Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi thread, is this a good place to ask about KVM switches? I have never used one before but, after doing some research I feel like a KVM switch would be exactly what I need:
I will get to work from home two days a week by the end of the year. I have two monitors on my desk at home; I have three monitors at work. I have a docking station for my laptop at home. I would like to be able to swap between using my keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitors with as little hassle as possible

Therefore, is my conclusion that I should use a KVM switch a good one? And if so, could the thread recommend one for me? I did a search for them and there seems to be an astounding number of choices and I have no idea how to judge them. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hackan Slash posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

KVM Switch Question :words:
I was in a similar situation, with multiple monitors, a personal PC, and a work laptop.

I ended up getting a USB hub for the peripherals and an HDMI switch for the monitors. The two reasons for this were

1. It's MUCH cheaper

2. I can easily set various combinations of monitors rather than one or the other.
Good to know, thank you. So essentially you have two switches you have to flip instead of one but get the same result?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi thread, I am working on building my new PC.

• What country are you in? I am in the US
  • What are you using the system for? I am building this system for gaming
  • What's your budget? I only need the tower. I already have a brand new 1tb M.2 SSD, I will re-use my currently in-use 256 SSD, and also bring along my 2tb storage drive. I would like to spend around $1,500.00. I'm inclined to go Intel and I understand that Intels are more expensive. I want to have 16g's of RAM.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? n/a
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I have two Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H, Full HD 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz (I think that answers this question?)

A friend suggested I look at an Intel i7s but the OP's SA Performance Gamer suggests an i5. If I want to be able to run Warhammer Total War 2 (or eventually Total Warhmmer 3, which we do not know the specs of yet though it is expected to release next year), a browser with ~6 tabs, Discord, something playing music, and maybe occasionally stream a football game or movie while I play a game, should I spring for the i7, or will a good i5 do the trick?

Also, would I benefit from using the 256 not-M.2 SSD for Windows, Browsers, and Discord, then install all games on the 1tb M.2 SSD? Or am I over-thinking it?

edit: I was hoping to get stuff on sale, but I have the week of Thanksgiving off so I am thinking of getting it built by then. I also have the two weeks around Christmas off so if you guys know that something like Cyber Monday or whatever it is called will have huge discounts on the parts I want, I may decide to wait.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reposting for the new page:
Hi thread, I am working on building my new PC.

• What country are you in? I am in the US
  • What are you using the system for? I am building this system for gaming
  • What's your budget? I only need the tower. I already have a brand new 1tb M.2 SSD, I will re-use my currently in-use 256 SSD, and also bring along my 2tb storage drive. I would like to spend around $1,500.00. I'm inclined to go Intel and I understand that Intels are more expensive. I want to have 16g's of RAM.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? n/a
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I have two Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H, Full HD 1920 X 1080 at 60 Hz (I think that answers this question?)

A friend suggested I look at an Intel i7s but the OP's SA Performance Gamer suggests an i5. If I want to be able to run Warhammer Total War 2 (or eventually Total Warhmmer 3, which we do not know the specs of yet though it is expected to release next year), a browser with ~6 tabs, Discord, something playing music, and maybe occasionally stream a football game or movie while I play a game.... should I spring for the i7, or will a good i5 do the trick?

Also, would I benefit from using the 256 not-M.2 SSD for Windows, Browsers, and Discord, then install all games on the 1tb M.2 SSD? Or am I over-thinking it?

edit: I was hoping to get stuff on sale, but I have the week of Thanksgiving off so I am thinking of getting it built by then. I also have the two weeks around Christmas off so if you guys know that something like Cyber Monday or whatever it is called will have huge discounts on the parts I want, I may decide to wait.

Hackan Slash posted:

That post was from before the AMD 3600 released, which I think is pretty much the best value CPU. But in general I would say don't buy anything that's only 4 cores.
Interesting, thank you, I'll keep doing research.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeC posted:

The OP system guide is totally out of date and unusable.

Several questions, are you married to that monitor for the long term? 1080p @ 60hz is pretty much entry-level gaming these days and the GPU you need to power it is pretty modest for gaming on 1 screen. Or are you gaming on 2 screens? With respect to the CPU, if you want intel, the cheapest CPU I would advise is the 9700k. There have been reports that the i5 9600k has frame time delivery issues on a few titles probably due to a lack of cores and hyperthreading. The 9700k doesn't have hyperthreading either but it at least has 8 cores. New consoles late next year will have 8 cores AMD processors in them and 4-6 core CPUs without hyperthreading are in danger of being left behind due to cross-platform development on AAA titles. Hell, some people are saying a 6 core 12 thread CPUs is in danger of aging poorly in the near term. I think that is unlikely but we just don't know for sure atm. I am mentioning this because you want to play Warhammer and stream, with a browser, and have discord and poo poo open. You need cores and threads for that.

I haven't research Intel much since I decided on AMD early on when I built my system recently so here is a low effort first pass. Well under 1500 assuming one screen gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($233.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $914.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-08 18:44 EST-0500

I don't know the US market but people are saying don't expect big discounts on components, more likely on peripherals.
Thank you so much for this! Does the PCPartPicker fully account for CPU/Motherboard compatibility and power needs?

I am gaming on one screen; use the other for Discord and browser needs. I am not married to the monitor but I doubt I would notice much of a difference. I dont play any FPSs or care overly much about running things on MAXXX settings; I more prefer to have things run smoothly and quickly. For example, right now I have to run Seven Days to Die on minimum settings because it is poorly optimized and my current system is 5+ years old.

What would be the best option if I wanted to upgrade the CPU to have hyperthreading?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 9, 2019