Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010
What country are you in? Australia

What are you using the system for?
Ideally, I'm looking for something that's spec'd for music production and, to a lesser extent, professional use (non-intensive experiment prototyping and data analysis with Matlab/R). I'm no gamer and it's quite likely that this machine will never be used for games but friends have advised me that the strengths found in affordable, non-overclocked gaming builds tend to crossover to music production. My music is sample-heavy rather than VST-based so intense CPU-loads are less of a concern for me than they might be for other musicians. I also record my vinyl collection so extra storage wouldn't hurt.

This is shaping up to be my first build. I've had a passive interest in building a PC for some time but friends have had issues in the past (cutting corners on cheap components) which has left me hesitant. The prebuilt systems at PCCaseGear have fairly close specs to what I've listed below so I've been very tempted to pay the premium for piece of mind but figured I'd gauge the forums' opinions on my hypothetical build before making a decision. I didn't come across any obvious non-gamer music builds when searching the forums so this might serve some future posters too.

What's your budget?
Around the AUD$1500 mark but I'm flexible. That's made up of ~AUD$1000 in grant-funding for precisely this purpose so only money above that mark is worth deliberating over. I'm lacking a monitor so that'll need to be included. A second monitor may be on the horizon but don't need to consider it here.

I put together a hypothetical build below based on advice from the OP and general comments on music builds around the net. To constrain the choices I selected from a single local supplier. I'd prefer not to cobble together pieces from a bunch of different places but happy to be advised otherwise if there's a huge advantage to doing so.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($145.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($239.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Monitor: BenQ EW2440L 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1511.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-06 15:08 AEST+1000

Cheers for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A few changes I would make:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($49.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($125.00 @ CPL Online)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($222.00 @ PLE Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ PLE Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($137.00 @ Umart)
Monitor: Asus VC239H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($179.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1484.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-06 16:25 AEST+1000

1) I changed out the RAM for something a bit cheaper, it's the same speed so it does not really matter.
2) I changed out the Define R4 for the R5 which is a much improved newer version, it has too many improvements to list but the big ones you should care about are that it is easier to build in, it is quieter and it has better cooling which also contributes to more quiet operation because the other parts don't need to ramp up the fans as much, I think it's well worth the extra money.
3) I changed the PSU for a better one, it has a longer warranty and higher capacity for a little less money.
4) I changed the monitor for an IPS one, this will be useful both because the image quality is better and if you need to have someone else looking at the screen along with you for work the wide viewing angles will help them see what you are showing them much better than on a TN screen. Also better image quality leads to less eye strain in general.

Legend, thanks for the input

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

The R5 is a good case but it isn't worth the crazy premium that all fractal design cases have in Aus. With the money saved going for a Phanteks P400s or Enthoo Pro M you can fit in a 960/380, which is a large upgrade.

Thanks for the comment, I'll have to give it some thought - I'm not especially attached to the Fractal Design cases but they did seem to pop up in music rig discussions. Re: GPU upgrade, although it'd be nice to know the potential is there I'm doubtful I'll need the extra oomph for my current purposes.

Certainly a possible upgrade in the future if my mind changes.

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Is that really going to help for a music production machine where I would assume quiet operation is very important? I did not want to assume that they were using closed headphones vs open ones or studio monitors so I figured building towards quiet operation was more important than the video card for GPU accelerated math or something.

That's basically the situation, any intensive work that will benefit from the GPU acceleration wont be performed at home. I'm no professional musician so silent operation isn't critical but quieter is certainly better.

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010

Jack Forge posted:

Should he think about a dedicated sound card? Or did he already have that?

I don't have one but happy to hear about suggestions for the sake of others reading later.

Realistically, music is a hobby and the acoustics of the room are pretty average so it's likely an unnecessary expense in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Amen Break
Jan 14, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you do end up wanting one I'd recommend the Asus Xonar DGX, it's got very good sound quality and in particular is good for headphones, it's also pretty cheap.

Thanks again, local store had these for AUD$49 so grabbed one this morning along with many of the other bits. Decided on the Fractal Design case if only because that's one of the few component categories that seems to be semi-future-proof.