Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.69 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($308.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($89.91 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1096.49

I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase the above parts and get assembling. This will be my first computer assembly, and I'm bit nervous that I'll be completely out of my element once all the parts arrive. I've been looking at a bunch of video tutorials in preparation, but are there any "first time" recommendations or advice to give? I'm mostly worried about installing the CPU and the above network adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I seem to be at a loss, goons. Just built my first computer and can't seem to connect it to the internet while also using Windows 10.

Just bought a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo PCI Adapter for Desktop Computer - 802.11ac - Bluetooth 4.0 so I could put the computer in my office and not worry about running Ethernet cables everywhere. When I installed the drivers on Windows 10, nothing happened and it couldn't find the signal. After some troubleshooting I downgraded to my original 8.1, and now everything seems to work fine. My question is this: is there any way that I can upgrade to Windows 10 and still use this wireless adapter? There seem to be drivers available but I'm not sure how the process would work.