Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone have experience with mini-itx cases? I fancy going with the corsair 250D mentioned in the op, as apparently it supports a lot of full sized parts, and so the prospect of picking up my PC and moving it isn't a mammoth undertaking.

The Z170i i picked due to its mini itx form factor.

I'm planning on building now and using the integrated graphics until the gtx1070 is out soon. Does anyone know if the new cards any longer/bigger than the 970/80?

I'm going with a corsair RM650X, and 2x corsair dominator platinum 8GB sticks, and was thinking of getting a Noctua NH-U12S for cooling, as apparently the case supports up to 240mm radiators.

My question is: Should this all fit, and would the temps be bad for the graphics card in such a small case, or should I be okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks, before this I've always went with big cases, so this is new to me. I'll double check some stuff then go for it, hopefully blower versions of the 1070 aren't hard to come by when release rolls around.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Gonna have to drill a hole in my 250D to fit the corsair 1000i V2 sans bottom bracket due to the PS/2 Legacy being in the way of the bottom hose. I expected an issue like this when I checked compatibility beforehand, but it's exacerbated by the cpu connector being where it is on the z170i.

Case is designed for a regular h100i, but it seems not to be stocked anywhere anymore.

Build is fine otherwise and the temps are good even with the side door off due to the radiator being partially mounted at the moment.

Hopefully it's not any trouble getting a blower Gtx 1070 when it's released, assuming the other designs aren't adequate.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

Here's my 4 year old super budget PC specs I took from an old Techreport build guide. It's in need of an upgrade if I want to play Overwatch without having to turn my GPU fan speed up to 100% every time I play. I use Windows 7 now, but would use the free upgrade to 10 once I have all the new parts.

Keep in mind the upgrade offer ends 29th of July.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

Is Windows 10 a huge performance boost?

I think Windows 10 is slightly more efficient but I wouldn't call it a main reason to upgrade. Windows 7 is already getting a little long in the tooth, and though I'm sure it'll still keep getting support for a good while, In my opinion it's worth upgrading.

I previously was pretty against windows 10 because of some horror stories but I upgraded from 7, and after installing a free program to change the start menu back it's very similar, and I've had no problems. 7 is fine, but if you're getting the chance to go to 10 for free it's worth taking it since it's time limited.

Also, it's tied to your motherboard, so when/if you get your stuff, put a fresh windows 10 install on a USB Key/DVD and simply enter your windows 7 Key on the installation menu. Don't upgrade on your current machine.

Unless you're using niche programs/hardware that don't support windows 10 that is.