Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm done waiting for Apple to update their computers so I've decided to build my own. I tried buying a powerful gaming laptop but just couldn't handle the bulkiness, build quality, price and Windows 10. :v:

My new plan is to buy a somewhat sensible desktop system now and upgrade to a 6 core LGA2066 Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X platform when it becomes available and supported in OS X. That should be in just over a year from now. It generally takes a few months for new platforms to become completely stable with a "hackintosh", so waiting for Kaby Lake and the new chipset doesn't seem to make much sense unless a 7600K becomes widely available at retail prices in the next weeks.

This would be my temporary machine until the new socket is out:

Country: Germany (I set pcpartpicker to USD for better comparison)
Budget: $2000
Specific Software: Mac OS X compatibility (as per this list), Photoshop, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, ffmpeg, casual gaming (Blizzard games)
Resolution: 3440x1440

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($314.93 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1069.86

I would OC the CPU to 4.2 Ghz. My plan is to sell the CPU, Cooler, MB, and RAM in a year and keep the rest. If these parts fetch half of the price paid I'll be content. Kaby Lake-X has a rumored TDP of 112W which is why the PSU is a bit oversized. The GPU isn't supported yet but should be in the next few weeks.

Does this seem reasonable or are there massive savings to be had with an older CPU/Platform or buying used? I thought about buying a i5-6400 over a i5-6600K but the price difference is fairly small, OCing gives me decent extra performance and the K cpu will probably be easier to resell.

I wouldn't mind sacrificing 15% performance for ~40% in savings because there's zero need to "future proof" but browsing ebay it seems like all the older CPUs/MBs held their shockingly well. No surprise as the improvements are so small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm going to buy a graphics card to play around with steam in-home streaming on my "NAS" and/or perhaps as an eGPU on my MBP, depending which solution works best. Mostly in 1080p but ideally 2880x1800, both old and new titles. If either of the solutions works out I'm going to sell the card and upgrade when Volta comes out.

Do you guys think a 1060 6GB ($300) is worth it over a 1050ti ($200)? That's converted from local EU pricing with taxes etc.

eames
May 9, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For that higher resolution, you definitely want the 1060. It's win-win - at the higher resolution you might have to compromise some eye candy, but at 60Hz 1080p the 1060 will handle anything you can throw at it.

The 1050Ti is honestly the best "add it to a pre-built" card.

Following up on this the GTX1060-6GB was definitely the right choice. Most games run at 2880x1800/Ultra/60FPS and streaming works perfectly fine with 20-30ms delay. (i.e. Project Cars, Overwatch, Rocket League, Dota 2, Bioshock Infinite)

Witcher 3 runs at 2880x1800/High/45FPS with Hairworks off and if that's representative for games of the future, I kind of makes me wish I would have bought a 1070. Witcher 3 is also the only game that takes a 10% performance hit from streaming with hardware encoding.

eames
May 9, 2009

Khablam posted:

On top of that, games are almost always cross platform; this generation of consoles have so-so GPUs but garbage CPUs. Any AAA games that have a game-world requiring massive CPU power therefore haven't come along.

Very true and it's perhaps worth mentioning that the hyped Xbox Scropio "4K console" looks like it will use the same Jaguar cores as the PS4/Xbox One only at a higher clockspeed. There probably won't be a big jump in CPU performance requirements until the next gen consoles are out (Zen APU, 2019+)

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd say it depends on what games you play. If you only play at 1080p and only play lightweight titles like Blizzard games or Rocket League then the 3GB should be perfectly ok in your case. You'll even be able to play most newer games as long as you are willing to lose some "free" image quality from lower resolution textures.

If you expect to play recent and future titles at high settings or even a higher resolution don't take the 3GB.

Rise of the Tomb Raider at "Very High" texture detail uses ~5.6GB on my 1060-6GB at 1080p. "High" tops out at exactly 3GB. "Very High" at 1440p makes the game crash because it swaps textures into system RAM and the game runs out of memory. :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

Angelwolf posted:

Can someone tell me the difference between full size graphics cards and mini sized graphics cards?

