Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jack Forge posted:

^ Probably. Install 7, immediate upgrade via Windows update?

Even quicker method, install Windows 10 trial, use windows 7 key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is now a good time to get an EVGA card to take advantage of their step up program

How does it work exactly?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what the christ, Im reading that the 1070 benchmarks better than a Titan X

I dont even know what is real anymore?!?!?!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
can anyone recommend any cheap quiet cases?

I have an Antec case atm and it vibrates enough to annoy me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Is this a bad PSU?

http://m.ebuyer.com/429986

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

so its bad but not, my pc will soon explode bad

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The main thing is the temperature rating, which is frankly unacceptable. Not being able to work as advertised at anything over 30C/86F is just silly.

I don't even have any idea how I could measure the temp of my PSU

It's actually not for me, my partner has it in her in PC already, but she's not overclocking anything and only has a 550 Ti at the moment. So I don't know if she'll want to replace it yet

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You put the computer on load so that the PSU has to provide a significant amount of power, say playing an intensive game for 15 minutes or more and then you measure the temperature of the air exhausting out of the PSU. Typically you will be looking at at least 35C exhaust temps on any PSU that is being stressed even a little bit, as ambient temps increase you will see 40C and even 45C on a really hot day. This is part of why I recommend the EVGA PSUs so often, they are generally rated for 50C before they start having problems which is plenty.

I have an EVGA psu :)

she's thinking of getting a 1070. Probably should get something more reliable first?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Would an EVGA 500w 80+ bronze also be a good choice?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
reading reviews and opinions on PSUs online is loving irritating

So much personal opinion and "ew I don't like this brand because reasons!"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Would anyone recommend against getting a EVGA 500B for use with a 1070 gtx

keep in mind this person is on a tight budget

JonnyGuru gave it a good review, but that is a few years old now and I was wondering if there are better options for someone on a budget?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I recently got a new windows 10 key from MS after my hard drive died

did the whole thing over live chat and a bit of remote access

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

internet inc posted:

Crosspost from the Overwatch thread.

I want to throw a few (200ish?) bones at my computer in order to run Overwatch a little better. I'm fine with the lowest settings but I get some occasional stuttering and FPS drops with this:

Intel Core i3-4160 Haswell Dual-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB
ASRock H97M 1150 Intel H97
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SSD

Is there anything that sticks out as the bottleneck (especially with regards to Overwatch) or should I just wait and upgrade everything down the road?

Someone from the Overwatch thread recommended that I run the MSI Afterburner tool, which I will undoubtedly do once I get home, but I'm hoping for a few pointers until then.

upgrading to an i5-6500 was a huge performance boost for me

I have the same GPU as you and I now get around 60-90fps even during intense action

Also upgraded to faster ram too

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

Apparently using the Win10 key from my old machine isn't valid. I can reformat my new PC that I just got Win10 running on and install Win7, get a new free key, and then reformat again with Win10, but is there an easier way? That's a bunch of pointless work.

When my HDD died recently and I had to get a new windows 10 key from MS, they just straight up generated me a new key.

Try using MS live chat to get a new key and just tell them your hard drive died.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

Should I tell them I just bought a new PC? My Win7 key will transfer, but my Win10 won't, and I'm wondering if that's by design.

If you download the trial ISO of windows 10 which lets you install windows 10 with no key, then you can just put the windows 7 key in when it asks for one and it will take that

That's what I did before me HDD died and it worked fine.

Khablam posted:

It's by design. You can however simply install Win10 using the Win7 key until July 29th.

so basically this

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hey guys I need help!

Installing a new MSI Armor GTX 1070; I've plugged the 8 pin power connector into the socket on the card, and then the other end which is a 6 pin and a 2 pin connector into the PSU (modular PSU)

I'm getting a signal and the machine boots into windows fine, proper resolution etc, but the fans aren't spinning!

I'm worried I've connected something wrong, but surely I just wouldnt get a signal/beeping. Does this card only spin the fans under load?

Plase help!!!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, that's how some MSI cards do. Check the manual/packaging or maybe fire up a game.

Edit: From their website:

In fact, my MSI card had a plastic sheet over the fans that you had to remove before you installed them warning you about this very thing.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Modern GTX cards don't spin up until there they reach above 50-60C, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

Thanks guys I'm not used to new cards :3:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
do we know much about the 1050 and 1050 Ti yet?

Wondering if a 1050 Ti would be a nice upgrade over my 750 Ti. Running at only 1680x1050 so I don't really feel like I would need a 1070 for a while, also on a tight budget

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Khablam posted:

Expect to get over 2.5x (maybe 3x) the performance from a 1050ti as you get from a 750t.

A 1060 would be a lot better however, whilst being a lot cheaper than a 1070.

cheers!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Disco De Soto posted:

Just realized that I can't transfer my Windows 10 license to my new computer build, since it's a free upgrade from Windows 7. gently caress you Microsoft :mad:

When my HDD died I contacted MS support and by giving them my old windows 7 key they confirmed it was genuine and then created a brand new Windows 10 key for me.

You could try the same

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
What are peoples opinions on Gigabyte gpu's?

I seem to remember people advising against them for some reason but I can't remember why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
anyone see any good 1060 6gb deals for the UK?