Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Thanks for redoing this thread!

Only thing I would mention was the Killer Ethernet thing. I questioned it last thread and was told it was fine as long as you don't install the 'special software' for it and just use the default drivers. A lot of ITX boards use it (I have one) and have no issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Would it not be cheaper to get a Win 7 key and then utilize a free upgrade?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

kaschei posted:

1. Is old (2004) thermal paste still fine to use? I'm replacing a motherboard and have some ancient arctic silver from the last time I used a custom cooler.
2. I want to attach a USB HD to my router to use to backup photos from phones and laptops when my computer isn't on (and have a backup in case my internal HD dies). Should I get an "external hard drive" or an enclosure + a regular hard drive?

New thermal paste is like $8, why roll the dice on 13 year old paste with a $200+ processor? Just get some new Artic Silver 5 or whatever.

For the HDD question, I prefer getting a bare drive + enclosure. Drive warranties are often much longer on bare drives (sometimes 1 year on an external vs 3-5 elsewhwre). Plus you ensure you don't get a drive where the usb port is physically soldered to the drive/or a plastic case. You can also change the drive to a new enclosure if your $3 Alibaba Express one dies without voiding your warranty. You can pick out a nicer aluminum case that has better heat transfer/a fan vs a lovely plastic one.

I also prefer to get cases with USB A Male to USB A Male connectors to that if the drive does get jerked by the cord, it is much less likely to break the port as it is bigger and usually attached better. Personal preference on the last one, some people like using the new USB 3.0 cables so they can use a cell phone micro usb cable in a pinch, but if the drive is just sitting hooked up to your router you shouldn't need to worry about losing the cable.

Edit: Forgot to post what I came here to ask. What is the best price:performance ratio on an m.2 hdd currently? I have a good use case for one vs a normal SSD (saving space on a 7.5L mITX build), just looking to see if there is a good deal vs the 950 or 960 standard recommendation. Usage will be some games, windows poo poo, etc. Looking for around 256gb.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 2, 2017