I'm looking at a 6gb GTX 1060 and the mini is cheaper but I'm not sure why?

What card are you looking at?

The 1060 reference PCB is very short so many manufacturers sell the cards as "mini" even though they're really reference boards with smaller coolers that fit the PCB.

The basic EVGA 1060 has a terrible all-aluminum cooler similar to the intel boxed coolers and should be avoided. The EVGA 1060 SC is the same size but with a much better heatpipe cooler. I believe both are based on the reference board design.

pictured: reference 1060 with blower cooler

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

quick google research suggests that the large one has a single heatpipe while the small one has two direct-contact heatpipes. Temperatures seem very solid. I'd save the money and take the mini.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sanity check: I'm running a 3 VMs + a handful of Docker containers on a Xeon e3-1225v3 (i5-4570 equivalent - 4C/4T, 3.2/3.6 Ghz) but the little machine runs out of steam when I play Civ6 and there's a plex transcode in the background. DDR3-1600 Mhz RAM isn't helping either but I like ECC.

Do you think it would make sense to spend $270 on a e3-1271v3 (~i7-6700 performance - 4C/8T, 3.6/4.0 Ghz) or should I save the money towards a new build, perhaps Ryzen based?

I'm limited to Xeon Haswell CPUs and upgrading beyond that would mean building a new system because PSU and fans are proprietary and the case has terrible airflow.

eames
May 9, 2009

The website specifically states that this model allows GPU upgrades up to 225W (460W PSU with two PCIe six pin connectors but verify that before you buy).
I bought a Dell Haswell machine for less than what its CPU retails for and am pretty pleased with it. Don't expect miracles they're pretty solid machines for the right price.
It is going to be very hard to build a system with similar quality parts from scratch at those low budget prices.

eames fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 6, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not specifically build-related but someone might have an idea:

Is there any reason playing steam games on a MacBook Pro by way of an adequate gaming PC hooked up over gigabit Ethernet would have problems somewhere? Assuming everything is wired gigabit Ethernet and the MacBook Pro can handle it.

I'm curious if there would be issues with differences in pixel densities / resolution of the monitor, or some OS-specific reason the Windows-to-macOS translation wouldn't work.

Works fine, the only downside is display lag. I find that I get about 35ms delay at 2880x1800/60fps over Gigabit and 40ms over 802.11ac. Most of the delay appears to be from decoding so the connection doesn't matter as much as you'd think.
My 8 year old NEC 27" LCD has 30ms input lag so I don't really notice much of a difference, not even in Overwatch.

Valve doesn't seem to do a whole lot of development around inhome streaming anymore so there are some bugs without workarounds but it works great on the right hardware and most games.

eames
May 9, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Could I get more information on this? I finally have a (Windows 10) machine capable of 1080x60 gaming, and I was going to use it to stream to my (Windows 10) laptop.

A recent Nvidia card — Maxwell or newer — is strongly recommended for low latency hardware acceleration.
AMD cards used to work but a driver update broke hardware acceleration a long time ago (18 months?) and neither AMD nor Steam has fixed it.
Major bugs with Nvidia GPUs usually get a driver hotfix within a week.

Games that are available on steam generally work perfectly fine. Blizzard titles work too, except for World of Warcraft which has a bug that makes the mouse cursor jump around. I haven't had much luck getting more recent EA titles on Origin to work. BF1 sort of works but with extremely high input lag because it doesn't support the native capture method.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW I regularly see used GTX1080s on local classifieds for less than 400€, certainly overkill for 1080p but the GTX1070 is in a bit of an odd spot after the price drops.

eames
May 9, 2009

Don't skimp on the RAM, you'll want some really, really fast sticks for those framerates. Otherwise you'll be stuck at 50% CPU and 50% GPU utilisation without a frame rate cap, wondering where the bottleneck is. (been there done that)

eames
May 9, 2009

Yes, Ryzen is a decent choice for gaming unless you're looking to squeeze the last 10 FPS out of your super high refresh rate monitor or you're playing a lot of older single-threaded games.
If you're dealing with a lot of VMs, rendering or other multithreaded production apps then the additional cores make it a superior overall package compared to a 4C/8T i7.

eames
May 9, 2009

The 3GB version is fine for 1080p and e-sport games. Take the 6GB version if you plan to play AAA games and/or keep the card a few years, it has more shaders (= performance).

