Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Holy poo poo that The Verge video.

I thought he drew a nice picture on that CPU with all that thermal paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Looking to build a new PC to replace my geriatric 2012 build. I'm planning to start purchasing parts this weekend if I can find everything in stock.

Country - USA
System Use - Mostly gaming.
Budget - About $1,500, not including the parts I've already purchased. Wouldn't mind going ~ $100 more if the extra cost is worth it
Monitor - Acer Predator XB271HU (2560x1440) 144Hz with G-sync for games and some old (1920×1080) secondary monitor for Discord/web browser/whatever else I have open

Here is what I got so far.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Inland - Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $189.38)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $85.49)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($25.00) (Will purchase from trusted goon BrownThunder)
Total: $1,381.95 (after removing already purchased parts)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 00:00 EDT-0400

A few questions about my build:

*I know the 1000w PSU is overkill for this build. I bought it about a year ago when I saw it that cheap without thinking I would probably wouldn't need that much wattage. I've read on this thread that PSUs are most efficient at 50% load so would it be worth to get a different PSU at a lower wattage?
*I've heard the CPU fans that come with Ryzen are decent for a modest OC. Should I stick with that or would it be worth it to get another CPU fan?
*Should I bother replacing the case fans on the Meshify C and if so what are some suggestions?
*Anything else you guys may see that I missed?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the advice.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

Stickman posted:

Build looks great! 32GB RAM is an overkill for gaming, so you could pretty easily drop that down to 16 unless you have another application for it. I'd also consider the extra $10-20 to upgrade to 3600MHz RAM if you have RAM-heavy applications.

The 1000W G3's efficiency curve really isn't much different from the 650W G3, especially in the 300-400W range were you'll likely be under load (it's even a little bit better on the top end). I wouldn't bother downgrading.

The stock fan is fine. I'd start with that and consider an upgrade if you find it too loud or hot.

This is another place where it's easy to with stock and upgrade if it seems to hot/loud. That said, it's nice to have at least one extra intake on the Meshify C. I'm partial to Noctua (NF-A12x25 PWM or NF-A14 PWM), but they're relatively expensive and the color scheme isn't for everyone. I know there's another model that people swear by, but I'm totally blanking :/ Corsair, Cooler Master, and Be Quiet! also have top-notch fans in the same price range.

I was struggling when choosing between 32GB at 3200MHz vs 16GB at 3600MHz but you convinced me to go with the 16GB option. I'll see how everything is with stock fans and add some later if I feel the need.

orange juche posted:

From what Gamers Nexus has said the upgrade from R5 3600 to R7 3700x is not worth it if your primary use is gaming. The two extra cores and 4 threads do not make a difference that is worth the 129 dollar price premium for a 3700x. It's like a <5% increase in gaming loads, , and the 3600 kicks the snot out of the 2700x or the 2600x. 3700x is a huge increase in productivity loads that can use the additional 4 threads and 2 cores but if you don't need them the 3600 is absolutely bang for the buck king.

Save the 129 bucks and put it into pushing your GPU to a 2080 Super. Or put it to faster ram, or more storage.

I know the 3600 is the better value but I'm the idiot who's trying to future proof a bit with the extra cores. It'll probably bite me in the rear end.

I was going to start purchasing this weekend but right now neither the CPU or GPU are in stock anywhere. If I end up having to wait until the 2080 Super comes out I may rethink the CPU.

Thanks for the help both of you! :)

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
I built a PC back in August with the help of this thread and everything was wonderful until last night. While playing some games, the CPU cooler fell off and the PC shut itself down. I have a 3700x and was using the stock Wraith Prism cooler. Turns out one of the retention brackets on the motherboard snapped.

Instead of dealing with replacing the bracket, I figure I might as well just upgrade to a cooler that will give me better temperatures, less noise, and actually screw into the motherboard instead of clipping on. What is a good upgrade to the stock cooler? It's all in a Fractal Design Meshify C case if the space requirement is an issue.

In hoping the CPU is fine after all this :ohdear: