Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I keep putting off replacing my CPU for longer and longer!

I'm on a small budget and looking at i3-6100 vs i5-4590.

They seem to benchmark similar in single core. I do a lot of gaming at 1080p, mostly MMOs and soon, Overwatch, and I'm not sure how much those give a poo poo about having more cores. Can you guys help sell me on saving $50 and getting the i3?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HMS Boromir posted:

I've heard that MMOs are CPU heavy but I haven't played one in a while so I'm not sure I can help you decide between an i3 and an i5.

What I can do is tell you not to buy either of those. I think the choice that makes more sense is i3-6100 vs i5-6500. The 6300 is a negligible improvement over the 6100 and if you're trying to save money you might as well get the latter. Meanwhile the 4590 has been replaced by the 6500, and while it won't really perform noticeably better, there's no reason to buy an older processor unless you're getting a good deal on a used one or already have a motherboard with the right socket and are going from an i3 to an i5 or something.
Whoops typoed, I meant the 6100. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I didn't realize the 6500 was the replacement for the 4590. I guess if I'm looking at an i5 that's only $20 more than the 4590 but $109 vs $179 just feels like a way bigger gulf.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 9, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm on an Athlon II X3 :haw:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What's the most processor+motherboard I can get for $400 hard cap including cooling?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zero. posted:

Check what RAM you have first.
If its a DDR4 stick with that stuff although you could probaly spend less on the mainboard and more on the cooler but thats just nitpicking.

However if its a DDR3 you'll have to stick with the 1150 socket. In that case go for an i5 4690K and pick a mainboard whatever suits you best. Maybe you need a douzen USB slots or whatever - a decent example is the ASRock Z87 Extreme4. The cooler can stay the same as above

If you have the choice between DDR3 and DDR4 go for DDR4.

poo poo, I didn't realize socket 1151 boards don't work with DDR3, which I have. At least you've saved me a mishap.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zack Ater posted:

You don't happen to be near a Microcenter, do you? 6600k, ASRock Z170 Pro4 and 16GB DDR4 RAM was around $380 after (Ohio) tax. Drop to 8GB (or get an open box mobo if one's available) and you could probably squeeze in a Cooler Master 212 EVO cooler while you're there or order the Cryorig online.

That's where I intend to shop, I'm just mad because I spent like $40 on some DDR3 a few months ago. This sounds like a plan.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
i5-6600k + ASRock Z170M Pro4S LGA 1151 mATX?

How's that? Any other inexpensive cooling I should look at other than the Cooler Master 212 Evo mentioned earlier?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Don't you stop running in dual channel mode with three sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Why are RAM prices insane right now? I am unaware of any notable natural disaster that would slow supply.