Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Luna Was Here posted:

I think it was this thread someone posted a link to the little bit of software that turned off all the Windows 10 background tracking stuff, was wondering if anyone in here had a link to that, im not finding anything with the searcher
There's a bunch, but I used ShutUp10 https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 No installation needed, very simple to use and it lets you make a restore point before making any changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Imagined posted:

I just bought a 970 in March. :( God loving dammit. Before I did I scoured the internet for a month looking for a hint of a release date on these things. gently caress gently caress gently caress.
I bought one like three weeks ago, after doing the same thing... :v: Well, it should still be good for 1080p for a long time right???

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
My sister's laptop is crapping out on her and I'm getting that upgrade itch, so I was thinking of upgrading my CPU, RAM and motherboard and giving her parts of my current desktop.

What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for?
Gaming at 1080p 60Hz. Want to run modern games at ultra settings with 60FPS. I also use the Dolphin emulator.

What's your budget?
Around $500, preferably a bit less

My current build is

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.40 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($444.89 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1046.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-01 00:04 EDT-0400

I want to go with AMD for the CPU this time around. I'm uneasy about overclocking so I was thinking about the Ryzen 5 2600X. I'm also unsure about what to look for in a motherboard? And I'm wondering how much of an upgrade I'd see from going from Haswell to Ryzen. Suggestions are appreciated!

EDIT: Oh and I wanted to stick with 16GB RAM as well.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This would be my suggestion, unfortunately it blows your budget by ~$100: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cJyC6s

You could drop down to a 2600 non-X (which slices $55 off the above total), but everything I've heard says the ASRock Taichi X470 is ~the board~ to get for Ryzen, because they cut the fewest corners with it, and thus it'll likely give you way less issues over the lifespan of Socket AM4. You could also likely chop an additional :10bux: or :20bux: off going with DDR4-3000 and/or G.Skill, but I know the LPX are guaranteed Samsung B-Die, which plays very nicely with Ryzen.

Also bear in mind that you'll need a new PSU - since your sister's 'new' PC will need one, or you will. Thankfully, you can snag good 80+ Gold units for not a lot these days. 650W EVGAs with 9-12 year warranties have been as cheap as $60-70 after rebate: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8PJtt6/evga-supernova-g1-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-120-gp-0650-x1
Wasn't ready for that motherboard price! I'll keep all that in mind though and look out for sales, hopefully soon. And yeah she'll still have to buy a few things like a case and monitor as well but this should be a better deal for her than getting another lovely laptop.

Thanks!

EDIT: How bad would it be to go with the board listed in the OP? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mfBrxr/msi-x370-gaming-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-pro

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 1, 2018

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Any X370 board isn't guaranteed to be one that'll run a 2xxx series Ryzen CPU natively. If you get one that hasn't be pre-flashed, you've got down time waiting for AMD to send you one of their flashing kits.

Also, the X470 is way less finicky with RAM than the 300-series chipsets were. Anything above DDR4-3000 on the 300-series boards was the purview of buying specific memory SKUs from specific vendors, and even then there was often crossing of fingers involved that it'd work at the rated speed. Lastly, ASRock's made the least buggy boards - the X470 Taichi is what *I'd* be using if I were rolling a Ryzen rig, but I'll admit I'm making the recommendation simply because 1) I know it's a good board and widely regarded as the best upper-mid-range board out there, and 2) you seem to be fond of keeping your computers around for a while, and last I checked, Socket AM4 is planned to be phased out in 2020, so you probably can count on Zen II (since the 2xxx series are more or less 'Ryzen 1.5') and the Zen II refresh being usable on your board.

Also bear in mind you aren't locked into getting an X470. The B450 chipsets are out now as well (but I still maintain the X470's a better choice/option for longevity's sake): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rm9ZXP

I see. I'll probably spend the extra cash on the first board you recommended if it'll be better in the long run. And yeah I don't upgrade often, my current CPU/motherboard combo is about four years old. Partly why I want to go with the 2600X. I guess I could just try to overclock the 2600 and save some money but I'll think about it.

Thanks for the advice!