Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So I guess I'll try one more time:

quote:

I'm wanting to make a small mini-itx Plex/file server, so I've put together this preliminary build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($58.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Intel BXTS15A CPU Cooler ($27.97 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI H170I Pro AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($102.40 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $491.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-30 22:15 EDT-0400

Since there aren't going to be many concurrent plex transcodes/streams I felt i didn't need a super powerful processor, and I'm going to add hard drives when i need them (I have one 2gb that'd id move over. The reason I added that SSD is for the OS so I don't have to partition space on a 3.5" or take up one of the limited sata ports for a 2.5" ssd. I know there are only four ports on that board, but I figured if I ever got to the point where I needed a 5th hard drive I could upgrade the size of one already there or add in a pcie sata card. For the case, I'm considering either that bitfenix (which I love the look of) or a node 804 (which I also love and use for my main PC). I plan on just having linux so no windows needed. Does anyone have any advice on whether the pentium is "good enough", the SSD is unecessary, or anything like that?

e: Also, should I consider a 750ti or 950 for GPU assisted encoding or would that only work for windows and/or decoding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Kintamarama posted:

NAS/servers might not be a forte of anyone in here, so that's probably why you haven't got any replies yet. In any case there is a NAS/Server thread thread if you don't get the help your looking for in here.

I'll throw in my two cents anyhow, but you can install the NAS's OS on a USB stick, you shouldn't need to get an SSD. And if all you are doing is serving media to a HTPC/WDTV/Smart TV or Blu-ray with MKV support, then there will be no actual encoding happening, and you can go with pretty much the cheapest CPU/motherboard (with the SATA ports you need) you can get your hands on. If you are only going to encode one stream though, that Pentium will be more than enough, in fact it could probably handle two 1080p streams.

Thank you! I somehow missed that thread... And yeah I found a usb header to port adapter I can just stick a flash drive on so I can keep everything internal and switched to a g3258 setup that I can overclock if needed. Cheaper too!