I can't speak for OCZ but the Sandisk Extreme line is a good and reliable budget SSD option.

eames
May 9, 2009

Q_res posted:

For what it's worth, to save money I transferred over my 6GB 1060 from my last computer to my new system (7700k, 16GB DDR4-3000) and I've had success with using it at 1440p. No I can't max out absolutely everything, but I can get 60fps while only turning down ancillary settings and AA in pretty much every game. I'd say the most recent and graphically challenging game I've been running is probably new DOOM, just for reference.

So, yeah, I'd say you'd be just fine with a 1060.

seconded, I upgraded to 1440p and the 6GB 1060 still holds up fine. Some AAA titles (Witcher 3, Tomb Raider) dip to 45 FPS but still look OK with Gsync. Overwatch runs around 135 FPS average with low settings.

eames
May 9, 2009

It'll be absolutely fine, the only downside is that it draw a few watts more than a smaller PSU would because it is running at the very bottom end its efficiency range.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm stuck with a Dell T20 (3.2 Ghz Haswell, proprietary PSU, no physical space for GPU upgrades beyond a 1060) that was never intended to be used a desktop. Based on the MSI comments I am seriously considering a 7700K system even though we're so late in the cycle.

Ryzen is good value but immature, a IPC/frequency sidegrade and I don't have much use for more than four — perhaps six — cores at this point. Threadripper is going to be more of the same.
7820X seems to have the best of both worlds but the platform is an expensive mess and the CPU doubles a furnace, not to mention the toothpaste TIM.
An delidded/OCed 7700K on Z270 should give me a solid 50% single thread upgrade and should last me until Intel brings 8C/16T to the consumer platforms. :sigh:

eames
May 9, 2009

Arivia posted:

So Intel's new boards can catch themselves and the CPUs in them on fire. And Vega has shipped already burning, pretty much.

They'd probably make a good PC together, you'd just have to keep it in one of those houses firefighters build to practice on.

Keep in mind that Apple is planning to use both of these chips in their iMac Pro, a form factor originally designed to cool low TDP mobile chips. It's gonna be glorious.

eames
May 9, 2009

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Ryzen vs i5 stuff

I wouldn't recommend a 4 Core / 4 Thread CPU at this point, certainly not for somebody who dabbles in video rendering and AAA games at 60Hz.

If you need to buy now and don't mind dealing with some bugs/frequent BIOS updates then the overclocked R5-1600 with a B350 board looks like a solid choice. It will likely age more gracefully than the i5 and as a bonus you get a socket that *should* be good for the next 1-2 Zen refreshes.

I wouldn't expect Ryzen to magically become faster over time, at best we'll see bug fixes for certain game engines and improved threading that'll favour the higher core/thread count of Ryzen and perhaps even punish the 4C/4T i5.

Intel's 6C/12T Coffee Lake will be out anywhere between August 2017 and March 2018. That'd potentially suit you even better, particularly if you're going to buy a new GPU and high refresh rate screen in the future.

eames
May 9, 2009

B-Mac posted:

Can anyone give me a case recommendation? My MSI 1080ti Gaming X is getting pretty warm compared to site and user reviews and I think it's my case airflow. I have a corsair 200r with 2 intake (SP120 x 2), 2 exhaust (Noctua NF12 x 2) and with the side panel on the cad will see 80+C depending on the voltage. If I pop the panel off it will drop 5-10C I'm think the heat is getting trapped and no exhausted. I like the plain look of the 200r and prefer no LED gamer poo poo if possible. I should also mention my mobo is full sized ATX Oddly enough my old 7970 and Fury didn't have these heat issues.

Thanks.

The Fractal Design Define S is a relatively plain looking case with a good reputation for airflow because it has no drive cages.

eames
May 9, 2009

Looking at this I'd say there's a good chance that it'll work.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd use a Ryzen R5 1600/Asrock B350 mini-ITX with ac* for that build, swap the 960 Evo for a 850 Evo and put the money saved into quality PC-3200 CL14 RAM.

