Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Falken posted:

Alright then, so my PC build is (mostly) 4 years old, and it still kind of holds up these days since I upgraded from an AMD 7850 to a GTX 970 4gb.

Processor: i5 3570k
motherboard: Gigabyte z77-d3h
RAM: Samsung Green (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz
GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 4gb

I'm not sure where to go from here. I was thinking either swap out the RAM to 16gb of 2400MHz DDR3 as a short term solution, or buy a new case, PSU, MB, CPU and RAM, and throw the 970 in there. I feel that the CPU is still up to the task, but I might be completely out on that.

Overclock the CPU (maybe get a cooler, if you don't have one), and get an SSD. Maybe start thinking about PSU change? Otherwise it's still fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

People will be selling off their 970/980Tis/380s when the GPUs hit their market. So buying a new 960/380 now seems like a bad idea. Since you can get a used one for cheaper, or get the 480 for a sameish price.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Time for an upgrade, currently on a Core i5 3570k/GTX 770 combo and that's not cutting it for games in the way I want anymore.

You can save money and just overclock that CPU if you're not doing that already and change the GPU only.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sharzak posted:

I bought the goon-approved value system around the time I registered my forums account and it's been performing great but starting to show its age a bit. I'm using the i53570K, an nvida 670, and 8GB of RAM. I just play games on 1080p pretty much. This will run Overwatch and Total Warhammer on Mediumish with no issues but I'd like to push it a little. What should I upgrade first, and to what?

Just buy a (non-reference) RX 480 or 1060. That should get you 1080p/60 on Ultra without too many issues. Stick a CPU cooler and overclock the CPU if you haven't already. Also, if you don't have one, get an SSD.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Buffis posted:

Is it worth upgrading a
Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz

to something newer?
I bought this thing back in 2011 but the improvements since them seem pretty small in terms of GHz?

Overclocked Sandy Bridge is still potent today. But either way comparing performance of CPUs between generations/companies based on GHz alone doesn't really work.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Bonobos posted:

So what is the go to manufacturer for the gtx 1070 / 1080 this generation? For the 970 it was the msi, but I've been reading mixed reviews about coil whine for the the 1070 and 1080. I'm specifically looking for the quietest possible model, with clock speed and overclock-ability second to it not sounding a jet engine as I'm sensitive to noise. The msi 970 was nice as it was passive when not in use, anyone have any cards they would recommend?
Asked the same question a month ago or so. Asus strix and Zotac were recommended to me. I went with Asus 1070 and I'm pretty satisfied with it, works as well as my old MSI 970.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

MisterAlex posted:

These are the parts I'm looking at recommending instead, since I have a hard time recommending an AMD chip for any kind of gaming machine...
Mobo: MSI H170I Pro AC [$120]
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 [$118]
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB [$135]
RAM: Kingston DDR4-2133 (2x 4GB) [$42]
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB [$63]
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W [$100]
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S [$50]

1. Am I at least giving him as much power as his initial build?
2. Is my part list okay, or should I swap anything out? Am I "overbuying" anywhere?

You could go for a cheaper H110 Mobo and squeeze in a 470/480/1060 depending on how much you can stretch that budget.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

gfanikf posted:

So this is my current computer build. It somehow runs Battlefield 1 on low. I would like to build a new system eventually, but that might be a few months down the road. I'm wondering if a GTX 1060 (6gb) might help in upping framerates or is the CPU too old that it would essentially bottleneck any improvement from the GPU. Keep mind the GPU would go into the new system. Also I'm not even sure if the Motherboard would work with this GPU.

Core i5 2500K LGA 1155
GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card
P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard
8gm Ram
EVO Mid Tower ATX Case
Power Supply is a OCZ 750 watts

EDIT: I'd also be fine with a bridge card like this one.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/471800/GeForce_GTX_1050_Ti_GAMING_X_4GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

EDIT: Well went with the bridge card, based on some posts with other people who had i5 2500k it should take care of all my issues.

The 2500k won't be a bottleneck for a 1060. Overclock that poo poo and ride it for the next x years.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yes

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darkoni posted:

Hey guys It's my first time building a new computer and I have no idea what parts are good. I have two lists from pc part picker that are identical, excepting the mobo and the cpu.

The first build is much better, but you can save some money and get a H81/H97 motherboard. AMD CPUs aren't really competetive at the moment when it comes to gaming. The top of the line FX-8350 trades blows with modern i3s for example.

You could also just go for a i5-6500 + DDR4 memory and a H110 MB for a similar price.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Screama posted:

What would you recommend instead?

You can grab a 1060 for a similar price.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aesculus posted:

I'd still recommend keeping at least 250GB of NVMe sweetness, just to store Windows on. Your boot times will go from "0.1 seconds" to "press button, receive login screen".

Is this with Windows fast boot or whatever it's called turned on? I had to turn it off because it hosed up some drivers.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I've got an ASUS Z87-C motherboard with an i5 4670k and a 1070 in it. If I don't care about boot support will I be able to stick a 600p or a 960EVO in the PCIE slot and get that sweet sweet extra SSD space?

EDIT:
I notice that the 600p is M.2 only, so a adapter would be needed, but other than that would everything work fine?

mmkay fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 7, 2017

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I've noticed my power supply ( Seasonic S12II-520) is almost a year past its 3 year warranty so I thought it was time for an upgrade. I figured another 500-550W unit should be more than enough for my usage (overclocked i5-4570k and a 1070), except this time I'd grab a modular one instead.

I remember seeing the EVGA G2 Supernova recommended here, anything else I should look into? I live in Poland so no need to post US sales. The only other thing I would like to have are slightly longer SATA power cables - I have 4 devices currently connected to the PSU (in a Corsair carbide 200R case) and the cables are kind of tense and could loose connection when fiddled around.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

EVGA G2 or G3 are both good. The G3 is an updated design that is also a little smaller. The corsair RMx units are also fine, and often recommended.

I am not an expert in polish, but these look like them here.
https://www.morele.net/zasilacz-evga-supernova-g3-550w-220-g3-0550-y1-1103092/
https://www.morele.net/zasilacz-corsair-rm550x-80plus-gold-550w-cp-9020090-eu-779365/

Cool, thanks for the recommendations!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Unless you're replacing your old kit, whatever the RAM you already have is clocked at.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

What country are you in?

United States

What are you using the system for?

Gaming, I want to get back into WoW this summer. My goal is upper end graphics with a stable 60fps at 1080. Maybe play some RTS games? I do most my fps games on my console with my friends.

What's your budget?

Sub 1000? I'm not sure what's reasonable anymore. I have a full size tower, a stupid 1000 watt psu, drives, and DDR3 ram if it matters. I'm looking to replace CPU, GPU, Motherboard, and RAM if needed.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?

I have a 1080p Asus monitor and 1080p 48 inch tv I'd like to use, they should be acceptable for my usage.

Thanks in advance. I attempted looking for parts today and in simply so far out of my depth now days I'm not sure what's even worth looking at.

Depending on what CPU you already have, you could probably just stick a 1060 (and maybe get an SSD if you don't have one already) and be done with it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm currently on a stock 4690k.

If you're only gaming, overclock it to 4.5 and check back in 3 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Guni posted:

Also, go for an i3-7100, it's a generation newer.

I think with Kaby Lakes it's even better to go down to Pentiums, since they've got 2 Cores + Hyperthreading now.