Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought one like three weeks ago, after doing the same thing... :v: Well, it should still be good for 1080p for a long time right???

The 1070/1080 aren't going to be much use unless you're into 4K, VR, or pushing up to 60 fps with Ultra settings on the most intensive sandbox games like Witcher 3 (or past 60 on other titles). They're a big jump in performance, but right now most of that performance can only make itself known in a few small niches where gaming is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is minor enough so that I don't want to bother HoTS with it, but is anyone else familiar with a constant, quiet "chirping" sound coming from the general vicinity of their power supply? It's a very rapid pulse, almost "liquid" if that makes any sense. I just picked up on it now but I've had a stressful week so I dunno if it's always been there and I'm just especially annoyed by it tonight or if it's something to keep an eye on.

The PSU is a Corsair AX Series, AX760, 760 Watt, and less than a year old. Already popped the computer open and didn't see much in the way of dust or loose wires.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So my Corsair AX 750 sounds like it's giving up the ghost after less than a year (fan squeaks constantly, maybe the bearings are going). Have any comparable, silent units come out in the last year, or should I just get the same Corsair model?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I'd make use of the 7 year warranty. It's probably just a bad fan and not representative of the quality of the series of power supplies in general.

I don't have the original packaging anymore so I think I screwed myself on that front.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'll give that a try, then. Better than dropping $200 on a new model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So my Corsair AX 750

So, one other thing - after examining the casing I realized that I stupidly got my PSU models mixed up. The PSU in my machine is an EVGA Supernova 750 G1.

I did some poking around online and this model's apparently got a pretty lovely rep compared to the G2. Is that just enthusiast nitpicking, or would it be better to skip the RMA and replace the power supply entirely?

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 16, 2017