Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paperfax
Oct 17, 2008
100% recycled material
Finally saved up the funds to replace my 8 year old PC. I looking to build a mid-range PC that can handle modern games.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming and general entertainment, web browsing, Office
What's your budget? $0-$1000 CAD max if possible. Lower is better, could be talked into going slightly over.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p. I'm not fussy about running everything at max settings.

I don't plan on overclocking.

From the OP and other posts I've pieced this together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($131.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($46.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($279.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $961.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 13:49 EDT-0400

Any obvious deficiencies/room for improvement? I picked the case pretty much at random. Would it be worthwhile to wait for the GTX 970 to go down in price? I'll have to replace my speakers soon too, and probably upgrade my mouse and keyboard, but those aren't urgent needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU