Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I just bought a 970 in March. :( God loving dammit. Before I did I scoured the internet for a month looking for a hint of a release date on these things. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Carl Seitan posted:

I bought a GTX 970 three days ago and installed it today. Don't regret it one bit and I knew the Nvidia announcement was coming. I picked it up for ~$230 after the rebate and Dark Souls 3 looks amazing on maxed settings. I didn't feel like waiting a couple of weeks and I didn't want to spend another $150 over what I paid.

If I'd paid $230 in March I'd be fine with it too, but mine was like $320.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anybody notice any glaring problems with this list?

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($155.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($324.11 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Anker AK-98ANDS2368-BA Wired Laser Mouse
Speakers: Logitech Z323 30W 2.1ch Speakers ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Other: GTX 1070 ($379.00)
Other: HAVIT HV-KB366L ($69.59)
Total: $1430.64

I already have a PSU sitting on the shelf that I only bought last year. I chose that motherboard because I'll need wifi and bluetooth on this one, and it was a few bucks cheaper to get a mobo that had wifi/bluetooth built in than get separate cards for each. I'm particularly concerned about how that SSD fits in the mobo and the case, since I think it plugs directly in without an SATA cable or anything.

Also went with 16GB of RAM since that motherboard only has 2 slots, so if I got 2x4GB and decided to upgrade later I'd have to throw them away. Might as well start with more than I'll need.

*edited to change mobo to H170 since I'm not overclocking and RAM to DDR4-2133 for same.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 18, 2016

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you are going to go with an mITX motherboard you might as well go with a smaller case, what PSU do you have? If I know what PSU do you have I can make sure it would fit in a smaller case and suggest some alternatives for you. The m.2 SSD plugs into the back of the motherboard and lies flat against it, so it does not create any problems as far as fitting goes.

I went with an mITX board simply because of price, but I'm not opposed to a smaller case if it will fit the monster GTX 1070 inside. I have a huge case on my PC (the new one will be for the wife) and its GTX 970 barely fit with not a millimeter to spare.

The spare PSU I have is an EVGA 500 W1, but it was cheap and I'm not opposed to replacing it if there's something smaller/better at a reasonable price, so if you know of a nice mITX case that would fit the 1070, I'm all ears.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Cool! I really like that Fractal Design case (I did switch it to the window version though). The Silverstone SG13B looked a little intimidating.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I have a stupid question, and I'm not sure if it's thread-appropriate or not: is there any single piece of software that does a good job of monitoring resource consumption to help you figure out where your bottlenecks or part failures are? The values in Task Manager seem completely arbitrary. When I have issues and pull it up, it'll often report the 7.5gb of memory in use as 96% of what's available, even though I have 16gb installed (I multi-task a lot). Ditto for the CPU numbers

Microsoft actually has their own free better version and yet they continue to use the current task manager as the default.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If I'm getting my first 144hz monitor, and a GTX 1070 that can push way more than 60hz at 1080p... should I get one I know is great at $250, or shell out an extra $75 for a $325 one that has G-Sync?

*Edit: problem solved, the second doesn't have g-sync anyway. Derp.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
FWIW I'm not saying it's great advice but I've built at least six computers over the years and I've never used a static strap or anything else but the same tools I use on everything else. I've even used a magnetic screwdriver in a tight case where I couldn't get both hands in simultaneously. Never had a problem. I don't think they're as fragile as people think.

But if I was working on someone else's PC I'd be more careful.

Back in the day you had to really read the instructions and gently caress with jumpers and slaves and all that but nowadays you don't even really need to read the instructions if you have any competence at all because everything only fits together one way and usually Just Works.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 21, 2016

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

The hard and frustrating part of building a PC is not assembling it, it's figuring out what's wrong if it doesn't work.

That's tedious but usually just a process of elimination starting with the dumbest simplest thing possible ("Did I plug it in? Is the power switch on?"). Can't remember how many times I've had a heart attack with a PC I hosed with that wouldn't start until I noticed I'd hit the power switch on the PSU in the process. I remember one PC I built wouldn't boot until I had reseated every stick of RAM, even though I could swear they looked perfect before.

The only one I ever truly hosed up was when my screwdriver slipped and popped something that was apparently very important off the motherboard. Instant dead computer.

Josef bugman posted:

This is kind of the first thing I have ever built that wasn't primary colours and wouldn't be ruined by being popped in your mouth, so I am just a little bit on edge. The fact that I can't stop my hands wobbling like I have delerium freakin' tremens also isn't helping.

Oh and for some reason when I try and plug the cables into their respective slots they just keep falling out. Any advice to get them to stick? Its the PLED, HDMI and all that lot ones that just keep falling out.

Don't get frustrated. Just relax and walk away from it for a bit, then try again. Usually bits like that have a little catch that snaps in when it's fully seated.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright, I guess I'm sold, since it's only "Waiting" 1-2 weeks?

Is a brand new, top of the market card even going to fit in my budget?

Worst case scenario is you pick up the next level down (980Ti or 970) for over $100 less than you'd pay today.