Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)

This is the assortment of parts I've bought over the last ~18 months. I have a heavy mid-tower ATX case that I would like to replace. I've started with the recommendations in from the thread, but this is proving quite a bit more daunting than I had anticipated. I believe I want/need ~2 2.5 internal bays, 1-2 3.5 internal, 0-as few as possible external, 2-3 PCI slots (GPU and wireless), and as minimalistic as reasonable. Obviously, I'll need a new motherboard, but I'm trying to figure out mATX vs ITX within the available cases and parts I own.

Aero Cool DS Cube - I kind of like it but it's not actually that small.
Cooler Master N200 - Seems nice but on the lower end of quality

Fractal Design Node 804 - I think I like this, more drive space than I need
Fractal Design Node 304 - I might have psu/gpu collision
Corsair 380T
Corsair Obsidian 250D

My non-modular PSU might be a bit on the larger side at 5.91" x 3.39" x 6.42" (150 x 86 x 163 mm). I plan to grab a 1070 or whatever makes sense later this summer.

I guess I'm looking for any strong opinions that people have about these small cube or similar cases. I'm also realizing that I might have trouble finding a good Z97 mITX or mATX board.

edit: If I really want to pull off a smaller build, would I be better off not trying to reuse my CPU?

daspope fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

To clarify a bit, I paid less for those parts a while ago. I know I can't use the ATX board. I was trying to figure out if it's reasonable to transition to a smaller build with some of the not too old parts that I have. I suppose I should just edit that down to the CPU and PSU.

This just may not be the most reasonable thing to do. I might be better starting a new build and selling these parts.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.98 @ Newegg)

1) A better mobo.

I was looking at the mATX Z170 boards. It seems like they have pretty mediocre reviews with complaints about QC. Are this and the Maximus Gene the main options? I'd prefer to pay a bit more for a board that's stable and going to last though I don't know if the Gene is over the top for that. Is there a recommended motherboard comparison site? I know reviews tend to be a bit skewed towards the people mad about RMA's, am I overthinking this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=110&f=7&sort=d1&page=1

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

• What are you using the system for? Multipurpose gaming, editing, developing
• If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Currently 1080p, but I'll likely pick up a 1440 or 4k when the right deal comes along.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($136.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: *GeIL SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $396.32)
Case: Aerocool DS-Cube Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($101.78 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $974.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-13 15:00 EDT-0400

Any last minute advice on this before I order the rest of it? I don't really know enough to differentiate between MOBO features. I imagine any of these http://pcpartpicker.com/products/co...rd-z170mmortar/ will be fine so long as I pick memory with the right matching speed. I really don't think I'll ever SLI.

pcpartpicker warns about the PSU being 3mm too big. I'll get a new one if I can't make this one fit.

A side note, the triple15 deal on Jet is pretty awesome.