The price would be about the same but you'd get 6 cores/12 threads instead of 4 cores/4 threads. Faster RAM would likely net you more tangible benefits in gaming than a NVMe drive. You could also overclock it as far as the stock cooler/small case allows.

YMMV, there's nothing wrong with your current list except for the crazy graphics card prices.

* available "soon"

eames
May 9, 2009

OP could use a little update regarding CPUs and core counts.
Most newer games make use of more than 4 threads and something like the i5-7500 is pretty bad value compared to a boxed 1600/1700 at this point, certainly after accounting for overclocking. AMDs intent to support AM4 until 2020 is also a factor.

I am under the impression that the 7700K and G4560 are the only Intel CPUs that make sense until Coffee Lake is out.

edit: v i wrote the wrong model number

eames fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 10, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

You know, Facebook these days is probably harder on the CPU than Doom at 4K. :thunk:

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

And in exchange for that $200-250 extra you get a system that's 33% faster at single-threaded performance and matches the Ryzen 1700 in multi-threaded performance. Again, that's 5+ years of IPC/process improvements nowadays, which is nothing to sneer at. People spend hundreds of dollars on GPUs trying to squeeze out an extra 30% performance. And single-threaded performance is still the best proxy for expected framerate, assuming a reasonable degree of multi-threaded brawn.

A 7700K is 1% slower than the 7900X and the 1600X is 3% slower than the 7800X (1080p across eight current games including well-threaded titles like BF1 and TR).
Then there's the cost, the fact that delidding is required but voids warranty, VRMs overheating or "phantom throttling", bad M.2 performance, high power consumption/bad thermals, etc.

The high synthetic single core performance doesn't translate into FPS due to L3 cache latency/size and the mesh architecture. Just like with Ryzen SL-X performance does improve with memory and mesh overclocking so you'll want just fast RAM for that.

X299 is simply a trainwreck for gaming at the moment. I hope the 6C/12T Coffee Lake parts are good because those could turn out to be the best gaming CPUs for years to come.
Ryzen is lacking in that department due to clockspeed, Cannon Lake/Tiger Lake will focus on the new process, lower power draw and Intel's version of "infinity fabric" so there's a very realistic chance that they won't clock as high as the refined 14nm++ CFL parts.

eames
May 9, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

did a fix ever come out for 7700k temperature spikes? I just built a new pc and my idle is fine like 40c but it spikes up to 70c while doing nothing which ramps up my fans for second every couple of seconds. Super annoying. I can set the fans at a constant speed which would fix the sound by introducing more sound.

People report that delidding and better cooling helps. I personally find that hard to believe as the whole Die + IHS + Heatsink combo should have too much thermal inertia to spike up 30-40°C and back down within a second. AFAIK not even full AVX load does that.

eames
May 9, 2009

SLI generally has issues with frame pacing and any stuttering will ruin your VR experience.
Buy a Pascal card if you find a good deal and need it right now or wait until Volta is out if you don't mind waiting a bit longer (September).

eames
May 9, 2009

mistermojo posted:

I'm also getting a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and matching a videocard to it is confusing. From what I understand, even a 1080TI won't be getting 144hz on the latest games but that's sort of irrelevant because of gsync. So then what's the sweet spot, a 1070 or 1080?

Depends on the games you play. A 1060-6GB is the absolute minimum for lightweight e-sports games, a 1070 will do around 60-70 FPS in AAA games like Witcher 3 and a 1080 is kind of the best value for money right now due to inflated GPU prices from mining. Volta should be out in a few months/weeks though, I suggest you wait for that.

eames
May 9, 2009

I can't think of a good reason why you'd want a new 6700K over a 7700K unless you already have the CPU? Not to mention Coffee Lake is around the corner and will bring some interesting i5 CPUs in a few weeks.

If you have a 60 Hz screen and you're really going to keep the system for 4-5 years then Ryzen is also worth looking into, in your case a R5 1600 or even R7 1700 paired with a B350 motherboard. The included boxed cooler is good up to 3.7-3.8 Ghz and you'll be able to upgrade to new CPUs until 2020.

