Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
hello friends. i have been hemming and hawing about building a new pc for a while and i figured i might as well just rip off the bandaid.
I don't really know much about hardware wrt gaming so some things in this post might sound silly to you all, please forgive me

here is my current pc thats just kind of a hodgepodge ive been throwing new parts into for a couple years:

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 19:17 EDT-0400

I'm planning on using it mostly for gaming. but as for what im trying to get out of it, I've been playing fallout 4 and overwatch. i can get them to run currently, but just barely. I'm just looking to build something that can at least run those well at even low-med settings. also, its gonna be hooked up to a1920x1080 TV.

I was thinking about cannibalizing whatever i could from my old one if its acceptable. definitely my BD drive it's brand new and i do use it, possibly my gpu, psu or memory??? depending on what y'all think, I'm flexible.

My current case is pretty big (but I don't really know how big gaming pc cases usually are so maybe its a more normal size) so i would like to get something a little smaller but I'm not really looking to make it tiny or anything, just downsize a little bit.

I know there's no such thing as futureproofing, but I'm at least lookin to make something that'll keep me afloat maybe a few years until I feel like upgrading again.

I don't personally care about an SSD, and I've never used one, but the OP makes it sound pretty crucial. If it really is so important I can mull it over, but I was thinking about just getting a 2tb HDD or something because I'd rather just have one drive for everything and 1tb SSDs are a little on the more expensive side from what I see.
On this same note, I had used Acronis when I got a new HDD before and I was wondering if it would be okay to use from Old PC-> New PC. I know fresh installs are great but I just like having everything I had, where I had it y'know.

I'm in the US and ideally I'd like to keep it sub-$1000.

Sorry if this post is all over the place I typed it over a couple hours just putting in things as I thought of them. I will try and answer any questions to the best of my ability.
I look forward to trying to figure all this out with you fine folk

sincerely,
me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You can keep the video card and blu-ray player, everything else needs to be replaced. An upgrade to the video card would be a good idea but new video cards are coming out right now so prices are in flux so it's probably a good idea to wait on that, plus the 750ti is still a decent card for low-medium settings when paired with modern parts. You really should get an SSD, it's a huge performance increase, easily the biggest performance boost available for non-gaming use. Anyway, here's a spec to look over:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($226.32 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.67 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $664.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 21:06 EDT-0400

That leaves plenty of room in your budget to get a better video card over the next few weeks, people are already offloading their 980tis for ~$310 so if you get a used card you could have a system capable of maxing everything out in any game for under 1k total.

This sounds good my dude, thanks much. I will hold off on a new gpu for now and maybe set up a pricewatch for a 980ti and see how that goes.
Will I need to get any extra fans or whatnot or are the ones that come in the case sufficient?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

Could I substitute in Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory instead? for no other reason than those Kingston sticks on Amazon say they won't ship for 2-3 weeks and the Crucial ones are available now

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

Got my pc built and running day before yesterday and everything seems great so far.

Only ran into a couple snags during setup:
I was using a bootable thumbdrive for installation but apparently the Win7 iso doesn't have usb 3.0 drivers and my pc only had usb 3.0 ports so it was throwing up a no installation disc/drive error, luckily I found a program solely for injecting usb 3.0 drivers into a bootable Win7 image and it worked perfectly.
Later, after some windows updates, windows update updated itself then promptly searched for updates for 3 hours before queueing up 200+ updates and breaking. Couldn't download or install any updates with it. Tried a handful of solutions i saw from others with the issue and it eventually started working again.

But anyway, wanted to say thanks to AVeryLargeRadish for the parts list and gettin the ball rolling