this is a very similar list to what I posted last time, but it's been a few months and I wanted to be sure before I pull the trigger on these purchases.

One thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard. I'm interested in out-of-the-box support for the Ryzen cpu. Is there a better one at a better price I might grab?

One thing to note is I live in a very isolated area, so I won't be able to take advantage of whatever Fry's deals or whatever you might normally recommend? I'm buying all parts online.

Thanks, folks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
You definitely don’t need a $400 motherboard for a bare bones 3600. MSI b450 tomahawk MAX (the max is important) will save a few pennies and supports zen2 out of the box.

Maybe take a few of the saved bucks and get a 3600x?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Looking to build a high-end gaming machine that will let me play whatever for at least the next 3-5 years.
What's your budget? ~$3000

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red (Retail Kit) 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($116.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($484.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($144.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2331.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 21:29 EST-0500

So this is a very similar list to what I posted last time, but it's been a few months and I wanted to be sure before I pull the trigger on these purchases.

One thing I'm not sure about is the motherboard. I'm interested in out-of-the-box support for the Ryzen cpu. Is there a better one at a better price I might grab?

One thing to note is I live in a very isolated area, so I won't be able to take advantage of whatever Fry's deals or whatever you might normally recommend? I'm buying all parts online.

Thanks, folks.

Is there something on the Crosshair VIII Hero that you want specifically? If not, you can save money by going with a cheaper board. The MSI "max" boards as stated will support Ryzen 3000 series out of the box. All X570 boards (of which the Crosshair is one) also supports Ryzen 3000. Since you are ordering online, stick to one of those two options since you can't check before you buy whether a non-specified B450 board comes with an updated BIOS. Since you want a 3-5 year machine and implying you don't want to have to touch it again, have a generous budget and will be buying a new 144 Hz monitor, I upgraded your video card to a 2080 Super and processor to an 8 core 3700X and downgraded the motherboard. These are not components we typically would recommend *right now* as best price to performance but these are reasonable components that has a better chance to age better into years 4 and 5 on a 'build it once and never touch again' PC.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($307.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($683.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2235.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 01:23 EST-0500

I deleted the windows 10 because you can just buy a Windows 7 Pro key that works with a Windows 10 pro install off SA mart for 19 dollars. I got mine off Brownthunder for my latest build and it worked great. Don't know if you are married to the case but there are cheaper cases out there that do the job. The RAM is acceptable and on the QVL but there are faster options if you want to eake out a few more FPS. I preserved your fancy cooler but there are other options out there that are cheaper and do 95% as good a job as Noctua. If you have concerns about the motherboard features let me know and we can find you another one.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there any chance that the next generation of video cards might actually utilise pci4?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there any chance that the next generation of video cards might actually utilise pci4?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most video cards don't even fully utilize pcie3