Regarding the graphics card, 1060-6GB should be ok for 1080p/60Hz over that timeframe but it'd make more sense to buy a cheaper (non-Asus) 1060-6GB card now and use the saved money to upgrade to another low-mid range card in two years. Future proofing doesn't make much sense because GPUs are still seeing big performance increases.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 2, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

The 6700K over the 7700K mainly for the price difference to stay in the 1200€. Looking at the Ryzen R7 it doesn't seem I can save much cash, they are basically the same price and the 6700K looks more powerful. Maybe the R6 1600? You say it comes with the cooler, so I can skip the Corsair cooler?

The 7700K is only 20€ more and should overclock a bit higher on average but it has some odd temperature spike issues so I'm not going to talk you out of Skylake. Waiting for Coffee Lake is the right move though. :shobon:

AMD's R7 R1700 comes with a better cooler than the R5 1600, but the 1600 also has lower heat output due to the core count. You should be ok up to 3.7-3.8 Ghz with with either CPU and Stock cooler unless you're very unlucky.

RattiRatto posted:

The cheaper I can go for a non-ASUS 1060 chip is 10€ less, not such a striking difference. I'll definitely do more research on it tough

Yeah then my statement was wrong. Definitely go with the Asus, I wasn't aware that the recent GPU price inflation shrunk the difference between "cheap" (Zotac/EVGA Mini) and "high end" (Asus) cards. I bought my EVGA 1060-6GB Mini for just 260€ last year but even those are in the 300€ range now.

RattiRatto posted:

So what about this:

The switching to AMD saves me 200€ mainly from the removal of the cooler. If I have to change it again at half life expectancy, is it worth? Thanks for the help so far

Looks good. I personally would choose that over a new 6700K build for a new PC that should last 4-5 years. Still, I'd wait for Coffee Lake. Intel's Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake CPUs are faster than Ryzen in the vast majority of games.
The general expectation is that future games will scale better with more cores/threads which should help Ryzen CPUs close the gap, but "future proofing" for something that may or may not happen is a bad idea.

That's why Coffee Lake will likely be the best choice for gaming — with some luck it'll deliver high frequencies close to the 6700K/7700K with the added bonus of two extra cores.

PS: Ryzen gaming performance improves with fast (DDR4-3200+) RAM but tends to can be finicky so check the motherboard's compatibility list.

eames
May 9, 2009

Gamescom is the rumored launch event (22.-26. August)

eames
May 9, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

This is me and probably several other posters here. 8700k looks very seductive, but then there is the fear that Cannonlake might be much better and with better long-term support. Sigh.

It's not even clear wether or not Cannonlake is coming to the desktop at all. If it does there's a good chance that it'll be a worse overclocker than Coffee Lake because of the new process and focus on EMIB + low-end power consumption.

eames
May 9, 2009

Gamer's Nexus being useful as always, love that channel. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oRLSotvcpA

4.9 Ghz 7700K vs 3.9 Ghz R7 1700 gaming benchmarks at 144Hz with a 1080ti

7700K is still faster in high FPS gaming

eames
May 9, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

gently caress. Any suggestions on what I can try to remedy the situation?

what type of paste was it? conductive or non conductive?

eames
May 9, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Arctic silver 5 which apparently is not electrically conductive: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

artcticsilver.com posted:

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

:(

eames
May 9, 2009

GutBomb posted:

If it really is just for overwatch that's not a very demanding game and you could get a refurbished HP prebuilt and stick an nvidia 1050TI and some extra RAM in it for at most $500 and call it a day.

Seconded, although I'd suggest a 1060-6GB and a 144 Hz screen.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Gigabyte is a good motherboard but it has a bug where it sometimes won't turn on until you remove the CMOS battery for half an hour. Google for "Gigabyte softbrick". Decent hardware let down by the BIOS/UEFI.

eames
May 9, 2009

Echoing what the others said, a 7600K is a bad idea at this point and the OP is outdated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

or maybe put the old OP in a shared/wiki-style google doc so all of the above can edit it? (bad idea?)