Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
So I know the answer is to buy something that isn't super old, but I've been curious. I have a machine with a core2 duo E6750 in it paired up with a 960. Some games I can play fine, albeit at lower settings. A few seem fluid, but are going in slow motion. Is the chip just to old to deal with it? I could play fallout 4 fairly well, but dark souls isn't happening for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Your chip is too old and dual core, You should be able to get 60 FPS at medium settings on FO4 with a 960 and a new Mobo/CPU/RAM, probably a new PSU too and an SSD if you don't have one already. Here is a quick build:

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, a dual core under 3GHz is pretty low end at this point. If you're wanting to get more mileage out of that system instead of invest in a new one, you should probably check and see if your motherboard supports a Core 2 Quad. At this point you can find all but the highest-end models on eBay for pretty cheap, and a Q9400 for example would basically be two of your current processor as a drop-in replacement for $25-30. Make sure you have something better than the stock C2D cooler if you do this, since most of the Quads are 95W instead of 65W and it won't be sufficient.

You won't be able to get top-end performance without at least a quad core from the last few generations, but the 960 is a fairly modest graphics card anyway so pairing it with a Core 2 Quad won't waste all that much potential if you'd rather wait.

Great, thanks guys. Looks like my board is compatible with the quad cores so I grabbed a q9400 for $25 hopefully it can carry me for a little while longer until I can replace the motherboard, chip, ram etc. I Pushed the 6750 up to just shy of 3.0 Ghz, maybe I can juice a bit more out of the 9400 as well.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
This was a few days back in the old thread but I wanted to give an update. Turns out you can totally play dark souls on a Q9400 with a 960 on medium setting, so thanks for the advice all!

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to move a hard drive setup to use IDE controllers to a motherboard that only supports SATA?