Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Is an upgrade from an overclocked i5-2500K worth it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Is this OK for a PSU?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153173

I'm trying to replace my PSU since my rig is five years old now but it's the holidays and i'm poor

The other one I'm seriously looking at is this one:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-supernova-750-b2-80-e6-97531.htm?affiliateid=7474144&promoid=1714

El Generico fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 25, 2016

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Can I go with the B2 instead of the G2?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You miss out on ~Gold~ efficiency, full modularity (as the B2 has 'fixed' system cabling) and two years of warranty, but yeah, you shouldn't have an issue. The Corsair RMx units come with a ten year warranty, though - so maybe look at it as spending a bit more in exchange for not having to buy a new PSU in five years?

With an i5 2500K, GTX 970, and a desire to upgrade my CPU and mobo when Cannonlake comes out, can I get away with 550W? I've been targeting 650W.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

CPUs and GPUs are only going to get more power efficient in the future (provided you stick with Intel and nVidia, though we don't know what Zen and Vega will be like), so yeah - PSUs lose efficiency over time, but if you're covered for ten years...

I've got pretty much your exact same system at the moment and under load I pull down ~350W (closer to 320, usually) according to my UPS.

OK. I'm going with the EVGA G2, though. 7 years is 2 more than I was getting before, and it's significantly cheaper and I'm poor.

Thanks a ton for the help! :)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

So, I really want to do GPU passthrough, since I really want to be in Linux Mint for most things and only in Windows 10 for games. I've got an i5-2500K at the moment, the problem being that the drat K series CPUs from this time don't have VT-d, which is a necessary feature for VFIO. I'm thinking about going up to the i7-3770, buying one used off of eBay, to get the multi-core speed boost and VT-d in one fell swoop. It's gonna be like $200 CAD shipped though.

I'm also considering going up from 8 GB 1600hz to 16 GB 2400hz (mostly because of a game modding habit).

Am I insane? Should I do something else?

EDIT: Should I go with i3-7100 and a new budget mobo instead?

El Generico fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 23, 2017

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Your PSU is past its warranty period, and your HDD is getting 6 years old now. Might want to look into those first.

Me? I already replaced those.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I'm guessing I'm gonna end up with an i3-8350K. If that's still $170 for an overclockable 4Ghz quad core, that'll finally be what gets me off my 2500K.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, is that 8350 actually going to be a current generation (not top end) i7 for i3 prices? :eyepop:

It's more analogous to an i5-7600K, since there's no hyperthreading. 4 cores, 4 threads. 8MB SmartCache, 4GHz base frequency.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

So, Canadian 8th gen prices leaked: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-retail-pricing,35266.html

Looks like pricing wise it'll be between Ryzen 5 1600 and i5-8600K for me.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Tremors posted:

This is what I got. It seems the gpu might be all that needs upgraded?

The 6GB 1060 will give you an 8.8.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Fuzz posted:

We should start a 2500k upgrade club. So many of us.

For me it was VR that tipped my hand finally. That and my old Gigabyte mobo starting to crap out.

I'm in this club too. I'm a huge poor though so I'm looking at the i3-8350K very closely.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Score: 9.1, seems pretty complimentary. Are you thinking of Techspot? https://www.techspot.com/review/1499-intel-core-i3-8100-i3-8350K/page5.html

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

So, is it really time to upgrade my i5-2500K yet? I've been thinking I really want to, but now that it's getting closer to 'parting with my money time', I'm not completely sure.

It seems a bit silly to buy 8GB more DDR3 RAM or go to the i7-3770 as a weird half step, but it's way cheaper.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I'm thinking seriously about going from i5-2500K to Ryzen 2600. How big of a jump in performance will this be? I game, stream, and edit video frequently.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With regards to editing video, you'll probably see a really big jump in performance. With regards to gaming, probably not as significant. There's only been about a 15-25% jump in IPC gains in CPUs since Sandy Bridge, and that's just taking into account *stock* speeds. When you overclock a 2500K to ~4.4-4.5Ghz and put it up against a 5Ghz 8700K in gaming, the 8700K is going to be about 25% faster, but you'll be hard-pressed to notice. Things will be smoother, sure, but that's it.

The Ryzen refresh is probably going to be comparable speed-wise to the 7th gen cores. They're still not 1:1 in single-core/gaming performance to the 8th gen Intels. Being able to use better/faster RAM on the 2nd gen Ryzens helps, but they still aren't uniform dies at the 6-and-8-core SKUs - they're still twin 4-core dies connected by "Infinity Fabric."

Right now Micro Center is selling the 8700K for $299, while the MSRP for the 2700X is supposed to be $329 - and all of them come with a cooler this time. Rumor has it that AMD is holding the 2800X in reserve because they want something to counter with if/when Intel releases the Z390/8-core CPUs. When that'll be, I haven't the slightest clue. =/

Are we still looking at the i5-8400 maybe being the better choice over the 2600? I'm not completely sure why, but I've never had it that easy getting stable, safe temps overclocking my 2500K, I've got an aftermarket cooler, a cheap but well reviewed one (CM Hyper T2), I'm on 4.3 GHz right now, it gets up to 80C under stress test. Looking to get better airflow going in my case, since aiming a desk fan at the CPU helps, but I don't think I won the silicon lottery on this thing. The crazy 5GHz stuff people can do seems totally impossible.

I also want more RAM, on 8 GB right now. I feel like getting more DDR3 is a bit dumb considering.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Well, I've decided to make the seemingly responsible decision and buy some more RAM and a nice cooler for my i5-2500K rig rather than replacing the mobo/RAM/CPU entirely, run it for another year at least.

I want to get a liquid cooler for my cheapo case, but there's no radiator mount for it. Should I get one of those 5.25" drive bay ones? Will the radiator mount on my case fan slots?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Anything wrong with this? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qCv3NQ

Upgrading from i5-2500K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Gaming mostly, bit of LPing/streaming, music production, programming. Budget is basically where I've got it.

So, like this? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zXvjRJ