Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I, too, am looking to upgrade my now 7 year old computer. The gpu is only 2.5 years old at least but I've been hitting the ceiling on my RAM lately while trying to game and watch movies or youtube on my other monitor so I want to get at least 8-12 gigs going. My current specs are below:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz 54 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 530MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
EVGA 141-BL-E757 (Socket 423) 36 °C
Graphics
ASUS VE276 (1920x1080@60Hz)
BenQ G2400W (1920x1200@59Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 53 °C
Storage

149GB INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC ATA Device (SSD)

Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 Y ATA Device
ATAPI iHAS124 Y ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

And the RAM specifically:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 6
Used memory slots 3
Free memory slots 3
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 6144 MBytes
Channels # Triple
DRAM Frequency 530.6 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 38 %
Total Physical 5.99 GB
Available Physical 3.67 GB
Total Virtual 12 GB
Available Virtual 8.48 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 3
Slot #1
Slot #2
Slot #3

Would it make sense to buy 3 more sticks to poz every hole to get 12 gigs total or am I better off just buying 3 x 4gb sticks that are completely new? I'm mainly concerned with loving up and buying the wrong 3 x 2gb sticks or having every slot occupied screwing up something.

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Khablam posted:

It doesn't - unless you have no budget for the foreseeable future, saving for a rebuild is where you want to go. If RAM is your issue, and I doubt it, you'll fix it only to hit CPU issues.
The 930's single-thread performance is poor in 2017, losing by 40-50% against a $75 pentium chip.
That's going to prevent smooth performance in modern titles.
Maybe you can find a cheap 975?

Would a cheap 975 work with my motherboard or would I need a new motherboard too? My current computer isn't that bad for my needs but it does bog down in some multi tasking situations and I'm just looking for a good opportunity to loosen a bottleneck for cheap if possible. When I check my performance monitor my memory is usually the constraint but my cpu cores don't ever seem that maxed out.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
https://slickdeals.net/?adobeRef=4d...3Fsdsrc%3Dstaff

Word on the street is that this will be discounted to $1,399 on prime day and it seems like a decent deal when I plugged in similar specs into PC parts picker. The main drawbacks I see is that the processor might not be as top of the line as the GPU and some reviews say that it's a little loud with fan noise.

I was actually planning on waiting to black friday/cyber monday later this year to build a new computer but I guess I wouldn't pass a good deal on a prebuilt system if opportunity knocks. I mainly just want something decent below $1,500 to play modern games on whatever new monitor I also pick up along the way, probably something 4k. Are there any big hardware paradigm shifts expected between now and the next 6 months I guess?

My current computer was like 2 grand from digital storm that I picked up 9 years ago and only got a new gpu and some extra ram along the way and I'd love to get another set up that lasts this long again!

Any thoughts?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Ugh I was going to wait until black Friday to make my move on components for a new pc but I just got a camelcamelcamel alert that the 3700x just went on sale from 329 to 309 on Amazon. What are the odds it will dip even further late this month?

I want to pair it with a gtx 2070 super and one of these fancy new pcie ssd's to replace my 9.5 year old computer. Speaking of which it just poo poo the bed and I'll have to reinstall windows this weekend, otherwise I'd post a pc parts picker list but I'm posting from my phone for now :v:

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 9, 2019

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you have a Micro Center even remotely close to you, their price on a 3700X is $319.99, and they have a $30 bundle deal when you buy a motherboard from them.

Fake edit: Wait, you're talking CanuckBux, I think/hope.

Oops I meant to say the 3700x, and it's USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

adebisi lives posted:

Ugh I was going to wait until black Friday to make my move on components for a new pc but I just got a camelcamelcamel alert that the 3700x just went on sale from 329 to 309 on Amazon. What are the odds it will dip even further late this month?

I want to pair it with a gtx 2070 super and one of these fancy new pcie ssd's to replace my 9.5 year old computer. Speaking of which it just poo poo the bed and I'll have to reinstall windows this weekend, otherwise I'd post a pc parts picker list but I'm posting from my phone for now :v:

Okay got my current computer maybe fixed for now so here we go:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Mostly gaming, also browsing, movie watching, other low intensity stuff.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. I'm shooting for around ~1500, not including a possible monitor purchase on black friday.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - my current monitors are also 10 year old cheap widescreen LCD's. I'm planning on replacing the lousier of the two with a fancy 2560 ultrawide curved thing if i can find a good deal for one under $500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $1427.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 16:31 EST-0500

I'm curious to see if this seems like a decent match of CPU/GPU for the money. I know the Intel 9700 has a marginal advantage in gaming over the 3700x but I'm thinking long term it'll be a good idea to have the extra threads and multi-tasking performance. I'd love it if this new build could be make it as long as my current system has. I'm also curious about the best bang for the buck on a 1 tb PCIE ssd for OS and games. The memory and PSU are also things I'm not entirely sure about. Any thoughts? I'd love to try to get some deals on some components during black friday.